ARMSTRONG WATERPROOFING Inc

Founded 1992 • With Angi since July 2006

245 W SWEDEN RD

Brockport, NY 14420

Armstrong Waterproofing was incorporated in 1992. The owner, Shane Armstrong, has been in the field of waterproofing for over 30 years and has learned what works and what doesn’t. We take pride in our work and it shows in the very low number of service calls and outstanding customer referrals....

04/27/2020

Lynn P.

The crew from Armstrong Waterproofing did a fantastic job of fixing our drainage problem. They were punctual and on time every day and even worked later that would be expected to get to a good stopping point each day. They were very careful not to damage any electric and water lines coming into the house during the excavation process. They excavated the ground to the footers on the outside of the basement wall, cleaned and applied waterproofing, and installed drain pipe both for a footer drain and for any downspouts. We have already noticed a big difference in our basement wall, even with the excessive rain this week. They offered sensible options for fixing our problem at a reasonable cost. We would highly recommend Armstrong Waterproofing.

Description of Work
Waterproof basement wall & install drainage system

Category excavators, basement waterproofing, drain pipe

Many thanks for the comps! Shane L. Armstrong

02/08/2020

Dave W.

Armstrong did a Fantastic job, they were on the job as promised and their work was Outstanding. The basement was clean when the project was done!!!

Description of Work
Concrete retaining wall in root cellar

Category concrete repair, foundation repair

Thank you for your comps and trust in us to complete you project. Shane L. Armstrong

11/13/2018

louis S.

He and his crew were professional and courteous. He pulled his folks off of another job to get mine done. He knew I was in trouble if it rained hard. He is a very honest person with a great crew. Don’t look at anyone else if you need an egress window done. Just call him

Description of Work
I had chosen another contractor I put in my egress window and it was installed all wrong and every time it rained hard I got water in my basement. I called Shane he came out points out what was wrong and gave a very fair estimate.

Category egress windows

09/12/2018

Roy P.

Armstrong Waterproofing Corporation is a family owned / run business, and it shows. They all put in the effort to make sure the customer is satisfied. Their working crew showed up every day with a daily plan in mind and they worked as hard as it took to meet that plan. Everyone on the crew knew what they had to do and the teamwork was amazing to watch. As you can imagine, this is a labor intense job – yet the crew jumped in with both feet with no complaints. The end result is I now have a great looking basement that is like night and day from the mess I had from 78 years of water weeping through the basement block walls. Armstrong’s crew did an amazing job, which included keeping my basement protected and clean during the process, and they cleaned up outside every day, leaving me with normal living conditions after each day of work. The system that Armstrong installs is a proven scheme that does not allow water into the living space of the basement, which is a huge difference from the “trench” I had all around the 4 walls to direct water to my sump basin. I truly feel like I made THE best decision to hire Armstrong Waterproofing for my basement project versus the several other quotes I received beforehand. I will highly recommend Armstrong Waterproofing for your basement waterproofing project!

Description of Work
Basement waterproofing on a 78 year old home

07/02/2018

Debbie S.

I contacted 6 different companies for quotes and review. I found Shane Armstrong, the owner was very upfront and very knowledgeable. He offered and reviewed different options with me. His two sons work on the crew and his one son Brandon is the Manager of the crew. There were a total of 5 guys working the job. They all were very respectful and professional. Brandon did a great job of multi tasking and and utilizing the entire crew to get the job done. We ran into an issue but Brandon came up with a option that would make it work. It cost more for the fix however, it was worth it. These guys work hard and just kept plugging away. Shane told me it would be a 4-5 day job. They finished in 4 days. Brandon gave me his card and told me to contact him if there were any issues. I am satisfied and feel I made the right choice by choosing Armstrong Waterproofing. They are a family owned company and I truly feel will back up the work they perform. I would highly recommend them. Thanks to Shane and his crew!!

Description of Work
Waterproof basement, dig out floor, install new pipes/tile. Bury down spouts, grade pitch and fix drain in yard. Touch up spot on fireplace and front walkway. Install block windows.

Category concrete repair, egress windows, excavators, basement waterproofing, drain pipe, mudjacking, mold removal, foundation repair

06/13/2018

Vicky H.

If you need waterproofing done, look no further. Armstrong is EXTREMELY knowledgeable and did a great job for us.

Description of Work
Basement waterproofing.

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing, foundation repair

02/24/2018

Marcey L.

The owner, Shane contacted me immediately. It took a while to get the work scheduled, but we were perfectly okay with that, as our case wasn’t an emergency. On the scheduled day, Shane’s son and two other workers arrived early, and had the job done in half a day. When they left,the area was so clean you wouldn’t have known they were there. We were given an unlimited warranty with the assurance they would re-caulk if there were further leaks. Two rain storms later and everything is fine.

Description of Work
One corner of our basement leaked whenever there was a lot of rain. November flooding in Rochester area meant it was leaking constantly.

12/05/2017

Dennis M.

The basement looks amazing and dry, Shane has already made an appointment to come back in the Spring to make a sure everything settled right and to grade soil no charge. Shane and his crew even double checked all their work when they came back a month in a half later to take out thier Wall braces. If you want a straight shooter, that walks you through the whole process, explains why things are being done and to get the most for your money this is the company to work with.

Description of Work
I needed a basement waterproofing system installed. I selected Armstrong from 4 other bids because Shane is upfront and honest. He cares about your house, tells you what needs to be done and stands by his work. His crew is clean which is not easy when a part of a wall is torn out.

Category basement waterproofing, foundation repair

This was a very large project and It was a pleasure working with a home owner that under stands the amount of work that went into it. Thanks AGAIN!!!

10/03/2017

veronica S.

They were awesome got in and got out it was done in 2 days the smell is gone and my walls look amazing. I would recommend them to everyone!!!! While all other companies were trying to sell me things I did not need Shane came in and was honest and very informative. very humble and respectful. he also went the extra mile which was I'm very grateful for.

Description of Work
had mold on walls and needed new sub pump

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing, mold removal

06/28/2017

Sandra S.

Following record rainfall in April, we had a significant amount of water on part of our basement floor, which recurred when it rained a large amount in a short period. One highly rated company wanted to completely replace our drainage system (pulling up carpeting and digging a trench around the indoor perimeter) and our brand new sump pump (using their own) as well as digging a trench (and pulling up plants) outside. They offered a lifetime guarantee, which required using their entire system and I have no doubt they would have done a great job and we would no longer have any issues. However, Armstrong Waterproofing spent time diagnosing our specific problem (which Shane believed involved water coming through the wall, rather than a drainage problem and which proved correct during the next torrential downpour) and recommended a fix for thousands of dollars less (1/4 the cost of the first company). Shane Armstrong was very personable and professional, as were all those involved in the work, they cleaned up when the job was complete and the end result is beautiful.

Description of Work
Inside (in the part of basement where leakage was occurring) drilled weep holes in basement walls and sealed walls with waterproofing panels, replaced 4 old windows with glass block. Outside, repaired cracks and graded one outside wall.

06/21/2017

Mike C.

Went very well.. Very pleased with the quality and service providered. 14 years later I had a water issue and called Shane to set up a time to see my problem. He came out and fixed it for free at no charge. He stated it was under warranty. I highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
I purchased my home 14 years ago and needed my entire basement dug up to replace my drain tile.

Category basement waterproofing

This house is on one of the big ponds near Edge Mere [Member Information Removed] and very close to lake Ontario . With the high water tables from the rising lake this changed the conditions and over loaded a system that had worked well for 14 years . This is why it is a good idea to hire a company that has longevity and not just a big name that is in and out of business in a few years.

06/05/2017

Christopher N.

Excellent. Top quality workmanship, service, price.

Description of Work
Waterproofing of basement, installation of DuraWall paneling, new drainage channels installed

05/17/2017

Vicky H.

If you need waterproofing completed, look no further. Armstrong Waterproofing clearly knows their business and really helped us after the very rainy spring of 2017.

Category basement waterproofing

Thank You. This is another reason why not to be taken by one of the so called biggest names in the business company's ........ As all we did was re move and replace part of a high dollar system that one of the "Big boys" installed years ago ( with a life time guarantee) . I will also add the fact that what we fixed was very pour quality as far as workmanship. Thanks Again!!!

04/29/2017

Joseph N.

It was great. They showed up, I was not a 100% ready and they helped me get ready. They did the job in a timely manner and it was really good. They were here on time every day.

Description of Work
I used Armstrong Waterproofing to work on my basement.

10/12/2016

al W.

All work was completed on time and the basement looks great.

Description of Work
Water in basement would occur at various times , Shane came out and looked at basement and outside of house. Shane presented solutions to both inside and outside of house that would eliminate the water problem we had in basement. The work crew was also very good to work with as they showed/reviewed the work being done at various stages. Cost was very reasonable compared to other quotes.

Category concrete repair, excavators, basement waterproofing, drain pipe, foundation repair

04/19/2016

John L.

Arrived on time , good communication, excellent skills, flexible to meet my requests . The right tools for the job. Very pleased. John L.

Description of Work
New sump pump and drainage.

01/15/2016

Richmond Y.

UPDATE: As a result of my review, Armstrong Waterproofing sent a crew out to vacuum the basement, and promised to repair lawn damage when Spring arrives. This is the kind of action that a good business provides in response to valid customer complaints. Our basement is now much cleaner than it was even before they did the initial repairs...they got all the cobwebs off walls and ceiling, for example.

Description of Work
Address basement drainage/flooding problem. | |Replaced sump crock with deeper crock; replaced existing sump pump with submersible unit; tore up and replaced edges around floating slab near sump and basement entrance door; added waterproof membrane to address weep holes drilled by previous homeowner and overflowing channel around floating slab. | |This was the minimum suggested by Shane Armstrong to address a clearly on-going basement seepage problem in our newly-purchased home in Parma, and it seems to have solved the problem of an inch of water on the basement floor after every moderate rainstorm. | |The work was actually done by his son leading a work crew of 3 men. They showed up on time, did the work as quoted, and one even stayed quite late to make sure the new concrete cured properly. | |Picking some minor nits: | |1. We didn't know that the work would be so dusty, and now there's a fine, gritty layer of dust on everything in the basement..perhaps if we'd been warned, we could have covered sensitive hi-fi equipment and tools. | |2. They left a large stain on the basement floor, and poured concrete waste water out on the lawn. The stain doesn't affect the usefulness of the basement, but did it have to be there? And the square-yard spot on the lawn that now looks like someone tried to pave it doesn't affect the quality of the contracted work, but did it have to be there? | |3. There was a dehumidifier draining into the old sump. They moved it (which was necessary), but didn't bother to set it up again before they left, and didn't drill a hole in the new sump cover so that we could do it ourselves without having to drill our own hole. | |Nits 2 and 3 account for the "B" rating in Professionalism. | |Nits notwithstanding, this company has addressed problems in our old house (to make it ready for sale) and in our new house (to make the basement usable), and we'd recommend him to others because when he says he'll fix your basement water problems, he absolutely will. Shane, the owner, knows what he's doing...the problem is that his workmen aren't as careful as they ought to be (in my humble opinion). | |We'd recommend having Shane Armstrong do a pre-buy inspection of any home purchase to assess any water issues that might arise (or have arisen in the past). The previous owner of our house lied like a rug on the disclosure form saying that there were absolutely no basement seepage problems...a prior inspection (a $100 expense) by Shane could have given us a valuable contingency on the purchase and probably would have saved us a ton of money.

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing

I am sorry for the dust and stains .Any time you have to break up concrete there is bound to be some dust. I should have made that more clear. As far as the mess on the lawn if you would like I will send over a crew in the spring to clean it up and re seed. I will have the crew read this re view and" we will learn from it" I am disappointed that you did not have a completely POSATIVE experience but value your review. Shane L. Armstrong

12/31/2015

Daryl B.

Shane came to our rescue on New Years Eve of all days. We had a sudden issue with water coming in through our block wall and the sump was barely keeping up. Took Shane a few minutes and he decided to try and stop using the sump pump and discharge. He set us up with a temporary pump to eliminate the water out of the crock without it going to the discharge. This worked and within a half hour the water leaks had subsided greatly. He then explained what he thought was going on and referred us to a plumbing service for a camera inspection of our sump discharge. Shane was very fair and honest and charged us a minimum fee considering the day of the year and the fact that he left a loaner pump till we can get the repairs completed. Wish all contractors were this top notch with everything. Thank You Shane!!

Description of Work
Had a SUDDEN issue with water pouring in at base of concrete block basement walls. Sump barely able to keep up with demand. Shane determined that the sump was recirculating discharge. Set us up with temp pump and referred us to plumbing service for further diagnosis.

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing

You caught me when I was close to your house with a work van that had the equipment needed for a quick fix , until the line could be repaired. I am glade we could help you out , Thanks You for the kind remarks!

11/22/2015

Alexander Y.

I wanted to waterproof the basement of my house. One room in the basement has often got water on the floor after a rain. This has been recently my main concern. I got in touch with about 10 waterproofing contractors. Not all of them are on angie?s list. All of them have been helpful in order for me to settle on what should be done. Mr. Armstrong has made 2 suggestion to address my concern. One was to replace the front stoop made originally from blue stones by the stoop made nearly entirely from concrete. The second suggestion was to install a drain tile which would dry the often flooded room by means of leading water from that room to the sump pump. Mr. Armstrong open and flexible communication style was what attracted me initially. This interaction has been deepening while I kept meeting other contractors, since I have not yet known at the time what exactly to do. With time it has become clear to me that Mr. Armstrong is most suitable to do the project. And the project is to replace the old stoop with a concrete one as described. Mr. Armstrong has recommended to wait with building the drain tile until we see that re-building the stoop alone would not keep the room dry. I am most happy that Mr. Armstrong?s team has rebuilt the stoop during Oct. 22-27, 2015. While there were rains since that time, the room in question remains dry so far (Nov. 22, 2015). I will be watching for much longer time. In connection with basement waterproofing Mr. Armstrong in addition has improved gutters, corrected the exhaust tube extending it outside of the basement as properly it should have led exhaust fumes outside, and removed most of the lose floor tiles in one basement room. This was all free of charge. In addition, Mr. Armstrong let me rent a dehumidifier (April Air) for 39 days to see if it can reduce the humidity in the basement to 50% from about 80%. The dehumidifier does reduce the humidity to even below 50%. However, he has charged me only for 30 days of the rent. The old stoop was also losing its stability and its surface was shaking. The solidity and stability of the re-built stoop brings up a lot more enjoyment with the look and the feel of this stoop, while stepping on it, and for its role in helping to dry the basement. While the stoop has been completed on Oct. 27, new concerns emerge as Mr. Armstrong spotted chipmunk?s holes in the soil near the sides of the stoop. Chipmunk?s tracks inside the earth may lead the water to the basement beneath the stoop. Mr. Armstrong has offered a way to plug the holes and eliminate this threat of leading water inside the basement. I am open and would be happy to work with Mr. Armstrong again. I think that Mr. Armstrong style of doing business is such as to enable him to do many projects with the same client, because he is sensitive to client?s concerns and attempts to foresee future challenges for the client as well as to the costs the client will bear. One of the examples of this is the manner in which Mr. Armstrong sells dehumidifiers which are often needed to help reduce the humidity level in basements. Mr. Armstrong offers renting them initially for a few weeks before a client would make a decision to buy.

Description of Work
Replaced front stoop of the house by a one made entirely from concrete. This is done to prevent water pouring the stoop into the basement.

Category basement waterproofing

Some times there is an obvious problem that is allowing water to enter the foundation. This was the case here.. The freebees he is referring to did not amount to much and the customer had all the supply's needed. We had to wait until the concrete set up any way and he needed some help. We do offer a dehumidifier to try for a week or two to see if the customer likes it . This one stayed with the customer for over a month so he could see the difference in his RG and E bill . That being said we do not make a habit of doing this . Also the customer is talking about Chipmunk holes along the foundation walls. These holes were allowing water to enter the foundation, along with negative grade and in proper down spout extentions'.

11/14/2015

Elizabeth M.

Wonderful explanation of options, costs and what we could do ourselves to keep costs down. Came when they said they would and were very respectful of us and our property.

Description of Work
Water coming into small basement of house on the lake. Cracks, walk down stairway issues. Damp moldy areas.

Category basement waterproofing, mold removal

10/30/2015

John P.

During my first contact with Shane Armstrong (the owner), he talked himself out of a job. After listening to a detailed description of my problem with water in the basement, he told me it sounded like I needed the services of a plumber more than the services he provided. He then recommended a couple of plumbing companies he had worked with. I contacted one of them and had the main drain out of my house replaced with PVC pipe (it had been clay tile pipe sections that had deteriorated over the roughly 60 years since the house was built and which were plugged with tree roots). This improved the situation greatly and solved our major problem. I tell this story to illustrate the kind of guy Shane is. His integrity compels him to be more concerned with solving problems than with making money. A year later, after a particularly heavy rainfall, we had several areas in our basement where puddles of water had appeared (in contrast to our previous problem where there would be at least a half inch of water covering the lowest corner of our basement). Clearly we still had some issues, so I contacted Shane again. He came to our house to assess the situation. At first, while in the basement, he tentatively suggested some solutions that would involve digging some trenches in the basement floor (we have a finished basement). Then we went outside to walk around the house. Shane immediately noticed some problem areas and tied the locations to where the problems in the basement were. Gradually a plan evolved that would not only address our remaining water issues, but would also add value to our home with a combination of landscaping, additional drainage pipes and the addition of a beautiful patio to direct the flow of water away from our house. Although Shane was frequently on site, he employs a crew of impressively competent people. Although this may not be important to the final results, they were also quite personable, which made them enjoyable to work with. They were conscientious and would leave things in a state so as to minimize any issues should it rain before they came back. They also left the site as neat and picked up as possible at the end of each day. If something went wrong, they always fixed it so that it was better than before. As a case in point, during the excavation for the patio drain, they accidentally severed an underground electrical cable that supplied power to a nearby outbuilding. They replaced the cable with a new one the way it should have been done originally, in a protective conduit. All in all, we are extremely pleased with our new patio and all the work Armstrong Waterproofing did for us. The company, and all of its employees, are topnotch. They look at the big picture when solving problems. As an example of their philosophy, during the course of the work, time and again I would hear the mantra "Think like water". I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, and, as a matter of fact, we're planning on having them do some more work for us in the future (we had to focus on the most important things first).

Description of Work
Graded areas around foundation with soil, installed a Flex Seal membrane, and covered with decorative stone. Installed edging. Installed drain pipes with catch basins, connected gutter downspouts, installed grate drain in front of garage. Installed drain pipe in basement and ran to sump. Installed stamped concrete patio graded to drain.

Category excavators, basement waterproofing, drain pipe, foundation repair

It was our pleasure to work with this customer. The fact that he is an engineer made our approach to the work that needed to be done easy to comprehend .

10/07/2015

Lynda B.

Very Professional, and honest. thoroughly enjoyed talking to them as they really knew what they were talking about. I was given advice, on a couple of things. I did sign up, and was very pleased with the worker and the work they did. Cleaned up after themselves, were very friendly to talk to when I asked questions. I was extremely satisfied with the work that was done. I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Gave Estimate on basement problems. Recommend that I do a couple of other things in the basement, even if I decided not to sign up with them.

Thank you!

08/08/2015

Craig M.

Armstrong was very responsive and professional. Shane took the time to really look at our problem with a lot of water entering our basement. Other contractors had recommended just weep systems, but that would not stop the stream of water every time it rained. Thankfully Shane listened to our concerns and recommended we attack the problem from the outside of the house. The job was completed in just two days, with very little damage to our lawn. My wife is not too happy with the loss of her flower beds, but we will find a new decorative and pretty thing to put along the house. The cost was a bit higher than we had expected, although not much different than the other quotes. But no one is ever really happy about the cost! We are waiting for the next rain to see just how much the work was worth the cost. The spray foam insulation had nothing to do with our original problem, but when Shane offered that option, we took it since extra insulation is usually a good thing in our area.

Description of Work
Armstrong excavated along part of our house and along our garage. They then patched holes in our basement wall (original cobblestone), and installed drainage mat, perforated pipe, catch-basins and stone fill with grading. In addition, they also applied spray foam insulation in our basement.

Category excavators, basement waterproofing, drain pipe

07/13/2015

Karen Sue B.

I liked the fact that when he came to give the quote he looked at everything outside as well as everything inside. He told me that I had told me that I had some grading issues where the land actually slopes into the house. He was the only one that said I needed to have it grade away. He looked at it holistically, it wasn't just look at the basement, it was look at the outside too. They also found a hole in my foundation that I didn't know about on the outside. There was a whole bunch of stuff they did on the outside and that's in addition. I think it was closer to eight thousand dollars. The workers were sweet. They were professional and the other thing they had to do, they had to rip out a whole bunch of built in from the original owner. They did a really nice, professional, good workers. They cleaned up well. I already told my friend about them and she is having them do some things for her.

Description of Work
Basement Waterproofing. Drain Pipe Installation - Exterior. Foundation Repair. They took up the corner borders of my concrete basement and put in new drainage and pipes and coverage for the walls.

Category basement waterproofing, drain pipe, foundation repair

02/17/2015

Tom M.

Shane came over as scheduled and after looking over my situation made some suggestions to correct the water and dampness problem that I had for many years. He gave me an estimate that was less than one contractor and more than another but, after one year of experiencing a dry basement after last year's snow melt and some extemely heavy rains, considering the quality and value of the results of the work done, his price was, by far ,the best. I met his sons and their friend who did the work.They were courteous and professional and finished the work on schedule.Although the job they had includes some dirty work they took care to keep my house clean and vacuumed and cleaned up after each days work. I waited almost one year to write this review so I could be accurate after testing the results in all seasons and weather conditions and I can now say that I am more than pleased with the job they did.I not only have a water and moisture free basement but the walls are beautiful with the white dura wall covering. I used to have to run my dehumidifier even in the winter. Now with the waterproofing and the rim joists sprayed with foam I no longer use my dehumidifier in winter (and my basement is less humid in summer) and have fewer drafts in the winter, saving energy costs. I am happy that I made the right choice of contactors and would recommend them.

Description of Work
Installed a full perimeter drain system, applied a surface bond skim coat over pitted wall areas,HEPA vac'd andsanitized the walls,installed dura wall system with a poly backer full height and full perimeter,installed soap block with drain holes at bottom of chimney cleanout and reset the cleanout door, installed one window well drain and sprayed the rim band with open cell foam

Thank You !