E & M Waterproofing Inc

Founded 1979 • With Angi since January 2006

1217 Chicago Ave

BAY SHORE, NY 11706

At E&M Basement Waterproofing we take pride in finding, diagnosing, and correcting your water problem. Making basements dry and keeping them dry is our only business since 1979. We are family-owned and operated therefore giving you the service you deserve. We provide Basement Waterproofing, Exterior Waterproofing, and Lot Drainage to all of Long Island & the 5 Boroughs: Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, Brooklyn, & Manhattan....

08/09/2020

RICHARD O.

Ed and his team are FANTASTIC! Based on the great reviews by others on AL, I called Ed and he came to inspect our home. Although he had a busy schedule, he was able to squeeze us in quickly ( we really needed it!), and the recent storm left us dry and comfy for the first time in years! The work was first rate, and when they left, you could not tell that anything had been done- the area was pristine. I would recommend Ed for all your waterproofing needs! He really lives up to his reputation!

Description of Work
Basement waterproofing

11/18/2019

Tom M.

Excellent experience, highly recommend!

Description of Work
Foundation crack

09/05/2019

Karen S.

Told me they would cut away my newly painted Sheetrock in the basement and inject resin in into any cracks in the foundation for $1500 and then I’d have to pay someone else to fix my walls and repaint, most likely another $1000. I found a small hole outside and filled it with roof cement and fixed my leak for about $10. Another company wanted to install a French drain for $4200 not including damage repair for my hardscape and landscape they would tear up. Don’t trust anyone. Seriously, fixed it with a little digging and observing. These people didn’t even turn water on to see where the water was coming from.

Description of Work
Water leak in basement

Category basement waterproofing

i felt it necessary to respond to this post. i did check our records and notice we did not give you a written estimate. On the other hand , I do recommend for someone to cut away Sheetrock newly painted or not . The reason for doing this is two fold. One is that the water issue can be diagnosed correctly ,the other is if any mold had formed behind Sheetrock you would able to re mediate it . Sorry you were not happy with my advice. If you need my services in the future please fell free to call . Thanks Ed Mihelic Owner of E&M Waterproofing

09/03/2019

Maria Z.

Ed was most professional when he came. While his is a top-level, highly rated business with rave reviews of his work, surprisingly, he is NOT out to enrich himself and profit from the problems of others. He explained that first I needed to do basic things to divert the water from coming into my home, and later if the problem still existed, I would need to contact him to get a french drain. I have to say that I have never met anyone more helpful or honest. If you have a problem with water entering your home, Ed is the first person anyone should call! Extremely thorough, helpful, and honest! It does not get any better than this!

Description of Work
Water diversion estimate

Category remodeling, basement waterproofing, wells, foundation repair

08/07/2019

Paul S.

I spoke to Eddie on the phone after he responded very quickly to my Angie's List inquiry. He asked for a thorough description of the problem and asked some questions. In amazing honesty he told me that the problem was a cosmetic one and not a waterproofing problem. He advised that I hire a painter and have him scrape, acid wash and coat the problem wall. His honesty is so refreshing and I would recommend this company just on this basis alone!!! Thank you, Paul Susi

Description of Work
I had some wall efflorescence in unfinished area of basement with some surface crumbling.

05/25/2019

Joshua K.

The two workers did an excellent job. They cleaned the whole area when they were finished and they took the time to keep me informed of their progress as they were building the drywell.

Description of Work
Had 56 block drywall installed in my basement landing.

05/10/2019

Edward K.

Very happy with the work performed. Professional and skilled crew who were on time and worked quickly. It was a tight space with a nearby fence so they did everything manually. Very thorough job and looks great! No more leaks in the basement and we're very happy! Price was fair and reasonable and below other contractors' estimates. Would definitely hire again if needed.

Description of Work
Repair foundation cracks and collapsed pavement slabs.

Category foundation repair

01/28/2019

Mario A.

Eddie took the time out of his busy schedule to come out and look at my problem and made some recommendations for me to do on my own. He was very honest and said: "you can do this yourself and don't need me". And showed me how to do it. Others would have quickly jumped to quote the service. If all were like him... I know now who to call next time I have a real problem. -Mario

Description of Work
Had water dripping into my basement

11/13/2018

Janet M.

Never contacted or hired them. They were located too far west to be an option

Description of Work
Basement waterproofing --

11/12/2018

Cecilia R.

Work done neatly and quickly. We’ve had several rainstorms since the work was completed and no sign of any water in the basement.

Description of Work
Stop leak around basement window.

10/22/2018

Star W.

Eddie was amazing! All contractors should behave as professionally as he did. He was honest and refused to sell us anything because he said our situation did not warrant the kind of solutions that cost extensive amounts of money. He gave us simple, inexpensive solutions. I was so impressed with his knowledge. On another note, as a woman I am not surprised when contractors only speak to the men. I am a woman who takes an active role in "typical" male scenarios. He spoke directly to both my husband and me and couldn't have been more professional, kind and informative. I only wish I had work to give him! However, if and when I do, I would not hesitate to call him in an instant.

Description of Work
Waterproof basement

09/09/2018

David L.

Ed responded to my home at 9:00 AM as promised. By now, I had 5 other waterproofing companies recommended by either Home Advisor or Angies List over for estimates and was fairly used to the routine. A big book carried by the salesman touting their particular organization on BBB, Home Advisor, Angie's List Google, Yelp, etc...Then an examination of the basement and in a few cases, the exterior of the house. Then came the "doom and gloom" part of the presentation... The majority of the salesmen would educate me on Hydro-static pressure and the danger it presented to my house. Evidently, we were living in a clay pot filled with water that was constantly apply pressure and attempting to enter my house through cracks in the foundation. I was also reminded of the constant rise in the "water table" in my area (Malverne). The only resolution to this dilemma was apparently to dig a perimeter ditch on the interior of my basement walls, install a "french drain" or some similar variation of plastic tubing with perforated holes, install a sump pump ( or 2) and seal in the drain with concrete. The damage to the "finished" basement would have been substantial and MY responsibility to make whole again! :( . Some variance in the pricing was based on the amount of perimeter suggested to be covered. From either the one wall where the water was coming in to the whole basement to prevent future occurrences... From $5000- $13,000. Again, NOT INCLUDING my cost to repair the damage to my sheet rock walls, baseboard and baseboard heating repairs... Add another $3-3500. Only one contractor suggested sealing the wall on the exterior which involved excavation , hydro-static cement to fill the cracks, Karnac tar, a membrane and a vapor barrier for $5,600. Enter Edward from E & M Waterproofing... No big book, 5 minutes in my basement and and a quick look outside. He informs me that I should dig out the dirt by the casement window approximately 20 inches down and back fill with gravel six inches from the sill. I also installed a new plastic shield above said window. I asked him about all the "doom and gloom" scenarios that I had already absorbed over the last week and he stated that since my leakage was event driven (Rain), he did not believe that I had water coming from underneath my house. The water table in my area HAD NOT risen and that the installation of "french drains" would be useless and ineffective in my case. The kicker was when he found my sewer trap and pointed out that I had "a hole in my foundation" where the pipe went into the ground. If my house was indeed taking on water, this would have been the first place I would have seen it!. It was dry as a bone. He also, gave me an estimate ($3,500 ) to seal the outside wall if necessary ( for my peace of mind, just in case). He did not charge for his advice and told me that he had 10 more estimates to complete knowing that he might only get 4-5 jobs due to his honesty. Needless to say, I followed his instructions that day (Mid-August) and have not had a drop of water since then. All in all, I would highly recommend E & M Waterproofing to anyone with any kind of water issues in their homes. I felt a little bit like Diogenes the Cynic until I met Edward, who has restored some of my faith in mankind... :)

Description of Work
I had water in my finished basement every time it rained :(

09/03/2018

Anthony R.

Ed And his team were fantastic. This is the second time we’ve used his company and would highly recommend them. Ed is honest, identifies the problem, tells you exactly what you need done and his company’s pricing is fair. He doesn’t try to sell you services that aren’t necessary for your home’s problem. They repaired and waterproofed a large vertical crack in our foundation where water was entering He also stands by his company’s warranty as an area we had done almost 10years ago was showing some evidence of water and they redid it without charge using newest materials. When job was completed all grass and landscaping were put back in place. Since the work was completed we have not had any other problems with water getting in our basement area.

Description of Work
Basement waterproofing W/foundation crack repair

07/26/2018

Jennifer N.

E & M came for an estimate and diagnosed the problem promptly. No sales pitch or lengthly discussion, just explained that foundation cracks had to be repaired in the backyard behind the basement, they needed to excavate and fill in the dirt. They charged 1/4 of what the previous company charged to dig trenches and install a sump pump which didn't totally keep the boiler room dry. After living in the house for 20 years the boiler room has stayed dry finally, no need for a handyman to repair anything after their work either! They accepted the Angie's List coupon. Several rainstorms later: fantastic price and great result only wish I had found them sooner.

Description of Work
Basement waterproofing in boiler room

Category excavators, basement waterproofing

06/18/2018

Al F.

Great, on time, neat and professional.

Description of Work
Foundation work

06/13/2018

Ashley T.

It went well. As soon as issues came up Eddie came back to the job let us know what was going on and even discounted the job as things didn’t go exactly as planned.

Description of Work
French drain

06/10/2018

Anita F.

We had two water companies come to our house, and they both said that we needed expensive French drains to solve the mustiness in our basement. Then Ed came, and he said, when there isn't a problem, don't fix it, since we get no water in our basement. He even said that in our case French drains might hide a future problem of a possible crack in the wall. Instead he recommended that we get a professional grade dehumidifier that would improve the air quality of the entire house. He was right!! No more mustiness, and we didn't have to destroy our basement to fix it. You can definitely trust E & M!!!

Description of Work
We ended up just buying an excellent dehumidifier from him that solved our problem of mustiness in the basement.

05/22/2018

Beth M.

I am writing this review to thank Ed for his honesty and professionalism. Ed spoke to me on the phone, and said to me that if you do not have water in your basement then you don't need waterproofing from his company. Another company that I contacted and visited my home gave me an $8275 estimate for a French drain and two sump pumps. Ed saved me thousands of dollars stating that due to the age of my home and location that all I needed to do was redo my cement walls . He suggested not using a cement waterproofer but remove the efflorescence, do an acid bath and then coat the basements walls with a good cement paint. What a standup guy! If you are looking for an honest and true professional, then look no further. This company is aces in my book.

Description of Work
Basement Waterproofing Estimate

03/15/2018

Daniel L.

Excellent! Ed is very professional and stands by his work. I have used him for both my houses. Before installing the french drain, he believed I had problem with one of my windows under the deck. He sealed the window up, but, unfortunately, I was still having a bit of a water issue. He came back immediately, and installed the french drain. He gave me a credit toward the price of the French drain for the amount I paid to seal the window. It has been over a year, and, even with all the nor easters we've had...not a drop of water! I was finally able to finish my basement without fear of water damage.

Description of Work
French drain system installed

03/07/2018

Jason S.

We haven’t had water in our basement since the work was done

Description of Work
Waterproofing

01/09/2018

Theresa G.

I asked Eddie about a basement waterproofing issue. He presented a possible solution, but then recommended that we just leave it as is because it didn't present a real problem and because the solution was costly, difficult, and disruptive. I was very impressed. How many contractors would do that? He seems very honest, straightforward, and I wouldn't hesitate to use him.

Description of Work
Waterproofing of basement

12/11/2017

Susan H.

I highly recommend this company. Prompt, courteous service. Everything an A plus.

Description of Work
The owner, Ed, gave me an estimate for a troublesome part of my foundation that needed to be waterproofed. He was on time and very courteous. I did get a discount because I was a member of Angie's list. Ed gave me a time and date to have the work performed and was in touch several times on the day the work was done.

11/20/2017

Michael S.

Fantastic. I had received other quotes and they all insisted we needed to add French drains with a pump in the basement (very invasive and expensive). E&M looked and immediately saw that there was foundation cracking from when a window well had been cut in for egress window. They excavated, filled cracking with hydraulic cement, put a water proof sealer over the entire area of the window well and installed a vertical pipe with drain in well to below the foundation footing. All done in a half a day at 25-33% of the cost of the other quotes if you include the finish repairs that would have been necessary after their installation. Fast, efficient, effective. No a drop of water since they did this work.

Description of Work
Waterproof basement for chronic water infiltration during heavy saturating rains

11/13/2017

Maggie L.

We had some water leaking into our basement and had been told by another company that we needed to excavate on the outside to waterproof. I called E&M for a second estimate. Eddie was responsive, arrived on time, and was very helpful in explaining our issue. He suggested we try a DIY solution first (that will only cost us $10 in material) before going to the extreme of excavating. He provided a quote for the work, should we need it, which was significantly less than the other quote I received. We're new homeowners, and this was a situation where we easier could've been taken advantage of. Eddie is an honest business owner, and should the DIY solution not work, he'll be the one I call.

Description of Work
Basement Waterproofing

11/06/2017

Howard W.

Very professional, timely and neat. Solved water leaks completely. Price was fair.

Description of Work
Repaired cracks in foundation wall.