C H Paving

Founded 1984 • With Angi since June 2010

4.3

263 Rte 31 N

WASHINGTON, NJ 07882

Our fleet of modern, dependable trucks ensures a continuous pour of asphalt to minimize the amount of seams. This provides a quality job and adds longevity to your asphalt. ...

03/19/2019

John P.

After 25 years my original driveway needed to be replaced. Called C H Paving and got an estimate last year. Got a couple of other estimates. Ending up not doing the driveway last year, but it got worse. Called early March and they still had my info/estimate. Agreed to do it for same price. Actually came the same day and jack hammered some bad/high sections, re-filled then re-paved the entire driveway. Also had then seal coat it since they were there (extra $450). The owner (Charlie) came to verify the work done. Looks good. Happy with their work.

Description of Work
Repaved driveway

09/27/2018

Eugene F.

They gave me a quote, but the woman I spoke with did not know all the details. They fill in hair line cracks and put the seal coat. The process they do is a rubberized coating in the large cracked areas when the covering needs to cover the entire driveway as well to expand and contract in the winter. They do not guarantee the performance of the driveway; only the appearance. They did offer a regular and military discount.

Description of Work
Asphalt Seal Coating Service

05/21/2017

Tom M.

After discussing the job with both his son and Charlie, we agreed on a price and the work was completed that same day in a very professional manner. The area needing repair was dug up and fixed and the whole driveway was repaved that afternoon. Charlie and his crew are very experienced, efficient and pay attention to the details that make the job complete. We are very happy with the results.

Description of Work
After 18 years the driveway needed some repair and repaving

11/07/2016

Erik E.

job completed in only a couple of hours.

Description of Work
Re-asphalt 20'x20' driveway

08/15/2016

Kelly L.

This is what my husband and I had to deal with all day today after we just got back from our honeymoon yesterday. A man named Bill from CH PAVING came to our door the week before our wedding telling us that he would take the tree stump out of our back yard. He was working with some other men on a neighbors driveway and said that he already had the equipment to get rid of it and needed some extra cash for his nieces birthday. He would do it for $100. After he completely tore up our yard, he explained that he would have to come back the next to to finish the stump and remove everything since the truck had asphalt in it. He never came back even though I called the office the next day and the secretary told me he'd be arriving that afternoon. Shawn (my husband) called a few days later and the same secretary gave him the owners cell number. He claimed that he had no knowledge whatsoever about the job, knew who his worker Bill was who did it, but he couldn't help because we didnt have an actual contract with them. So thank you so much CH PAVING for not only hiring and having workers that completely ruined our back yard without taking responsibility for it, but for also for doing absolutely nothing to right the wrong that your company did. Thank god I didn't give any money up front. I wish I could post the pictures I have so everyone can really see what they did to our yard.

Description of Work
They were SUPPOSED to remove a tree stump, and instead just ruined our back yard and never returned

05/10/2016

Stephen P.

They did a good job, we are very happy they were able to pave and increase the size of the driveway. Before half was paved with very bad cracks and holes while the other half was gravel. They graded the entire driveway three days before in the rain, and had to wait for dry weather to come and do the paving. They showed up, went to work and very efficient, got it done quickly and looks great.

Description of Work
Paved our Driveway

03/10/2016

Art B.

I put a request in on line for an estimate a few days ago. They came right out and provided one. I received a follow-up call on Wednesday March 9th by a young lady who asked me if I had gotten the estimate and if I had any questions. I told her I thought they were on the high side, but I soon realized that I was confused, I actually was looking at another company's quote. The young lady asked if I was going to be home and that she would have Charlie stop by to discuss the job with me. Charlie came by and actually found his company's quote in my front door (I hadn't seen it yet). We discussed the job, agreed on a price and that he would begin the job the next day. I actually called him after he left with a question, and he called me right back which I thought was great. His crew arrived on time the next day.. Charlie said they would be there by 8 AM and they were. Done by 11:30 AM. The workers were very friendly and professional and paid attention to detail. They worked very well together. They even did a great job trimming about a dozen evergreen trees so they could get into a corner of my driveway. I would recommend these guys. Charlie and his crew did everything they said they would do, and did a great job at a fair price! I would recommend them to anyone looking to have their driveway redone.

Description of Work
Resurfaced my 450' driveway.

11/25/2015

Christopher D.

Dealing with Charlie was a pleasure. He came out the day after I asked for a quote, gave me a professional bound and printed quote package that detailed all the work, and provided references and photos of previous jobs. He also helped me in choosing the correct material for my situation, which is a rather sharply curved and sloped driveway. He also provided me with a one year warranty on the work. The only strange thing about the whole job was we never really got a firm date on the install. He gave us a range of about a week, and then the guys just showed up one day, knocked on the door to let us know they were there and told us to move our cars out to the road if we were planning on leaving. While this was not an issue for us in any way, I just found it a little odd was all. The work that they did was exactly what I expected, and was done quickly after providing the deposit. Sine installation, I had one small section, maybe a foot long and six inches wide, "sink" a little as some of the ground settled under the edge. I haven't tested them on the warranty yet, but I am waiting for winter to pass to see if there are any other similar issues or to see if the one spot gets worse once there is snow on it. All in all I am very pleased with the job and have recommended them to my neighbors when they asked who did the work.

Description of Work
Paved over an existing 10' x 300' milled gravel driveway, installed a drainage pipe under the driveway, and sealed the previously paved section near the garage

10/02/2015

Ken J.

This was a tough drainage problem. House roof water all gets to driveway at the garage doors. C H Pavings developed and applied a solution over a period of 2-days and then installed it. Would have been simpler - but more disruptive - to install underground piping to direct water. I did not want that, because of the potential impact to lawn & gardens, so they developed an alternative based entirely on creative shaping of the driveway surface. Immediately following the installation, rainfall demonstrated their solution and craftsmanship working well. Heavier rain today is being directed away from the house too. I recommend C.H. Paving

Description of Work
Removed existing driveway - 3,000 sq ft residential Completely re-graded and re-shaped the gravel base to resolve a difficult drainage issue Verified new grading with surveying equipment Carefully applied and rolled new asphalt Verified drainage on finished driveway

09/16/2015

Greg M.

Let me start by saying I have been in the contracting business for over 20 years and by no means a professional in asphalt installations but know when something is done incorrectly or not done to specifications. They came the day they said and ripped out the existing driveway and came back the following day to complete. When I came home from work I noticed the driveway looked different on one side then the other and there was a noticeable seam in the middle. The seam wasn?t terrible and know that when these driveways are laid the pavers are not big enough to do driveway in one shot so let it be. They told us that we had to stay off driveway for at least 3 days and 5 if the weather was hot. During this waiting period I sent them an email in regards to a concern I had in the appearance of some areas of driveway and they responded saying someone would get back to me (never did). The weather was hot so we stayed off driveway for 8 days just to be safe and this was not difficult to do considering we are allowed to park on our street. After the 8 days we began parking our cars in the driveway and soon after noticed the car?s tires on the right side of our driveway were sinking into the pavement. It was actually happening on both sides but was more pronounced on this side. My mother who lives with us called them and asked if someone could stop by to look at problem. Someone did and explained to my mother that this is a typical occurrence and is normal. She said it is normal for our tires to sink into the pavement!! Is it possible that maybe your crew did something incorrectly? He said he would get back to us after speaking to the boss. While waiting to hear back from them I pulled out contract and read that they were suppose to use 3 inches of asphalt compressed to 2 ½ inches. This was always in the back of my head and decided to take a few measurements around the edges of the driveway and found that the thickness especially in area where tires were sinking was 1 ½ inches. I called the owner immediately and asked him why hasn?t anyone called yet and why are my cars sinking into the driveway. He said that the hot weather was to blame and I explained that I stayed off it longer then you told us and why is it only happening on one side. He didn?t have an answer and then asked him why there is not the proper thickness of asphalt in some areas as stated in contract? He basically said we can?t be perfect!! Listen I understand that a job like this isn?t a perfect science with measurements but 1 inch of missing material is a huge problem and this needs to be fixed. Charlie said he would come back to repair problem Labor Day week and still have not heard from him!!! I will be contacting the BBB and filing a claim with the state of NJ.

Description of Work
They ripped out old driveway and replaced

09/02/2015

William M.

Terrible. The contract specified a new rain diversion ditch as we are concerned with ice build up in the winter. When I confirmed the scheduled installation date, I reminder the company of the need for a drainage ditch. No ditch was put in. As the contract speified that you could not drive on the drive for 3 days and since street parking is not feasible (due the length of the drive and the terrain of the road we live on) I schedule the work to be done while I was away. When I returned on the 4 day I noted that no ditch had been created. I also noted dirt and gravel at the base of the hill leading to the house caused by heavy rains and lack of drainage. The company wanted to pick up final payment the following morning so I waited to speak with them. No one came, so I contacted them and they insisted that the final payment be left for them (even though work was not complete). I did make payment hoping they were honest and would complete the job ( I got the expression they were in a cash bind as the said they waited so long for payment, even though the contract specified NET 10). Someone did come by and hastily dug a trench in one side of part of the drive, throwing the gravel on to the drive. Hoping this was an unsupervised workman, I took pictures and sent them to the company. No one responded.

Description of Work
Paved a gravel driveway. Contract included a new rain diversion ditch. That was not done

07/22/2015

Martha S.

My experience with this company was great. I had no problems with them. I would definitely reach out to them for future assistance.

Description of Work
They resealed my home driveway.

Category concrete driveways

06/29/2015

Gary D.

Outstanding job. I am very pleased with the work they did. They took care to make sure that my parking area and driveway are pitched so that all the rain is running off with no pooling or low spots. They were also careful with making sure the entrance to the garage is level with the concrete in the garage. They took care not to get asphalt on the steps or other areas were the should not be asphalt. I would definitely recommend them and would use them again if the need arose.

Description of Work
Resurface entire driveway and parking area. Aprox 3000 sq ft.

06/15/2015

Mindy S.

The work that was actually done was fine; however, the customer service and actual interaction with the employees was HORRIBLE. We had a hard time getting a hold of them to actually set the time for them to pave the driveway - it was constant phone tag as every call goes to voicemail. When we finally did get an appointment set, they did not show up on the day that they said they would. My husband took a day off work but the paving crew did not come on the day they said they would. No one from the office called us despite several voice messages. The paving crew showed up the next day, and I was luckily home from work for another reason. I was annoyed with all of the scheduling issues we had, but did tell the foreman that I understood that it was not his fault. He was combative and at one point yelled at me to "go back in my house." His crew did the work and when they were done I gave him a check and he continued to argue with me. Granted I was upset given all of the scheduling issues and the lack of response from voicemails, but this gentleman's behavior was completely unacceptable and probably the worst experience I've ever had with someone I've hired to provide services at my home.

Description of Work
We hired CH Paving to pave our driveway.

06/02/2015

Robert H.

Not well. Attempts to get written update/confirmation of prior quote for contracting purposes were fruitless. Estimator showed up when agreed and confirmed the pricing from August 2014 was still good after discussion with the owner. Promised an updated written quote to reflect current date. Didn't happen. Four follow-ups (including dialogue with both principles of the company, a voice message, and an e-mail via Angie's list) to facilitate a down-payment and scheduling of work produced nothing. Speculating, it appears that something has happened in the last couple of months -- an illness, a cash-flow problem, a bankruptcy, or some serious overload of resources.

Description of Work
Sent an estimator to reconfirm an 8-month old quotation for drive-way replacement

12/01/2014

Evan E.

Great experience from initial call to Hester in the office to the completion of the job. Charlie is a man of his word. The crew showed up on the agreed upon day and time. The price I was quoted is exactly what I paid and it was a very fair price as well. The crew was clearly very experienced and did a fantastic job on the driveway. My driveway was previously gravel so I was nervous about the change to asphalt. I worried for no reason it really looks amazing. All their equipment and trucks look brand new and top of line. I am sure this matters in the quality of the final product. Charlie is very easy to reach if you have questions before or after the job is done. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Installed new asphalt driveway

Category concrete driveways, driveway pavers

11/10/2014

Shawn L.

The crew that came to do the actual paving was fantastic! Driveway was done in about 31/2 hours and they went above and beyond the contractually agreed upon amount of work. The only reason for not giving all Excellent marks was that in the Afternoon a second crew showed up to do the Seal coating. The young man proceeded to JOG while applying the first 25-30 feet of coverage until he noticed my husband sitting outside. He then walked to complete the rest of the driveway. I'm not sure how much a difference this will make in the long run but he clearly changed his speed when he saw someone watching.

Description of Work
Replaced loose stone driveway with Asphalt.

10/23/2014

Kenneth S.

The whole job went very well. Whole process went like clockwork. Each set of machinery and set of people showed up just when needed. They had very new well maintained equipment. The workers were very conscientious about the job and the goings on around them. They noticed that my dog was in the garage and let me know that it would be good to get her out of there due to the fumes from the work. There were six driveways being done on my block all at the same time. Two by C and H and four by another company. I'm glad I went with C and H. They had better equipment, did it faster and were cheaper. The price they quoted me before the job was the pice I paid.

Description of Work
Tore out old driveway and repaved.

10/06/2014

Brian T.

resealing of my driveway was set up for 10/6/2014,called in the morning to see if it was scheduled, it was,would be there some time today, I called at 1pm,3pm still said they were coming,at 4pm I called again talked to russ said they were coming at that point I told them,forget it cancel the job,Ill get somebody else, all this and after taking a day off from work. very poor scheduling.

Description of Work
nothing, job was cancelled after waiting all day to seal my drive way

07/18/2014

Brian K.

Based upon my experience heavily advertised C.H. Paving is a high volume low quality company. Within a short period of time after they replaced my 1200 sq ft driveway I had to call them back to correct 3 issues. First they left a 1 1/2” “trip step” space between the driveway and the patio (they never opened the gate between them) , secondly where a basketball hoop had been began to sink and crack and finally along the driveway's edge several parts were crumbling. They fixed the space under the gate and put sealer on the crumbling areas. Instead of digging up the cracking area and adding stone and compacting they put some cold patch on top. Several months later the sinking and cracking reappeared. Less than 2 weeks ago I called them to repair the same area and was told by Chuck, raising his voice, that he is not responsible for “sinking” areas and it is not a problem with workmanship and if I pay him he will come and fix it. Of course, it is a problem with the workmanship!

Description of Work
replaced driveway

Category driveway pavers

In response to Mr. [removed member name] remarks we could not lower the driveway to meet the side walk for it would compromise the drainage issue and as far as the dip that occurred after the basketball assembly was removed we had filled in the area with dirt and stone base and due to the unknown future of ground settlement that we could not predict. we had received a call and went back out and tried to correct the issue by filling that area in. And we were contacted once again and tried to correct it again. Mr.[removed member name] had just contacted our company again for the same issue and expected us to address the issue once again .after the guarantee was expired. The owner of C.H.Paving spoke to Mr. [removed member name] this week and explained we could not fix the issue for free and explained that our asphalt did not fail it was the earth. The was no other issues brought to our attention this week in the conversation that transpired between Mr. [removed member name] and Mr. Hicks.We try our best to satisfy our customers in the best way possible but we can not satisfy everyone unfortunately.Thank all of you for all your patronage sincerely ,the staff of C.H.Paving

07/07/2014

Dean B.

C H Paving did were very courteous, and did a great job!

Description of Work
C H Paving driveway pavement.

06/12/2014

Gerald Z.

Driveway to replace is 2,000 sq' and 40 years old. Width of drive enlarged from 10 to 12 feet. Supplier arrived in person to provide estimate 4 hours after my email request. Building permit applied for and approved by township requirements. Job to begin the following week. Existing drive removed, borders enlarged, and prepared for new asphalt in approx 3 hours. Six person crew arrived following day to apply asphalt. Crew was very experienced went about each task with skill and respect for any nearby shrubbery or the lawn. Very impressed at the work crew coordination between the laying and rolling of the new asphalt. Company owner returned to make inspection of completed job.

Description of Work
Remove and replace residential asphalt driveway

01/14/2014

thomas H.

Replaced old driveway with new one. Everything went well.

Category concrete driveways

10/10/2013

James B.

I was very pleased with the service from this company. They were very professional in every way. From taking my request for a quote, to the speedy and courteous response, to the excellent result, I could not be more please. They also did this work for almost half the price another company charged a neighbor for the same job. If you need driveway work, call these people. You will not be disappointed.

Description of Work
Removed old asphalt driveway and installed new one.

10/08/2013

Robert H.

They were the only contractor on time for quote. Their quote was 1/2 the quote of the other three quotes I got. Based on BBB and Angie's List I selected them. The owner came and reviewed the site and changed the quote before accepting the down payment. The price now closely matched the other quotes.

Description of Work
I had a gravel driveway. They regraded the driveway. It was draining water towards house and barn. Then put in the new asphalt driveway, 4,000 sq ft.