Modern Fence

Founded 2004 • With Angi since January 2008

Modern Fence fabricates, sells and installs vinyl fencing materials. 2,500 square foot indoor plus outdoor showroom. Proud owner of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Angie's List Awards. 7 Employees. No Subs. Cost is determined by job. No travel charges....

Albany Style

+14 more images

fence company (143)driveway gate installation (21)

06/24/2022

Konstantin U.

Went great, easy, quick, great value. Mike was excellent, helped with design, great advice, highly recommend.

Description of Work
Fence backyard

Category fencing, driveway gates

Work Completed On 06/24/2022

Review for Modern Fence - 1527 Livingston Ave, North Brunswick, NJ - 39777504

06/05/2022

Steven K.

Excellent. great products, excellent advice and guidance, great installation. Responsive to questions. Follow-up to ensure satisfaction. I’d definitely recommend in the future.

Description of Work
Replacement of gates and aluminum fencing

Work Completed On 05/15/2022

03/13/2022

Carol E.

Excellent! Another great job by Modern Fence, Mike and crew. Removed old fence and replaced with new decorative fence along driveway in the front yard. We are repeat customers and would use them again for any fencing needs.

Description of Work
Replacement of old fence

Work Completed On 03/07/2022

01/24/2022

Biana L.

Mike was very professional and thorough during our estimate appointment and discussed the work in detail. His team worked hard and did a nice job installing my fence which was difficult due to a sloping yard and lots of tree roots everywhere. I am happy with the work they did and would recommended this company to anyone who needs a fence installed.

Description of Work
I had a vinyl 6 foot privacy fence installed

Work Completed On 12/21/2021

01/13/2022

Herc S.

Mike and his crew did a fantastic job on white vinyl fencing for my mother in law’s home. Their professionalism and attention to detail impressed me so much that I will have Modern Fence back to provide the fencing for my own home this Spring.

Description of Work
Back and side yard fencing with gates.

Work Completed On 11/08/2021

01/11/2022

Tibor E.

excellent in every way. great products, excellent advice and guidance, flawless installation, integrated install with shed company, competitive responsive, friendly . . . your basic "5" - Matawan NJ

Description of Work
fencing on two side of yard

Work Completed On 12/15/2021

01/16/2021

Kimberly V.

Mike from Modern fence was phenomenal. We had 3 total estimates before we installed our fence. The estimate from Modern fence was by far the best estimate. We needed about 300' of fencing for our backyard. Mike came out and promptly gave and estimate and detailed exactly what work would need to be done to prepare the backyard for the fence installation. After we had the landscapers come and clear the brush in our backyard, I asked Mike to come back again to check and make sure it was up to par and he had no problem stopping by....he is a really great guy and super helpful. We also had LED lights installed in our fence caps that we are really pleased with.....our total cost for everything including the lights was just under $14,000. We would hire them again, and recommend them to anyone!

Description of Work
Backyard Fence

Work Completed On 10/03/2020

12/04/2020

Justin H.

The entire process from beginning to end was fantastic and Mike was extremely professional. They were quick to respond to calls/emails, the price was extremely fair and the work was done with a very high level of skill. It did take some time to get on their schedule but that is even more of a testament to the overall great experience. Great contractors are busy, less than stellar contractors are not so busy.

Description of Work
Fence Installation

Work Completed On 12/03/2020

11/19/2020

Jeffrey H.

Great experience with fence install from start to finish. I always like to read the Angies List reviews of vendors Im thinking of contacting.to see who is highly recommended . Modern Fence was one of the companies I reached out to for my fence estimate. Mike replied to me quickly when I inquired through Angies List and told me his availability over the next few days to come out for a free estimate. We set a day and time and he arrived on time ( in these times, I'll also note- with a mask, and very aware of social distancing during the appt). While my job was fairly straightforward (single fence line, no gates) he explained my options clearly, along with how he'd make sure the fence line visually appealing given the various slopes of my backyard. We traded emails and phone calls and finalized a week in November for the install. He kept me updated given the recent rains and forecasted weather, and arrived early this morning for the job. His crew understood what needed to be done given the backyard's slope, and clearly worked well as a team, keeping the yard neat throughout their work. They finished earlier than I expected, but had some nice equipment to help with the post hole digging. After finishing the fence, Mike walked with me to make sure I didnt have any concerns with any portions of the fence, or how the yard was left. Everything worked out great.

Description of Work
Add vinyl privacy fence along rear of property

Work Completed On 11/19/2020

09/03/2020

Maryann L.

Perfectly. They are a GREAT company. Love the staff, especially Mike. Very courteous, polite, professional, If I could give higher than an "A" I would. This company installed my fence originally and I was very happy to use them again.

Description of Work
Replace fence from hurricane damage

Work Completed On 09/03/2020

09/02/2020

Armando A.

Showed up without wearing a mask, didn't even have one on him, had to go back to his van to get it, then gave me the runaround after looking at it for two seconds saying we'd have to buy brand new panels and how hard they are to come across. Failure to comply with state law, health codes and basic human decency.

Description of Work
Fence repair

Work Completed On 09/02/2020

07/13/2020

John P.

Replaced existing wood fence with aluminum fence

Description of Work
Ken and his crew did an excellent job removing our old wood fence around the pool then installing a commercial black ascot aluminum fence in a single (long) day. Ken even gave us a discount when we decided to upgrade from a residential to commercial grade after seeing the difference. He answered email and questions promptly. Even came to our house to show samples. Price was very fair. I recommend them.

Work Completed On 01/08/1970

07/07/2020

Walter P.

Overall not pleased. The guy who comes out says all the right things meanwhile the guy who does the install sucks. When speaking about the job everything sounded good. When I came home I saw the guy lost me three feet of property from my retaining wall. When I asked why, his answer was “ we don’t put posts in blue stone” I think it might have been a good idea to mention that to the customer prior to install. It would have took me 2hr to get the bluestone out and fill with dirt instead of losing 3 feet of property for no reason. Since I’m a customer who doesn’t do fence installs it might have been a point to mention that the locks are gonna be upside down of the gates open a certain way. Maybe offer different style of locks?

Description of Work
PVC privacy fence

Work Completed On 07/07/2017

Hi [Member Name Removed] We apologize if we have disappointed you in any kind of way but if you refer to your signed contract on 06-17-2017 we have clearly stated and informed you right in the middle of your fence drawing that we NEED to bring your fence in 3-4’ away from retaining wall. Please take a look at your contract as Mike our sales rep clearly advised you about necessity of bringing your fence in as installation in blue stone is not secure and possibly might destroy your fence. Our installers follow our guidelines regarding proper fence installation And indeed we have installed fence away from your retaining wall for you to avoid damages. If you need a new lock just let us know. It’s a mechanical item and it does break just like any lock at the house might break.

06/03/2020

Darla P.

Modern Fence was a pleasure to work with. Entire fence was done in one day. Very hardworking team and looks great. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Backyard Fence

Work Completed On 06/02/2020

06/02/2020

Michael B.

These guys are wonderful to work with, incredibly responsive, punctual, professional, honest and hard working. We have hired them for two separate jobs and were happy with the looks and quality of the finished product. We recommended them to our neighbors who also ended up hiring them for another job. Within 48 hours of the second fence Mike and team installed for us, a tree fell on the new fence and Modern fence scheduled to come out for a repair job within a couple weeks. Can't recommend these guys enough from Mike and all of his guys on staff.

Description of Work
Backyard in Westfield NJ - Two separate jobs over a two year period

Work Completed On 05/23/2020

06/01/2020

Les R.

Horrible. Never showed up. Gave us a price that we agreed upon. We had to call (Mike) and he said he can't do the job because he doesn't want to fill out any paperwork required by the community we live in, and now he says we are too far away, even though he was at the house when we discussed all this. He had the paperwork for two weeks and never bothered calling us. Would NOT recommend Modern Fence company at all. Not an honest salesperson, doesn't keep his word and now delayed us as we have to research another more reliable company.

Description of Work
Fencing in backyard

Work Completed On 06/01/2020

[Member Name Removed] Your review is not accurate. I did come to your property and met with your wife. I took measurements and provide estimate on the spot. Your wife has contacted me and she said that I need to fill out documents for your home association before we start work. I received your documents, I didn’t have time to review 50-60 pages long documents until last weekend. After reviewing your documents I decided not to take a risk and install fence at your property as it would put our company at risk and it’s against our policy. In addition I never stated that I would not complete the job at your property due to a distance. If your property would be to far, I’d never come to your property and provide estimate. We have never signed contract not you never provided deposit Before contacting any other company please be honest and inform them about the risk they are getting themselves into. I wish you would inform me before I came to your property and provided you with estimate.

05/25/2020

Devon T.

We needed a fence around our pool when we moved in and Modern Fence was very easy to work with and very straightforward. Mike listened to what we were looking for, provided us with some options, and then was clear in communicating timing and next steps. Everything went smoothly and turned out as expected - no issues at all. Very easy overall and the fence looks great!

Description of Work
Fence for a pool

Work Completed On 05/08/2020

11/27/2019

Malcolm W.

Modern Fence, measured, gave a good quote and once the required permits were obtained they set up an installation date. They arrived, and everything was completed within 3 hours. A fabulous job.

Description of Work
A four foot high wood fence, 88 feet long

Work Completed On 11/27/2019

08/18/2019

Thomas C.

With our decision to replace our very old pine stockade fencing with a high-quality vinyl one, we decided to search for a reputable contractor through Angie’s List. Let me start by saying I was a service tech for a well-known home services company for 28yrs prior to becoming disabled 20 years ago. Up until I became disabled, I always did my own construction and repairs around the house. Over the last 20yrs, it has been one horror story after another with many different contractors. In the last few years, I have used Angie’s List with fairly good results so I decided to use them in my search for a fence contractor. I contacted Mike at Modern Fence a few months ago and he came out to talk with my wife and me, to discuss our options and to provide an estimate. Mike was very professional and well prepared. He left no stone unturned, from going over our fence options to explaining what we would need to do prepare for the old fence removal and new fence install. Mike only carries the best quality fencing, so if you’re looking for cheap fencing that will not hold up for many years to come, Mike is not your man. Mike had his laptop with him, which made for a quick and accurate estimate. He also had a pamphlet with all the styles and colors we could choose from. We thought the estimate was reasonable for the quality of the fencing and the removal of quite a bit of old fence. It was important that we felt comfortable with Mike and we did. Mike told us he was very busy and that it would take a few weeks, which was OK with us because we had much work to do to prepare for the install. During the wait, mike took care of the permitting and stopped by to make sure we were ready. He was always available for any questions we might have. Mike called a few days before the removal and install was to begin, which was pretty much the date he quoted us a few previous weeks before. We were also contacted the morning his crew was to arrive, letting us know they were on their way. The crew arrived shortly after with all the materials needed. They were very courteous and Luis, the crew chief, answered all the questions I had at the time. There was a lot of work to do, so it took 2 days to complete the job. I was very impressed by the attention Luis gave to every detail and completely satisfied with the job that was done. Mike stopped by the 2nd day and the day after to make sure everything was done correctly and that my wife and I were satisfied with the new fence and the work done, which we were. I definitely would recommend Modern Fence

Description of Work
Vinyl Fence

Category driveway gates

Work Completed On 08/17/2019

Review for Modern Fence - 1527 Livingston Ave, North Brunswick, NJ - 38052749

03/12/2019

Andrew B.

I started the process of getting estimates for a fence job back in mid February. From the very start, Ken was very professional .He was diligent about setting up an appointment for the estimate . He took his time to explain his product. He was not pushy trying to sell me. Ken kept in contact with me while I was bidding this job . In the end, I went with Ken because he really showed he wanted the job. He was not the cheapest price but was competitive. It was his overall professionalism that made my choice a lot easier . He went out of his way to treat me as he would like to be treated. I definitely would recommend Modern Fence every time!

Description of Work
FENCE INSTALLATION

Work Completed On 03/11/2019

01/21/2019

Melissa S.

The fencing company was very professional and reasonable pricing! I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Backyard Fencing

Work Completed On 01/21/2019

Review for Modern Fence - 1527 Livingston Ave, North Brunswick, NJ - 37668534

06/13/2018

Betty A.

Great. Professional, efficient and courteous.

Description of Work
Fence replacement.

Work Completed On 05/24/2018

05/24/2018

Kathleen A.

Fence installation went very well. It made such a difference on the look of the property. They arrived on time, neatly removed and hauled away old fence. The crew was polite and professional. The price was reasonable.

Description of Work
Installation of new vinyl fence