Ernest & Sons General Contractors

Founded 1997 • With Angi since June 2010

Ernest & Sons General Contractors and Landscaping Design We meet all of your residential needs. * Landscape * Hardscape * Shrubs * Mulching * Planting * Top Soil * Sod * Shrub Removal * Spring Clean Up * Driveways * Pavers * Patios * Steps * Curves * Retaining Walls * Seal Coating We have over ten years in business and landscape design. We provide experienced quality work at reasonable rates. Tell us what you have in mind and we will build it for you and your family. Call Us!...

A Service Provider's profile image

+2 more images

4.3

4.3

hardscaping (11)lawn & landscaping (8)concrete repair (8)Patios (6)masonry (2)concrete driveways (2)landscape lighting (1)siding companies (1)excavating (1)

11/05/2021

Sal C.

We hired Ernest and Sons to construct our patio tiles. We purchased 2' X 2' Tiles and I have to say they did a gorgeous job. I was so pleased with the way they showed up when they said they would. The men that laid out on my job worked so hard. The labor was very strenuous but they never took a break. They were the most conscientious and polite workers I've ever dealt with. They worked neatly, cleaned up totally afterward, and just had a great deal of respect for our property. They really did a beautiful job and Ernest, the owner is a real gentleman also. Love this company!

Description of Work
side yard patio tiles

Category concrete repair, patios

Work Completed On 10/25/2021

10/01/2020

Judy B.

Agreed on a price to do our sidewalk with Jose. Got cash for him. He told us a time and day. We got one message to do it a little later. Waited our entire day for him to come. Called his office many times. They told us he was ‘in a meeting’. Wasted our whole day. I don’t get it. I guess he doesn’t want our money. Extremely rude and unprofessional. I wish I could make an appt with him and then not show up so he would know how it feels.

Description of Work
Sidewalk repair

Category concrete repair, siding

Work Completed On 09/21/2020

03/10/2020

Richard C.

It went extremely well. They knew what they were doing. When something went wrong they took care of it. They were punctual. They showed up when they said they would. They were clean and didn't leave any trash. We were extremely pleased with them. The retaining wall 8 feet high and 90 ft long. I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They demolished an existing retaining wall and built a new one on our residential property.

Category masonry, hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/15/2019

02/26/2020

Anthony B.

It was very great and it was good working with them.

Description of Work
They renovated our house. Put addition on and added a second floor

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 04/15/2019

02/20/2020

Robbie V.

It went perfect! Everything was on time, the service was great, the responsive was great, and the driveway came out exactly the way we expected.

Description of Work
They did driveway.

Work Completed On 11/20/2019

02/20/2020

Shaheedah H.

It went very well. They are very good. Their timing is great. There have been a couple times when my son was parked in the driveway and we had to reschedule but it was no problem. Every time they come out they make sure everything is done. They are very fast. The service is super!

Description of Work
Landscaping

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 10/29/2019

01/09/2018

Jenna G.

This company is extremely unprofessional. I received a coupon in the mail and decided to give them a call. I needed someone to come look at my existing driveway to tell me how much it would cost to remove what is there now, then replace the driveway and also make it wider. I scheduled an appointment for a Saturday at noon. I was waiting for someone to arrive and no one did, so I called the office and asked what was going on. The woman on the phone told me my appointment was for 2pm, which it wasn't. I said it was fine for someone to come at 2pm, so I waited again until then. 2pm rolled around and no one showed up. I waited about an hour, then I called the office again. The woman on the phone said she didn't know where the person that was supposed to give me the estimate was, but she would find out and call me back (she never called me back). I waited, then called yet again, but this time told them to forget about the appointment. I waited around all afternoon for this company and no one ever came or called me to let me know what was going on. So disappointing! They lost my business and I will never consider them again.

Description of Work
Estimate for new driveway

Category concrete driveways, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/26/2017

12/03/2015

eric S.

Description of Work
Replaced sidewalks, retaining wall and asphalt driveways

Category concrete repair, landscaping, masonry, hardscaping

Work Completed On 09/15/2015

09/17/2015

michelle D.

BUYER BEWARE. I hate long reviews...but I wish someone rang the warning bell with a review of their experiences before we used Ernest & Sons. To be fair In the end the job was done--but at what cost? We worked with Jose a few years back to replace our driveway. Jose and team did an excellent job. So when we wanted to have our patio and walkway done we called Ernest and sons again. This time we dealt with Ernest. Initially he was nice and helpful showing me other patios completed. We were very specific on timing to finish the project he was in agreement understanding weather delays could impact the completion. Once the contract was signed ...communications on their side stopped. We had to call several times to see when the project would start. Once the job started the guys on site were nice but they did not speak much English and there no project manager to check in to see how things were going. When the job was done there was light rain and we noticed pools of water on the patio. I put paper cups in the standing water and took pictures. I contacted Ernest he came out and never conceded there was a problem as he looked at the standing water. However he sent a crew back (again we had not paid yet) to remove the pavers and ensure it was level. They removed pavers in different areas 5 TIMES to level the patio. While I truly appreciate their efforts...why didn't the first crew simply get it right. DAMAGES TO OUR YARD AND NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR. In the process of building our patio they drove trucks onto our yard and the neighbors damaging both yards. I immediately took pictures and called Ernest--he assured me all damages would be taken care of. When the job was complete his guys put seeds down and we paid in full. However almost a month later there were only spots of grass and both yards still damaged. I called again sent more pictures and he sent another crew that told my husband they were putting down the 'good stuff this time' (really). We watered the lawns twice a day same as before...the damage is still there are now we have to pay out of pocket to fix our lawn and our neighbors! ICING ON THE CAKE. Company called and asked if Ernest could bring a potential customer to see the patio. My husband agreed assuming he could talk to Ernest about damages. Ernest was no show...they gave the prospects our address...and to our surprise two strangers walked into our backyard without even ringing the doorbell. I do not fault the couple but Ernest and Sons for handling this entire job so unprofessionally. If you still choose to use this merchant ...good luck and get in writing how damaged will be handled.

Description of Work
removed patio and install drain and pavers

Work Completed On 06/25/2015

07/30/2015

Ken M.

Description of Work
Although he seemed quite competent in his evaluation of the work needed to get what we wanted done, he was a bit negative throughout our meeting. Finally, he gave us a price which was the highest of the 4 proposals we collected. Told him that and asked if he was flexible. he declined and said there was "a lot of work" involved. Obviously! And more obviously, he didn't want or need the job!

Work Completed On 07/27/2015

11/05/2014

Denise B.

They are very easy to talk to and schedule. I've never had any complaints.

Description of Work
We use them every month for landscaping, snow removal, or whatever.

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 11/01/2014

08/18/2014

Amelia R.

All went well. It took over a month for the job to begin but once it did, the crew worked diligently. Didn't always know when they were showing up. Surprised that they did not show up on Saturday but came on a Sunday. Fine job!

Description of Work
Replaced walkway, paved driveway, replaced top of retaining wall, removed tree stump, added a concrete block in the backyard

Work Completed On 08/01/2014

06/16/2014

Michael R.

Rain throughout the week prolonged the job. Guys worked when they could. Original estimate was agreed upon but as the job began, it was noted & evidenced that additional work was needed due to rotting rail ties. We agreed and were charged an additional amount. As work continued, we were surprised at the amount of work necessary to finalize the job. But pleased with the quality of workmanship. Props & Kudos to Ernesto and Co.

Description of Work
Repair of cement walkway and support walls.

Work Completed On 06/02/2014

Review for Ernest & Sons General Contractors - unknown, West Orange, NJ - 20318242

06/06/2014

Tricia P.

All of the work was done quickly, professionally, and met my high standards. The only problem arose when they installed my railings while I was out without having me select the style. I came home on the last day of work and everything was complete, even railings that I had not seen or approved. Initially, I didn't want to make them redo it. I thought I could live with it. I paid in full and they left. Ernesto called my husband to make sure we were happy. Everything seemed great, the work was well done, and everyone was professional. However, a few days later I realized I really hated the materials they chose for me. When my husband called back to see if they could change out the railings for us, they said it would cost about $500. I know I paid in full and approved the job, but after $8,000 worth of work, I thought it distasteful to be charged more money to change out materials that I never approved in the first place. I recommend their work, but be sure you approve every single material prior to installation.

Description of Work
Installed paver stones on front walkway, poured new front steps including footings and brickwork, laid pavers in my backyard, installed a new piece of fence, installed new railings on front stoop.

Work Completed On 05/12/2014

04/08/2014

MARIE C.

They are very clean and neat. I was very happy! The only thing I don't think it that because they have a lot jobs and work going on, they don't stay as long as I would like. They divide their time up spent at each job. This causes a little longer time before the work is actually completed.

Description of Work
They have completed a lot of work for me. Most recently my driveway.

Work Completed On 12/01/2013

01/29/2014

Rubin S.

Exceptional. The company was so busy we were somewhat delayed in our start, but that is perhaps a testament as to the quality of their work. They were also delayed by a lot of rainy weather. Once they started, the job was done exceptionally well. The crew came daily and did an wonderful job from start to finish. Ernest was involved every step of the way. He was a pleasure to work with.

Description of Work
Demolition of an old asphalt driveway as well as a concrete patio. Replaced with pavers.

Work Completed On 07/15/2013

12/05/2013

Timothy J.

He took the time to explain the process. The staircase was supposed to take a little bit long but he was able to get it done much quicker. We had to go out of town and they were finishing up. He went a little above and beyond. Previously a part of the walkway was messed up when he was repairing the stairs. He just repaired all that and included that in the price that he already given us. He didn't charge us extra.

Description of Work
Ernest & Sons Construction did the stairs at the back of the house. He also did sidewalk, paving.

Work Completed On 03/01/2012

08/19/2013

Johannes S.

Ernest and his crew did an excellent job. Although they started a week later than estimated due to the weather, they finished the job within the expected time. We are very happy with the work that they have done. After they were finished, they cleaned up the spots in the yard that they used for temporary storage of some of the materials. The only minor criticism is that the communication could have been a little bit better. We would definitely hire Ernest again.

Description of Work
Remove old drive way - concrete and grass - and gravel from garage area. Excavate back for patio installation. Installed driveway with pavers and lined with Belgian blocks. Installed patio with pavers.

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, excavators, landscaping, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 06/28/2013

04/09/2013

Danielle B.

Excellent job. Lots of references and pleased customers who I was allowed to speak to in advance and see work that had been done. Team worked well with demo and clean up each day. Completed in a timely fashion. No cutting of corners; A+ job.

Description of Work
Front steps and walkway demolished and refinished with pavers and lights; drain/gutter on front of property directed to street to move water away from house; sidewalk refinished; rear patio demolished and refinished with pavers and lights; patio and walkways regraded and properly sealed to keep water out of basement

Category landscaping, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 09/09/2012

01/23/2013

Albert A.

Great! Clean! Elegant! I needed a short retaining wall put in before my deck was built. They came in and were able to accommodate my tight timelines. They forgot to glue the tops because we had been unsure about it but when I called them to ensure this was done, they immediately came in and did it.

Description of Work
Short retaining wall put in.

Work Completed On 06/29/2012