Mel Carr Electric

Founded 1976 • With Angi since July 2006

6 Highland Ave

Albany, NY 12205

We thank you for taking the time to research Mel Carr Electric for your residential electrical needs. Our incredible customer service and highly trained electricians are just some of the ways that this 40 year old family-owned company is leading the pack among residential service technicians in the Capital Region. If you choose to use our company, you can expect: • A warm and friendly greeting on the telephone by a live person. • Bright yellow booties on our shoes to protect your floors and keep your home as clean as when we arrived. • Up-front pricing for the entire job, there are no cost surprises when the work is completed. • Experienced, trained, and qualified electricians to troubleshoot existing problems and install new wiring to prevent future issues. • Our guarantee that you will be completely satisfied with all workmanship and quality of the service you receive....

4.4

electrician (197)lighting (58)ceiling fan installation (28)

11/04/2021

They did a great job but the price is expensive.

Description of Work
They replace my batteries and and repair my smoke detectors

Work Completed On 01/04/2019

11/30/2020

Very professional business. Gary did a great job. He did quality work and was very professional.

Description of Work
Replaced electrical panel. Installed pot light.

Work Completed On 11/23/2020

11/13/2020

They quoted a price of $530.52 for a job to take 1 hour to complete. I asked if there was a minimum charge for coming out, and they said they did not know how price is calculated--only that their computer program arrives at the price. I calculated this is about $50 [retail] worth of materials, leaving $480 for two workmen for 1 hour--or $240 hour each. I said no thank you.

Description of Work
Surface mount duplex outlet in garage using 16 feet of flexible metallic conduit.

Work Completed On 11/13/2020

Thank you for this review. We appreciate you having us out to offer a quote on this project. To clarify, we do not have any minimum fee, and there was no charge for us to come out and offer an up-front quote for this work. We are disappointed we were unable to show our value to you by performing this work, but understand your desire for a lesser price. If you need anything in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out. We would love to be able to prove our worth to you in person. Thank you again for this review:)

11/02/2020

The service was excellent - professional, respectful and competent. The cost was high but the service was great.

Description of Work
Repairs to switches and wiring and replacement of overhead fixture.

Category electrician,lighting

Work Completed On 10/29/2020

08/22/2020

5X charges compared to other companies

Description of Work
multiple projects

Work Completed On 08/22/2020

We appreciate you allowing us to offer a quote for this project. We regret that we did not have the opportunity to show you the value in our work, but wish you the best with your choice on contractor. Thank you again for having us out:)

10/08/2019

I needed two bathroom fan motor housings replaced. I was quoted $375 just for labor, not including the parts, which I was to buy. I called another electrician I'd used in the past and he quoted me $125 for the same job, but told me I could do it myself as they pop right out and explained how to do it. The guy was appalled that Mel Carr Electric quoted me that much. I bought the fans and it took me literally 10 minutes to replace them. I cannot understand how Mel Carr Electric can justify $375 for this. Assuming 1.0 hour minimum labor and travel fee I still can't understand how you get to almost $400. I've heard Mel Carr Electric has gotten expensive but this is nuts.

Description of Work
Replace motors on two bathroom fans

Work Completed On 10/04/2019

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for your review. We truly appreciate your A review for Responsiveness, Punctuality, and Professionalism. We am sorry that this project we quoted did not suit your needs or budget and we appreciate and value your feedback. Thank you for having us out to offer this complimentary quote, and if there is ever anything we can do for you in the future we would be happy to help:)

10/04/2019

The man they sent over was nice enough even though he was not prepared to give me the answers I needed or wanted. Keeping customers I'll informed companies do when they're embarrassed about the bottom line!

Description of Work
I need an electric line installed but they don't want to give a detailed estimate. The cost of the job they are offering is bloated.

Category electrician

Thank you for your review [Member Name Removed] and for taking the time to speak with me yesterday. I accept your dislike of flat rate pricing, but I hope you would see some value to being able to have an up front price before the work begins, in not paying more for an inexperienced worker (who takes significantly longer than a skilled worker) because of a time-and-material pricing structure, and for the benefit of not signing a blank check to a contractor without any knowledge of when they will finish and how much it will cost you. I appreciate your opinion and thank you for listening to me yesterday, but I do take offense in the suggestions that we are embarrassed about our pricing. As I suggested yesterday, it has taken 42 years of understanding our business to be able to offer a guaranteed up front price for all work before asking our customers to commit to anything. We also do our best to offer as many options as there are available to you in your situation. I am sorry this did not work out and truly appreciate you having us out to offer a quote. Thank you again and good luck with this project:)

08/15/2019

Keith was on time, professional, polite, and knowledgeable. (This was for an estimate only. The Yes in would I hire again pertains to estimates.)

Description of Work
Estimate on electrical work.

Work Completed On 08/15/2019

Thank you for your kind review! We appreciate your business:)

06/28/2019

The stove wasn't working and the appliance repairman said the problem might be in the wiring but he wasn't allowed to deal with the wiring at the outlet. The gentlemen from Mel Car checked the wiring with their handheld devices and found no issues. After they finished the stove came back to life and was fully operational.

Description of Work
A check of the electrical system leading to the stove.

Work Completed On 05/20/2019

Thank you for this amazing review [Member Name Removed]! I am glad to hear that your stove is back up and operational! Please let us know if you experience any additional issues or if you need anything in the future.

06/05/2019

excellent. work was completed on multiple projects in multiple rooms in around 4 hours of diligent work.

Description of Work
we needed a variety of fans and lights replaced both indoor and outdoor. we also had some unfinished work completed and updated our smoke alarms. it wasn't the cheapest quote but they were on time and worked with a high level of expertise and the work is under warranty. I never once had to call them or hound them for anything. true professionals.

Category electrician,lighting,ceiling fans

Work Completed On 06/05/2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave such an awesome review! We appreciate your business:)

A/c wiring, apartment meters, attic fan installations, backup power supply, capacity upgrades, ceiling fans, circuit breakers, code compliance, electric heat, exhaust fans, telecommunication cable, Fixtures, fuse to circuit, lighting, meter base repair, older homes rewired, outlets, overhead & underground electrical specialties, lamp post setting & wiring, power wiring, security lighting, smoke detectors, pools, phone wiring, trenching services, voice data/lan cabling