Monk's Home Improvements

Founded 2007 • With Angi since July 2008

Along with the Monk's Kitchen & Bath Design Studio, we are a full-service home improvement provider. Monk's will help you plan, design, and purchase everything you need for a remodel. Then our expert craftsmen will install everything and our painters will come and complete the job....

Veteran Owned & OperatedVeteran Owned & Operated
LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly

A Service Provider's profile image

+31 more images

The Gentleman's Privy for Mansion in May

The Gentleman's Privy for Mansion in May

home remodeling202007976
The Mansion in May Designer Showhouse and Gardens is the flagship fundraising event of the Women’s Association for Morristown Medical Center. The WAMMC committee selected Tyvan Hill in New Vernon, New Jersey as the site of the 19th mansion in May. The U-shaped home is over 11,000 square feet and boasts ten bedrooms and eight bathrooms. Sitting atop 8 acres, the estate features a large pool and gated courtyard. Monk's Home Improvements completely redesigned a full bathroom for the showhouse. We took a very dated brown and black bathroom and created a glamorous, yet masculine bathroom, for the gentleman's quarters. The new bathroom features a free-standing claw-foot tub, double vanity, tiled shower with bench, wainscoting throughout the room, and striking floor tile that ties everything together.

interior painting (325)house painting (156)woodworking (117)home remodeling (54)door installation (51)drywall (42)flooring (37)hardwood floors (36)pressure washing (35)wallpaper removal (32)decks & porches (32)tile installation (29)

08/25/2022

Nancy M.

Excellent quality contractor from beginning to end. Jon walked our home and created a detailed quote for complete exterior painting and powder washing and staining deck. We have used Monks for several projects, including a complete bath reno. Each contract has been comprehensive, leaving no room for disagreements mid project. Excellent communication thru entire 7 work days. Alberto the crew foreman checked in with us each morning. We always knew what was happening each day. He addressed any of our questions promptly. The crew was punctual and worked solid days. The quality of the finished job is exceptional. We will certainly continue to use Monks in the future.

Description of Work
Paint home exterior, deck staining

Category deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 08/10/2022

04/30/2022

Jason P.

I hired Monk’s to paint the interior of my house. To keep things simple, here are the problems I experienced: 1. They didn’t paint items above your eye level (i.e. you needed a ladder to see) such as the tops of the doors and the upper trims of the windows 2. They didn’t paint items below your eye level (i.e. you needed to crouch down to see) such as the bottoms of the doors and the lower trims of the windows 3. They painted on hardware such as strike plates, doorknobs, window handles, hinges, sliding doors’ upper/lower tracks, and more. It’s nearly impossible to get the paint off the window handles, so ultimately, I’ll have to purchase replacements. 4. There’s overspray on windows, glass, pipes, wires, etc. 5. There’s a lot of drips and uneven painting throughout the house I did a warranty claim, and the owner told me that they could fix everything in 3 days. They didn’t. They came the following week for 2 days and the painters told me they finished. They didn’t. Honestly, I think the crux of the issue is their business model. You might deal with a somewhat reasonable estimator such as Jon Clauson, but ultimately, he’s not managing the project. It seemed no one was really managing the project and ensuring quality. Monk’s seems to be a volume business and subcontracts the work out to people who aren’t full-time employees, so it’s not surprising they might not care about the end result. They certainly aren’t accountable for the end result. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend Monk’s.

Description of Work
Painting entire interior of house

Work Completed On 06/22/2022

[Member Name Removed], I’m quite disappointed to read these reviews regarding your interpretation of the events. From day one I facilitated meetings with the previous homeowner and yourself prior to your closing date, I jumped through hoops to work as a go-between when no one else was able to come through for you. The hundreds upon hundreds of text messages between us over several months about not only our ongoing construction job but about every other new experience and issue you encountered as a first-time homebuyer. The deadlines you repeatedly asked us to meet for your furniture deliveries, moving dates, family visiting, Etc. We worked in the specific areas of the house you requested and accommodated all of your requests in order to have the painting and floors completed in time for your move because I knew it was important for you to move in on time. If you recall, we had a very small window of time to complete the project. When you asked us to assist you with moving boxes from the garage or bringing in packages, we always assisted. When you damaged walls from bringing in furniture or needed help at the house, I never denied your request or charged extra. I feel I and the team worked very hard to make this a smooth transition into your new home with the utmost good faith. Apparently, you agreed because you left a glowing 5-star review in November when you moved in. Looking back now, in our rush to meet these deadlines, mistakes were made, and this is true. However, I believe you and I could have resolved these issues before things went south and we parted ways. In fact, we did come back during the winter and spent many more than 2 days and corrected not only our issues but other issues as well including all the issues in the photos you attached. It is odd to see this review 8 months after we completed the initial job. - Jon

01/22/2022

charles M.

We had a dining room fire . Ashes, soot, ceiling damage, etc. Kurt Becker, foreman Huibel, the rest of the Monk team - did a great job - exceeding what was expected. For example, removing ceiling chandelier, manually perfectly cleaning fire scorch marks, re-installing. And a total, perfect clean up. Monks the best. Chuck Miller

Description of Work
paint, clean up

Category water damage restoration, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, floor cleaning

Work Completed On 01/22/2022

12/24/2021

Mark S.

We were very pleased with the services provided by Monk's. The doors were installed and stained on schedule, and look great. The work team (both carpenters and painters) were prompt, professional, and easy to work with. We now have beautiful doors.

Description of Work
Replace and stain 6 interior and 2 exterior doors

Work Completed On 10/20/2021

10/15/2021

Anne P.

It's great to work with Monk's again. First walked the house with Kurt Becker, then based on our discussion, he made up a couple of estimates, detailing different senarios on the work to be done. Having those estimates in hand, we were able to figure out the exact work we would have done. Scheduling with Kurt was easy. The work crew was efficient, they cleaned up daily, and they turned out beautiful work. We are very satisfied.

Description of Work
Repair and exterior painting of windows on our circa. 1910 home. A few panes were replaced, 2 windows were repaired on the outside framing. All windows were recalked and painted on the outside, and they were washed inside and out.

Category contractors, replacement windows, house painters

Work Completed On 10/05/2021

05/04/2021

Stephanie A.

I highly recommend Monk's. From the first time I reached out to them, the communication was great. Jon arrived on time, gave a prompt estimate and was available for questions via e-mail and phone and a start date was scheduled. On the day of service, Jon communicated the exact time the painters would arrive. The painters were very friendly, thorough, did a great job painting my very tall house, and left the yard clean.

Description of Work
Exterior painting

Category house painters

Work Completed On 05/04/2021

12/14/2020

Mark S.

It went extremely well. The new door is beautiful and the workers were pleasant to work with. We needed some work done outside around the door, and the foreman gave us a great suggestion which worked perfectly for us. The banister (for our center hall colonial) was very intricate, and the old stain needed to be hand sanded in several areas and was tedious work. The crew did a wonderful job, and the new stain looks great. The family room and trim needed to be refreshed (this is the room the French door was added to) and it looks like a great job. The painters were very professional, and did a great job, including cleanup. We could not be happier with how things turned out.

Description of Work
Replace sliding patio door with French, refinish banister, repaint family room (including trim)

Work Completed On 12/14/2020

10/29/2020

Alan T.

The work was done professionally. Kurt Becker was especially helpful.

Description of Work
House painting and minor repairs

Category gutter repair, handyman service, basement waterproofing, house painters

Work Completed On 10/29/2020

10/09/2020

William F.

Absolute nightmare. Single worst contractor experience ever. Ordered new custom windows and french doors. Nothing came in as ordered. Installation was shoddy with paint left on the glass and hardware missing. Installation crew even painted plastic moldings which wer never supposed to be painted and improperly installed window moldings. Custom woodwork (moldings) looked like it was done by a 12 year old in woodshop. Months later we are still without proper hardware. Installation crew did not follow proper COVID protocols. I would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

Description of Work
Windows and French Doors

Category replacement windows, basement waterproofing, woodworking

Work Completed On 10/09/2020

09/09/2020

Jane O.

I talked with Kurt Becker of Monk's Home Improvements on August 13 about getting painters to refresh the rooms on the first floor of my house as well as the master bath on the second floor. The house is for sale and I was contacting him from out of state as I have already moved. In quick order, he visited the house, sent me an estimate and once I confirmed, he booked a start date of Monday, August 24. The painters used a day to prep and to take wallpaper down in one of the rooms. They painted 4 rooms, two hallways, one bath - including ceilings, doors and trim work and were finished by Friday, August 28. The house looks terrific and we are so grateful to Kurt and Monk for their prompt response and quick completion of the job - and especially for working with me long distance. I had used Monk for prior projects and knew I could count on their workmanship.Thank you! Jane O.

Description of Work
Interior Painting

Work Completed On 08/24/2020

09/09/2020

Martha K.

They did an excellent job and did it in a timely manner. They showed up on time and I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They installed a new door and framing. They also built stairs in the basement as well.

Category contractors, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 08/09/2020

07/17/2020

Tom A.

We had Monk's power wash our deck and a few other areas of the house, They did an excellent job as they have in the past for a number of projects. Kurt Becker has been very helpful in planning and coordinating these projects. We highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Power washing

Category deck cleaning

Work Completed On 07/01/2020

Thank you for your continued business! We really appreciate the review.

06/19/2020

cristina J.

Wonderful. The team arrived on time since day 1. Very respectful, diligent and on point. I would definitively hire Monk’s again.

Description of Work
Outdoor painting (house)

Category basement waterproofing, house painters

Work Completed On 06/18/2020

02/27/2020

Jeannine N.

Project went well. Cabinets were repainted. Floor redone. Blacksplash new. Carpentry and painting. John and Jose very responsive to all work that needed to be done. Would hire them again for another project.

Description of Work
Kitchen Upgrade

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, handyman service, hardwood floor, remodeling, wallpaper removal, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, cabinet refacing

Work Completed On 02/24/2020

02/10/2020

Linda W.

Monk did a great job. A special thanks to Ward Malnak. He made sure everything was done as promised. Also, thanks to Gerald for quality painting work.

Description of Work
Interior painting, tile floor installation, wood floor sanding and refinishing. new window and new door installation.

Category ceramic tile, hardwood floor, wallpaper removal, replacement windows, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 10/21/2019

02/09/2020

Warren K.

still in quote stage, w/a appx 3-4 weeks UPDATE AS OF 3/30/2020: They were efficient and knowledgeable, the entire teem of 4. They worked clean, you would never know there was work done there that day ! There was some minor fine tuning needed, it was done quickly and accurately.

Description of Work
replace several interior doors

Work Completed On 02/09/2020

01/31/2020

Patricia F.

Ryan Finn has a great crew and did an excellent job. I would definitely recommend them to my friends.

Description of Work
Repainting of kitchen cabinets, door and window trim, replaced cabinet hardware

Category interior painters, cabinet refacing

Work Completed On 01/31/2020

11/23/2019

Steven P.

They were awesome. They treated the project like it was their own home. The work is outstanding. Beautiful. I will definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Painting and carpentry

Category woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 09/16/2019

11/22/2019

Bob F.

Work was done in November 2018 within about a 2 week period. There were 3-4 workers during the project, all good craftsmen, and open to suggestions and small changes along the way. Oversight and supervision was excellent and it was easy to communicate at any time regarding any details or explanations. Slight delay occurred to order additional decking when initial order ran out (didn't want to overbuy expensive decking material). Working with composite decking material required careful workmanship and lead carpenter was excellent. In addition the original and new deck was in contact with a new three-seasons porch, requiring extra care to avoid any damage to it. Final result met our expectations and then some. Workers also seemed very pleased with their work, many taking pictures after their thorough cleanup, and before leaving. Overall it was a very good experience.

Description of Work
Original (1996) cedar deck, stairs, and railing was replaced with a composite material to match original design. Large original deck (approx. 700 sq ft) needed to be removed, and underlying support structure inspected and strengthened. Original design was reasonably complicated with herringbone pattern, angled benches, and a surround for a tree within the deck area.

Category decks

Work Completed On 11/05/2018

Review for Monk's Home Improvements - 1095 Mount Kemble Ave, Morristown, NJ - 38250324

11/17/2019

Melanie L.

Travis from Monks was a fantastic with response time and coordinated work! Work was done very quickly and I was very happy with the product!!

Description of Work
Painting and tile work

Work Completed On 11/16/2018

Thank you for the review, [Member Name Removed]! -Ty Monk

11/15/2019

Donna M.

Excelllent Responsible, trust worthy and quality work! The best in the business!

Description of Work
Painting, millwork, hardwood floors, bookcases built, moldings

Category decks, drywall, flooring contractor, hardwood floor, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 11/15/2019

Wow, thank you for these very kind words! -Ty Monk

11/13/2019

Megan M.

Excellent service! Travis is terrific to work with.

Description of Work
Paint / interior & exterior

Category drywall, wallpaper removal, woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 11/12/2019