Decks Unique Inc

Founded 1988 • With Angi since April 2011

119 Commack Rd

Commack, NY 11725

Decks Unique is a Long Island deck builder who designs custom decks, pergolas and gazebos. Our other services include long island deck builder, deck contractor, deck design, custom decks, Nassau County decks, Suffolk County decks, pergolas, awnings & gazebos. Award winning....

07/27/2022

Justin B.

Great work. The team finished the trex deck on the side of my house in about 7 hours. It looks incredible and the team was a pleasure to work with. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Build a trex patio/deck connected to side of house.

05/06/2022

Kathryn W.

Receptionist was very nice - set up an estimate with someone who failed to send me info prior. She called to apologize and then set up an appointment with "Jason". Jason sent an offensive email stating that all of the decision makers must be present at the time of the estimate. Really dude? Did you think a 6 year old called you for the estimate? News flash - anyone setting up an appointment has made the decision already that they'll be doing business. Strike #1 -- An hour before the scheduled appointment, the receptionist called and said Jason had to cancel because traffic was bad in the Hamptons and he wouldn't make it back in time. Strike #2 (Traffic is always bad in the Hamptons - you shouldn't have scheduled an appointment if you knew you'd be out there). Rescheduled appointment - One half hour before, Jason called to say he'd be late -- He had a client who couldn't decide on the product that he needed to swing by to see. -- Strike #3 --- Glad it happened before hiring. There are serious time management issues here. If you're not interested in obtaining new clients, this is the business model. Would not recommend

Description of Work
demolition and rebuild of large pool deck

07/09/2021

Joseph D.

Yesterday we had our deck installed by Decks Unique. I had a good feeling about what we were going to be getting after we initially consulted with our salesman. He was great, and didn't try to oversell us. The deck was installed in ONE day! Demolition of the old deck only took a little over an hour. When the building crew was beginning the basic deck layout, I asked to speak to the foreman..and they said speak to "Lou". As it turns out, he's the owner of the company. He was on site and making sure everything got started correctly, and was there most of the day. Very reassuring. The guys did an excellent job and worked like a well-oiled machine. The deck came out perfect! They cleaned up and were very careful around our property. I looked it over carefully, and saw nothing but perfection! So far, it's been less than 6 hours since the deck was built, and if it wasn't raining right now, I'd be out there marveling at our beautiful "Trex Enhance Foggy Wharf." If you are considering having a deck built, by all means...use Decks Unique!.

Description of Work
New Deck Construction

Category decks

Thank you for the wonderful review, Enjoy!

09/18/2019

Joseph M.

Everything went wonderfully from beginning to end. My wife & I couldn’t be happier. Everyone we dealt with was a professional. We would highly recommend DECKS UNIQUE to anyone.

Description of Work
Removal of existing deck & replacement with new.

03/20/2019

Sean C.

don't write reviews, not for lack of appreciation, but due a basic aversion to social networking and the internet in general. I made an exception in this case because my family did truly have an outstanding experience with Decks Unique as a company as well as with their people, Tom, Lou and the crew at the showroom. We have a small house with a large deck which sits directly on the water and the quality and look of this deck is directly related to how we enjoy the house and the overall value of the property. It is a big piece of the equation and we had a good deal of trepidation going into the research and selection of a construction firm. From beginning to end of the evaluation, Tom and his team came out on top, through their show room, 3D renderings, price and speed with turning around our design and general questions. They were very flexible with our scheduling and were consistently on-time and reliable. Most importantly the deck and the balcony associated with the deck have come out beautifully. The house has never looked better and their attention to the detailed carpentry and fit and finish exceeded our expectations. A final note, when we did find 2 small issues with spacing of railings on the deck, Lou, who was the foreman, came out personally and remediated the problem. A final final note, when I asked for a paid in full receipt for the work done for insurance purposes, they hand delivered it to the house in a day. I could not have asked for a better sales, customer service and deck delivery experience.

Description of Work
Large waterfront deck and balcony

02/27/2019

Damien M.

We needed a small deck or around our above ground pool and had no hesitation in calling Jason , which was the only call I made. This company had replaced my old deck after superstorm sandy and we couldn’t have been happier with the finished product. Again with this project we wouldn’t be disappointed. The design of Jason was flawless and the transition from paper(computer screen) to reality was as if it was photoshopped. Which is a testament to the craftsmen that constructed the deck. The work was done in super quick time and the yard was left as if no one had been back there working. If you want a deck built this is the company for you

Description of Work
Above ground pool deck

Category decks

It was a pleasure working with you and your family for the second time, thank you for your kind words and we hope you enjoy not one but 2 of your decks!

02/11/2019

Craig S.

This will be a long review, so grab a snack & a drink…My wife & I decided that ‘19 was financially & finally the year 2replace our 30yr old wood deck. Boards/spindles were loose, also not up to the current code w/the spindles being 2far apart (grandfathered). I flipped thru local home magazines, & started to “cold call places”, scheduling estimates. I ended w/a total of 7, w/Decks Unique being #6. I decided to get the 7th estimate, to solidify my decision. Flipping through magazines turned out 2be a “waste” in my book, as I didn’t even find them in a magazine. On 1/7/19, I hd the owner, Joe of Victorian Fence company, I used 2 yrs ago, come 2look @ some bottom rails on my fence panels, I felt were sagging. He could see my concerns, & w/o hesitation, set up a date for them 2be switched out. Technically, they weren’t sagging enough 2be covered by warranty, however, as a business owner, he made good, & took care of @ NO COST. At this point, you’re saying 2yourself, “why is he talking about his fence?” With all this care, & the customer 2owner connection, I politely asked him of any deck companies he recommends. He said “Decks Unique.” I asked him if there was any connection, & he stated, he has worked w/them in the past, as well as the great reviews online. Joe told me 2look online 4myself, & read. This is the epitome of that phrase “word of mouth.” I liked right away from what I read online, & w/o hesitation, I called Decks Unique (Kyriel-GM/Admin). From that 1st call, I sensed true care in her tone, professionalism, & w/o a doubt, having some1 come out 2me soon 4an estimate (based on my availability), in addition, a match for my needs. I am one, who stresses being punctual, timely communication, & professionalism, not 2mention a phenomenal job. I was able 2set up a consultation 4the next afternoon. As soon as I finished my convo w/Kyriel, an email was sent 2me confirming my appointment, as well as links on decking material 2better educate me, as well as introducing me 2who would be coming, & his background. Jason (Sales) was punctual, professional, patient, nice, & thorough w/his explaining the difference of decking materials, as well as showing me samples. After Jason showed up 4our estimate/consultation, I knew by this time, this was 1 distinction of them being “unique.” @the conclusion of our initial consultation, Jason stated again, that if I have any questions, 2send an email/call, & he’ll gt back 2me asap. He followed up later that night @10pm, w/a thank you 4allowing him into my home, & again, offered answers 2any questions I may have. Over the next several days, he returned several of my emails, & calls promptly, & worked w/me on my needs/price. Jason, & I set a follow up appt on 1/16, & w/my wife by my side, we finalized color, & specifics of our plan, & signed a contract. On 1/17, Jason sent me a sketch, & 3D renderings of what the project will look like (another “unique” touch). We set dates, only changing if weather didn’t permit), & all worked out. They had a company come 2my home & “demo” the old deck. Throughout this whole process, Kyriel was very communicative in touching base w/me on times of material being delivered, & crew showing up 2begin. It was ALL on point. Monday, 1/28, Lou (owner), John, & Thomas all began building my 2nd story deck shortly after 7am. It was complete on Wednesday, 1/30, 30 minutes b4 we received that “snow squall”/“vortex snow storm.” All 3 guys continuously worked in such xtreme cold conditions, leaving nothing short, bt phenomenal, awesome craftsmanship & perfection. After deck was complete, John, & Thomas did a full clean up of yard, & helped put the outside tables/chairs back on deck, & patio. When setting up the whole deck project, I informed Kyriel, that if work needed 2be completed after Wednesday, 1/30, (we would have to make special arrangements, as Thursday, 1/31), I would be unable 2be home, as I’ll be taking my dad in 4surgery. On Thursday afternoon, I received an email from Kyriel about the welcome kit I‘ll be receiving from Trex, & the necessary warranty information. She included @the bottom, “We hope your father is doing well.” I must say, what a class act this company is…& UNIQUE!!!! Upon completion, since weather was a bit crazy, w/the storm moving in, we bth collectively forgot about the flagpole holder, we hd agreed on them hanging for me. Since I was busy w/work, I called Kyriel on Monday 2/4. We both agreed that Wednesday, 2/6, would work 4both of us. As promised, John was waiting for me @ my house, & took care of it. From the point of me calling 2secure a consultation/estimate, until the flagpole holder was hung, Kyriel, Lou, John, Thomas, & Jason, ALL (this is what also makes them “UNIQUE”) were true professionals, fulfilled all promises, & most importantly spectacular awesome job. I’ve shown pics 2co-workers, & a few hv already expressed interest for future projects.

Description of Work
2nd Story Trex Deck

Category decks

Wow [Member Name Removed], Thank you so much for taking the time to write and express how your experience went with us all. We are grateful to have a customer like you. Welcome to our Decks Unique Family!! We all enjoyed working with you and hope you enjoy your new deck for many many years!

12/20/2018

David R.

Decks Unique are the best contractors I’ve ever hired (and I’ve hired plenty), and here’s why: They are highly professional. All quotes, bids, schedules and work are of the highest quality. They reviewed competitive quotes, and matched or bettered them. They built us a beautiful deck in three days-Amazing! They were really helpful and available throughout the whole selection process. They have a great showroom, which really helped us decide color and design (web sites do not represent colors and styles accurately. You really need to see it in person.) They are honest, hard working, and friendly. They did exactly what they said they would do, when they said they would do it. We found some issues with the foundation of our home after removing the old deck. They fixed it and didn’t even charge an additional fee. There were a few things they missed at completion (like anyone would) so I emailed them a punch-list, and they completed the work in seventy-two hours. I would never think of using another deck builder. These folks made a deck teardown/build (and not a small one, I might add) a completely painless experience, which in my history, is unheard of. This company gets an A+++ Thank you Lou and all at Decks Unique. Bravo!

Description of Work
Teardown Old and Build a New Deck

Category decks

We enjoyed working for you and your family, we hope you enjoy your new deck, it looks beautiful! Your kind and thoughtful words mean a lot to everyone at Decks Unique!

11/27/2018

Danielle L.

The process was seamless!! Lou Pagnutti and his team are efficient and professional. I could not have asked for a better experience. I have allready recommended them to our friends. We have a gorgeous deck thanks to the team at Decks Unique!!

Description of Work
New deck installation

Category decks

Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure working with you and your family, enjoy the deck!

10/25/2018

Robert G.

Excellent. Very professional. Beautiful work

Description of Work
Install deck

Category decks

Thank you for your review, enjoy the new deck

06/25/2018

Dana M.

Decks Unique, Inc. was amazing from start to finish. A top notch Trex installer and very competitively priced. When Jason, (Design Consultant) first came to our home to design and measure our deck, he was able to instantly generate a layout of our thoughts on a 3-D computer program. It was much easier to visualize on the screen and make any modifications we needed. Also, the estimate was immediate and he was able to incorporate pricing options within our budget. No waiting days or a week for an estimate like other installers. The crew was remarkable; very professional, always on-time and worked diligently to build our deck in one day. They worked as a team and were incredible down to every detail. Superior craftsmanship!

Description of Work
Deck & Railings

Category decks

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Enjoy and have a great summer!

06/09/2018

Cara C.

We had our old wood deck replaced with composite decking. My inquiry was responded to within a day and we had our estimate date set. Tom was our design consultant and he explained all our options, took measurements and gave us an estimate. Within a day, I received an email with a 3-D rendering of our project, with all the details. On the day of installation, the crew arrived at 7am right on schedule! They immediately began removing and clearing the old deck and hauled it all away. Within 20 minutes it was completely gone and they began construction on the new deck. By 12:30 pm, the new deck was complete! The crew was fantastic, professional and cleaned up after themselves. The new deck is beautiful and we couldn't be happier with the whole process!

Description of Work
Old wood deck replaced with composite decking

Category decks

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words about Decks Unique. Enjoy your deck, it was a pleasure working with you!

05/28/2018

Peter S.

Decks Unique provided professional services all around. From project assessment to quote, scheduling and execution. Quality work and a sizable crew had the job done in two days. Excellent experience. We can highly recommend team Decks Unique.

Description of Work
Resurfacing three decks with Timbertech

Category decks

Thank you! It was a pleasure working with you and enjoy your new deck!

02/23/2018

Joe T.

The overall process was very smooth. Jason, their sales rep, came to my home for a free estimate. He also provided several pictures of completed jobs through text message. Jason was thorough, courteous and was provided an estimate on the spot. We agreed on a price which happened to be the lowest of the three estimates I received. On the installation day the installers arrived early. The installers weren't the neatest in cleaning after the project but it wasn't terrible either. Overall, the process was quick and easy. I would recommend them to anyone!

Description of Work
Install new composite porch

09/21/2017

Debbie D.

They were courteous on the phone but they have yet to really come back to me with a date and time that they’ll come. I’ve been kind of chasing them for months. I told them what I needed she gave me a quote, she told me they were busy, that they’re obviously it was over the summer so it was a busy time for them. And she was going to send somebody over sort of when she could, but they never followed through with me. They quoted me for $250 for the maintenance that I described to them over the phone, actually I sent them pictures. I sent them some pictures of areas where the deck is sort of uneven or there are a couple of nails that need to be put back in to secure a few loose pieces, things like that. And they quoted me $250 for the maintenance. For that alone I would give them a good rating, because like I said she was courteous, she went back and forth with me, and she gave me the price I just haven’t gotten them to come to the house yet. The follow through in terms of actually getting someone to come with me wasn’t great. I thought that was very reasonable, the price, and she did communicate well with me with the email.

Description of Work
I told them what I needed, she gave me a quote.

Category deck cleaning

08/22/2017

Sonia B.

I called three contractors to give me estimates. All came in the ballpark as far as price. I decided to go with Decks Unique because of all the Angie's List reviews. They sent Jason to my house to take measurements and discuss design plans. He had all kinds of samples with him from the various composite decking manufacturing companies (ie. timbertech, azak, trex, etc.). We decided to go with the Trex Transcend line because we liked the look and quality of the product. We also liked the fact that Deck's Unique were qualified to put down any of the above listed manufactures. Some of the other contracting companies were pushing the products they were certified to install from the manufacturer. Once we decided to go with Deck's Unique, the process was very smooth. Jason sent me an email with the attachment of the CAD drawing and plans for the deck to review. He was always prompt with his responses to my email questions that arose. The projected date of the start of the job was the date the job started and ended. Deck's Unique came to my house at 7:15am with an army of workers. There had to be about 15 of them. One truck came to haul out my old deck. One truck came with the materials for my new deck and one truck came with all their tools. The forman introduced himself to me and asked me to move my vehicles away from the driveway because he didn't want the workers to accidentally damage my cars while moving materials in and out of the yard. By 3pm they were putting the finishing touches on my deck. By the end of the work day they were done. I had a new Trex deck and they did a great job cleaning up.

Description of Work
I needed my old cedar deck replaced with a composite one.

Category decks

Thank you for your kind words, It was a pleasure working with you and Enjoy your new deck.

08/21/2017

Andreas O.

Business never responded to my contact via angie's list.

Description of Work
Deck quote/build

Category decks

Hi [Member Name Removed], We do apologize, There must be a glitch with Angies list, We never received any information and I don't have you in our data base that you called. Please feel free to contact us at the our office 631-266-3004 if you still need an estimate, we would be more then happy to provide you with one.

06/27/2017

Richard L.

The job was completed on time and looked super.

Description of Work
Change top of deck from wood to Azek

Category decks

Enjoy! Thank you for taking the time to give us a review.

05/30/2017

Bob V.

Shortly after visiting their Commack showroom, Tom came out to my jobs site to evaluate the build and provide an estimate. Good vibes, knowledgeable and great suggestions about design and the Trex product sold me on this company. Pricing was within my budget and I loved the computer generated samples Tom provided. On install day Lou, Donald and the crew arrived as advertised and got right to work. Frankly, I was amazed at how quickly they had all parts of this build in process. Clearly a precision team - these guys love what they do and do it well. The completed project turned out better than I imagined. Thanks for doing a great job and providing a great experience.

Description of Work
Recently, I had the good fortune of selecting Decks Unique to design and build a Trex deck for a new pool.

Category decks

Thanks! It was a pleasure working with you. Enjoy your new deck.

03/29/2017

Lynn B.

Called Tom at Decks Unique for an estimate to do a new deck - a wrap around deck with lots of stairs - and the construction of a gazebo. He and Lou managed to put all my wants and desires into a price that was do-able. Not only did these guys arrive early and ready to go, but they worked tirelessly to complete the deck in one day. The second crew constructed the gazebo in the freezing wet weather of a New York March to complete it in one day. I've worked with many of the trades through the years and these guys stand out not only for their precision and skill, but for their professionalism and follow through.

Description of Work
Deck and gazebo design and construction.

Category decks

Thank you for your kind words we truly appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day. Have fun on your new deck!

03/15/2017

Ray A.

After a thorough search for a deck contractor, Deck's Unique was my clear choice because of the thoughtful ideas they provided, prompt explanations to follow up questions, and of course, the price! My choice proved to be a good one. They came prepared to work. Their efficiency is astounding. I was skeptical about the speed with which they said it would be completed, but after a detailed inspection of the work by myself and a friend who knows more than me, it is impeccable. Any questions I had after the work was completed were answered as promptly as before the work began. The final product far exceeded my expectations. I have attached some photos so you can judge for yourself. Thanks to Tom and Lou and the crew at Decks Unique! It is going to be a good summer!

Description of Work
New wood deck.

Category decks

It was also pleasure to work with you, I am glad the project came out just like you wanted. Enjoy your new deck this summer!

03/09/2017

Patrick K.

I would highly recommend Decks Unique, they are the truly the most professional company I came across. I interviewed with four certified Trex builders and they take the cake. From the initial design meeting, Jason provided a great design on his computer right in front of us and then showed us several pricing options, again right on the spot, to help us find a combination of deck and rail that fit our budget. Their pricing was right in the middle of their competition. When it came to the build, Lou and his crew were amazing. I couldn't believe the owner of the company was on site and framed my entire deck. Don, the foreman was a true craftsman, it is clearly evident the he and his crew are master carpenters. Thanks to all involved, a job well done, you can use me as a reference any time.

Description of Work
Designed and built a deck.

Category decks

It was our pleasure to work with you, Thank you for the great review and enjoy your new deck !

03/08/2017

Rachel G.

The service is great. They showed up on time and are very professional. They've done work for me before and the work is always exceptional! I would recommend them to anyone!

Description of Work
They put a composite timber deck in our back yard.

Category decks

Thank you, once again it was a pleasure to work with you.!

01/30/2017

Gerald G.

As planned. Work was well-organized and completed in one day, as promised. We noticed subsequently that one of the posts had a knot in it that could scratch passers-by or snag their clothing; when we called it to the company's attention, they sent a worker out promptly to sand down the know and repair the problem. Otherwise, no surprises.

Description of Work
Replace 40-year-old backyard porch, attached to second floor of house. .

Enjoy your new deck!

10/26/2016

alfred S.

I cant say enough about the professionalism Decks Unique. While we did not finally go with them I was extremely happy with the service they provided. Jason came out and showed us samples and went over every aspect of the build. He was VERY Knowledgeable and professional. He took the time showing us samples, giving his opinion when asked on what would be best for our particular situation on the front porch and the rear deck. A subsequent visit to the well maintained showroom I met with Louis, the owner. He then took the time with me to go over railings and color schemes that I was interested in. There was no rush or heavy sales pitch. I always felt like they were totally honest and up front. The only reason I didn't chose them to build was my wife over ruled me and gave the job to a friend of the family. I would highly recommend Decks Unique to anyone looking to do any size project. Thank you Louis for taking a complicated process and making it easy for the lay person to understand.....

Description of Work
Large rear deck and front porch.

Category decks

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your kind words about our service.