Grounds Keeper Inc

Founded 1973 • With Angi since September 2007

798 Hwy 34

Matawan, NJ 07747

Grounds Keeper...Creating Indoor Lifestyles Outside. We begin our 43rd year in business offering residential landscape artistry within naturalistic outdoor living spaces from conception to completion. Live beautifully outdoors within an outdoor living space affording your family a sense of being on vacation without ever leaving the cozy confines of your very own backyard retreat. A "staycation" if you will. After the initial on-site consultation ($100 to Angie's List members, but valued at $150) together the next step in our award winning firm's from design to build process, which is also fee based, is for our staff Landscape Architect to develop a budgeted Master Plan design of your property. You would then have the option towards a phased installation. Design fees paid to our Landscape Architect are then credited back proportionately with the install of the phased Master Plan design. Designs will focus on a naturalistic four season garden display with the attraction of wildlife including birds and butterflies. Make all the seasons a time of beauty and tranquility and nature a part of your home and your life style! Together let's create the outdoor garden room of your dreams! I'll personally offer you a private tour of our landscape designer showroom and corporate home office both conveniently located in Matawan. Among other top honors, our team is proud to say we won Best In Show at the New Jersey Flower & Garden Show for 10 consecutive years from 2005 to 2014. Being only recently back working with Angie's List clients, I thank you in advance for your consideration. Jay Eriv...Landscape Designer, Founder and President....

09/14/2017

Lenore J.

I told Jay from Groundskeeper that I'd like a little rock garden in front of my home. He created a beautiful rock garden (covering the entire front of my property) and sculpted me a new back yard complete with new grass, a lovely assortment of trees and shrubs and flowers all of which are butterfly and bird friendly. Thank you for the incredible job and for giving me a place to relax and enjoy my morning coffee!

Description of Work
After Super Storm Sandy, not just houses were destroyed, but all of the landscape surrounding those homes, as well.

Category landscaping, lawn service, pavers, gravel, tree service, hardscaping

08/02/2017

Michelle S.

02/05/2017

Lynda S.

Although we did not hire Grounds Keeper Inc for the driveway installation the master plan was spot on and beautifully done. We paid for the master plan and were very satisfied with the final design and price. We did not hire Grounds Keeper Inc to install and implement the plan because the final quote was very high

Description of Work
I hired Jay and his team to design a driveway and prepare a master plan for the landscape

Category landscaping, driveway pavers

01/31/2017

Sandra C.

The work they did was truly artistic. The flowers that bloom in such a way that we can enjoy them all year long. The Groundskeeper is a unique company offering unsurpassed quality & expertise. Attentive and easy to work with! They even care for what they planted! An amazing team!!!

Description of Work
Landscape design & implementation

Category landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping

05/07/2014

THOMAS B.

06/17/2013

david P.

Company spends time making sure that the plans fit customers interests. Crews are very experienced and work diligently.

Description of Work
Hardscape improvement to property.

04/23/2012

Serena S.

see above

Description of Work
Met with contractor & he does not give free estimates. We already had a plan and were looking to get another estimate but I found him to be extremely condescending & pompous. I don't need the attitude & frankly it turned us off so much that we didn;t even want to pursue his services any further.

Category landscaping, lawn service

01/15/2012

Marilyn S.

For the most part it went well. However, it required intervention from us on more than one occasion when workers were going off track, installing bambo in wrong place, putting trees etc in wrong place, etc. My biggest complaint is the owner continuously tried to up-sell from the work that was agreed upon for the original project. For example, we had agreed on a small circular pond in the front yard; he convinced us to go much bigger at a much higher price. I now believe it is too big for the space and I would have been much happier with the smaller pond and the smaller price. I had no previous experience in landscaping and relied on his expertise. I feel I was taken advantage of. Overall, with the several modifications for larger treatments suggested by the owner, the project ended up costing about $20,000 more than we originally budgeted for. If cost were no object, I believe most clients would be happy with the work. I strongly recommend that is important to nail down a budget and stick to it once the agreement has been made. I ended up charging the enhanced work on credit cards which I am still paying off a year later.

Description of Work
Developed a landscape plan for 1/2 acre property, built a pond and landscaped a portion of the front yard, installed lighting over pond,, installed bamboo planting as a screen in backyard, subcontracted installation of a Belgian block/ gravel driveway in front yard..

04/16/2011

Leeann T.

Included above.

Description of Work
Here is the referal I sent to Jay and his landscape architect who did the drawing/plan. I am unsure where one begins. As you are aware, I used the two of you to design and carry out my backyard project about 5 or 6 years ago. The result was outstanding. When I decided to do my front yard, I looked at other options. I had 3 or 4 people come in to give me estimates to do various things. In the end, I came back to the both of you for a one stop shopping experience. Everything starts with a great design. Craig, you put together two fantastic options. My project started with replacing a walkway and some landscaping tweaks. But you helped me take it to a whole new level with a new walkway, two natural stone steps, an amazing new bluestone stoop, 8 new trees, endless plantings and groundcover and landscape lighting. The first time I saw the result my jaw almost hit the ground. I was so thrilled and proud of the result. I could not believe the vision that you had. I could only see two dimensional in the plan, but the two of you could see three dimensional. I challenged many things but followed your lead on everything and boy am I glad I did. I find myself still looking out of the window and waiting till spring till everything blooms. The two of you exceeded my expectations. One of the things I love most about you Jay is the respect you give to one's property. Secondly, your passion rubs off on your clients and you gave me the faith to take things well beyond what I originally planned. You made me want to do business with you and to give you a bigger project. Third, you always go above and beyond to exceed my expectations. I know I can be difficult and always have lots of questions. You always make me feel at ease after discussing my concerns. Fourth, the uniqueness of your style gives me something that no one else in the neighborhood has. Lastly, I really feel you go out of your way to make any issues that arise go away quickly. Your attention to detail is second to none. I am so thankful to have used you for both projects. I am extremely lucky to have found you. I should also mention that on both projects I feel like I got a great value. I did the front walkway the first time on a budget and I got what I paid for. Which means, I had to do it again. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. My property is always open to you, whether I am at home or not, to show any of your prospective clients the incredible work that you do. Thank you so much, I am beyond pleased with the result and I am thankful to have found both of your services. Pat Wayside, NJ

01/28/2011

Neil O.

We asked them to come over to review our comprehensive Landscaping needs. The experience was really creepy! Their "$200 Free Consultation" consisted of a walk around our property suggesting the addition of outdoor sound systems (2 speakers for "only $1,500"), an illuminated Fishpond, Moonscape lighting and "light and shadow" shading options. They seemed to ignore our concerns about replacing crumbling RR ties, controlling water erosion, redirecting water flows that already caused serious basement damage and developing a comprehensive plan to install deer resistant ground cover options to replace the World War I shaded desert we currently have. When we asked for a quote, they indicated that they could develop a "Comprehensive Master Plan" for $1,800 that they would use to develop pricing for us! They seemed to be in an unrelated universe when it came to meeting our needs. We're sure they could do a fine job for Bill Gates or Donald Trump, but if you're not planning to do a major redesign of Versailles, we wouldn't recommend using them.

Description of Work
None, for the reasons outlined below.

Category hardscaping

10/02/2010

Neil O.

Description of Work
An initial consultation and review of our comprehensive Landscaping needs.

11/23/2009

PHYLLIS Z.

They were very good. I haven't done anything yet, because I can't afford them right now. I am thinking about it for next year. I thought they were very good. They came promptly, sent the estimate, and called back a few times to see if I had any questions. They were polite. I said I would get back to them next year.

Description of Work
They gave me an estimate for landscaping.

06/18/2009

Jim P.

Please see above.

Description of Work
Landscaped one half of our front lawn area; contracted out the laying of a new brick walkway from the street and from the driveway. Also, replaced the front porch floor with bluestone. Removed the then existing lawn and replaced it with artistically placed boulders, mulch, grasses, plantings and some small trees and bushes. We waited for this spring to see if the plants all weathered the winter and found that one magnolia tree had not made it. We contacted Jay a few times and waited a bit for him to see his way clear to replace it. True to his word, he did and it looks good. He also contracted out some subtle lighting in the tall trees; my husband noticed a problem with the electrical box when one of the lights did not operate correctly. Again, we contacted Jay and eventually he had a gentleman come who replaced the box for the problem unit. My neighbors were skeptical when my husband said he was contacting Jay because they doubted that the landscaper would hold to his promise; happy to say they were wrong. He did follow through and the front yard looks lovely. The waiting we did paid off and Jay and his company came through - especially, I must note, at their busiest time of the year. It is obvious that Jay and his colleague Craig, who laid out the serpentine shape of the walkway, know their business and love what they do. They have ability and it shows in the quality work they do.

Category landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping

09/06/2007

CORINNE R.

I liked this landscaper. I wanted easy to maintain beds. They were able to accomplish that task, so now I have an area that looks great and is maintenance free. They also do ponds and water falls if people like that. I think quite highly of them.

Description of Work
This landscaper put in a rather large flower bed after entirely ripping out what the previous company had put in that area, which I really hated.

Kingdom Electric

We are a full service electrical company.we service residential and commercial. We cater to the needs of homeowners.

Offers by Kingdom Electric on Angi
    Stone and Patio Professionals LLC

We are a local and family owned business. Stone and Patio Professionals LLC, which has been in business for over 20 years. Offering financing through LightStream and GreenSky to simplify your project from start to finish. Stone & Patio were formed to give a special focus on residential services. Stone & Patio Pros specializes in Fiberglass Pools, paver patios, driveways, walkways, retaining walls, outdoor living, and stone veneer finishes. Stone & Patio Pros is a family owned masonry company headquartered in Central New Jersey and services Monmouth, Ocean, Middlesex, Burlington, Mercer, Somerset, Union, and surrounding counties with craftsmanship and modern masonry techniques, delivering the highest quality possible. Go ahead and compare. We know you have a lot of choices when it comes to contractors and we want you to be confident in your choice when choosing Stone and Patio. Ask us about our spring specials! We are currently giving away a free fire pit build and installation for any new paver patio projects of $12,000 or more.

Classical Pavers

Classical Pavers serves both New Jersey and New York in the Tri-state area. We are masonry contractor company that specializes in the installation of outdoor living areas including paver driveways, walkways, patios, steps, stoops, retaining walls, culture stone, and fire pits. We are fully insured.

Offers by Classical Pavers on Angi
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available

Hardscapes, Walkways, Patios, Landscapes, Lighting, Outdoor Kitchens, Ponds, Pools, Streams & Waterfalls, Water Features.

Lawn Cutting & Applications.