Roofmaster NYC Inc

Founded 2006 • With Angi since March 2007

5 full time employees. No subs. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. Extra charge for after-hours service....

White Roofs

+6 more images

roofing (120)gutter repair (28)skylight installation (26)gutter cleaning (9)house painting (3)woodworking (3)chimney repair (3)insulation (3)stucco (2)chimney cap repair (2)siding companies (2)masonry (1)

02/01/2021

Jenn C.

Pretty terrible, our roof is now leaking worse than it was before Mike worked on it. Mike came and gave us a recommendation on how to fix our roof, which had been leaking occasionally when it rains. We paid him to do the agreed work and he did, but now the roof is leaking every single time it rains (previously, it was only sometimes) and the amount of water that comes in is more. We've had to tear out a portion of the ceiling because so much water was coming in. We asked him to come back and fix it, but he is asserting that it's not his roofing work that is causing the leak. I don't know what else it could have been, he was the only person who made any changes up there. This has been very upsetting and Mike has not taken any responsibility for making the problem worse. He told us that the leaking is because our house is badly constructed (it's a new renovation) and that it's our fault because we took the "cheapest option" that he offered (which was $3,500 - not cheap in my opinion). This was both insulting as well disheartening to say the least. We are now left to try and troubleshoot it on our own, since we already paid him in full for the job. We can't help but feel totally taken advantage of, and we are still struggling to fix and patch the problem on our own. We are currently still living with two buckets in our front room and the ceiling ripped open, a month later. This has been particularly difficult since the job we paid Mike to do wasn't cheap, during a time when money is tight. It's all very disappointing. He seemed like a really nice, honest and reasonable guy before we hired him, which is why we picked him.

Description of Work
Roof was leaking occasionally into our home.

Category gutter repair, roofing

Work Completed On 12/02/2020

Yes, I sealed your flat roof completely. I came back and ran a water test proving that the roof was not leaking and that it was in fact the siding that was leaking. Again, you have major leaks coming through the facade of your building that was not covered by my scope of work. I gave you three options and you chose the cheapest posible way to remedy the situation. Maybe you should not have bought a flip from a shady developer. To blame me for the problems with your building is foolish. Good luck. In fact, I offered to do the additional work that you needed at my cost to help you out and you declined!

12/11/2020

Eric W.

Mike was great! He came over did the work, fixed the leak in a timely fashion and it looks fantastic.

Description of Work
Repaired a roof leak.

Work Completed On 12/03/2020

Thank you! Happy to help.

08/02/2019

CATHERINE B.

Mike is excellent: professional, prompt, expert. Our first place in the neighborhood needed a fairly substantial repair, which he diagnosed and performed perfectly. Years later, we moved and needed work a few times on our new home's flat roof and gutters. Again, always reliable and effective. I cannot recommend Mike more highly, and we trust him completely.

Description of Work
Minor Roofing Repair

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing

Work Completed On 08/02/2019

Thank you. Very happy to be your roofer.

01/12/2019

Kaye E.

The are not the cheapest option, but the experience was excellent. Mike was straightforward, kept a good schedule, managed my expectations very well. He runs a tight ship, work was good, maintained clean premise conditions. Professional headache free contractor.

Description of Work
roof replacement and gutter

Work Completed On 07/23/2018

Thank you. We’re happy you liked our service.

01/12/2019

Kaye E.

Neighbors were not disturbed. Quality of the work is good but it has only been 6 months. The work I did is supposed to last 15-20 years. He also replaced a skylight and hatch and put in new boot casings for the hvac cables and installed a new copper gutter. In the aggregate (working around suboptimal weather) I would say the complete work took 2 weeks. I wanted the job done right with as little tension as possible with my contractor and my experience with Mike was just that. Roofmaster was my most expensive solution bid, but the experience was without drama. And that is worth a lot!

Description of Work
I re-did my roof taking out 2" of 15-20 years of old roofing. We went down to the beams and rebuilt from there with thin plywood where needed and 2" insulation on top. And used TPO roofing membrane.

Category gutter repair, insulation, roofing, skylights

Work Completed On 07/09/2018

So happy to have helped. Thank you

11/18/2016

Cat G.

Roofmaster NYC is amazing! Mike, the owner, is friendly, prompt, reliable and only does high quality work he can stand behind. His team was courteous, clean, respectful and hardworking. The scope of my job was large and some other reputable roofers were unable to even provide estimates, primarily because the oversize skylight (60 sq feet +) required special construction to be adequately supported. Mike didn't bat an eyelash at the size and got me a quote within minutes. I knew right then that he was the right guy for the job. Not the cheapest quote of them all but the quality of the work is far superior and the pleasantness of the experience was well worth the cost. Plus he stands behind his work with a guarantee that far surpasses what other people offered, and was even willing to put in a clause saying that the guarantee remains in effect if ownership changes. His team was so great I wished they could do ALL the work that my building needs! But they specialize for a reason, and it shows. Roofmaster NYC is the best, hands down.

Description of Work
Flat roof replacement (main + an extension), masonry work (chimney repair, rebuild portion of parapet wall), addition of chimney caps, new gutter & leaders, new hatch , 3 new skylights (incl one oversize)

Category gutter repair, insulation, masonry, roofing, chimney caps, chimney repair, skylights

Work Completed On 10/19/2016

It's mutual. You get the highest marks for being a great client.

08/17/2016

D L.

Smoothly and Quickly. Mike was great to work with. I will definitely keep him in mind for the near future!

Description of Work
We hired Mike to clean our gutters and dispose of all debris.

Category gutter cleaning, roofing

Work Completed On 08/17/2016

07/11/2016

CATHERINE B.

Went great! Mike is very responsive, professional, and knows his stuff. He gave us many options and talked us through the pros and cons of each. This is our third time working with Mike across two properties in the last 8 years, and we are very, very lucky to have found him.

Description of Work
We had a leak in the ceiling of our first floor extension. Mike was super-responsive and was able to come have a look within a few days. He had a few theories as to the cause and gave us several options to make a fix. He recommended, and we agreed, to patch a few small areas on the main roof--it was the quickest and least-costly solution, so we went with that first. Turns out that wasn't the problem, which is very common with water issues (especially in old houses!). Mike came back with his team within another few days. They performed a water test and determined that the leak was related to a clogged pipe. They cleared the pipe, made a few flashing repairs, and we are fixed up. Two major rains since, and no leak.

Work Completed On 07/11/2016

Thank you!

07/11/2016

CATHERINE B.

Went great. Mike is super reliable, honest, and capable.

Description of Work
we had a leak, which turned out to be a roof drainage issue

Work Completed On 07/11/2016

01/21/2016

Hannah F.

Mike was extremely patient with us (three unit owners in my building wanted to do hatch replacements, so there was a lot of back-and-forth coordinating on our end to get all the required condo docs and board approval in order)...once we got our act together, everything was very smooth - just a few days between giving Mike our deposits, him ordering the new hatches, and installing all three. His crew was fast and unobtrusive, and left no trace of dust or any other debris when they left. We've had some decent precipitation since the hatches were installed, and there have been zero issues with drafts or any kind of moisture infiltration. It's also well worth mentioning that I met with three different contractors to get bids on the job, and Mike's quote was quite reasonable in comparison with the other two. (It wasn't the lowest, but it was well under the highest, which I thought was totally exorbitant.) I liked Mike personally - he struck me as a very reasonable, laid-back guy who knows his stuff and speaks his mind. I wouldn't hesitate to work with him again, and I would recommend Roofmaster to anyone in need of similar services.

Description of Work
Removed old opaque metal roof hatch and replaced it with a new, transparent plexiglass hatch.

Work Completed On 12/22/2015

11/14/2015

Lois N.

Having used Roofmaster before, I knew I could count on Mike to get the job done. A handyman and another roofer had failed to stop a leak that was damaging the ceiling below. Granted it was not readily apparent where the leak was coming from. Mike assessed that it was most likely from the hatch or the skylight which were next to each other. The first action was to replace the hatch, which was not very functional and needed replacing. Unfortunately, this did not stop the leak. Mike then spent hours on the roof with a hose testing for the leak, finally determining that it was coming from the old skylight. He and his men then installed a new skylight, and the roof has not leaked since. I also had noticed that the drainpipe was clogged. Mike and his guys replaced the old pipe, finding a beer can and brown glass bottle inside the pipe! Throughout, Mike and his men were prompt, neat, courteous and efficient.

Description of Work
Installed new hatch to roof, new drain pipe from the roof, new skylight and applied rubberized coating.

Category roofing, skylights

Work Completed On 10/07/2015

09/09/2015

mark P.

The name says it all, Mike is truly a roof master. When I hire someone I ideally want to find someone who both extremely knowledgable about their field and is truly passionate about it. When you meet Mike and ask a few simple questions you will quickly realize he fits this bill perfectly when it comes to roofing. After signing the contract Mike made some emergency repairs straight away and the full work began after approx 6 weeks. Mike kept me updated on the expected start date which could not be fully controlled due to the weather. Mike's workers were also very professional, easy to communicate with (I've used a dozen contractors in NYC and that's a first) and very respectful in our home. Overall a very painless experience from start to finish and I am very happy with my new roof. Hopefully Mike is still doing roofs in 20 years when I need it replaced.

Description of Work
Replaced main roof and extension roof.

Work Completed On 06/15/2015

07/26/2015

Erica H.

Spoke with Mike on a Thursday about coming to take a look at an issue with my roof. Had a great conversation - he seemed like a nice guy and knew exactly what I was talking about. I asked if he could come on Monday, fearing that it was too short of notice. However, Mike said he could come by around 1-1:30pm. I said that was fine and that I'd be home all day. By 4pm on Monday, Mike hadn't arrived and I hadn't received a call from him. Obviously, this was a horrible first impression, but since the company is so highly rated on Angie's List I figured I'd call to see what was going on. I called the 718 number and left a message asking for an update on the status of my appointment. Just about a week later and I still haven't heard back. At least I was already going to be home that day and hadn't taken a day off from work.

Description of Work
Unfortunately nothing as he never arrived for our appointment.

Work Completed On 07/20/2015

02/27/2015

Ayn S.

He could have tried to sell me a new roof and he didn’t. He did a really good job. He was easy to work with. I was very impresed with him. I have recommended him to others.

Description of Work
He identified some trouble spots on my roof and fixed them.

Work Completed On 05/01/2013

01/06/2015

ALFRED K.

He's very knowledgable about his work, his pricing was competitve, and extremely accommodating, and knew his craft very well. We went with another service provider, but it was due to unforseen circumstances, not due to any fault of his own.

Description of Work
He came to bid a project.

Work Completed On 09/10/2014

12/03/2014

Allen C.

The company never called back or showed up.

Description of Work
I called to have my roof looked and to get an estimate for repairs.

Work Completed On 10/22/2014

Sorry we missed your call. We double checked and never found a message or email. Probably our fault.

11/30/2014

Jennifer L.

In the planning phase, Mike offered advice on both materials and the installation of a green roof with rubber decking which included a fence for safety reasons. Mike has a dealer he works with for the green roofing supplies so this was very easy and he was happy to order rubber tiles from the vendor we found who only sells wholesale and he manufactured the fence himself I believe. When it came time for the install it went very quickly and smoothly with no complaints from neighbors about noise or mess. The whole project was installed in a few days including planting hundreds of starter plants. The finished product looks stunning and gets loads of complements from everyone who sees it. I would highly recommend Roofmaster to anyone considering installing a green roof.

Description of Work
Installed a green roof with rubber decking and a 25' fence.

Work Completed On 05/29/2013

Awesome, thanks.

10/23/2014

Heather Y.

the roof job, August- September 2013 It had to be delayed due to weather - remember that rainy summer last year? When we got started it went fast, meaning we only had to have a day or two of suffering the tear- off noise in the early AM. they were nice enough to start an hour later than usual because of the sleep needs of our resident PM shift worker. During the tear off they discovered that there was no salvageable plywood or salvageable anything underneath the shingles. We re- negotiated the contract and dropped the porch roof and side sections from the job, reducing the price hike a bit. They knew we were getting solar panels installed and that the installers were waiting. They did quality work fast. I wish they had tarped my garden more effectively, but they did pick up most of the debris that fell into it. The price I quoted above is uncertain. I have been trying all week to get a call or email back. I want another copy of the revised contract, documenting the work actually done and the price we actually paid. The work was high quality, done with our solar install in mind. I would hire them again. ******************************************************************************************************************** UPDATE December 9, 2014. NOR'EASTER has caused rain for about 16 hours and high winds of 40 mph. The roof is leaking at a point near the chimney and additional paint bubbles have developed in the ceiling. An inspection of the roof from inside the attic shows "holes I can see the neighborhood through" says the Man of the House. There are NO roofers on roofs today anywhere on the East Coast. Why aren't they answering the phone?! (Would I hire them again? HOW?) UPDATE to the UPDATE- Dec 11 2014-- Mike _did_ phone us back later on Dec 9 in response to our phone message while Angies List was busy verifying that the Update was really me. The roof is fine, the real cause of the leak found, thanks to a second trip up the ladder by Mike. First, it should be said that Mike and his crew never did any work on from the attic - so the holes in the attic dormer wood work (through which we can see the neighbor's roof) have _nothing_ to do with "Roofmaster"'s job. The gutter (our prime suspect) was clean and in place.The solar install mounts (called PVC quick mounts) did not seem to be the cause of any damage, but it was possible. On a second trip up the ladder for a closer look at the shingles _Mike _found _the _problem-- water damage and wear in the stucco right above the leak. The cell phone pics show that the ( unused, sealed - off) _fireplace _chimney has holes in the stucco. (We might have to re- brick the thing sometime soon. I wish I could get rid of it, but it will help add value in an eventual home sale, I am told. ) Update Conclusion- Good emergency response, with roof work holding up just as it should.

Description of Work
A complete roof job on the central roof - tear off and replacement of "cedar shake" with plywood and new 30 year shingles.

Work Completed On 09/01/2013

Thank you.

09/11/2014

COLUMBIA F.

We have a wonderful gorgeous roof protecting our house! A month before the crew could begin the full roof repair, Mike, himself, from Roofmaster NYC put up a temporary tarp cover to protect and seal the old roof, to help with leaks before the complete overhaul was begun. As the intense winds from Hurricane Sandy had really gone wild on the shingles of our house, we?d immediately sought a good quality roofer. However, with the ensuing inclement weather over the next few months, by the time Roofmaster could come on over and do the work for our home (-As a result of Sandy?s destructive forces- our chosen roofer, Roofmaster NYC, like many others, was overbooked because of much emergency repair work, with all customers, old and new?!), the roof was in great disrepair, and we were getting horrible leaks into the house. Mike did his best to alleviate that urgent problem by putting up a huge tarp. From beginning to end, the crew was excellent: it was most often a crew of three, and at times Mike was working at the roof as well: they were all industrious, hardworking and thorough with commitment to a high quality of work, making intelligent choices when necessary. Of particular note in Mike?s staff of three, has been John- who did a most superb job?with a focus of what makes a real difference in repair, construction, and safety. Thank you Mike, with these wonderful three employees and you! They got the huge job done within five days?amazing. Then Mike came back at the beginning of the following week and finished up some details (so good of him!), picked up his final check. The crew was good-humored, patient, and consistent craftsmanship. Responsive to our concerns: they got a complete job done. There?s just one little bit to be touched upon...at side of house: there is wood siding, at roof?s edge, that needs replacement ..Mike said he will attend to it soon. I have complete trust in the quality of Roofmaster NYC?s work and Mike Sapirstein?s word-- He kept his word, and did an excellent job at a fair price.

Description of Work
Completed ROOF tear-off & INSTALLATION of total NEW ROOF, with roof deck, soffits, fascia, gutters, chimney flashing. Thank you for your beautiful work, Roofmaster NYC! …all of you-- Mike, with John, Raoul, and Henry. We are amazed and pleased with the quality and consistency of good work that you have provided to our home. As far as cost goes, the pricing was fair: from all I have seen, researched, discussed and as all offered by all other Roofing firms—Roofmaster NYC’s price was reasonable. Work completed: New Roof 1. Installed protective tarps in front, back and sides of the building. 2. Removed entirely and threw out all layers of the existing roofing and underlayment on all roofs. Removed and replaced all loose roofing nails. 3. First inspected, then removed and replaced any wood on the structural deck that was rotten, broken or missing. All new wood is 3/4" CDX plywood. Deck wood replacement: As was deemed necessary, the ENTIRE roof deck was replaced. *Note: the additional cost of all necessary wood replaced was $150 per 4’ x 8’ section. 4. Installed new white aluminum sheet metal in valleys. 5. Installed one new layer of Grace ice and water shield around the perimeter at all eaves. 6. Installed one new layer of 30lb felt paper on all remaining sections of roof. 7. Installed new 25-year Owens Corning AR Supreme Shasta White shingles (our selection and request), on entire roof field. 8. Installed matching Owens Corning Hip and Ridge shingle on all hips and ridges. 9. Installed new white aluminum drip edges around the entire perimeter at all eaves. 10. Removed and replaced extensive lengths of unusable gutters with new 1-piece seamless white aluminum gutters. Connected all gutters to downspouts and insured that all gutters and downspouts were clear and working properly. Installed three new downspouts as were needed. 11. Removed and replaced all roof vents with newly installed units. 12. All remedial repairs to the chimney flashing and masonry were made, and chimney copper flashing was installed and sealed with caulking. 13. Cleaned up and removed all debris generated by the work. Fascia and Soffit Repair (as needed): 1. Removed existing gutters from main roof in the areas of the rotted or missing wood. 2. Removed all broken and rotted fascia and soffits and eaves wood. 3. Fastened new rafter ties to the existing roof structure to create sufficient support (wherever necessary.) 4. Installed new white soffit and fascia wood in the existing locations. 5. Reattached the gutters and screwed to the fascia with hidden hangers. (*Note: the additional fascia and soffit wood cost at least $5 per linear foot each… the price of the fascia and soffits replacement, for parts and labor were in the range of $2000.) 6. Front of house at main entrance: removed old wood and rebuilt new wood at underside-ceiling of small roof overhang, as well replaced wood on side section of overhang, and painted all newly installed wood. Here Mike’s crew went out of their way to do beyond the ordinary line of work. They did beautiful work. C – Guarantee that was provided by Roofmaster NYC: All work done in strict accordance with the manufacturer specifications and guidelines and performed in a workmanship-like manner. All tools and materials delivered to the building. The new roof shingles carry a warranty against leaks for 25-years. Roofmaster NYC carried full liability insurance for all the duties performed and associated with their work.

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding, chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/01/2013

Thank you.

08/11/2014

Jeffrey K.

We first used Roofmaster NYC earlier this spring, when they installed three Solatubes -- small round skylights with reflective interior surfaces -- in the top floor of our Park Slope brownstone. The firm's owner, Mike Sapirstein, was responsive, smart, articulate, fair, and totally professional. We were very happy with the job. I'm writing today (I probably should have reviewed him back then) because he literally just an hour or so ago finished doing an "emergency" job for us -- repairing damage in our eaves caused by a squirrel actively trying to dig its way into the house via a bit of rotted wood around our downspout. He and I had emailed back and forth and he found a way to make time for us this afternoon; he came over with his great crew and worked out a fix for what was a tricky problem. He arrived when he said he would, did the job with care, cleaned up when he was done, and charged a fair price -- in other words, he was the kind of expert tradesman Brooklyn homeowners dream about. I've had almost 20 years of experience as an NYC homeowner, and I couldn't possibly recommend anyone more highly.

Description of Work
Fixed damage in our eaves caused by an insane squirrel.

Category roofing, skylights, woodworking

Work Completed On 08/11/2014

Thank you. So glad we could help.

07/18/2014

Mark L.

We were forced to look for another provider because of unresponsiveness. We've had a recurring leak which Mike diagnosed resulted from a pitch on what should have been a flat roof. He said he would replace the flat roof with new, state-of-the art material (we live in Victorian Flatbush so the roof is very old) but could not begin the job for two montha. In the interim two more problems arose. We called Mike but he did not respond. When we called a second time we were told he couldn't even answer us as to when he would look at the issues for a month.

Description of Work
Mike Saperstein came to inspect a problem we were having with a leaky roof in May and said he couldn't begin the work until July. When we called again in mid-July to check on the original problem and two more of an immediate nature we were told he couldn't even tell us when he would begin or even look at our problem until August. He's extremely nice and intelligent but over-extended.

Work Completed On 07/18/2014

So sorry we couldn't get to you in time. We've had such an amount of interest in our services this summer, it's made things nearly disfunctional. Should you change your mind and need our services in the future, please let us know.

06/20/2014

Karen D.

Installed a perfect new roof, with counter flashing, and new downspouts, they are actually beautiful because the installation is so clean and professionally done! He and his crew corrected a drainage problem on our flat roof by installing a "cricket" and a copper scupper drain that resolved an issue that had been an ongoing problem since the house was built in 2005. He corrected the original builder's substandard work and MADE IT RIGHT!!! Mike Saperstein, the "roofmaster" himself, is simply put, THE BEST!!! Everytime it rains I think of how lucky we were to find him and his company on Angie's List. He is a really great guy, a straight shooter, and knows his stuff. He even helped my neighbor out with a small leak for free. I would recommend him to anyone. Call him if you want a real roofer who does quality work and won't stand for substandard work. You'll be glad you did.

Description of Work
Installed a perfect new roof, with counter flashing, and new downspouts. Corrected a drainage problem on our flat roof by installing a "cricket" and a copper scupper drain.

Category gutter repair, roofing