Ditmas Park Renovations LLC

Founded 2011 • With Angi since February 2011

492 Marlborough Rd

Brooklyn, NY 11226

We have the perfect renovation solution for your home. We price our products fairly and work hard to make sure that our customers get exactly what they order. We're committed to helping you figure out what best fits your needs and budget. We're happy to answer all your questions and to give you a free quote....

12/13/2021

John T.

Buyer Beware. We hired Thomas to do a remodel of our apartment in 2021. Initially Thomas talks a good game and comes off as responsible and cares about the work that he does. Once DPR gets in the field all of a sudden his true colors show, slow to make progress and finding any and all opportunities to charge you for a change order. Work quality is average at best, Thomas and his team are slow, unresponsive and stick up for their clients best interest. Run far away from this guy and his company.

Description of Work
Apartment Renovation (Kitchen and Bath)

Category contractors, ceramic tile, countertops, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

[Member Name Removed], it was a pleasure working with you. Truly. And I’m not sure why you were compelled to write this negative review of us. The way things were left, you and your wife were very happy with the work that was completed by us, our electrician and plumber. There were some hiccups that do happen with remodels occasionally like the fan which turned out to be defective, a hot water issue and a sink that didn’t fit the space because of an oversight on everyone’s part, but they were resolved as promptly as possible. The only two change orders that were issued were for additional work that you wanted that was not in the original scope we were contracted to do. this was: removing, insulating soundproofing and finishing the living room ceiling. Stripping and re hanging interior doors. Refinishing one additional radiator. Installing baseboard throughout the apartment (which you originally said you would do your self). Replacing radiator valves. Repairing the walls and ceilings in areas outside our scope (which you also said you would do your self but then changed your mind at the last minute). And additional protection we needed because that decision was made after the finished floors were installed and finished and our scope was nearly complete. We’re supposed to do this all for free? We are very transparent with everything and do not “find any and all opportunities to have a change order”. Everything that was charged for extra was extra because you added it. I am sorry that you feel we wronged you or provided a low quality of service but your review it just not truthful. If you or anyone else have questions about this matter please feel free to reach out and I’ll be more than happy to discuss and even provide proof of everything I stated above. Thomas Laurenson 718-484-2308 .302 Tlaurenson@ditmasparkrenovations.com

02/04/2021

shanthela E.

We procured DPR for the renovation of our home in NYC (Brooklyn – Ditmas Park area – Victorian home). It was a partial house gut renovation and DPR was contracted to do the following projects – ALL electrical and plumbing was NOT in their scope as we contracted those trades as part of the larger reno. So this review is based on framing, tiling, trim and doors. - Master bathroom and walk in closet, 6 new doorways and doors, Harwood flooring throughout the 2nd and 3rd floor , Guest bathroom, first floor landing , new stairs to basement. We moved in September 2019 and renovation completed in Jan 2020. This is difficult review to write as we try our best to not adversely impact someone’s livelihood and we have thought about this for more than a year. Since moving into our home, a host of issues have surfaced as a result of DPR’s failure to do an honest job. - leak from the master bathroom onto our first floor. Upon inspection, the Wedi shower pan where the drain is fixed, debris was left in it such that it wasn’t a clean tight fit DPR’s scope and install. DPR also failed to do final waterproofing inside the shower space which then also caused another leak. - A leak from the guest bathroom onto the kitchen below. Due to the lack of grouting along the perimeter of the bathroom where the wall tiles meets the floor – we slipped a paper under to see how far it went! WOW! same issues around the edge of the tub where the tub meets wall - insufficient waterproofing - First floor landing reconstruction was supposed to be a custom carpentry job, they refused to honor the words that were explicitly in the with us contract to provide custom parts. Took several weeks to get a credit so we could procure the correct parts FOR THEM! (they charged us 5K+ for the parts!) the spindles were installed with visible spacing and level issues – not able to fix this unless we redo the whole thing. - built the stairway to the basement but refused to put up walls to make it safe! we told them we’d let the city decide if it was up to code when they came for the walk through! Sure enough walls went up promptly. - created 6 new doorways and we paid for custom doors. A year later the doors don’t close well, other carpenter we have brough into ***** have all said it is a framing issue. DPR also brought in a retired electrician friend to install them who ended up CUTTING THE CUSTOM solid wood stained doors! Light leaks out through gaps when doors are closed. Don’t be fooled when Tom comes in to do the initial quote and comes off as very capable because that’s where it ends as we’ve come to understand - their lack of experience, lack of right quality sub-contractor contacts which delays the job for weeks and weeks and MONTHS! They really depend on making a lot of money off the smallest change orders in the most desperate of times! They never show up to do the job unless you force them to after weeks and week of asking, don’t pick up the phone, offensive and aggressive attitude because they have a another job and don’t want you on their back despite taking the client’s money. The subcontractors they hire, especially the tiling company is incredibly shady and wants to try to do the absolute minimum. I hope this helps someone. BUYER BEWARE!

Description of Work
bathroom remodel, door install, carpenty stair fix

Category contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, picture framing, plastering, home remodeling, doors

Angies list will not allow our full response to this because of a character limit of 2000. Please read our full response to this client on Google, Houzz or yelp where they made the same review. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to discuss in full detail. Thomas Laurenson 718-484-2308 .302 tlaurenson@ditmasparkrenovaitons.com

09/17/2018

jeremy W.

We were due to go on vacation the next day and because of the weather our front door had warped so much that it could not be locked. Obviously this was worrying but after calling this company they sent a wonderful person (Thomas) round the next morning and within 20 minutes he had assessed the problem fixed it perfectly and tidied up. He was very pleasant to boot and extremely knowledgeable. And refreshingly he spoke perfect English! Great experience.

Description of Work
Realigning front door

Category contractors, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking, doors

07/20/2018

Vernon C.

Great experience! Our renovations included new floors, wall removal, painting and a new kitchen. Because of permitting delays, we wound up with about half the time we expected to have to complete the project. DPR work extra hard and went above and beyond to make sure we were ready for move in day. They are consummate professionals willing to do what it takes to make their clients happy. We are so fortunate to have found them.

Description of Work
Coop renovation

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, hardwood floor, plastering, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

11/13/2015

PEGGY M.

Arrived on time and did the job

Description of Work
cleaned grout

04/03/2015

Michelle L.

Tom appeared competent and professional when he came to perform an estimate for our bathroom remodeling. The fact is he bailed on us twice when it came to doing the work - the second time ignoring our calls and emails with us having already paid for alternative accommodations (for us and the cat). His MO appears to be to take on more work than he can handle and then cherry-pick near to the date of your job. Maybe you'll be one of the (un)lucky ones.

Description of Work
Failed to appear to do the work as agreed.

Category handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling

01/27/2015

Jeanne H.

I purchased a bathroom re-grouting prior to hurricane Sandy and wasn't able to use it because of many family emergencies lasting more than a year. I contacted them in Januay about a year later and explained my situation. I understood that so much time had gone by and I didn't expect them to honor the coupon, but since I had paid $300, I wanted $300 worth of work. He was resistant but made an appointment to come out. He never showed and never returned multiple phone calls. DO NOT USE THESE CROOKS!

Description of Work
Nothing

09/25/2014

Danni U.

The guy who came out was the owner. He was very professional. I felt very safe with them there. They costed generally reasonable. I have been quite happy with them.

Description of Work
They did some repair work for me and some tiling.

Category ceramic tile

09/03/2014

Jeanine T.

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS WRONG! TILE LOOKS TERRIBLE AND STARTED CRACKING IMMEDIATELY. COMPLETELY AMATEURISH WORK. I struggled w/writing this review for a long time, not wanting any bad karma/or to put any negativity in the world. But as this is what Angie's List all about, I feel compelled to share the incredibly frustrating and disappointing experience I had--especially as I'm looking to hire someone to redo the work they did this spring. I needed a bathroom gutted and a completely new glass-tile bathroom installed. These guys completely botched the tile work. What's the one thing you expect with tile? That it looks great and is completely pleasing to the eye, especially at the seams/where the walls meet. The corners are exactly where the tile looks the worst. The corners look dark, uneven, and, honestly, old. Within weeks of them leaving my house, the tile started cracking all over the bathroom. This "company" is really just Thomas and another guy who helps/assists, and both seemed overwhelmed by working with glass tile. While they both seemed like nice fellas, they really seemed in way over their heads. What I'm most upset about is that Thomas couldn't figure out how to cope with a gap between the back of the tub and the wall, so he started slapping inches of spackle on the wall, eventually creating a SLOPE!!!?!?!?! at the back of the tub. Literally, the back wall of the tub is sloped, instead of coming down straight and meeting the tub. It looks AWFUL and EMBARRASSING. I wish I could upload photos to show you! What's more, on that whole wall, the tile is bumpy... i don't mean SLIGHTLY bumby, I mean, it looks like a wave when you stand at the toilet... Instead of going straight down from the wall, it looks wavey---the tile should go straight down and be flush against the wall. This looks more like an art project. We were shocked that he considered the job done. When I said to him that if we sold the house, the tile work is so subpar that we'd have to redo the bathroom again, his response was to tell me that when every person he knows sells their house, they redo their bathroom before selling?!?!?!?!? I mean, really? That was his response: That If I wanted to sell my house tomorrow, I should completely redo the bathroom that i just paid thousands of dollars to redo. Every time I complained about something, I was repeatedly told that I didn?t understand how the construction business worked. Well, I know how customer satisfaction works, and there is none with this job. While I found Thomas to be well-intentioned and likeable, I found the whole process of him remodeling my bathroom to be completely frustrating. One of the most maddening elements of working with him is that he only works with one plumber, his relative (cousin or brother in law?), and while that guy is a nice human being, he has a full-time job and other commitments, which means that the plumber can only come at night or on weekends. Thomas started this job on a Tuesday, spent about four hours that day, and four hours the next day gutting the bathroom (I was sort of baffled as to why they arrived so late and left so early), then on the Wednesday evening I?m told that no work will be done until Saturday, when his relative plumber can come to put the tub in, so nothing happened for two days, due to the plumber?s day job. And we're left without a single shower. I had explained to him from the start that I was on a tight time schedule, and we even signed a contract saying he would be done no later than 14 days later. Well, the job spilled into four weeks. Here's what they're going to respond with: They had to drive all the way from Ditmas Park to Staten Island every day and pay bridge tolls (if it was so inconvienent, then they shouldn't have taken the job) That they cut two holes in the wall for free---for shampoo and soap (I never asked them to comp me for that, but obviously I appreciated that... but I also had to tell them to redo it, because it looks so shabby the first time.) That they offered me a 500 discount on the final payment. It will cost me twice that to re-buy the screwed-up tile alone! And then probably three or four times that to have someone fix their "work." That I was difficult or unreasonable: All i asked is that my bathroom look nice and professional. It does not.

Description of Work
Demo old bathroom, install all new bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, masonry, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

04/29/2014

Jeffrey L.

An Iron fence was to be painted with rustoleum. They didn't scrape off the old paint and now the fence peeled and has to be refinished again. As proffesional painters they should have know the fence needed to be scraped with an iorn brush to remove excess worn paint. Total waste of time and money

Description of Work
Painted iron fence. It started pealing a few months after. Very angry the job only lasted 6 months!

Category fencing, handyman service, house painters

01/20/2014

Monica D.

Everything went very well. Ditmas Park Renovation provided us with their available dates and a time line and they were here and punctual each day. The work did take a couple extra days then anticipated, however, they did clean up and attempt to leave the apartment in working order as much as possible. We realize our job was a relatively small job and as a first time renovation for us, we were happy with the work that they did. The room looks great! The only constructive criticism I would throw in is to cover up more personal belongings in the apartment to protect from the dust. The space is small and we were finding dust in places we would never have imaged weeks after. In addition, there were some details that were over looked, like the finishings. We purchased silver door knobs for them to install (which they did) but they finished the doors with gold hinges and nails which seemed strange. They corrected it at our request with no issue but I would just make sure to go over all the details, don't assume it is understood, which was a learning experience for us. Today, the doors are working great, we did have a small split in the wood at the top of where the doors lock into place with the frame but all of the doors in our apartment swelled during the very hot summer. We have not had a chance to call Ditmas Park to help us correct the situation, which I am sure we could when we get around to it. I would definitely call them again.

Description of Work
We had a small room that had a very random interior window and door in an awkward position. At our request, they moved the position of the door to where the interior window existed and replaced it with french doors. It allowed much more light into the room and gives the bonus room a seamless entry into the rest of the apartment.

Category handyman service, replacement windows, doors

01/05/2014

Tom M.

Got a late cancellation due to illness. Can't judge their work but the late notice was a negative.

Description of Work
Provided an estimate to paint my parlor floor including kitchen, living room and bathroom

Category handyman service, interior painters

12/14/2013

KAREN D.

Ditmas called and said only white grout was available. I acknowledged that white was what I needed. When repairman arrived he didn't have any grout with him at all, so he used clear silicone on my tiles.

Description of Work
Special deal from Angie's list was to regrout a bathroom.

12/10/2013

Matthew B.

It was a good service and they were prompt.

Description of Work
I purchased a $150 Big Deal for 4 Hours of Kitchen & Bathroom Caulking and Grout Restoration.

12/08/2013

Amy P.

Caulked my bathroom tub area and sealed some tile in another bathroom. This was an Angie's Big Deal - $150 for 4 hours of work (although the job didn't take quite that long). The work was fine, well-sealed and efficient but a little bit messy, with a little bit of caulk on the tiles and not smoothed out well in a few places. If you are not super picky, detail-oriented, these guys are very nice, professonal and responsive.

11/13/2013

Lauren G.

Quality work for a very good price was completed mostly by 2 guys on the job. Excellent responsiveness by with co-owner who bid on the job, was generally flexible generous and honest. Workers did extensive overtime to try to complete work by deadline. New hardwood floors polyurethane did not dry in a very long time and it still scratches much more easily than refinished floors in a other rooms of house (perhaps a poor quality product used?). To be fair they did the floors for much less than flooring specialists and I didn't think I could afford new hardwood. I would recommend using pre-finished wood if you can get it. Consistently honest and good to work with. They really worked hard and did beautiful work. Thank you Ditmas Park Renovations for my beautiful new home!

Description of Work
Intensive plaster repair work on walls and ceilings almost entire house, brand new hardwood floors installed, sanded stained and finished complete interior painting and 4 new windows installed.

Category drywall, handyman service, hardwood floor, plastering, replacement windows, interior painters, doors

11/05/2013

Ana M.

I had an appointment scheduled on the 15th of October. I tried to call them several times to verify the appointment. I left several messages with no response. I am disappointed and would have appreciated some type of feedback regarding the appointment missed.

Description of Work
I purchased 4 hours of service.

Category handyman service

10/08/2013

Chris T.

He came on time, explained to me exactly why the grout gets to look the way it looks, and the caulk as well. He explained what he will do. He was very detailed and kept me informed throughout the whole process. He cleaned up nicely after himself and the grout looked really great and the caulk too.

Description of Work
$150 for Angie's Big Deal... the guy came and caulked around my bathtub in the first bathroom and around the shower in the second bathroom. He also cleaned the grout between the tiles in both bathrooms as well as my (small) kitchen. He did a really great job.

09/25/2013

Phil F.

We like them so far. I thought they were pretty nice. The guy came to the house on time and he was very personable and knowledgeable. His estimate was a little lower than another company that we used previously. It was a better deal. We had a couple of things that needed to be done and one of them was estimated at $1,200.

Description of Work
I got an estimate from Ditmas Park Renovations for general remodeling services.

09/09/2013

gwen G.

I had the company come in to plaster and paint my living room ceiling. The guys were very young who were sent out but they did a good job plastering the ceiling. Because the weather was so humid they advised me that the plaster needed to set overnight and they would need to come back and paint the ceiling. In addition, to the plastering and painting of the living room ceiling. I also was going to have them paint the trim to my terrace door and paint the exterior walls on the terrace. This required them to come back the following day. And that's when things unraveled. I left them to paint the ceiling, the trim and paint the outside wall while I was at work. I received a call from my building that the two young men who were painting had decided to climb up onto the water tower above my apartment. A neighbor saw them and wanted to know who they were and why were they up there. I had to have someone come over to my apartment to have the painters finish the work they had to complete on the inside ceiling then pack up and leave the building. This meant I was left with the outside wall halfway done and the trim not done at all. I am very torn about the company because when they were informed what had happened they reacted swiftly and interceded with my building and provided all necessary insurance and additional paperwork. They were extremely apologetic and immediately returned payment for the second day. The work that was done was acceptable and looked fine but I didn't get the work done I needed and caused needless aggravation with my building.

Description of Work
Plastered and painted living room ceiling. Painted exterior terrace walls.

Category interior painters

08/29/2013

David M.

difficult reaching them but good final product

Description of Work
grouting

Category handyman service

08/02/2013

Vadim P.

The contractor was responsive, diligent, and punctual. Workmanship was good and work was performed professionally. The contractor took steps to protect the property and to minimize chance of damage, he cleaned up afterwards. We plan on bringing them back the next time.

Description of Work
Retiled the entire shower to mitigate loose tile issue due to poor tile installation work performed by another contractor (new construction).

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, plumbing

06/04/2013

Allen F.

We had an Angie's List discount, but we expanded the job beyond hours covered by the discount. Initial response was good.. however the workers (with 1 exception) were far from polished professionals, did sloppy work, failing to properly mask areas not to be painted, resulting in paint splashed on woodwork and wallpaper; several areas were missed or not properly prepared. Company has a guarantee, but 8 months later still has not honored it.

Description of Work
Interior painting

Category countertops, insulation, masonry

05/30/2013

Fran C.

They're really great. The worker was so nice, diligent and hardworking.

Description of Work
Ditmas Park Renovations LLC came over and did some ground plastering.

Category plastering

Thank you for your business! We are glad to hear that you are happy with the work! P.S. We got your email about how happy you were with the person we send to you and took your advice and gave him a raise for his excellent customer service, Thank you.

04/30/2013

Victoria S.

They did I nice job. They could of had two men to complete it in one day. But it was no big inconvenience . It is a messy experience dust everywhere but that is the process. You should conceal the area , for less clean up.

Description of Work
Good service. They were very nice and on time. They did not estimated the job correctly it took an extra day. However they did not charge us for the extra day.

Category ceramic tile

Thank you for the business and being understanding of the type of work preformed. Grout replacement is definitely messy. We hope to work with you again.