A Degree Above Heating and Cooling

Founded 2014 • With Angi since May 2014

134 Pehle Ave

Saddle Brook, NJ 07663

We work hard to give you the best service and value for your investment. Our tech's are certified in the repair and installation of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. We pride ourselves on our experience and expertise in the industry as well as our deep concern for our customer's expectations and requirements. Our honesty, promptness and cleanliness is what we are known for. Our heart goes into everything we do. We install and service all major brands of equipment....

06/07/2021

Robin B.

It was fine. They were professional, they tried to be on time.

Description of Work
They did a maintenance checkup on my ac unit.

07/01/2020

michael P.

I’m not a good writer but I felt compelled to say something about Lou and his outstanding team. I hired them to install 2 high efficiency ductless air conditioning units in my home and they were simply exceptional. I am personally in the plumbing field and their work was beautiful. But besides that, I really appreciated that they answered the phone, provided an estimate promptly, showed up when they said they would, were polite and took care of my home. It feels like that should be expected, but I guess not from dealing with contractors in general. I left them alone in my home because I had to go to work and when I came home it was cool!! It really sucks to have your air conditioning break , but it’s great to have these guys around to fix it. Thank you so very much!!!!

Description of Work
2 ductless air conditioning units

10/18/2018

Mimi F.

DO NOT USE THEM!!! WORST EVER!!!! We were customers of the old company that this company bought. We needed them when our AC stopped working this summer and it was HOT out. It took them 5 days to get to us. Then, the guy shut down the system completely, got another call, and said I have to leave, but you can call the office to reschedule --- LEAVING US AGAIN WITH NO AC. We were rescheduled for 2 days later, but when they were supposed to be there, they cancelled completely and told us to find someone else to fix it because they were too busy. Spoke to the Owner to say how can you do this to us, we've been using you for years for our service. He said we bought the company, so it's different now and we can't get to everyone. Meanwhile, it was now Friday @4pm. They totally screwed us and left us with no AC for 10 days in the heat before we found someone else. What kind of AC repair company does this to its loyal customers?!?! BEWARE! DON'T USE THEM!!!!

Description of Work
fix broken AC

01/10/2018

Shirley L.

Have used them numerous times for heating/cooling/boiler issues at various properties and every time they are punctual, professional and friendly. Prices are very reasonable as well. Will only use them for any HVAC issues, great guys!

Description of Work
Central air repair, hot water heater replacement.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac,water heater repair

01/08/2018

Angelo C.

The guy made two visits but charged us for one since he could not do the work the second time around due to frozen pipes. He recommended what needed to be done. Very ethical, professional. and punctual. They send text messages when they are on the way which I loved. Highly recommended!!

Description of Work
Heat did not work in part of a very old building

09/13/2017

Glen B.

Very impressed-- the whole thing went very smoothly. Showed up when promised, completed the work in the timeframe promised and honored their price-- no surprises. Very pleasant office staff.

Description of Work
I had a 2.5 ton central air system replaced. They did a great job from start to finish and offered a very fair price compared to other bidders.

08/28/2017

Steve P.

Found wire to capacitor had burned out, rewired, Made an adjustment now no more noise either. All for the service call price. So honest!!!!

Description of Work
No cold air was blowing, Compressor was banging.

05/03/2017

Henry B.

Great exoerience.

Description of Work
Diagnosed central AC cooling problem and recharged coolant. Explained possible coil leak issue and possible followup action. Lou was very professional and very fair on pricing.

03/28/2017

Jaclynn M.

The name says it all. After getting quotes from five other companies, I chose A Degree Above to replace my central AC and furnace. From the no-pressure quoting process to the immaculate clean up after installation, Lou and his crew (hi Paul) were top notch. As a single gal, other companies tried to pressure me into unnecessary upgrades. Lou clearly explained my options and said even if I didn't go with him, I could call If I had questions about other providers' suggestions. While I haven't had the opportunity to use the AC, the furnace is running without a hitch. I can't wait to see how much lower my bills will be in the summer with this new, high efficiency unit and I won't have to worry about another flood thanks to the new drainage and safety float they installed. Bottom line: I can't recommend Lou and his crew enough.

Description of Work
Central AC and furnace replacement

02/16/2017

Michael M.

They almost completed the job a couple of months ago and then became unresponsive since. We have a situation in our attic that is getting more urgent to address with each day that requires completion of their work to proceed. The lesson I have learned here is to verify that the contract you sign mentions something regarding timeliness, which in this case it didn't. Every time I call to ask for a target date I get the owner's son who responds by saying that they've been busy and that he will relay the message back to his family. A simple targeted completion date is all I'm asking for even if its a few weeks out in time. I really like the family that runs this operation and know they do good work when they are available. It is sad for me that I have to do this, but their unresponsiveness gives me no other option.

Description of Work
We needed a second HVAC unit installed in our attic to support two-zone heating in our house.

02/03/2017

Tammy L.

01/28/2017

Stu F.

Sadly, I now have to rate this contractor with a low rating. They have done fine work for me in the past, and for a number of people I have recommended them too. It was comforting to know I had a company that not only does good work, but that I could rely on too. However, they have now become unresponsive to me. I have spoken to them on a number of occasions, was told they would get back to me, and I never heard from them again. Meanwhile, my system issue is getting more prominent, and I will need to seek out someone else to fix it. Hate to have to put this out there, but I had to be honest, for everyone's benefit. Good company, good service, but I guess just not for me.

Description of Work
Warranty Maintenance on a Mini-split heating and cooling system installed by this company.

09/21/2016

Saul W.

It was fine. They did everything they were supposed to do. They were on time, they made sure they told us everything they were doing and why. I have nothing to complain about.

Description of Work
Changed the furnace filter, cleaned the A/C unit and checked everything to make sure it was working.

09/05/2016

Mark K.

These guys are honest and explain everything in a way that's easy to understand. No up-selling and no pressure...just honest work and they explain what and why things are needed.

Description of Work
Replaced pilot light

06/24/2016

Christopher F.

Called A Degree Above to inquire about our non-functioning central AC. Lou said he would send someone over the next day. The technician the day did not correctly diagnose the issue but, a Degree Above admitted the deficiency and sent another technician the following day who correctly diagnosed the issue, fixed the issue and now our AC is running like a champ. For the past several months we had two other AC contractors look at this issue and both suggested very expensive solutions. $1,000 for a new control board and $600 for a new valve. A degree above fixed it for $175. Highly recommend these guys and I will use them as my new AC/Heating contractor.

Description of Work
Fixed our non-functioning central AC.

06/30/2015

James A.

AC unit was not working, called A Degree Above, they came in about an hour, diagnosed unit, got it back up and running. Very responsive, very professional. We had not required any service on the AC since we bought the house, they answered questions, were very informative and straight forward. Definitely will use them for all AC servicing in the future.

Description of Work
Diagnosed central A/C unit, added Freon.

05/04/2015

AMY L.

They're very fairly priced. It went very well. It was excellent. They’re always on time. They’re receptive. They’re nice, honest, hard working guys who do their very best.

Description of Work
They did a air conditioning tune up. They also did a seasonal tune up.

05/01/2015

kevin A.

I called "A Degree Above" to schedule a service call. I asked if there was a possibility of them coming the next day. I was told that unfortunately the service techs would be on a big job for the entire day. The receptionist asked me to hold for a minute. When she picked up the phone again she said that if I liked, she could have a tech come over early in the morning (7am) prior to going off to that whole day job. I was thrilled to hear that they'd accommodate me like that. Lou showed up at 6:55am and he looked over the system thoroughly. Flashback: Last September Lou had come out to my home to check our A/C system which was not keeping our house cool enough. After 2 hours of troubleshooting if was decided that the Thermal Expansion Valve (TXV) was probably the cause of the problems. The cost would probably be between $600-$800. I told Lou that I would like to have the work done. Lou told me that he would advise doing the work in the spring. So I waited until spring as he suggested. Fast forward to 5/1/15. Lou came to my house early and hooked up all his gauges and looked over the system completely. Everything on the system was working well and we were meeting our Temperature goals in the house. Now it seems the problem from last year has disappeared.... Lou decided to go up into the attic and take a look at the air handlers and get the part number off of the TXV just in case the problems returned as the warmer months arrived. In the attic Lou found a simple mistake that the original installers made that would have a profound effect on how well a system does or doesn't work. Lou remedied the issue in about 10 minutes time. This simple change meant that there was no need for a TXV change and therefore no $600 to $800 charge. I expressed my gratitude to Lou for having a keen eye for the little details that matter so much. Lou was just about to get into his van when I said "are you going to write me up for the service call?". He said "no, I am not charging for this visit". I was sort of shocked and I tried to forcefully hand Lou $100 for his timely arrival, expertise, honest and friendly explanation of all the thing he was checking but he absolutely refused to take the money. I am blown away by this guy and his company. Lou gets the whole "customer service" thing and the importance of honesty and integrity. There is no doubt that I would recommend "A Degree Above" to anyone looking for quality service. Blown away...

Description of Work
Troubleshoot my Central Air Conditioning system

02/28/2015

Matthew H.

Lou and Danny are responsive, honest, charged me a fair amount given the amount. They took the time to show me what was wrong, let me decide to go ahead or not, then gave me advice for the long term care of my unit. They were honest, and focused on doing a good job. The kind of customer service that makes you feel good and is hard to find.

Description of Work
Replaced broken compressor in my A/C.

12/23/2014

kevin A.

I placed the call late in the afternoon around 5pm. I was really pleased that the service techs showed up an hour later to troubleshoot my system. The guys were very pleasant and thorough.

Description of Work
Tested our HVAC Unit for correct function. Tested high and low pressures and added 1.5lbs of Freon. Unit was not cooling adequately. Technicians (2) felt that the issue was related to the TXV (Thermal Expansion Valve). Technician recommended that the repairs be done in the beginning of next spring so that we could monitor the performance of the unit after repairs were all done. I felt the guys were honest and fair with me.

12/06/2014

Donald Y.

They are absolutely fantastic. You call, and it seems like they arrive in 5 minutes. They are hard workers, and do a fabulous job. They won't leave until they have found the solution.

Description of Work
They checked and balanced our HVAC system and generator.

10/18/2014

Dan S.

It went very well. They showed up on time. Performed the work. Upon finishing, provided a detailed description of the work completed.

Description of Work
Complete Steam Boiler Maintenance

06/12/2014

carol S.

The service men were very thorough in checking the unit, even though it is only a year old there were some adjustments that needed to be made. They showed up at the time they promised and were also very neat about coming in and out of the house by covering their shoes with booties and not tracking dirt and debris while working inside and out. I would highly recommend them to anyone in need of Heating/Air Conditioning service.

Description of Work
Spring tune up for air conditioning unit.

06/05/2014

Anthony T.

Great work by both Lou and Dan! Would highly recommend their services for any heating and cooling needs. They were both prompt and efficient in their work. Most importantly they respect the surroundings where they work, which I value greatly. Will def be calling them in the future! Thank you both again!

Description of Work
Moved duct work that was blocking a wall that needed french drain and came back at another time to re-install. Also replaced a bad condenser pump, filter and added Freon to unit.

05/27/2014

Matthew H.

These guys are terrific. Lou and Danny squeezed us into a busy schedule on a hot day, found the problem, and had the A/C up and running within the hour. They are knowledgeable and considerate. They not only did a good job trouble-shooting the problem, they gave me a lot of advice to optimize the A/C system that I wasn't aware of. The advice went way beyond the immediate fix. They are my go-to for anything to do with A/C. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Repaired defective central A/C unit - wouldn't start.