Charles & Son Construction & Landscaping Inc

Founded 1998 • With Angi since April 2016

Charles & Sons Construction & Landscaping is one of the premier full service landscaping companies in the Essex/Union/Morris/Passaic county areas. Our services include landscape design,hardscape installation, patios, walkway, driveway masonry contractor, Low voltage lighting, and tree removal. Our

4.4

hardscaping (42)lawn & landscaping (24)masonry (20)Patios (14)driveway pavers (13)fence company (9)landscape lighting (8)tree service (7)drain pipe installation (6)irrigation system (5)lawn care (3)decks & porches (1)

05/11/2022

Lorenza I.

Incredible. Carlos and team did a wonderful job — we couldn’t be happier with our project. It was a big undertaking and Carlos walked us through every step of the way. He has a kind heart and is honest — which allows peace of mind when you have little knowledge of hardscaping/landscaping best practices, materials, etc. Thank you Charles and Sons for a fantastic job!

Description of Work
Hard scaling/Landscaping/Landscape Design

Category landscaping, lawn service, masonry

Work Completed On 05/10/2022

11/11/2021

Matthew M.

After nearly 2 months in acquiring the permits the actual work was completed quickly. A trench was dug from the driveway to the storm drain in the street and a new drain installed across the driveway. On the face of it, the work seemed to have been completed to good standard. However, the trench was not filled properly and the edging that had previously been retaining the soil from the driveway was 'cleaned up' rather than being restored to its original position. The owner did offer to bring the blocks back when he collected the check but still hasn't done so after several weeks of chasing. The trench washed away after the first rainfall. In summary, I'm glad my garage no longer floods but my lawn has literally gone down the new drain.

Description of Work
Driveway Drain & Connection to Storm Drain

Category lawn service, drain pipe, driveway pavers

Work Completed On 11/10/2021

Review for Charles & Son Construction & Landscaping Inc - 57 Chestnut St, West Orange, NJ - 39539794

We value your review and understand how you are disappointed in this dilemma. We are glad that we fixed the initial problem. We've been discussing a solution to fix the issue you are dealing with. We will place soil and eventually add seeds when it is ready. After 8-16 weeks, the soil with permanently settle in, eradicating the problem for good. We understand your frustration and will send someone over to start this process tomorrow, November 11, 2021. Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience that this situation has caused.

04/06/2021

Nichole M.

Charles and Son Construction & Landscaping did a wonderful job on my patio. Carlos is a true professional from being on time for the appraisal, setting up the off-site appointment to choose the pavers, to having his team finish the job 2 days earlier because of a threat of bad weather. The team was very detailed and I so happy he suggested adding the lights around the edges and on the stairs. I am looking forward to hanging out in the backyard on my new patio all summer long!

Description of Work
Backyard Patio

Category hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 04/06/2021

Review for Charles & Son Construction & Landscaping Inc - 57 Chestnut St, West Orange, NJ - 39285384

03/04/2020

Mahiuddin A.

Excellent job, Carlos and his team are outstanding.

Description of Work
exterior french drain, fix retaining wall, driveway paving, paver steps

Category landscaping, masonry, drain pipe, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 01/20/2021

03/04/2020

Mahiuddin A.

Excellent job, they work hard and efficiently, Carlos is a perfectionist, would highly recommend

Description of Work
Exterior French drain, back steps, pavers, driveway

Category masonry, drain pipe, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 03/04/2020

08/28/2019

Barry R.

everything went well, Carlos did a great job.

Description of Work
front walkway (pavers)

Category landscaping, masonry, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/01/2018

04/26/2019

Matt R.

Carlos and his team were a pleasure to work with. We needed new patios in our backyard mainly because we had standing water on one side and we would get water in our basement on the other side because the patio was not pitched away from the house. The first time Carlos came to our house, he quickly and confidently came up with a comprehensive plan installing new drainage to carry the water away from the house and installing new patios and retaining walls. The project definitely evolved over a few months and my wife and I decided to also redo a walkway, permanently remove another walkway and add accent lighting. Every step of the way, Carlos was happy to give us options and update his estimate accordingly. He was very fair on price. Carlos and his team were very professional and polite and worked exceptionally fast to address our drainage issues while also greatly improving the appearance of our backyard. Once we are ready to redo our front walk, we'll definitely call Carlos.

Description of Work
Patios and drainage

Category landscaping, drain pipe, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 04/15/2019

Review for Charles & Son Construction & Landscaping Inc - 57 Chestnut St, West Orange, NJ - 37842132

I just want to thank you for the opportunity and trust in our professionalism. Thank you very much. it was a pleasure to do business together. I am here as the owner to help you. Once again thank you very much.

02/11/2019

James R.

very pleased with quality of work and efficiency of project once it began. communication could have been better, but the end result was more than satisfactory.

Description of Work
install stone steps, repair and replace concrete steps, install french drain, install outdoor lights

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 12/03/2018

01/22/2019

Manny B.

Charles was super punctual, 7:30 am on the dot. We had a neighbor's tree fall on our backyard and also breaking through our fence. We wanted to get the job done before the upcoming snowstorm over the weekend. Charles was not only super courteous but he was able to give the best quote, was super responsive on calls and emails, and was able to schedule the job within 2 days of the first call. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience working with Charles, we are very happy with his service and will look forward to hiring him again in our future projects. Thanks Charles!

Description of Work
Fallen Tree removal and Fence repair

Category fencing, tree service

Work Completed On 01/17/2019

11/03/2018

Becky A.

I contacted Charles & Son at the beginning of September, and Carlos came to our house about a week later. We spent about 30 minutes looking at the front of the house and discussing everything that needs to be done. Carlos was very friendly, had lots of ideas, and when he left the understanding was that he was going to work up an estimate to send me. It is now two months later and I've not heard another word from this company.

Description of Work
Our front yard is totally overgrown and we need to have some bushes and trees trimmed, and some others removed. Plus the beds need to be cleaned out and mulched.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 09/14/2018

08/16/2018

Janette S.

Carlos was an important part of helping us with our overall design. He is very knowledgeable and he and his team take pride in their work . During the planning phase Carlos gave us a 3D visual of our project prior to starting which was so helpful to help tweak as we wanted to make our design even better. Without this visual we would not have been able to decide upon changes as easily as we did . Charles and Sons was by far the most affordable and he and his crew were able to give us the most for our money His ideas and ability to deliver surpassed the 5 other quotes we received in all areas . Quality job and we are very happy . I highly recommend.

Description of Work
Deck expansion and patio

Category decks, masonry, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 06/01/2018

Review for Charles & Son Construction & Landscaping Inc - 57 Chestnut St, West Orange, NJ - 37328822

08/07/2018

Douglas A.

Carlos was hired to do a major landscape/ hardscape project for a new construction home. This included retaining walls, drainage, patio, driveway, cultured stone,etc. (Think close to $100,00) He did not finish the work and yet demanded to be paid in full. When I told him I would not pay him until he finished, he had the gall to sue me!!! Unresponsive, unprofessional and unethical. Stay Away!

Description of Work
Landscape/ hardscape, retaining walls, patio, driveway, sod

Category landscaping, masonry, hardscaping, patios

Simply not true. Customer is in the business of renovating homes and was trying to pay less than already agreed upon.d

05/24/2018

JAMES P.

These guys are perfectionists. Charles is also very creative and 100% trustworthy We met with nine top rated companies before picking Charles & Son (recommend by a friend in Upper Montclair as well as good reviews on Angie's List). He gave us a great computer generated design before they did the work. Huge crew with lots of equipment. As a producer who builds a lot of movie sets, I know a highly skilled and hard working crew when I see one. We could not be happier with the work they did. We had one small electrical issue three months later, and Charles sent his crew over the same day and fixed the problem. We are now hiring Charles & Son to do more landscaping work, some structural work on our garage, and interior stone flooring. From an integrity, work ethic, an quality perspective, I give these guys an A. (BTW, their bookkeeping dept. caught an accidental overpayment we made on our last check, and sent us back a check for the overpayment.)

Description of Work
Total redo of back patio with pavers, blue stone, lighting, landscaping, aluminum fencing, new stone back stairs built, widened & paved driveway, custom fire pit, etc.

Category fencing, gutter repair, landscaping, masonry, tree service, home builders, wrought iron, drain pipe, driveway pavers, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 08/12/2018

Review for Charles & Son Construction & Landscaping Inc - 57 Chestnut St, West Orange, NJ - 37320890

05/23/2018

Mimi B.

The weather was not cooperating so they had to cancel twice. We were very happy with their work. They pulled out a huge tree stump and re landscaped the whole area. They also repaired my chain link fence which had been damaged by the fallen tree and repaved a portion of my driveway that was damaged.

Description of Work
Removal of tree stump and re landscaping

Category fencing, landscaping, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 05/18/2018

05/08/2018

Jessica V.

The price was outrageous. This quote was five times higher than other quotes we received.

Description of Work
Had a quote for new fence and deck.

Category fencing, tree service, hardscaping

Work Completed On 04/19/2018

05/03/2018

John W.

Carlos Chabla, the owner of Charles and Son is a real professional. He was always on time, responsive to phone calls and very knowledgeable. His crew are craftsmen. Our walkways were curved and the patio was a semi-circle. The bricks had to be cut just right and they were. The crew (4-10 men depending on what needed to be done) was thoughtful and considerate. The dust from cutting the brick pavers covered my neighbors cars and they hosed off the cars without being asked. Carlos was a great collaborator. He executed my design perfectly and made some very good suggestions to improve it. Once we got started, the project moved ahead very quickly. It was a lot of work and it was completed in about a week! Carlos had all the equipment needed to do the job right including 2 Bobcats. We have gotten so many complements from our neighbors. We couldn't be happier.

Description of Work
Full renovation of front, back, and side yards including walkways and patio. Charles and Son cleared out brush, laid out brick pavers, installed drainage and irrigation, seeded for grass, and planted trees, flowers, and shrubs.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, drain pipe, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 10/19/2018

12/03/2017

Doron W.

Unbelievable, they came and far exceeded my expectations. They did the entire job in only two days! The final job was far better than my original vision. They even cleaned up and seeded the lawn. I cannot imagine any company doing a better job at a better price.

Description of Work
They built a beautiful 40' walkway, 30' flower box, rebuilt front steps, paved the driveway and a bonus, sealed a basement window.

Category landscaping, masonry, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 11/21/2017

11/03/2017

Kimberlee D.

We had a wonderful experience with Charlie & Sons Construction & Landscaping Inc.! Carlos the owner was very professional and knowledgable. His workers were efficient and did an excellent job. He worked with us every step of the way to make sure our patio was exactly how we wanted it. Carlos also never tried to upsell us on a bigger patio and was perfectly willing to create the original smaller sized one we had discussed at the beginning. Once we realized that we wouldn't have been happy with that size, Carlos worked with us on the price which we feel was a great deal for the size we settled on. When all the work was finished we were amazed at how perfect the patio looked and were very happy we increased its overall size. He also tore up our old sidewalk on the side of the house and installed the same pavers which looks amazing. The only problem (which became a bonus) came when we noticed that his machine ended up ripping up a couple feet at the end of our driveway near the house. Carlos came to us immediately and apologized, and then said he would put the pavers in that area to replace the broken driveway. This ended up looking even better than it did previously as it tied in perfectly with the new sidewalk and the patio. We would definitely recommend Charlie & Sons Construction & Landscaping Inc. to everyone and plan on having them do more work for us in the near future!

Description of Work
Installed a new patio and sidewalk.

Category hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 10/21/2017

Review for Charles & Son Construction & Landscaping Inc - 57 Chestnut St, West Orange, NJ - 36518860

10/16/2017

MICHELLE W.

Charles was very professional and reliable,he gave us an excellent price and his crew did an beautiful job.They were fast and left everything neat and clean!

Description of Work
We had our driveway replaced

Category driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/16/2017

09/15/2017

John F.

He was good, but I will say that the installation was delayed and the follow up service was poor. I was satisfied of the actual installation of the sod and the work, I was just disappointed with the installation date that was delayed and especially the follow up. The price was competitive. I did get him off of Angie's List and he was pretty good, and that's why I picked him. I was disappointed in the responsiveness. That was his big downfall.

Description of Work
They installed topsoil and sod. They removed existing grass and installed sod.

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 06/15/2017

08/26/2017

Emily K.

They did absolutely beautiful work. The wall looks wonderful and better than I imagined. The team came on-time, completed the work in a day, and I paid the amount that the estimate came in at. I wouldn't hesitate to hire them again!

Description of Work
I had them build a retaining wall in my backyard - there was one there previously that had collapsed.

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/26/2017

08/26/2017

Christopher M.

We are so happy with the results of Charles and Son. I did extensive research on contractors in Essex County and finally went with Charles and Son. The price, results of our two bluestone patios with built in firepits were amazing. We consider ourselves fortunate with the very fair price as compared to competition. They had very professional equipment a large crew and finish the work in one week when others said 2-4 weeks. The clean-up was impeccable and kudos for putting up with my ad-hoc requests. Carlos also followed up with on-sight visits and helped with out sprinklers and ensured our landscape privacy wall was making good progress. They have recently done my Aunt's patio in Glenridge and they were very happy with results. Consider yourself fortunate if you book them!

Description of Work
Two bluestone patios, built in fire pit, decorate rock walls, privacy landscaping and sprinkler system.

Category hardscaping