Ararat Carpet & Flooring

Founded 1951 • With Angi since November 2007

170 Rte 70

Medford, NJ 08055

It's all about you and your needs at Ararat. Specializing in floating floors, carpet, vinyl tile, and laminate installation and sales. ...

12/09/2016

ROSEANN V.

I was able to call and get an appointment within days of the call, between Thanksgiving and Christmas - likely one of their busier times. The team was late in showing up, but they called to warn me that they had some issues leaving the showroom. The two gentlemen who arrived were greeted by my German Shepherd Dog, who said that they were trustworthy, and were permitted to enter. They took their time, went through the pricing, and started working. They took care of our furniture, and treated the home with respect. We'd had a different company clean the carpets before who did NOT treat our furniture with respect, so I was pleased with how these two did. In the end, they'd worked hard, and got out 99% of the stains (note the aforementioned reference to pet ownership). The carpets don't look new, mainly because they are NOT new and they are beginning to show their age, but they look better than I'd hoped. The price included Scotch Guard treatment, which was an additional $70. I did not price shop - I was looking for quality work, not inexpensive work, so I don't know how their price compares. I would definitely hire them again, and are likely to look to them first when it's time to replace the Berbers. (BTW - avoid oatmeal colored Berber carpets if you have kids or dogs or humans living in your home).

Description of Work
We had our 11 year old oatmeal colored Berber carpets and newer plush carpets cleaned. These haven't been cleaned in quite a while and were in pretty rough shape. We weren't looking for miracles.

11/16/2016

Maloney D.

We recently had two of our floors done in our home, Hardwood and Luxury Vinyl Tiles and they came out great. The owner Bill was professional and very friendly. He was extremely helpful to us in making our decision on what type of floors would work best. Doug, who did our installation on both floors, was knowledgeable, gave us good tips on caring for the floors and did great work. We were very satisfied with the price and the quality of work. I would highly recommend this company to anyone.

Description of Work
Hardwood floors in our living room and Luxury Vinyl tiles in our basement

Category flooring contractor, hardwood floor

10/31/2016

Mike M.

Bill thoroughly explained all of the answers I had in the selection process. Once I chose the carpet it got installed quickly and looks great. I got personal treatment and a buying experience that you do not get these days. This is the second time I have used Ararat Carpets to buy carpet I have needed and would definitely use them again!

Description of Work
Replaced carpet in entire house.

10/30/2016

Kim M.

My husband and I gutted and revamped our home in 2014. We had Ararat install carpet in 2 bedrooms, we could not be happier. Vicki spent a good amount of time sharing her wealth of knowledge regarding durability, traffic ratings, and grades of carpet. We then had Ararat order 4 different area rugs for our family room, play room, basement and dinning room. Bill did a fantastic job binding each of those rugs for us. We also struggled with the shape of our family room rug due to our open kitchen/living area. We received great advice on possible options and are satisfied with what we ultimately chose. Most recently, we had Ararat clean our couch cushions. Our son was quite the spitter during his first few months. Mike cleaned 2 cushions for us. When returned, neither one had any visible stains nor did they have any sort of chemical smell. Needless to say, Ararat hit all 3 of our needs out of the park. 3 for 3. We definitely recommend the company.

Description of Work
Installed 2 Bedroom carpets. Cut and bound 4 area rugs. Cleaned couch cushions.

Category carpet cleaners, carpet installation, upholstery cleaning

10/30/2016

Gerry G.

Seller kept the store open until we had completed our selection. Carpet came in quickly, the installers arrived on time and they left our home free of all carpet debris. Carpet was excellent quality with no flaws. .

Description of Work
sold and installed carpet

10/27/2015

Wendy T.

Carpets are of high quality, with thick pads. Installation was smooth & professional. It's been several months since they were installed and they still look and feel great.

Description of Work
Sold & installed new carpets in 2 bedrooms, upper hall, & stairs. Bill called to check on us recently to make sure that we were still satisfied with our purchase, even though it has been several months since we had the carpet installed. Can't remember our total cost.

04/17/2015

James S.

New floor was installed in a day as promised. Workers did an excellent job. All of the old flooring was removed and hauled off premises. Workers were courteous and professional.

Description of Work
Installed new floor in master bathroom.

03/25/2015

carmela M.

Family owned and operated business is the way to go. Kind, informative, and accommodating. Installers were punctual and cleaned up. ARARAT maintains old school integrity. Thank you ARARAT!

Description of Work
Vinyl and carpet installation.

12/01/2014

Marj M.

Angie's List just paid for itself. I am that happy to have hooked up with Ararat Carpet and Flooring. Here's what I think you need to know. Ararat is a mom and pop type of establishment which is a big plus for me. I could not believe that on the first phone call Bill, the owner, came out to see the rooms involved and to talk about what I wanted. None of the bigger name establishments would send anyone out unless I made a commitment. What's up with that? Having Bill in my home talking to me about what I wanted and looking and some of the potential trouble spots was extraordinary and I learned a lot. I will say that my choices were much more limited at Ararat's than at other places I shopped. That actually worked out well for me. Bill is clearly smart enough to stock a good variety of items so I was choosing between different looks rather than 100's of what is basically the same tile. There was enough for me to choose from without overwhelming me. Funny thing is, I pooh-poohed one of the first tiles he showed me and that wound up being the tile I chose. I should have known better. I suppose after talking with me and seeing the rooms, he had a better idea of what I wanted than I did ... he was right! I love it as much now as I did all those months ago. In fact, I had a plumber in the other day and the first words out of his mouth were, "Hey, did you have this floor put in? I really like this floor." Cool. Let me tell you about his installer, Doug ... so, so, so, so good. His attention to detail is astonishing. I have a pantry/equipment closet and had pretty much resigned myself to just a thin line of tiles running the length of it. Doug is such a professional; he felt that would not be attractive and pieced together a floor around an existing water heater and furnace that every single person I've shown (and I've shown everybody) thinks is a full installation. He is that good. Here's the bottom line. Rather soon after meeting Bill (and his wife) I just plain trusted them. That doesn't happen often when contracting for home improvements. His bid was not the least expensive, but it was surprisingly competitive. I believe he completely honored the Angie's discount.; I have felt distinctly the reverse with other Anglie's List contractors. Bottom line, these are good people and that matters. A lot. I have never been so comfortable, nor felt so confident in booking a job. I like these people so much that I already know I am contracting them for my hard wood floor installation. And, after that, we talk about the upstairs. Really. No question about it. I was a person to them, not an invoice. That matters. A lot. Besides, they gave me a high quality floor expertly installed. ... I am so close to being able to get that hard wood floor ... if you're reading this, Bill, see you soon!

Description of Work
Installed ceramic tile flooring in kitchen and powder room

Category carpet installation, ceramic tile, flooring contractor, hardwood floor

09/02/2014

Rita B.

I haven't found any flaws, they were very nice and respectful. They were accommodating!

Description of Work
They put in new carpet throughout the whole house, as well as got rid of the old carpets.

08/11/2014

DARLA K.

I've been taking care of my NJ property while living in Washington and Bill at Ararat Carpet is one of the guys that makes the long distance property management easy. Bill worked with me via phone to schedule appointments, he mailed carpet samples to me and had everything taken care of before I arrived (the day before installation). The entire process went smoothly AND the guys that installed the carpet were fantastic. The vinyl flooring was a last minute decision but Bill was there to make it happen for me withing a couple of days. He is the kind of guy that would work late nights and weekends just to make sure you're happy with the service and the flooring. Awesome! This is the second time I've purchased carpet from Ararat and I'll be back in two years when it's time to change out more carpet.

Description of Work
Install new carpet and vinyl flooring

07/03/2014

Victor P.

Very good. I believe they were recommended but I don't remember by who.

Description of Work
We just moved into the house and the floors needed to be cleaned real bad.

06/17/2014

Glenn F.

They were good. Two people came in. They moved the furniture and beds at no charge. They put the padding and carpeting in and then put everything back. They had come in a few weeks before with samples and we looked at the different colors and picked out what we wanted for different rooms. It was good carpet and felt beautiful.

Description of Work
They laid carpet in two bedrooms.

06/10/2014

Christina H.

We ultimately went with another company. While Ararat was very professional, courteous, prompt and reasonable with their estimate, their selection was somewhat limited. We decided we wanted another type of hardwood that he didn't carry.

Description of Work
Gave us an estimate for removing old parquet flooring and wall to wall carpeting, and laying new hardwood flooring.

04/03/2014

KATHLEEN N.

Excellent service. Called as soon as rug done.prompt and professional

Description of Work
Cleaned rug. Treated rug for moth infestation

03/31/2014

David R.

My wife and I first visited the Ararat store after reading other Angie's List reviews. The showroom was smaller than the big box stores, but we we received personal attention from Bill and Vicky in helping to choose the carpet we wanted. Bill later came out to our house to measure our rooms and provide us with the final estimate. The day of the installation went smoothly for the most part. However, I later noticed that there was some damage to my stair railing as a result of the work. Bill worked with us to resolve the problem. It was clear from our experience that Bill sincerely cares about the quality of his work and the satisfaction of his customers. While we were satisfied with the work in the end, there were a few minor nuisances in our experience. First, Ararat does not use email, so all communication not in person must be over the phone or by fax. Second, we found that Bill would sometimes forget when he made an appointment, resulting in the need to reschedule.

Description of Work
This provider installed new carpeting and removed existing carpeting. A berber style carpet was installed over a concrete slab in the basement of my split level house and a frieze was installed upstairs.

12/06/2013

John F.

Ararat did a great job with my carpet installation. When I stopped by their showroom they were very attentive and helped to educate me on all of the different attributes of what drives different grades of carpet so that I could understand the quality differences at different price points. On the home visit they brought a more narrow range of samples based on the original conversation that helped me to pick the right balance of cost and quality. Installation was a breeze. It was friendly with high quality workmanship. Far superior to the last carpet installer I worked with. On the whole Ararat made it very easy, the carpet looks great and the price was reasonable and fair. I would use them again.

Description of Work
Ararat installed new carpeting for me on my ground floor.

11/26/2013

William N.

It went very well. I am very pleased with Ararat's services and will use them again.

Description of Work
Provider cleaned oriental rugs off site, and cleaned my wall to wall in my house. They are such nice people, a nice family business, that knows their stuff.

Category carpet cleaners, carpet installation, flooring contractor, hardwood floor

10/16/2013

Laura C.

We had a fantastic experience with Ararat from our first contact by phone to our installation and final payment. We visited the showroom in Medford and owners Bill and Vicki spent nearly an hour helping us to select carpet and padding - they made suggestions based on our desire to have exceedingly soft and durable carpet and showed us a full range of options (and even figured out costs for us ahead of time to guide our decision - We decided that we would remove our old carpet to save a bit of expense, but didn't want to skimp on product). When we had it narrowed down they sent us home with the store display carpet samples to make a final decision at home! Bill came out a few days later to take measurements and get a down payment. Our carpet arrived two weeks later and we set up an installation appointment right away. The man that installed our carpet was friendly and conscientious. He arrived on time and installed the carpet in less than an hour and it looks great! The only hiccup in the process was related to means of payment - we looked for companies that accept credit cards (Ararat does!) But when Bill came out to measure and pick up the down payment he requested a check and I didn't even hesitate (it was first thing in the morning!). We called to let him know that we would pay the balance by credit card. Even though paying by credit card adds an expense on their end, they we happy to oblige despite the fact that our negotiated price assumed payment by check. Bill was a gentleman and did what was right by us. I recommend making it clear up front how you intend to pay to make it easier. Overall a great experience. We will definitely be headed back to Ararat for future carpet (and flooring) needs. They are a nice family business that cares about their customers and it shows.

Description of Work
Ararat installed carpet in our den.

10/12/2013

Kimberly L.

We love the fact that Bill came to our condo on a Saturday at 7:30 am. We are early birds and like to get things done first thing in the morning. Bill was very professional and very nice and explained what he was going to do and why he was going to do it. The price was reasonable and was within the range he gave me over the phone. We will use this company in the future for all of our flooring needs.

Description of Work
Our carpet had been pulled away from the walls due to a water issue, and Bill came out and repaired it, putting it back to it's original state

10/01/2013

N P.

Bill is a master of his craft. He takes his business very seriously and after speaking to him for a while, because I had a lot of questions, it is clear this man has many years of experience and takes pride in his work. He is courteous, clean, meticulous, fair and most of all, honest. On the two occasions when he arrived for our scheduled appointments, he arrived right on time and got right to work. I cannot say enough about his integrity and quality of work, which is superb. He saved us thousands of dollars. I only wish he did more than flooring, because I'd hire him for all of my other jobs too. The final test was my wife's impression of the work...and the result is me writing this review. She asked me, almost daily, if I had written the review yet because he really deserves credit for doing such a great job. We highly recommend Ararat Carpets.

Description of Work
Replaced carpet padding and tack strip and placed carpet back into proper position. It was a horrible mess after our living room had water seepage after two major storms. He made recommendations on how to properly dry our carpet and cement flooring which worked perfectly and saved our high quality carpet from being replaced.

09/17/2013

Alexandr N.

Bill and his team did a very good job, they were flexible on installation timing and very professional on installing floors. Also they have fixed few issues that came up after installation thus customer service is outstanding. Few notes: carped padding options were never offered and for some reason never popped up in a discussion and the most basic padding was installed by default while I would have gladly spend some more money on a thicker and more comfortable padding.

Description of Work
Install new flooring throughout the three-bedroom house: Tile in kitchen, hardwood in living room; carpeting in all other areas.

Category carpet installation, ceramic tile, hardwood floor

09/16/2013

stanley K.

Two of Ararat's crew members, namely, Mike and Joe, came right at the appointed time. Mike first asked what exactly it was I wanted done, and what areas of concern I had, such as, certain areas with stains, on the carpets, or high traffic areas, and how I wanted the carpet runner laid. To sum it all up, I would like to say that, the jobs were professionally done, they took great care with my furniture, and they were put back exactly where they were before. The carpets dried, nicely, in about 24 hrs. And, the price after the jobs were finished, came in exactly as quoted to me when I ordered the service. In case I forget to mention It, they did the best carpet cleaning job I ever had. Thanks a lot guys

Description of Work
installed a carpet runner and padding in a hallway of my house, and cleaned the carpets in my living room, dining room, and family room. approx. 600 sq. ft.

Category carpet cleaners, carpet installation

08/16/2013

Lorita B.

First, they came to our home at 7:30am one morning because that was the only time we could meet with them before we left to visit family, which was a great help. They rolled up the old carpet and pad and carried them down to our basement for us. Then they laid the new carpet and did an excellent job of laying down the new and cleaning up and gave us the small pieces left of carpeting that they didn't use so we could use it in our basement.

Description of Work
They took out old carpet and laid new carpet down in four bedrooms and a hallway.

07/24/2013

Victor P.

We had moved small stuff off the floors to be cleaned before they came. They moved heavier items, got the bed skirts up and out of the way as well as the curtains. Went under pieces on legs that were too heavy to move and around our hutch and tv and sterio cabinet. Protection was put under the legs of what went back on the rugs with spacers under the legs of the heavier tables etc for evaporation of dampness. They were done in about 2.5 hours leaving a nice smelling house and a much cleaner carpet.

Description of Work
Carpet Cleaning Two bedrooms, hall, family room, dining room and living room.