Floor Coverings International

Founded 2009 • With Angi since December 2010

667 Highway 33 East Unit 4-2

Millstone, NJ 08535

We are a boutique shop-at-home floor company. We offer a FREE in-home design consultation where our design associate will meet with you in your home to discuss your flooring needs, ideas and preferences. We offer more than 3000 flooring options from the top brands, all at competitive prices. As part of an international flooring franchise, we purchase flooring materials direct from many of the major flooring manufactures and are able to pass material purchase savings along to our customers. Professional installations supervised by our project coordinator....

10/01/2019

Butch C.

The workmanship was fine and the installer was great. HOWEVER The owner who came and measured the room ordered too much flooring. When the job was done there was a full unopened box of flooring left and he refused to take it back and insisted I had to pay for it! Quote: that’s his policy.. not stated anywhere in the contract Ridiculous !!!

Description of Work
Install hardwood flooring in a bedroom

Category flooring contractor,hardwood floor

Hi [Member Name Removed], We try not to over-order flooring, however, we never want to be in a situation where there is not enough. It is standard practice throughout the flooring industry to account for 10% of flooring material for waste, and it is common for there to be 3/4 to a full box of flooring left over after a project. This is also to benefit the homeowner. Should floorboards ever become damaged, there is the exact material on hand to replace it. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope you are otherwise satisfied with your new floors.

03/20/2017

Dan G.

By appointment store visit, sale, measure, and install all went just fine. Very happy with Mike and the Installers.

Description of Work
Carpet installed in Large family room and two bedrooms

Category carpet installation,flooring contractor

Thank you for your review!

06/12/2016

walter S.

They had came on time. Explain what will be done. If we had a question, after all the question they started the job!

Description of Work
They layed out floor down stairs what a great job!

Category flooring contractor

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad you are happy with your floors! We hope to work with you again in the future.

10/24/2015

Susan M.

Mike Killeen came to our home to give us a quote for a wood floor to be laid in our living room. Mike was a pleasure to work with and is a good asset to the company. Very professional!

Description of Work
Laminate floor put down in living room and carpet taken up.

Category flooring contractor,hardwood floor

Thank you! We appreciate your business.

10/12/2015

Jane W.

The guy who did the selling and was the representative is extremely nice. He helped me, picked about and his name is Mike. The carpeting installer was fine, the hardwood installer was a joke, he barely spoke English and he had a pencil sticking out of his rear pocket and he was on his knees and he marked up all my walls. When I pointed it out to him he was like very frightened and literally didn't finish the job and ran away and then I had to complain and they handled it fairly well but not very.

Description of Work
I used Floor Coverings International for carpeting and flooring. They did carpeting in the living room, dinning room and the hallway and also hardwood flooring in the hallway.

Category carpet installation,hardwood floor

We are sorry to hear our services did not fully meet your expectations. We hire skilled and knowledgeable installers and are always striving to improve. Thank you for your feedback.

04/20/2015

John C.

They had a bad piece in, came back and corrected it. They were very good about it. They moved a piece of furniture, a piece of pottery fell out and broke. The pottery is not replaceable because of its age. I bought that for my wife back in the 50s. They settled up almost instantly. They just wanted to please in which way they could. They are not cheap because I got quotes from other people that were less. They were very professional.

Description of Work
They came out and put a new floor down for me.

Category flooring contractor,hardwood floor

Thank you for leaving us a review! We apologize for the pottery accident but hope you enjoy your new floors.

01/29/2015

Marianne F.

It went okay. It dragged because there were problems. It one of the room it looked like the cut out a piece and put it back in. They finally did come back and put in a new section for me. The carpet was fine and they were nice to work with, it was just a little inconvenient.

Description of Work
They removed old carpeting and installed new. The reason I used them is because they agreed to haul away my old carpet.

Category carpet installation

10/11/2014

Chris R.

First let me say that all people involved were courteous and the flooring did go in nicely. However, it was a journey: I got three estimates for the flooring. Mike (the owner) came out and gave a very good presentation going over all the types of wood flooring that were available. Being in the contracting business myself, what I particularly liked was that Mike brought up possible extra charges that could be incurred should the understructure of my flooring be defective in some way. I had Mike factor these possible charges and I knew the estimate would be my true cost even with the worst conditions. It turned out that there were no such difficulties anyway. A brief visit to Flooring International's showroom closed the deal. I gave Mike his deposit and the job was underway. Mike estimated that it would be two weeks to get the job started and it would be a two day process for completion. Mike also mentioned that the flooring itself would be brought in a few days prior so it could get acclimated to the humidity of my home to insure a better installation. That sounded like a good idea to me. At that time Mike also introduced me to his project manager, Jerry Angel. Going into the third week after the deposit was paid, I hadn't heard form Mike so I gave him a call. I certainly wasn't upset at all because contractors are rarely on time. Mike called back right away explaining that there was a little delay in getting the material I had ordered and that installation would be started the following week which it was. According to plan the flooring itself was delivered. The issue I had was that the delivery man could not speak one word of American English. My live in girlfriend speaks English as well as fluent Spanish, but there was no communication that could be accomplished as his language was completely different, possibly European but as I was not there at the time so I don't know. The point I'm trying to make here is that it is understandable in this current economy that foreigners are employed. However, for any worker not to have any (I want to stress the word "any") ability to communicate there can be a dangerous situation created. For example, one could tell this worker "Please don't go into the kitchen, the floor is very wet". The worker doesn't understand what was said to him, walks into the kitchen, slips and is injured. Guess who might be liable! Me! Finally, the day of the installation. As I work only five minutes from my home I decided to stop to see how things were going. Getting out of my car I saw the first thing that caused concern. The logo on the installation van wasn't Flooring International but rather another company's name. That spelled to me sub-contractor which is not always such a good thing. Subs get paid by the amount of work they do and do not get paid by the hour. The installation can then suffer as the concern shifts from quality of the work to quantity of the work (in an effort to make the money quicker). There were three workers at my site. The foreman (a very courteous young man) and I spoke briefly. It was difficult to understand him but we could eventually communicate. My girlfriend's Spanish was still of little use here as the gentleman were from Brazil and spoke Portuguese. After a brief conversation I returned to work. I finally arrived home at days end. As I walked in the foreman raised something in front of my face and asked "do you know what this is? I did recognize it as a wood staining pen. He then proceeded to show me how to use it on the flooring that had been marred by the installation. After that brief demonstration I noticed that there were all these dull black marks on the floor literally spaced six to seven inches away from each other all over the installation area. He told me that these marks were created by the nailing hammer used in the installation and that I could easily clean them up. He proceeded to put water on a rag and started rubbing. Unfortunately, the stain was not coming up. Throughout all of this I'm saying to myself "why do I have to do this? Isn't touch up part of the installation? It was time to call Jerry Angel! Jerry showed up promptly that evening. We when over the problems just previously mentioned and some other small matters too. Jerry noted all concerns down on a pad and left it on my kitchen table. The molding installation was to be done the next day and the problems would be taken care of then. The next day the actual owner of the sub-contracting company showed up assuring me every thing would be made perfect. There was only one small problem. This owner nor any of his men could read the American writing that Jerry had written down so my girlfriend had to then struggle to convey what was written on the pad to the men that couldn't read it! Eventually, everything was finally completed. I'm sure the sub owner was concerned about doing a good job but his actions could have expressed it better. For nearly 20% of the day he was on his cell phone speaking to his wife about a birthday party he was in a hurry to get to. In his rush he put a hole in the wall just above a piece of the molding in the corner of a room. My girlfriend brought this to his attention. His answer was "You can patch it" This attitude makes me tend to think that he was more concentrated on the party rather than being concerned about my flooring (which I may add that it was my money that was paying him). Not very good customer relations. In short the job was completed, the final walkthrough was done and final payment made. End of story. On a side note I will mention while I was away at work (on day one) my girlfriend observed that the workers had the new flooring spread out in small piles all over the installation area. They didn't seem to have any regard for the wood as they walked all over it with the material shifting and (and I would assume) scraping the boards underneath their feet. My girlfriend questioned them twice on this point. Their answer to her was "Don't worry about it" Mike and Jerry need to get their act together. They need to be more selective with their workers (or subs) and supervision needs to be greatly improved. Flooring International seems to act like an army where the general points to his men the direction of the battlefield and then retires to his tent.

Description of Work
Removed just under 1,000 square feet of carpet replacing with hard wood flooring.

Category carpet installation,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

09/30/2014

Kristin V.

Had floor coverings international in for an estimate to have my floors sanded and stained. Very professional, came in a marked van with the saleswoman being semi-knowledgeable. Used electronic measuring tools to be sure of square footage. Ended up going with a different company for a number of reasons. Reason 1: We wanted to have our railings done at the same time and we would have had to had a second company in for that. Reason 2: We didn't like that they farmed out their flooring work to a 3rd party subcontractor. Floor coverings int'l said they would stand by their work but didn't sit well with me that I would have a different company in to do the labor. Reason 3: Another 2 companies came in 500.00+ cheaper for the sanding job. Maybe if I was having a floor laid with tile or bamboo puzzle-piece flooring I would have them back, but not for what they offer for sanding and staining.

Description of Work
Estimate to sand and stain 1150 square footage.

Category ceramic tile,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

Not sure who this customer is, but this is not a customer of Floor Coverings International Monmouth County. They posted this review with the wrong company - must have us confused with a different Flor Coverings International location

08/21/2014

Lorraine S.

Mike was very professional, informative and stayed on top of the project. The workers were very nice and did an excellent job.

Description of Work
Ripped out old carpet, moved furniture, sand & finished hardwood floors, supply oak overlay stair tread.

Category carpet installation,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

07/21/2014

Anthony B.

It was an excellent experience and I would recommend them to anybody. They were on time, professional and neat. They are one of the best overall contractors that I have used. His price was very competitive and he was willing to work with me. He was comparable to every other company that I received estimates from. He also offered a warranty. The owner showed up for the estimate and provided samples and went through pricing. I can say enough good about the owner, installation and service manager.

Description of Work
They installed new flooring in my whole house. They did hardwood, laminate and tile.

Category ceramic tile,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

06/10/2014

Kate D.

Very professional. Because of the age and condition of the current floor, the estimate to replace damaged patches was outside our budget. We decided to remove and install a new floor ourselves.

Description of Work
Provided me with an estimate to refinish and repair antique hardwood floors

06/10/2014

ADAM S.

They did a good job. I recommend them to anyone. Explained eveything well.

Description of Work
New carpet in the basement.

Category carpet installation,flooring contractor

06/04/2014

Rebecca A.

We live in a basement level condo with occasional plumbing issues so we needed a product that could be laid on cement floor and would tolerate exposure to water. We went to FCI because of their good reviews from this website. I emailed the company with some questions and Mike provided a great response and recommended we schedule an inhome consultation. He brought sample boards of the products and recommended their line of luxury vinyl plank. We selected 3 different colors we were interested in and he arranged to have Shaw (the manufacturer) send a full length board in each color to our home which arrived a few days later. He was very patient as we took almost 2 weeks to decide. He put together 2 flooring proposals and included information about the cost changes involved in different choices. The proposal came the day after the initial consultation via email and was very throrough giving us greater confidence that there shouldn't be any crazy surprises or changes on their end. Once we made the decision we had a second appointment to sign the contract and put down the deposit. After that we heard from Gerry the project manager and he arranged the install date with us. The installers were excellent. Extremely hard working with excellent attention to detail. They were very courteous and did the work in a way that allowed us to regain use of the living room at the end of the first day. They made sure everything was well covered with plastic to lessen dust mess and when they left their work area was spotless. I'm sure our living room will never be so clean again. They never required anything from us at all and were very concerned that we were happy. The job was 2 full days and at the end it looked perfect. We've been living with it for 3 weeks now and its fantastic. Feels great underfoot, looks sharp, and seems quite robust. We were very happy with the customer service and product options offered. We felt that we got a better product with better service at a comparable price to the estimate we received from a big box store.

Description of Work
We had the existing carpet, ceramic tile, and vinyl tile removed in our kitchen, living room, and hallway including connecting closets) replaced with luxury vinyl plank recommended by Mike for our particular situation.

06/03/2014

Elaine K.

They did great work. They came in, their prices were very competitive, and the quality was great. The workers came in on time, and did everything great. They were very clean, and they cleaned up really well after themselves.

Description of Work
Floor Coverings International did 2 floor coverings for us last March.

05/09/2014

Charles S.

Date of Contract: December 28, 2013 Removal of existing Vinyl Flooring down to subfloor in kitchen Disposal of all trash from job Installation of new Vinyl Flooring Total Cost: $2,036.85 Work Performed: Date: January 17, 2014 Removal of existing Vinyl Flooring down to subfloor in kitchen Disposal of all trash from job Installation of new Vinyl Flooring Additional Work Performed at no cost due to poor workmanship: Date: March 21, 2014 Removal of Kitchen Cabinet Doors and Drawer Fronts by Griffin?s Refinishing Date: March 22, 2014 Removal of Vinyl Flooring installed on January 17, 2014 down to subfloor in kitchen Disposal of all trash from job Installation of new Vinyl Flooring Date: April 25, 2014 Installation of Kitchen Cabinet Doors and Drawer Fronts by Griffin?s Refinishing Date: May 9, 2014 Final InspectionDuring the removal of my old sheet vinyl floor, Floor Coverings International damaged every cabinet in my kitchen to include some of which were only a couple of weeks old which ended up taking months to fix. During installation of the new sheet vinyl flooring the did not use the correct adhesive resulting in squeaks everywhere.Floor Coverings International is the worst company that I have ever worked with. It would takes weeks for them to return emails and voice mails and would always blame some kind of illness for not returning my calls. The only time that they every communicated quickly (within 5 days) is when I threatened to take them to court.If you want a good experience in getting a new floor stay away from this company!

Description of Work
Removal of old sheet vinyl floor and installation of new sheet vinyl floor

05/06/2014

Eve V.

Their service has worked out good. I like them and I checked their ratings on Angie's List before I decided to go with them. I also used them in April and in October of last year so I used them three times for three different rooms. I like their selection and when the person from the company comes, he is very easy to work with and there is no high pressure. He gives you a written estimate quickly in detail and there are no surprises. The work is done with quality and you pay after the work is complete and you are satisfied. I have been really pleased with them. Their pricing is quite reasonable.

Description of Work
The last time that I used Floor Coverings International was in March of this year for flooring work.

04/29/2014

Amanda S.

Very well done. Seamless, there was some minor damage to walls, walk through,

Description of Work
New carpet.

Category carpet installation

04/19/2014

Thomas R.

Good overall experience. Mike, the owner is knowledgeable and provided a detailed estimate.

Description of Work
Removed carpeting in several (two) rooms, hallway, stairs. Installed hardwood flooring and moldings on base of floors. Also stained stairs on steps.

Category hardwood floor,mold removal

04/07/2014

Beverly T.

I contacted this company to get an estimate for refinishing my hardwood floors. I received a quick response a fair price and quality information on procedure. I decided to wait until next year and will certainly call this company when I am ready.

Description of Work
Provided verbal estimate based on sq. ft. of hardwood

04/06/2014

Eileen R.

The workers were excellent, but the quality of the material is very poor. I would have installed wood flooring and ceramic or porcelain tile instead of vinyl. The kitchen/entrance tiles look very spotty. The wood look tiles scratch easily.

Description of Work
Installed vinyl flooring in the living room, dining room, and two bedrooms. Installed vinyl tile in the kitchen and entrance.

02/17/2014

Janet W.

I went to the showroom so I could see what products were available. Mike Killeen spent a great deal of time explaining all my options (hardwood, engineered, laminate and vinyl that looks like wood) and the pros and cons of each. I received detailed estimates of three choices. Once I made a decision, he came to take measurements. We set a schedule working around the Thanksgiving holiday. The wood was delivered three days prior to installation. The regular installation crew arrived early as scheduled. They removed and took away the existing carpet. They worked a long day to complete the installation in one day. At the end, the crew chief checked the floor to make sure all debris was removed and the floor was clean. A few days later the Coordinator did a final walk thru to make sure I was satisfied, answer questions and give me advise on floor care. I had received estimates from several firms. Floor Coverings International was not the lowest, (I could buy a cheaper floor at a big box store) but I was convinced that they would provide quality product and installations. I was not disappointed and would highly recommend this firm.

Description of Work
Installed engineered wood floors in living room, dining room and family room of my home.

01/12/2014

Scott H.

Called and got a scheduled visit with samples to choose from. The salesman was patient with us as it's been a long time since we put new flooring in our home. Once the choices were made the materials and scheduled install was on time and took less time to complete then we thought. Not an easy task with the holidays being so close! Installers were professional and and worked quickly to get the job done. Very happy!

Description of Work
New floors

12/07/2013

Loretta J.

This was a Great Experience! From the beginning , Mike was quick to contact me and stayed in touch during the whole process. He came and measured, got right back to me with alternate estimates, and had a thorough knowledge of all his products, along with samples. His price was the best of all the estimates I got for this job and you can't beat the customer service! His crew was polite, neat, and hard working. They took care not to make a mess, not to scratch walls when moving things, and not to scratch the furniture. They were able to strip a glued down hardwood floor from my basement in less than 2 full days ( it's a Big basement!) and installed the carpet in both rooms and the basement in one. Great crew . Mike and his assistant showed up to check the progress and make sure I was totally satisfied through out the process. This is a great business to deal with and I would definitely use them again. I highly recommend them!

Description of Work
Carpeted a bedroom and an Moved furniture, removed old carpet, installed new carpet and padding. Moved furniture, removed hardwood glue down floor and installed padding and carpeting.

10/26/2013

John P.

I personally wanted to thank you Mike Killeen owener of Floor Coverings International of Monmouth County, NJ for the exceptional work your company and installers provided in refurbishing, sanding our hardwood floors, and installing new carpeting throughout our home. I have worked with numerous contractors through out the years and have never been really impressed by other contractor's professionalism or the quality of the work. I really appreciated Floor Coverings International starting the job at the specified time and finishing the work on the agreed time schedule and taking the time to provide me the background details and steps that would be taken to minimize the dust in the rooms when sanding the floor. Your representatives were all very courteous and extremely helpful & polite. I was most impressed by the quality of the completed job and the timing from my initial call, scheduled walk-through to actual work complete. Mike" you and your crew takes great pride in their work and it showed throughout the process of refurbishing our hardwood floors. The wood floor makeover turned out better than we had expected. I was initially concerned about the level of customer service and how punctual the installers might be as we have a busy schedule during the week. In a world where customer service is mediocre at best, I was surprised with the people and their work at Floor Coverings International. We also appreciated that you were accessible throughout the project to resolve any questions or concerns we had. At a time when you hear so many horror stories about contractors, it was refreshing to find someone who did what he said he would do at the agreed-upon price and on schedule. We will deffently recommend your company to anyone needing hardwood flooring and carpet services. Just wanted to say thank you ? our floors look fabulous! Best Regards' John & Pam

Description of Work
Floor Coverings International provided excelent service's for refurbishing, sanding of hardwood floors, and installing new carpeting throughout our home.