Zenner & Ritter Home Services

Founded 1930 • With Angi since July 2006

3404 Bailey Ave

Buffalo, NY 14215

Zenner & Ritter Home Services is a woman owned family business offering residential and light commerical services since 1930. Presently we maintain a staff of over 40 professionals with a fleet of vehicles to provide prompt service. Promotions vary based on the type of service (heating, generators, plumbing, maintenance, etc.), but include financing options, rebates, Energy Star incentives and published coupons. The true savings are the energy reduction and warranty protection that our products and installations provide. They look forward to the opportunity to exceed your expectations!...

03/23/2022

Michael W.

It was not bad. They were a little bit pricey. They were very professional.

Description of Work
They maintained my furnace and ac.

02/09/2022

Stephen J.

Terrible service. Incompetent Technicians. Zenner and Ritter is the worst company I've ever done business with. The Technician that installed my new furnace was drunk while working and smoked cigarettes inside my home while installing my new furnace on 10/16/2019. From day 1 the new furnace never worked correctly. They came back 3 times and couldn't fix the problem. The brand new furnace they installed cost almost $4,000 dollars and went completely inoperable and only lasted 2 years. Run away from Zenner and Ritter. They are the worst.

Description of Work
Angi review on Zenner and Ritter Furnace Repair

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

11/09/2021

Monique B.

On Oct 18th I called Zenner and Ritter to have a service technician come out and find out why my furnace, purchased through them and under warranty, kept turning off. It heated the house but had to be turned on at the furnace every day. On Oct 20th Aaron, the service tech came by and did a very thorough inspection of the entire system, vents and all, and determined that the problem was a bad fuel valve and that they would need to replace the Fuel Control System. He decided to turn the fuel valve off until they came back out and in the process broke it. I signed a service agreement, expensive but necessary. Paid him $97.33 for coming out and was told it would be a few days for them to get the part. It is now November 9th, and I have had to call them four different times to find out when my furnace will be repaired. They won’t call us to give us any updates and every time I call I just get told, they will call me when they get the part in. They offer no other information or solution. In the meantime, we’ve felt the temperature drop steadily, down to the 30’s in the evenings. I’m worried about the health and safety of my family, my water pipes, and how much longer we’ll sit here shivering. While my furnace wasn’t running like it was supposed to, it did at least run before they came out to look at it, and the company just keeps blowing me off, like there’s nothing they can do about it.

Description of Work
Furnace Repair

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

09/02/2021

Lauren J.

I ended up getting a new one since they told me that my old one was 32 years old and there was no point in fixing it. They did give me a coupon for cleaning and inspecting where the old furnace has been and also they gave me different names of where to buy new affordable furnaces.

Description of Work
Was supposed to help me tune up my furnace.

03/08/2020

Francis E.

We like working with Zenner and Ritter. Their technicians are very professional and, most importantly, always on time.

Description of Work
Furnace Maintenance

02/20/2020

Michael W.

They were excellent and I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They installed my HVAC system, AC and whole house generator.

12/18/2019

MMC J.

No insurance? Mistakes happen, what determines if you are a reliable company is how you deal with rectifying those mistakes! And Zenner & Ritter is a nightmare, and we are likely heading to court. I'll try to keep it short, but succinct! Z&R serviced my faithful generator in August of 2018. In late February 2019, we had that awful windstorm in the Buffalo area. We lost power at night, and the generator started as it always has. I woke up in the morning, and the generator was no longer running while the power was still out. I went to the basement to check up on the sump pump, which was not running, but the water had not gone out of the sump pit (yet). I immediately called the 24-hour service line of Z&R, which is a complete joke with no prompt return call. By the time the service technician arrived, there was 1+ foot of water in the basement. The reason the generator stopped working? The service tech in August forgot to put the cap back on the oil reservoir after servicing the generator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The result was my recently finished basement flooded with $15,000 in damages. That's a problem! Generac (manufacturer of the generator) confirmed it was a technician error. As soon as Brian Ritter realized the extent of the damage and the cause of the loss, he ghosted me. I had to hire a lawyer to get any response from Z&R, and their lawyer is making me jump through all sorts of ridiculous hoops. Presumably, in the hopes that I will drop this and they don't have to payout. This situation could have been quickly resolved if they had just filed a claim with their insurance company. Still, they seem to be unwilling to share who is their insurance company or policy. It makes me doubt whether they are insured. Next step? I'm preparing to file in court in January. Pictures of the generator available to anyone who would like to see them.

Description of Work
Generator maintenance

Category generator service

12/13/2019

Paula B.

Immediately upon learning of the furnace problem at 7:30 pm, I called Zenner and Ritter to take advantage of their alleged 24-7 service. Dispatcher said their tech would get back to me to schedule service. Waited 3 hours. Nothing. Called again. Dispatcher said she’d leave another message for their tech. When he finally called me back at 10:30, I explained my situation and that I was out of town. he said, “sorry, lady, I’ve got 3 ppl ahead of you. I have no idea when I can get there”. Clearly he did not care. My kitty sitter recommended Roy’s Plumbing and Heating, who were GREAT! They scheduled promptly, coordinated with neighbor for access. When Roy’s tech serviced the furnace, he discovered that on a prior visit, A ZENNER AND RITTER TECH HAD DUCT TAPED A PART REPAIR INSTEAD OF PROPERLY REPLACING IT! Zenner and Ritter is now FIRED, after we were loyal customers for over 20 years.

Description of Work
Our furnace stopped working while we were out of town. Outside temp in 20’s, and kitty sitter advised it was 50 degrees in the house at 7:30 pm

11/06/2019

KATHLEEN M.

went into office...explained my situation to Maria and informed her of possible repair or replacing my furnace...said she would get back to me in a few days...one week later I called for follow up...she stated [they] could not help me...she asked for my furnace Model# and I thought it was fishy...obviously she investigated and spoke with my origijnal furnace installer 3 years ago and then gave me the brush off. It's their loss...was going to purchase new furnace and hot water tank...I had a condensation problem with my new furnace...and rather than trying to have it fixed decided on new high efficiency furnace. Maria never contacted me, never got prices for me and quite frankly she made me believe she had my best interest at heart...what a joke..my friend was right...she just replaced her furnace and didn't trust Zenner & Ritter because she had them before...bought hers at Reimer and could not say enough about the company and their workers.

Description of Work
furnace repair and/or quote on new heating system

07/30/2019

Lisa L.

Very professional and upfront. They do a lot of great work throughout the community

Description of Work
Furnace Maintenance

06/29/2019

Yvonne S.

Bill was very honest and pointed out somethings we should do to make our home more efficient and gave us option for air conditioning in our older home. I liked that he was honest in his discussion with us....great representation of the company. They should be proud to have him as an employee. I

Description of Work
Quote and information regarding air conditioning?

05/24/2019

Dan W.

Wi-fi thermostat was defective, replaced with new thermostat and air conditioner runs fine.

Description of Work
Check compressor and thermostat

05/24/2019

LuJean J.

Never gave straight answers to my questions. Never left detailed estimate. Push unnecessary additional services. Did not reply to multiple phone calls. Office staff states will refer to responsible person for call-back, but no one ever calls back. Beware.

Description of Work
Older fixed home generator needed replacement

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, generator service

Dr [Member Name Removed], I’m surprised to see this review was not removed or revised after our discussion when you originally posted it (on Angie’s List and multiple other sites). Your original service request was for assistance regarding an older automatic standby generator system that did not start during an outage. Contrary to your recollection, the recorded phone conversation confirmed you requested repair service on that day and we had a technician on site within hours. He diagnosed the issues and communicated them to you; based on age and condition you requested an estimate for a new system. You were not charged anything beyond the basic service call rate quoted to you on the phone when you booked the appointment. Our estimator met with you and developed quote options that were sent by email. Your indication was you never received them; I forwarded them again immediately after our discussion. Prior to that there was a return phone call you requested which the estimator failed to respond to promptly while out of State to visit his first born grandchild; I did and do apologize for that communication error. But the posturing of your review inappropriately portrays a far different level of error and intentional business practices.

03/16/2019

Rodney B.

During a conversion from a 2-family to a single-family home, the gas pipe to the dryer in the basement was overlooked and not connected to the gas lines associated with the remaining gas meter. Z&R connected the dryer to the gas line. They also removed a newer kitchen faucet from the 2nd floor kitchen sink and installed it onto the first floor kitchen sink. Additionally, the replaced the water shut-offs on the 2nd floor sink so that I could demo that sink and counter area entirely. They had the work done within a few hours. All of this was done 9 months ago, and I haven't had a single issue since then.

Description of Work
Replaced gas pipe to dryer, removed kitchen faucet and installed it onto another sink, installed water shut-offs to an old sink.

Category plumbing

03/16/2019

Rodney B.

They showed up on time that morning and got to work immediately. They had a fair amount of work cut out for them, as I was converting my home from a 2-family home back to its original single-family home layout. They removed the 2 old hot water tanks that were in the basement, reconfigured the plumbing to tie everything together into 1 system, replaced a lot of shoddy plumbing done by previous homeowners, and installed a tank-less water heater. They completed the work the same day. There were no significant, unpleasant surprises. The work was completed 10 months ago, and there hasn't been an issue since.

Description of Work
Replaced 2 hot water tanks with a single tank-less water heater while converting a double to a single-family home.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

01/24/2019

Darrell H.

It went fine,Jim the technician was very professional and knew his job. As he serviced my furnace he went over with me each and everything he check. After showing me the problem with my furnace,he explained my different avenues. I felt very comfortable with Jim because at no time did I feel pressured by him. After seeing the problem and having it explained to me I had no problem in making my decision. Thank you Jim for your professionalism. Keep up the good work!👍🏾

Description of Work
I needed a service call.

12/20/2018

Esther S.

Very well. The technicians called to let us know they were coming, and arrived promptly. They diagnosed the problem, explained the a Ternatives, and after we had told them what we wanted done, performed the work with professionalism and expertise. We were very pleased with this service.

Description of Work
Replacement of hard-wired CO/smoke detector

12/14/2018

Joan C.

No problems. Nate, Mo, Melton and his helper were very professional and worked in a very timely fashion. When they finished they explained the workings of the generator and the few things I would do - which was minimum . I was completely satisfied with the job.(66

Description of Work
Installation of home generator

Category generator service

10/03/2018

David F.

Sam did a great job - I'd like to have him back again to do the air-conditioner tune-up. He was competent, knew his job, courteous - good representative for Zenner & Ritter.

Description of Work
Tune-up furnace & generator

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

09/29/2018

VIRGINIA P.

The furnace is fine. The a/c is old and uses refrigerant that harms the ozone layer - and that refrigerant is very expensive. I have contracted with Zenner & Ritter to install a new unit. I find the people who work for and with this company to be knowledgeable, competent, and trustworthy. They've been "my" furnace and a/c people for many years.

Description of Work
The furnace and the a/c were checked.

09/18/2018

Paul K.

Everything turned out perfect from the scheduling and communication by Zenner & Ritter to the finished product and high quality install performed by Rob and Shawn.

Description of Work
Replace boiler and hot water tank with on-demand heating system

09/16/2018

Nancy W.

Z&R called Mon. Sept 10--- no heat and night temps 49 degrees. Repairmen came 5 days in a row. Final serviceman said it was control panel. Friday, new panel was finally installed put in after 5 days. Now warm.

Description of Work
New furnace, still under warranty--No heat

09/12/2018

S M.

Technician was very professional and candid, but would not repair leak without installing an in-line valve due to liability issues. Quote for installing a valve ($600) was too high for me, so with technician's feedback/advice I decided to cap the line later myself at the T-junction in the basement (rather than installing a valve) since we don't actually use the fireplace gas line. I was disappointed that technician didn't do such a simple thing as capping the line himself for the service call fee, and maybe he would have capped it if he had the right sized cap on hand, but wasn't worth paying him to go get just a cap and return to install it at $80+/hr. Still, he was at our place for nearly an hour investigating the issue and discussing options, so at least we had his full attention and honest, informed opinion.

Description of Work
Assessment/repair of leaking gas line in fireplace

Category fireplaces, gas leak repair

08/27/2018

Ronald M.

I was pleased with the quote and installation

Description of Work
Replace my central air condition system

08/22/2018

Michael S.

Excellent was very informative Answered all my questions and concerns

Description of Work
Quote on home generator

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, generator service

Locktight Waterproofing Corp

Hands On Owners With 25+ Years of Experience, Polite Staff And Crew. Affordable Pricing. Ask About 10% Angie's List Discount. Do It Right With Locktight!

Magic Stone General Contracting

Magic Stone is open for the new season, the fastest way to reach us is to call our office directly at 716-775-5836 we would be happy to schedule your estimate. Super Service Award Winners 8th Consecutive Year! A+ BBB Rating • Magic Stone GC is a Locally Owned & Family Operated Company that has been in Business For Over 18 Years! • Fully Licensed & Insured. We Offer Free Project Estimates to homeowners. Over 30 Years of Experience in the Masonry Repair & Restoration Industry and learned our trade from a well sought-after restoration specialist who has since retired. • Call (716) 775-5836 to Schedule your FREE Estimate or Appointment.

Watercure USA

We have been doing Residential and Business water treatment since 1986. We can service almost all treatment equipment. Upon completion of a thorough water analysis, at no charge to the customer, WaterCure USA will select, install and maintain the highest quality water purification and filtration system available. You are assured of purity, quality and dependability. Drinking water filters, shower filters and whole house filters for residential and commercial properties are our specialty!

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover

Energy audits blower door, infared, duct blaster, heating systems, boilers, forced air, green systems solar, geothermal, radon testing, insulation, water treatment, air conditioning ducted, unico, packaged, indoor air duct cleaning, filtration, plumbing, water heaters, tank less, sewer clean outs, sinks, faucets, toilets, water treatment, generator systems, automatic standby power, portable, fireplaces & insulation.

Roofing, siding. for the services we do not provide, references are available to other contracting firms we experienced to provide good service to our clients.