CLC Landscape Design

Founded 1973 • With Angi since March 2008

3.9

58 Ringwood Ave

Ringwood, NJ 07456

CLC HAS BEEN A FAMILY BUSINESS FOR OVER 40 YEARS. WE HAVE 30 EMPLOYEES WHO RANGE FROM LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTS TO LANDSCAPE CRAFTSMEN. MOST OF OUR EMPLOYEES HAVE BEEN WITH CLC FOR OVER 10 YEARS, SEVERAL FOR OVER 30 YEARS. WE USE SUBS FOR ANY SPECIALTY WORK IN THE LANDSCAPE, SUCH AS FENCES, IRRIGATION,

Brian L.
05/01/2022
Not only did they do an incredibly poor job, they actually CAUSED drainage and erosion issues, that they have refused to make right. My impression is that they are greedy and not well organized. Stay away from CLC!
Description of Work
Sloped area
landscaping, architect

In the 49 years that I have helped and served clients in our area, I take tremendous pride in doing everything with impeccable quality and service. Although, several recommendations were made to improve drainage and prevent erosion the client did not want to do them. With the severe rains we have been receiving, the problem has been exasperated. There are solutions if the client would like to reach out to me and discuss them. Thank you, Richard Cording, Owner.
Steven T.
09/13/2020
I was told projects were running 4 weeks out for a project I wanted done this fall. After waiting over a week for someone to come over I received a call from the owner confirming there would be a $2000 design fee or the appt would be cancelled. I was told if I didn't like the design I would have a nice piece of art. That should have been my first clue of a potential problem. I did sign however and gave a check based on reviews I read but 2 days later a designer called to schedule a meeting 2 weeks after that. Then it would take weeks to draw up plans taking us into the winter or spring of next year. I immediately cancelled the contract and asked that my check be returned. It was cashed instead and I now have to sue in court to have my deposit refunded. They claim a check was mailed 10 days ago and I should continue to wait. For Pony Express?? Is business that bad that a company has to steal from a potential customer? A Police report is next. Be cautioned.
Description of Work
Replace a wood deck with a patio.
Category
decks, excavators, landscaping, lawn service, lighting, drain pipe, architect, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Hello [Member Name Removed], Have you received the check yet? My office manager mailed it out over a week ago and I would have to imagine it has arrived by now. It has been well-documented that the US Postal Service has been experiencing slowdowns and that mail is taking much longer than normal to arrive at its final destination. If you haven’t received it yet and don’t receive it over the next few days, I will have to cancel the check and re-send. This would not be the first time since March that I’ve sent something and it never arrived. Please let me know. Regarding the wait time for the design, I am truly sorry about that. I have hired 3 additional designers this year alone and we simply cannot keep up with the demand. As one of North Jersey’s premier design firms, we do not prepare “cookie cutter” designs. Each design is unique and tailored to fit the client’s yard, architectural aesthetic, expected use, and more. Giving each design this level of attention takes more time, but it also creates a design the client is sure to love now and into the future. Best, Rich, Sr.
George W.
05/22/2019
Thank you for your NON-Response. You were the only company not to respond - Very UnProfessional. George 5/22/19
Description of Work
Additional Details: I need my front yard rock wall repaired - Rocks (these are big rocks) are starting to fall down. I plan on filing a tort claim with the Borough of Ringwood so your quick vist would be appreciated. Regards, George 5/8/19
excavators, landscaping

[Member Name Removed], My sincerest apologies. I thought these emails were being received by someone in my office who is responsible for handling leads, requests, etc. from Angie's List and similar sites. However, they were not being forwarded and thus were not seen until months later. Customer service is of the utmost importance to CLC Landscape Design. We have a fully-staffed office and try our hardest to respond to every single lead. Again, my apologies for missing this. We have now corrected the issue and the responsible person is now receiving these notifications. Sincerely, Rich
tom H.
05/05/2017
Let me start this review by saying I found it very hard to select a service provider for landscape design. The work is expensive and if it’s done wrong it’s very expensive and painful to fix. I have had that experience twice with other landscape design companies that did small jobs on my property so I was very discerning when looking for a company to design the patio and plantings around my newly installed swimming pool. Trying to find someone with the right combination of design ideas, and the ability to execute that design is a true leap of faith that requires you to put your trust into the provider. We interviewed 7 or 8 different companies, all of whom seemed to be able to do the job. In the end, we selected CLC Landscape Design based on multiple meetings with Rich and his team, and the feeling of trust we had in their design and their ability to execute. CLC interviewed my wife and I to understand what we liked in a design and what we were looking for in our backyard. They came back with a beautiful design that included a dry-laid bluestone patio, and a whole collection of low maintenance plantings surrounding the pool. The work was completed over a week or so and the outcome was absolutely fantastic. The CLC team turned a nightmare of a space into a resort like pool that totally blew us away. As they promised, the team showed up every day, were great to work with and made the process totally seamless. What I really want to share in this review however is what happened a few years later when we ran into a problem. When we installed our pool, the pool company was responsible for back-filling and compacting around the pool in preparation for the patio. Based on CLC’s recommendation we even waited some time before installing the patio to ensure the ground would be totally compacted. After a few years, however we still experienced settling of the patio so I reached out to CLC. CLC came out to take a look and then sent a team back to my house to reset the patio and fix the settling. Even though the issue was caused by the pool installer, CLC stood behind their work and fixed an issue they didn’t even cause. Even better is the team went above and beyond and fixed other things that were just caused by normal wear and tear. Now the patio looks brand new! There are a lot of people that you can hire for landscape design but it is very rare to find a company that stands behind their work and delivers such outstanding customer service. I want to thank the CLC team for an amazing initial design, and even more for helping me when I had an issue years later. The patio looks fantastic! If you are considering a landscape design project, large or small there is zero reason not to reach out to the CLC team. Their design was great, the execution of that design was amazing, and when I had an issue they stepped up to get it fixed. What else could you ask for in a service provider. Really great job!!!
Description of Work
Design and Install of a patio and all landscaping around a newly installed swimming pool
Category
excavators, landscaping, drain pipe, hardscaping
Doris H.
01/28/2016
Description of Work
New front steps and new landscaping.
Robert D.
10/12/2015
very responsive - very professional & knowledgeable. they listened to my needs and did not try to 'upsell' me on more than i wanted. we came up with a multi-year plan that allowed me a 'fresh start' with my property without having to do everything all at once. the result was great. CLC also coordinated with other contractors ( eg; sprinkler system ) who also did a great job. very satisfied - many complements from the neighbors
Description of Work
Complete landscape design and refresh of my property
Category
landscaping, lakefront landscaping, architect, hardscaping
Taliah R.
07/11/2015
I had an appointment with James of CLC, which was cancelled the day of the scheduled appointment by CLC. When I called CLC to follow up on rescheduling, I was told by the person that answered the phone that she could not reschedule and that James would contact me to reschedule. I was never contacted by James or anyone else at CLC to reschedule. Very unprofessional and I would not recommend CLC to anyone.
Description of Work
No work was performed.
Marcia H.
06/11/2015
Description of Work
The landscaper listened to us about our basement water problems and recommended french drains. He gave us a very "rough" estimate and then returned with a plan that was in the ball park of the "rough" estimate. The work was done well and the drains work well. I would recommend and use them again. | |
landscaping, drain pipe
Emma S.
05/14/2015
Eileen B.
06/30/2014
I recently contacted this office and told the person that answered the phone that I recently moved to the area and I was looking have weekly maintenance, add new landscaping, paver patio area and add stairs to an existing deck. I also explained to her that I was having an issue with a hot tub that was at the house and ask if they took care of hot tubs. She rudely said no I had to call an electrician and hung up on me. I called back thinking I was disconnected. So I call back and she said they don't do that and hung up again. I think she needs to go in another line of work. Maybe work where she doesn't have deal with people.
Description of Work
Weekly maintenance, paver patio, add to existing landscaping and deck work.
Chris B.
06/19/2014
The work itself was wonderful, but the overall experience was poor due to inefficient and poor office management. Billing was done inconsistently, and multiple calls had to be made to the office to clear up discrepancies. Work was done without quoting prices, and then bills were sent covering work from multiple months.
Description of Work
Routine landscaping requirements and cleanup.
Thomas G.
06/10/2014
CLC was a really good landscaper however pricing changed drastically year on year so we decided to go with another provider. Brian is very hard to get a hold off however Alex is top notch. Too bad we couldn't continue to go forward with CLC
Description of Work
spring clean up, weekly maintenance, fall cleanup
Alees M.
05/21/2014
Can not say enough great things about CLC Landscape Design! Very professional company and we will certainly continue our business in the future. Was very prompt to our initial call for an estimate. We were very late in the season in requesting a spring clean up. Rich send us a detailed and through estimate. We were provided a basic list along with any additional work. Rich was very prompt in getting back to us with any questions we had. Once we signed the contract and agreed to the services the crew showed up on Monday morning and worked all day on making our property look immaculate. Thank you to everyone involved. We now have a property that we are proud of.
Description of Work
Spring Clean up, Cut Lawn, Began Lawn healthcare program (full season), Plant healthcare program (full Season), Topsoil for a deep hole we had & Mulch (front & back)
landscaping, lawn service, mulch
KUMAR S.
03/29/2014
The work was expertly done and all clean-up completed in a timely manner. The entire process from estimation to final clean-up was handled in a transparent, service-oriented and professional manner. We will definitely have them back in the spring to help with new landscaping needs.
Description of Work
We called CLC because they had done a great job of putting in a patio and landscaping for our neighbors. We did try to get bids from other companies for comparison but NONE of the other companies bothered to call us back. All trees and shrubs were trimmed and shaped. We have a variety of trees, including several White Birch trees that had not been trimmed in several years and hemlocks that line one entire side of our lot that were overgrown and shapeless. A section of shrubs/plants that were overgrown along the driveway was cleared out in preparation for spring planting.
landscaping, tree service
BERNADETTE G.
09/21/2013
It was a little hard to reach Brian, the Supervisor as he was out ill several times. We had some lawn issues - fungus which was eventually remedied. In the areas where the grass had died, they repaired it with new sod. I didn't renew my contract because I wanted to use an organic lawn service.
Description of Work
Spring cleanup, fertilization and weed control
landscaping, pressure washing
Robert Y.
09/17/2013
Work commenced one week late due to Hurricane Sandy, but this did not effect the overall project timing. We had used CLC four years prior on the installation of an above ground pool and related landscaping. All their own staff and the contractors used for decking and electrical work were exceedingly hardworking and highly professional. We were particularly pleased with their recommended coping stone and decking solution, including the cantilevered design that takes the deck just over the edge of the pool. There were no snags and work was completed on time and within budget and to a high quality. Rich Cording of CLC has worked with ourselves and neighbors over a number of years now and comes up with imaginative solutions.
Description of Work
Worked together with a pool company on the installation of an in-ground pool and associated landscaping. CLC's work included: 1. Disassembling an interlocking block wall and retaining the blocks for reuse at a new location. 2. Installation of a french drain around one side of the pool and behind the new wall. 3. Installation of pool coping. 4. Removal of an existing deck and installation of new Trex decking cantilevered over the edge of the pool. 5. Installation of a fountain. 6. Bed preparation around the other three sides of the pool. 7. Site restoration to repair damage to grass areas caused by the heavy digging equipment 8. Temporary relocation of a hot tub and reinstallation on the new decking.
Category
decks, excavators, landscaping, drain pipe, fountains, hardscaping
Thomas P.
08/13/2013
Over the past year the level of service has deteriorated both in execution and responsiveness Will seriously look at other options for next season.
Description of Work
general lawn care plus landscaping
Michelle O.
07/06/2013
They came to complete the work a day before Memorial Day as agreed however didn't remove all the bushes discussed. trim any trees, and left a broken pot. When I called to complain, the owner came out and I showed him my concerns. A team came the next day and finished the work. Again, still never removed the broken pot. 3 weeks later, I have significant weeds growing up through the mulch and the pot is still there and some of the trees still have not been trimmed. They finally came to remove the pot but did not spread the mulch under the pot or pick up the broken pieces. When I emailed about the weed situation, I was told that I should expect that and they offer a weekly service to take care of that. I put a playhouse up where the sand pit was and was surprised to see the sand under the mulch - yet I was charged a disposal fee. When I received the invoice there was a disposal fee and tax included bumping the price up another $750. When I inquired I was told it's all on the contract - I guess shame on me for not reading their fine print. Bottom line - I would NOT recommend CLC to anyone. The quality of the job was not what I expected. For the amount I paid, I expected a much better job.
Description of Work
I contracted with CLC to remove several large bushes, plant new bushes, remove a sand pit, trim trees and mulch all plant beds.
Jim B.
05/29/2013
Given the total package of what they do, I believe they are reasonably priced. Their work is excellent, and they have a high quality of standards. They are reliable, and they are flexible with their members. We've had them work on a hill and a deck. They are a company that should meet most landscaping needs of Angie's List members.
Description of Work
We pay $3000.00 annually for fertilizing, trimming, aerating, mowing, seeding, and any core lawn maintenance. Also includes spring and fall clean up.
Susan M.
08/09/2012
They do excellent work for me and they take care of my whole property. I would absolutely recommend them.
Description of Work
I use CLC Landscape Design Inc. for landscaping and lawn and yard work. I have been using them for the past one year. I have a contract with them and they come out here every week.
Marjorie S.
03/29/2012
Plans were drawn based on meetings we had with the Cordings of CLC. When the plans met with our satisfaction, the work began. It was quick and professional. Everything that we wanted was done according to specification. Our questions were fully answered, and phone calls were promptly returned. Everyone with whom we worked was pleasant, considerate, and professional. We could not have asked for a better experience, and we're loving our new landscaping.
Description of Work
Our front Yard, which is 100 feet across and approximately 100 feet deep, was completely reworked. A large evergreen tree was taken down and the many roots covering the lawn were removed . The driveway was repositioned, larger shrubs were moved to other locations, and many beds with beautiful flowers were planted. It was a big job!
Category
landscaping, lawn service, tree service
Thomas P.
08/26/2011
They did a great job. They were very professional.
Description of Work
CLC Landscaping Design Inc regarded our backyard last week.
Jim B.
12/29/2010
They have a lawn maintenance crew who will come out 2-3 times a month and if they spot something they will call someone else out who can make the decision to treat. They seem to be sophisticated and deliver a good service. I think they are expensive. I haven?t switched because they are very pleasant and nice to me. I think they are a good company who gives premium service at a premium price.
Description of Work
I sign an annual contract with them. It starts with everything from mowing the lawn and trimming it and the shrubs to keep it looking good. They give treatments and fertilization whenever needed. Any construction work on the lawn is contracted separately. They don’t prune huge trees, but they’ll do little trees. They will aerate the soil. They seem to apply their judgment as they go through.
Category
landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment, leaf removal, tree service
yaniv L.
07/12/2010
We paid $2000 for a multi-phased landscaping design. We worked with their landscape architect for about 6 weeks and agreed on a plan we liked very much. We then contracted CLC to execute phase A of the plan, which included grading of our sloped back lawn, lawn renovation, bed prepearation, formation of a berm and planting. The budget for the planting was $17,000. This work was performed in October 2009. Since it was already the beggining of winter, we didn't spend much time outside and couldn't examine in detail the work. As spring came along, we started questioning the quality of the planting, as many trees and plants didn't recover from the winter. The ones that did survive looked small and monotonous, with very little color and nothing like what was described in the plan. Overall, it didn't look like what we expected out of our budget. We raised the question to the owner of the company and he said that he was insulted by the fact we think we didn't get our money's worth and that it will take a couple of years until the plants will maturing. We then decided to do an inventory of the plants (including taking pictures of all plants and trees), and go to a local nursery and get a quote. It turns out that we could have bought the same plants CLC charged us $17,000 for less than $7,500 retail (both figures include 50% installation cost). When we confronted the owner on this issue, after coming up with a series of execuses, he confirmed that he used a 100% markup, and this is his standard practice. We ended up with landscaping which is nowhere close to what was decided on in the original plan and $10,000 in the owner's pocket instead of in our garden.
Description of Work
UPDATE TO REPORT AS OF 10/21/10: Subsequent to this case being closed by Angie’s list, we did receive the summons for the Small Claims law suit brought forward by CLC, for payment of $1,963 owed. The trial was held on October 21, 2010, and the court ruled against CLC. CLC was found in violation of the NJ consumer fraud act. We were found not liable for the $1,963 payment, and there was a judgment placed against CLC for reimbursement of the our attorney's fee (approx. $2,000). We contracted CLC to do a multi-phased landscaping design, including patios, pool and planting. We Then contracted them to execute phase A of the plan - Bed preparations, slight grading of our sloped back lawn and plantings.
landscaping

The members were clients of ours who, when their landscape project was completed, expressed nothing but satisfaction about all aspects of their new landscape, including the quality of design, plants, and the employees. They paid for the work and they even contracted with CLEC in the spring to do more landscaping. Subsequently, to our shock, the member has demanded a refund. His request for a refund is absurd. 1. His change of hear with regards to the satisfaction of his landscape came in early spring before he could see any of the new plants grow or flower. This is completely unfair time of year to pass final judgment of a landscape. 2. Before the installation began, they asked CLC to reduce the proposed cost of the plantings. We installed an excellent landscape that met their budget; however, we advised them that they would need to wait a little bit longer for everything to fill in to the degree that was proposed on the initial design. It is unfair to reduce a planting budget and then judge the installation compared to the originally proposed landscape. 3. It is wrong for him to attempt to dictate to CLC, or any other small business or contractor, how to price an estimate, especially months after the project was approved and paid for by him. 4. His claim that money was “pocketed” is incorrect. He completely disregards the existence of overhead which is part of the finances of any business. Few of the many items that contribute to overhead include the costs of rent, utilities, insurance, office staff, equipment, fuel, repairs to equipment, medical benefits, unemployment benefits, etc. 5. It is absurd for him to compare the costs of the professional landscape design, plant selection, and overall installation provided by CLC to an unprofessional landscape that would include random plants he purchased himself and had installed by untrained laborers. 6. The landscape work the members contracted CLC to install in the spring was completed. However, they have not paid for this work. CLC is currently suing the members for the balance of the work completed.
Katharine C.
03/05/2009
The workers were clean, quick and professional. I was dissatisfied with some of the subcontractors. I couldn't have been more impressed with their crew.
Description of Work
They did an extensive job. They created a new patio and back garden.

Big Jim's Clean-Ups

Big Jim's Clean-Ups was established in March 1989 from the ground up by owner, Jim Trifari, also known as "Big Jim". He strives to insure that all customers feel comfortable and confident in his services. He understands that working in people's homes is very personal. Big Jim prides himself on always taking extra care when working, whether you need a major clean out from attic to basement, hauling off items like furniture and old appliances, or a demolition of a bathroom or kitchen Big Jim's Clean Ups is your solution. Please call for specific details and to schedule.

Century Masonry & Waterproofing

Water control, drain systems, sump pumps, battery back-up pumps, crawl space encapsulation & wall repair. Additional email - centurywaterproofing@yahoo.com. Additional email - Centurywaterproofng@embarqmail.com

Roy Targia Masonry

Roy got his start over 25 years ago as a member of the local Masons Union. He quickly rose through the ranks demonstrating his abilities as a craftsman as a masonry contractor. Although working in the Union was both rewarding and a decent living, Roy wanted to work on more creative projects. Such projects were not presented to him through his local union shop. Eventually his creative spirit won over his practical side, and he left the Union behind to strike out on his own as a small business owner. Roy and his clients quickly realized his ability as an old world mason with an eye for detail. Targia strives to attain old-world craftsmanship through the application of new-world methods, implementing both technology and technique to meet the client’s needs. In this, the foundation of our philosophy is born “The most important foundation we build is the relationships with our clients”. His ability to manage projects and to over deliver time and time again, is how Roy Targia Masonry and Custom Outdoor Living has been able to build a thriving masonry business in New Jersey. Masonry contractor New Jersey contact masonrybyroy.com. There is no job too big or too small for Targia’s team. Additional DBA - RoyTargiaMasonry.com.

LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE, LANDSCAPE DESIGN, LANDSCAPE CONSTRUCTION. WE ARE DESIGN/BUILD LANDSCAPE FIRM. WE DESIGN AND INSTALL PATIOS, PLANTINGS, SWIMMING POOLS, DECKS, WALLS, WALKS, STEPS, LANDSCAPE LIGHTING, PERGOLAS, AND ANYTHING TO BE INSTALLED IN A LANDSCAPE. WE ARE DRAINAGE EXPERTS. WE ALSO OFFER COMPLETE LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE AND FINE GARDENING PROGRAMS.