BASICS LANDSCAPING CO INC

Founded 1992 • With Angi since June 2010

4.3

1971 DEER PARK AVE

Deer Park, NY 11729

Full service Lawn Maintenance company and top notch Award Winning landscape and masonry design and install company. We have reliable employees that have been with us for years, the office staff is always ready to help with any questions or concerns regarding any services we provide.

07/23/2018

Deb B.

Do NOT recommend this company for any reason.

Description of Work
Overall completely incompetent at anything other than lawn maintenance

Category landscaping, drain pipe, hardscaping

09/01/2017

Justin B.

Over the course of a week, I interviewed a total of three Landscape designers, all located within 10 miles of my home. I got along very well with Jay from Basics Landscaping. He came to the house within days of me first calling to make an appointment. He had a positive attitude, was very approachable, had an idea for a phased approach to the landscaping, listened to my needs, explained his thought process and our options out loud, took measurements, and provided me with an actual estimate before he left, which by the way, not all landscapers do. A week later, my wife and I scheduled a follow-up meeting with him at his office nearby. We asked to include some additional work, and we settled on the price. We wanted to have the work done right away. The very next day, after we made our first payment, a crew of about six people arrived just before 8AM to start working. You could tell that the crew had been with the company for a while. They were very friendly, professional, and approachable. They worked a total of three consecutive days from approximately 8AM to 4PM. When the work was done, the foreman Frankie went over the sprinkler system, walked the yard with me, and answered any questions I had. It's been one week later, and we are all still thrilled with the work. I feel like Basics Landscaping also included some extras, and went over and beyond what we paid for in terms of prepping the backyard, which we hope to further develop next spring. I would highly recommend the team at Basics Landscaping. We had a very positive experience, and feel like we received a good value for what we paid. We'll be continuing with them for regular lawn maintenance service, as well.

Description of Work
We had recently built a second floor dormer, and our front yard was completely torn up to comply with the County's new cesspool requirements. Our front yard looked like Jones Beach. Our in-ground sprinkler system was ruined. We also needed work in the backyard, as well as the sides of the yard, since overgrown trees and roots were causing trip hazards. This was going to be a big project.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, tree service, hardscaping

07/31/2017

LINDA B.

The crew arrived at approximately 7:30am. I spoke with the foreman (Frankie) to let him know exactly where I wanted the stone and spigot. The crew worked feverishly all day - breaking only for lunch. The work was completed by 3:30pm. The result? Spectacular. The end product far exceeded my expectations. The area (and surrounding area's) were left immaculate.

Description of Work
Newly fenced in vegetable garden with seating area, was in desperate need of some hardscaping/walkway to make maneuvering easier. I have a lilac stone path that goes around my deck area, thru a small side garden, ending at one of the main gates for the backyard (which was also done by Basics several years ago). I wanted to match this stone in the veggie bed/seating area. The area also needed an accessible water outlet (spigot).

01/05/2016

marc P.

not well

Description of Work
very poor problem resolution

01/01/2016

Lucy G.

03/19/2015

joyce M.

08/25/2014

Victoria M.

If you are looking to do a big job I recommend asking for professional plans. Farah sent me a hand written sketch via e-mail which in the end there was miscommunication because of the confusion with reading the plans. I was quoted for 10 Leyland Cypress trees. I explained other landscapers had estimated $1200 for 12 trees. This was Farah's response: and quot;You have a 30' run on the side that will be getting trees, we plant 4' apart so 10 is more than plenty and they will grow into each other eventually. If you are getting priced for 12 it concerns me that they are giving you tiny trees. I can add the tree and perennials if you like but they would be additional, I cannot throw those things into the existing price.and quot; In the end I needed the 12 trees because there is a big open space. Farah agreed there should have been 12 and offered to plant two more for $400. They cut down a live tree and never replaced it. Another landscaper had shown me his retail book explaining he would only charge me for the labor and would get me the trees at cost. 5-7 ft Leyland trees cost $75.00 each. Farah charged me $195.00 each. We were quoted for 30-36and quot; bushes, we got 12and quot; and the reason given was there were no more 30-36and quot; bushes and they were the same price as the 12and quot;. We were upgraded with and quot; Usedand quot; Belgium Blocks instead of brand new. An Additional 30 yards of Top Soil was added which Farah had said should have been another $1,500 which they did not charge for. No seeds were planted in the back because they did not recommend due to the Summer heat. Seeds were planted in the front and the grass is growing. The workers arrived early in the morning, worked till about 8pm at night. They all did a great job and worked really hard all day. It was extremely hot that day and they never gave up. They completed the job in one day. I made the appointment May 14th everything was completed end of July. Both my cars did get flat tires from parking on the gravel they laid down. We found old nails, bolts and wires. Farah was great with always following up with me, answering my e-mails, she actually came to the house because she could not get in touch with via phone. I asked Farah to come see the job after it was done for an inspection and she did. She looked at my property via satellite and was able to draw up the plans and the estimates without needing to come to the house and take measurements. Not sure if what we paid was reasonable or not. I was expecting more for what we paid. We did get quotes from other landscapers and driveways that were about $2k less which included more. I had asked for a small weeping tree, some perennials and was told for an additional cost. I thought $10,590 would cover that. I just received an e-mail from Farah a month after the job was done asking if I wanted to pay another $400.00 to get my driveway sealed. So I just spent $10,590 in cash and they want to charge me $400 to seal my driveway? I was shocked to learn this was not included. My driveway is 31 x 31. Farah, I believe I was fair in this review. I have already stated that I was very pleased with the work your men did and that you were great with responding and following up. What I was always unhappy about and I had already shared this with you was the price, which it seems I am not the only one. Yes, I agreed and signed off, but after I did I regretted paying so much for what I got. After the job was completed I expected more. The shrubs were smaller and some of the trees were thinner which I had brought to your attention. That is also why I asked the question if anyone feels this was expensive for what was given or is this about right? I am just sharing my experience and being truthful with everything I shared. You quoted me in your response and I had already written the same thing in my review. I am not sure why you are passing judgment on the other landscapers that I got quotes from labeling them as and quot;a guy in a truckand quot;. I showed you one estimate. I am not sure if you are familiar with that company. I had received other quotes on paper, not in e-mail and never had the chance to scan and e-mail them to you.

Description of Work
Removed about 6 dead trees 1 live tree and stump removal and install 10 Leyland Cypress Trees 5ft Tall (Priced at $195 a tree) - I asked for 12, Farah thought 10 was enough, in the end we needed 2 more which Farah agreed but told us it was another $400 Rip out and prep for new 6-8" RCA rolled are and install 2" hot poured asphalt. Includes sleeves for future access to under driveway. Approx 900 square feet. New driveway 31 x 31. Belgium Block Border for Driveway and recessed Belgium Block Curb Moved Fence 15 Feet up from Back to meet corner of house add 20 yards of Fresh Topsoil Rip and remove shrubs against house and install 6 evergreen Shrubs (estimate was for 30-36" we got 12") Install Dyed Mulch for new bed

Category decks, landscaping, tree service

We are a professional company that has been in business for 30 years, our company offers superior work at a fair price. I had emailed you over the sketch and you approved it, it was very clear and descriptive. All the services you were receiving were typed up on an estimate that you signed, I am not sure why you thought extra plantings and services would have been included in your original install price. Every service performed either home construction or landscaping has upkeep. We offer these services to help our customers keep their new investment looking spectacular. All professional landscape companies charge a certain percentage on new plantings if they are warranting them. If a company is charging you $100 for a tree and they are paying $75 for the tree and only $25 on labor they are not warranting it so you are not comparing apples to apples and this is the biggest problem we run into in our industry. Every company offers something different as far as design, sizing and material so it is very unfair to compare an award winning Landscape Company to a guy in a truck. Im sorry you feel as though you did not get your moneys worth but you did say and I quote... "The work your team did was incredible. Your guys really worked hard all day and you were right, everything looked amazing when they were done and there were no stones left unturned. We were very pleased with how quickly everything was done and you were always great with keeping me updated and getting back to me"

06/25/2014

Deb B.

They are responsive. The quality is more than just good. The cost is a little bit more, but they turned our lawn from dandelions into a green lawn and fixed all our sprinklers. They were very good. I would definitely recommend them to somebody else. Their price is not as wonderful as everybody would like but definitely competitive. With regard to responsiveness, they are always there.

Description of Work
We use Basics Landscaping for lawn and yard work. They also fixed all our sprinklers.

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems

04/30/2014

Suzanne L.

I normally don't review service providers whom I didn't hire, but this company has earned this negative review through two separate experiences. When I first moved out to Long Island three years ago, I was looking for ideas for my yard. I thought it might be useful to get a landscape designer to look at my property and draw up some plans. At the suggestion of a neighbor, I went to Basics. I filled out a form with my contact information and a description of my project. Never heard from them. Not a peep. No big deal at the time, because I hired lawn care company who helped do some updates to the property, and I moved on to other projects. Fast forward to last fall. For the previous two summers I was maintaining my own property, but didn't have time to do the fall clean-up myself. I came to Angie's List to look for some help and found Basics again. Thought I'd give them another shot. I called them, and was told by the person that answered the phone that the company was very busy and it would be at least two weeks before they could do the job. I said, okay, but could they send someone out to price the job for me. 'No problem,' was the answer. They'd send someone within the week to look at the property and give me a price. No one came. No one called. Finally, about four weeks later (after I had found someone else to do the job), someone called to say that they were sorry, they wouldn't be able to do my job. At least they called. I guess. They clearly have enough business that they don't need to be professional in dealing with potential new customers. In the end, I was lucky. I found another company that has been terrific and whom I have hired to do my regular lawn and sprinkler maintenance. As for Basics, they don't want your business, so don't bother.

Description of Work
Two different times I contacted them for service and they didn't come through both times.

Category decks

I am so sorry you feel as though we do not want your business. We get back to everyone who calls, emails or comes into the showroom within 48 hours. What normally happens with Maintenance customers is we sign contracts to service you for the year, so we are unable to take houses on just to do clean ups. When someone requests a fall clean up we try to accommodate them if at all possible, however we give our contracted customers two fall clean ups and guarantee one prior to Thanksgiving. So when you called you were told it would be after Thanksgiving if possible. We then left you a message on 11/22 prior to Thanksgiving that due to the extreme weather we were unable to service your property. With all the snow we were backed up on our contracted customers, hence the phone call that we were unable to assist you. We appreciate your feedback and are always looking to improve our services for new and existing customers. Farah Manager/Designer

04/09/2014

John M.

They were great to deal with right from the start. Great communication from the quoting process to the finished job. Farah, in sales, was great. The crew that came to the house was very thoughoro. They cleaned up after every day, so it appeared they weren't even there. The crew forman, James was also excellent to work with. Constinanlt asking questions and listening to my requests. They added the extra little details that make the completed job awesome. I couldn't be happier.

Description of Work
They removed an old slab patio and installed a new paving stone patio and walkway.

08/31/2013

Paul S.

The company arrived on time with a job foremen ready to go to work. The foreman was fantastic as he walked us through every detail as the worked progressed. The old deck was neatly and quickly cut up and carted off. As the worked was getting done our salesman Jay continued to come to our home to make sure we were on track. The crew was very knowledgeable and had fantastic vision for our home. The work was completed above and beyond anything we could have imagined. BASICS LANDSCAPING paid amazing attention to detail. When the project was completed I did not have to pick up a broom. My home was spotless. Great job. We highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
New paver patio as well as pavers for entire pool area. Removed old decking.

Category decks, hardscaping, patios

07/15/2013

Julie R.

They come out every year to maintain our sprinkler system and any lawn keeping that we need done. We have been very satisfied with their work, they are very professional, and we will continue to use them. Frankie comes out every year and he is very knowledgable, easy to work with, and professional.

Description of Work
We have used Basic for several years and we have been very satisfied.

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems

06/26/2013

LINDA B.

Day 1 thru day 3: Crew chief James (along with his crew of 4 men) arrived promptly each day at about 7:20am. Day 1 consisted of site preparation (ripping out existing vinyl siding, installation of tar paper, metal lath and and quot;mudand quot; to the walls. Days 2 and 3: installation of cultured stone and blue stone drip ledge. Work was done at a painstakingly pace until approximately 6pm. After each days work, the area was cleared and cleaned. The crew took ultimate care to preserve my landscaping (moving bushes/plants when necessary). I'm a gardener. This was VERY important to me!! During day 1, James showed me an area of rot to one of my walls. Thankfully, this was a and quot;quick fixand quot;. Which was completed in no time. As with all projects, design issue's arose. James and I would discuss them, and quickly come to a decision. The finished product is nothing short of magnificent! I wasn't home when the crew finished the work. Upon my return, I couldn't believe it!! My home and garden were spotless!!

Description of Work
Installed cultured stone 4' high wall to facade of house, with bluestone cap. Installed cultured stone surround to garage doors.

08/30/2012

LINDA B.

I've actually known and dealt with this company for many years, but only for mulch, propane tank refills, and other minor supplies. One day, while refilling a propane tank, I took notice to their outdoor kitchen display, and asked them to come to my home to give me an estimate for one. Within 2 days, Jay came to my home, listened closely to what my needs/wishes were, and gave me an estimate on the spot. I had previously received 2 estimates: one higher, and one lower than Basic's. But, since I had known them for many years, and I simply liked all of Basic's employee's responsiveness, I decided to hire them. Prior to project, a detailed contract was drawn up, describing all work and charges to expect. My granite top came from Yorkshire Stone, who has a showroom just a few blocks from Basic's. (granite top was included in the price). Several days before start date, as well as the day before, Basic's called to confirm start date and time. On starting day, crew arrived on time. Work was quickly, and neatly completed. Crews foreman, James, kept me informed on progress. The whole project took 3 days. At the end of EACH day, the work area was left neat and tidy. The quality of their work is outstanding. They truly are craftsmen at what they do.My experience with Basic's was wonderful. Everyone that works there is a pleasure to deal with. In fact, I was so overwhelmingly satisfied with Basic's, that I have since taken them on as my weekly landscape maintenance company and my in-ground sprinkler company. But, thats another review!!I also plan on putting a stone facade on my home (I already have an estimate from Basic's!!), and will hopefully begin this fall.

Description of Work
Extended existing deck (approx. 3.5' x 12.5'). Built an outdoor kitchen with stone face & granite top. Installed (provided) grill, refrigerator, pizza oven, etc. Moved inground sprinklers, as needed for installation. Installed random stone pathway (approx. 50') in yard. Re-surfaced/installed blacktop to existing basketball court in yard, and driveway.

Category decks, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, driveway pavers, hardscaping

05/09/2012

Robin R.

I love these people. The guy came exactly when he said he'd come. I had no idea what he wanted and he was able to communicate what he thought was a good idea. I was able to get a mental vision of it and when it was done it was exactly the same as my mental vision. As for my path, I had spoken to so many people about it and no one knew what I was talking about. He got it and he installed it and it looks like it's been there for 100 years. I love my front porch and my path. Even when I don't walk out there, I open the door to look. When I do look out there it amazes me. This is one of those houses where the only entrance is at the driveway and people always came in the driveway or walked across the lawn. Now they follow the route of the path. Even when an ambulance came they followed the route of the path. It was a great, capital G, experience. They were very helpful in figuring out how we were going to do this; we asked if they offered any financing. We had just got done paying for a wedding and putting two kids through college. They didn't have any financing but he suggested a zero interest credit card and it turned out perfectly. We were able to pay it off in four installments.

Description of Work
Basics Landscaping Company built a porch for us about a month ago. We had a stoop that had a hole in it and we were just waiting for people to sue us. We were looking all over for someone to do it but it was a small project. We finally found these people. I also talked to him about a path; I didn't want a flat path, I wanted a roving path of stones.

ERIC JANSSEN MASONRY CONTRACTOR LLC

Eric Janssen Masonry is a classic small business, owner operated and with one long term employee. Eric specializes in the small jobs and repairs that other companies don't. You will be working with Eric from start to finish. He is present on the job site during all phases of job, from initial estimate to clean up. Most of our company's work is obtained by recommendation or referral only.

Milestone Restoration & Roofing Inc

A BBB ACCREDITED COMPANY Milestone Inc specializes in Masonry Restoration, Brick Pointing, Brick Restoration, Cement stucco ,Flat Roofing Installations & Repair, Slate Roofing Repairs, and work related to Hanging Scaffolding and Pipe Scaffolding Services. With good reputation and over 30 years combined experience, we know how to give homes and businesses that "like-new" appearance while ensuring your Safety. Our basic categories include: brick tuck pointing, brick siding, scaffolding work , natural slate roofs,and flat roofs (our specialty). We don't use sub contractors because we like to monitor and complete all projects ourselves. DCA License #1405707 Exp. 02/28/2023 2014 Angie's List Super Service Award Winner - 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 2018 and 2019

High Level Masonry

All phases of masonry, pavers, concrete, brick, block, stone work and veneer, anything masonry. Thirty years plus of experience. No job to small or to big. Fourth generation master mason, owner and operator. We take pride in what we do and provide exceptional quality.

2022 Super Service Award

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available

Masonry construction, patios, decks, driveways, walkways, fencing, 3-D design plans, stone veneer, retaining walls, pool coping, waterfalls, dry ponds, lawn maintenance, chemical applications, plantings, mulching annuals, pots, pergolas, sheds, gazebos, sprinkler system installation, sprinkler system maintenance, drainage...everything for the exterior of your home!!