Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen

New Jersey: General
03/31/2023

499 Morris Ave

Springfield, NJ 07081

As of 5/15 we are doing both inside and outside work following strict CDC guidelines. You can expect 'red glove' service with Technicians wearing masks, gloves, booties and staying a socially distant 6ft away.

We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched
We offer estimates and quotes using video calling
We accept remote payment

Winner of the 2020 Angie's List Super Service Award, a winner nine out of the past 10 years. We are a locally owned family business supported by a national franchise company which is North America's most trusted handyman company. For more than 15 years we've consistently hired experienced, reliable craftsmen​ (not sub-contractors) who are licensed, insured, bonded and background checked. That means you'll receive consistently high quality work that is 100% guaranteed. What sets us apart​: Mr. Handyman's professionals arrive in branded uniforms and vans that are stocked with every tool they'll need for your job. Our on-time record is second to none, and we arrive ready to work. One phone call to Mr. Handyman hires professionals who complete your entire "To Do" list. Every task whether major or minor home repair is prioritized according to your needs. Rather than calling a specialist for drywall repair and another contractor for rain gutter repair, your neighbors consistently choose us for all their home improvement needs. Mr. Handyman can complete a variety of projects for you, from installing doors, to tiling your bathroom, repairing your deck and much more....

4.3

handyman (407)door installation (89)woodworking (89)drywall (66)general contractors (36)interior painting (35)lighting (33)window replacement (28)house painting (27)tile installation (26)flooring (25)siding companies (24)

02/09/2022

Kevin H.

Perfect. Robert arrived right on time and went straight to work. This is the second time Robert has done drywall repair work for us and his work is excellent. The repaired area blends in perfectly with the rest of the ceiling. Robert is professional and very friendly. I highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Repair drywall ceiling after water leak from above.

Category drywall

Work Completed On 02/09/2022

08/19/2021

J B.

Franklyn C. was very professional and friendly. It is clear he takes a lot of pride in his work. He made sure the print was perfectly centered top to bottom and left to right on the wall. He also cut part of the bottom of the radiator cover so it would fit over the molding and be flush with the wall. We look forward to working with him again.

Description of Work
Assembly of radiator cover and hanging of a rare and heavy framed print (4 feet 3.5 feet) on our plaster wall.

Category handyman service

Work Completed On 08/18/2021

07/30/2021

michele D.

Before my appointment I received a complete bio of James, my handyman, including his picture. This was very impressive, and made me feel very comfortable with him when he arrived. James was on time, courteous and knowledgeable. He looked at my electrical issue and fixed it within minutes. I was living in a new apartment where I was having new onset breathing problems. He reviewed the filthy air ducts and exposed fiberglass in the vents. James was concerned and offered to take a look in the attic where he found serious mold issues. He took his time to explain to me what was going on, and helped me make the final decision to move out. He was much more than a wonderful handyman; he acted as a friend and the voice of reason at a difficult time in my life. Mr Handyman, the company itself, was a pleasure to work with. Their admin was skilled and competent. James, my handyman, was knowledgeable, competent, kind and respectful. I have and continue to recommend him to all of my friends and family.

Description of Work
I hired Mr Handyman to do electrical work, but. . .

Category electrician,handyman service,mold removal

Work Completed On 07/28/2021

Review for Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen - 499 Morris Ave, Springfield, NJ - 39422978

07/27/2021

Jacqueline R.

James K and John were fabulous. They were knowledgeable and explained everything thoroughly to me. We were very happy with their services and would use them again. The exterior of our house certainly got a face lift!

Description of Work
Trim work, new tiles for siding to be replaced in some areas, light installed, flashing for trim and under soffits, and new limestone along the driveway

Category awnings,handyman service,lighting,masonry,siding

Work Completed On 07/22/2021

06/28/2021

Stephanie Y.

Great service! They were on time, professional and worked all day. The cost was expensive, however, it was an expensive outdoor kitchen and it was installed without a scratch! The team is very communicative and answered all of my questions. They went above and beyond, call the manufacturer when I couldn't answer a question. I highly recommend this team and I will definitely use them in the future!

Description of Work
Installed my RTA Outdoor Kitchen with Pizza Oven

Category appliance repair,handyman service

Work Completed On 06/22/2021

Review for Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen - 499 Morris Ave, Springfield, NJ - 39386287

06/11/2021

Bertha P.

The services provided were done in the most efficient manner. Workmen were polite and professional. Communication with team members was top notch and responsive. I would use Handy Man of So. Or, Westfield, Scotch Plains, and Metuchin for any repairs I need. I am sure you will be equality satisfied should you chose to use them.

Description of Work
Stair hand rail an deck power wash, stain and reginish

Category appliance repair,decks,deck cleaning,pressure washing

Work Completed On 06/10/2021

Review for Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen - 499 Morris Ave, Springfield, NJ - 39365725

06/02/2021

Avinash A.

I had a truly MISERABLE experience with Mr. Handyman. I called Mr. Handyman and spoke to one of the administrators about wanting to demo an existing shed, and build a new one. They asked for what the shed should look like and some details, I provided a few photos of a relatively run-of-the-mill red barn style shed, they gave me a quote for a shed for $2500, and they put me on the schedule. The primary contractor arrives, tries to convince me to change the shed because the one I wanted will take long to build and is too complicated. I am annoyed, and eventually cave, we agree that he's just going to build a single pitch roof shed. They demo the shed, and then leave for the day. That evening Mr. Handyman calls me to schedule 2 additional days. The day I got cost me $2700, and my yard is completely full of debris from my old shed, a huge ditch excavated, the foundation is about 50% built. So I'm over budget by a bit and the work is at 10% complete. The extra two days will cost an ADDITIONAL $3300. I'm furious, I speak to the owner, we come to an arrangement, I pay a fixed $4500 for labor and give them my credit card to buy materials. I'm WAY over budget but at this point I need it done because my yard is in shambles. Next week they come out for two days, and then leave my yard with literal trash everywhere (see photos), and building materials all over, while also making use of MY ladder and MY wagon. If they care for my stuff I'm fine with it, but still found it shocking that they would just commandeer my stuff for their purposes without even asking (pictured is my own ladder on the shed). They tell me they need me to buy a door, can't find one and ask me to search and find a double door. I'm in way too deep at this point, so I call around and finally find a door. I printed out the product page and reviewed it with them outside and they say "yep, we'll go to Union and pick this door up." They go get it, and the door doesn't fit into their van, contractor is calling me panicking, the owner is calling me and asking me to coordinate between his contractor on site and the helper at Lowes. This is the middle of a work day and I had to abandon an important meeting while this is happening. So now I am spending an hour trying to explain this situation to Lowes and coordinate a box truck delivery for a door that they have marked as picked up by the customer, it's a TOTAL mess, meanwhile my expenses for this shed are nearly triple my original quote as material costs have pushed us above the $6k range already. Fourth day of work comes and goes relatively uneventfully, Lowes fortunately delivered the door for me after much confusion and back/forth ("But it's marked as picked up, where is the door?" etc.), and the guys installed it as an inswing. When we decided on buying an inswing door, the contractor said he could flip the door hinges no problem to make it an outswing, I bought an inswing door because it's the only one available. Who wants a shed with an inswinging door? So I'm busy all day, and eventually they leave at around 2pm having finished everything, cleaned up the site, and mostly leveled the ditch they made. I go outside and find out the door was installed as an inswing, and they installed a doorknob with a lock, which I actually specifically asked them not to. What a disaster of a job. Ron of Mr. Handyman insists that they don't do bait-and-switch type operations. You judge my experience for yourself, I obviously think it was one of the worst contractor experiences I have ever had and will not only never use mr handyman, but make sure that anyone I know is aware of just how awful it was. Tuffshed from HomeDepot doesn't do shed demo but after this miserable experience I say just call your garbage company, get a dumpster, and suffer through doing the demo yourself because in the end you will 100% not regret it. Or call American Shed. Literally anything would be better than Mr. Handyman.

Description of Work
Shed Demolition and New Build

Category garage builders

Cost $7,248.75

Work Completed On 06/02/2021

Review for Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen - 499 Morris Ave, Springfield, NJ - 39354107

We work hard everyday to over deliver to our customers, and in this case we fell short and want to apologize and take responsibility. We take pride in our work, communication and cleanliness, and believe we could have done better especially with communication on your job. We’ve been in business more than 14 years and stayed in business because of our exceptional and consistent service so this review is particularly painful as it doesn’t represent who we are and what we deliver to our customers everyday. We shared this when we spoke to you and wanted to be sure we took responsibility here online.

03/18/2021

Sarah C.

Brian, our technician, was fantastic! He was friendly, professional, and answered all of our questions. He was very clear about what work needed to be done and what work didn't need to be done – he looked out for us and did his best to save us money. The office is also very responsive, and scheduling was easy.

Description of Work
Several odd jobs around the house

Category handyman service

Work Completed On 03/18/2021

Thank you so much for your review. We will be sure to share it with Brian. We are most excited to hear that Brian looked out for you. That's what we are always striving to do.

03/16/2021

Robert R.

Better than we hoped for. Looks like new, is solid and even reduced drafts.

Description of Work
An outdoor window frame completely replaced.

Category picture framing,woodworking

Work Completed On 03/16/2021

Better than you hoped for is the best review of all to receive. Thank you so much for your review. We will be sure to share with your Technician.

01/15/2021

George M.

It went very well. James was a professional and very accommodating and was able to address all my concerns. Thank you for sending him over

Description of Work
Clean up gutters and connect some missing parts

Category appliance repair,gutter cleaning,gutter repair

Work Completed On 01/15/2021

James is a true professional. We will be sure to share this review with James. Thank you for taking the time to leave it. It means the world to our business.

MasterCard, Check, Visa, Discover, American Express

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen

How is Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen overall rated?

Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen is currently rated 4.7 overall out of 5.

What days are Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen open?

Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen is open:

What payment options does Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen provide

Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen accepts the following forms of payment: MasterCard, Check, Visa, Discover, American Express

Does Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen offer free estimates?

No, Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen does not offer free project estimates.

Does Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen offer eco-friendly accreditations?

Yes, Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen offers eco-friendly accreditations.

Does Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen offer a senior discount?

Yes, Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen offers a 5% senior discount.

Are warranties offered by Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen?

Yes, Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen offers warranties.

What services does Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen offer?

Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen offers the following services: Handyman - Drywall, Gutter Repair, Bathroom Tile, Deck Repair, Concrete Pouring & Repair, Masonry, Bathroom Renovations, Siding, Carpentry, Powerwashing, Picture Hanging, Assembling, Locks, Windows, Leaks, Painting, Grab Bars, Faucets, Pet Doors, Caulking, Curtain Rods, Shed Building, Crown Molding, Dryer Vents, Fascia Board, Wood Rot, Framing, Flower Boxes, Bookcases, Skylights, Appliance Installation, Smoke Detectors, Hand Rails, Porches, Screens & New Doors.

Are there any services Mr. Handyman of S. Orange/Westfield/Scotch Plains & Metuchen does not offer?