Alpha Moving and Storage

Founded 1994 • With Angi since January 2006

4.4

234 16th St 2nd Floor

Jersey City, NJ 07310

Alpha Moving & Storage is an award winning, fully licensed and insured New Jersey moving company. We are providing moving and storage services within New York, New Jersey and to anywhere in the country or around the globe. Our experienced moving team is proud of our proven success of attending to

09/15/2021

Nathan T.

I contracted Alpha Movers in August 2021 to move me from NY to WA. The cost was at the high end of the quotes; however, they have excellent reviews and a list of compelling clients. The short version of this move is that after five days of unpacking, I have the following issues: 1 - exceeding 45,000$ in damages. 2 - they never moved my belonging inside my house, didn't set up my furniture, except one bed, and then left in a hurry because they had another job. 3 - refused to allow me to keep moving blankets that I bought and left expensive furniture unprotected and exposed 4 - have been unresponsive as to make good on their contract terms In general, I understand that things break, things get lost, moves are rarely perfect. However, what transpired is at a different level of malpractice and negligence. One piece of furniture has moved over eight times without a scratch. It is now in multiple parts. I just had it refinished and was so pleased with how it looked. I fear it is ruined. I'm now trying to work out insurance and have hired a lawyer to handle the breach of contract. My recommendation is to pass on Alpha Movers, but if you have to use them, observe them keenly and do not let them take advantage of you by ruining your possessions. I'm sure they will have canned answers to all of this, but what I asked for was simple: make good on your contract and do the honorable thing here. Admit you made mistakes and be honorable. Do the right thing. I realize that honor is rare in our current time, but that shouldn't cause people to demand it from others. If we all refuse to allow ourselves to be grifted, maybe it would stop. Just maybe.

Description of Work
Move from NY to WA

10/07/2020

Daniela M.

My experience was awful and I do not recommend Alpha Moving to anyone. The chief of the crew was all the time very rude, and since the beginning has been trying to make additional money on us. He arrived telling that he had parked the truck in a forbidden place and we would have to pay all the fines and tickets (however, the contract set forth that all the tickets were Alpha Moving liability), that if the moving was late, he would charge us more, and by the end of the day we had a very hard time with him. We hired the crew to pack our kitchen stuff. They only packed one box and such box has disappeared. We have been trying almost 3 months to recover the box or have an insurance cover. It is our worst experience ever with a service provider in US

Description of Work
Moving from Manhattan to Jersey City

11/08/2019

Gayle D.

While most moving companies only want to make some profit but Alpha Moving and Storage is one of the very few companies who care more about their customers than their balance sheet. Their quote was unbeatable, the movers were hard working and the move went absolutely perfectly. The foreman directed his men so well and they carried my big furniture so efficiently. I asked the crew to be extra careful with my breakables and they were just that. Even the final fill was fair. I am just blown away by this company since I have never had this good of a moving experience.

Description of Work
2 bedroom apartment move

03/31/2019

MANDAR D.

The move went very well. The staff was punctual, adjusting and hardworking. Even the initial estimate that was given was surprisingly very accurate. Overall very happy with their service and would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
House move

03/14/2019

Jeff W.

Quote was very professional and informative Team that packed up with friendly efficient and timely Team that was delivered could have kept me informed a little better on arrival time as window provided was quite wide (really all day) but it was reasonable Team that unloaded was efficient, cooperative, communicative, and worked hard. Price was quite competitive. I highly recommend using a local service that handles a lot of cross country moves such as Alpha as you really dont know what you are getting with many nationwide services. Alpha overall was great and I would use them again.

Description of Work
Moved furniture from Madison NJ to Delafield WI

01/24/2018

sheila K.

Alpha came to our rescue after we found that the mover we had contracted with was a broker. They contracted our move to an awful company. I called Alpha on Tuesday morning, they came to give us a proposal in the afternoon, and arrived promptly on Wednesday morning. I can’t say enough about the respectfulness of the crew, the professionalism, the care of our possessions, and the attention to detail that this crew, headed by Thomas exhibited. I would highly recommend them to anyone in New Jersey needing a moving company locally, out of state as in our case or internationally. I hope if we ever need a mover again that I find that they’ve expanded into Maryland. They were absolutely the BEST!

Description of Work
Interstate Moving

10/30/2017

Beth P.

Could not have asked for a better crew - sent 3 guys and had the job done in less than 4 hours. Very neat, professional, went over everything with me. It was a horribly rainy day and they covered and well protected everything. Highly recommend Alpha. Though not planning to move soon I will use again.

Description of Work
Moved locally from a small 1 BR apt and the job wasn't all that large. I boxed up everything and hired movers primarily for furniture and the boxes

09/13/2017

Heather W.

It was excellent. Wonderful people and I would go back to.

Description of Work
Moving from New Jersey to Florida

05/30/2017

Vanessa V.

It was amazing. The move was 10 days before Christmas so as you can imagine we were stressed but the movers were so professional & made the day so much easier. I really can't say enough how hard they worked! I would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Moving apartments

02/27/2017

Sybil N.

The movers were efficient and professional.

Description of Work
Moved contents from old apartment to new apartment, as well as picked up items from storage to be moved into new apartment.

09/26/2016

Donna Z.

Awesome folks. Careful and helpful.

Description of Work
Furniture packing and moving.

09/09/2016

Scott E.

This is only for a quote. I called for a quote for a one bedroom apartment in Jersey City to another apartment in Jersey City. I called Alpha because they are in the same city. While the quote was happening, the person who came to do the quote kept saying things that made me want to find another quote, when I wasn't planning on it. Adding fees for every television and mirror, saying he wouldn't charge for tape after the quote was given, but the number didn't budge. He said it may go over the quote, but when I asked if there was a scenario where it could be less, he seemed to scoff, anther reason I went with another quote. The end quote was $995. I found another place that did the job for $650. Frank Richter Moving is who I went with, and I waited until the work was complete to see if there was a reason for the huge difference. But the move went extremely well and Im glad I went with my instincts to get another quote. Price shop and get various quotes before deciding on this company.

Description of Work
Moving one bedroom apt, JC to JC

08/03/2016

Michael L.

The move went about as smooth as a move could go! We were very happy with Alpha movers and would highly recommend them. We moved on June 29th, this is a bit delayed due to all the unpacking we've been doing. There was a bit of miscommunication when we initially hired this company. I originally wanted them to move us out and store our stuff overnight and deliver the next day. When they called the day before the move to confirm, I was informed a delivery on the next day was not possible. This was most likely due, as I said, as a miscommunication between myself and the booking agent I spoke with, whose name I have forgotten. When I spoke with Heather about this, she did everything she could to try to fix the problem. She was great about it and very helpful. Luckily, www order it out to move our stuff in on the same day as the move out, so it turned out ok. Like I said, Heather was great and I thank her for all her help. As for the actual move, Eddie and his crew were AWESOME! They took care with everything we owned. They were punctual, professional and moved efficiently to get the job done within the estimated time frame. Could not have asked for a better crew to move everything we owned. When they were done in the house, they went over to our storage unit and packed all that stuff as carefully and as quickly as I could have asked for. The move into the new house went equally as smooth with equal care and professionalism. Eddie even took the time to tighten up our table soccer set and remove a shelf for us to fit our tv (which he put the stand on for us) better! And, he even had time to play a little table soccer with my son who was otherwise bored while all this was going on. I hope there is no need for a while, but if I ever needed a moving company again, I would definitely use them again!

Description of Work
Moved us from one house and a storage unit to our new home

07/19/2016

Tawatha A.

I would absolutely use them in the future. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
I did use Alpha Moving and Storage.

06/30/2016

Yogesh P.

When the movers came the foreman was good. He asked me whats going and whats staying and they began working. I was actually impressed at first. I got thrown off guard a little when we got to the new house and the first thing he hands me is the final bill on which he showed me charges I didn't know I was going to be charged. I quickly called my husband to go over the bill with them and hopped on the phone with Alpha Movers office. The lady I spoke to was kind and took those chargers off the bill. They were rushing at this point to get things into the house and be done. As they were moving things inside towards the end I noticed them using my husbands two hand trucks (which they ended up breaking) As they were moving in the furniture they scratched alot more than just a few corners of newly painted walls. The scratches are deep that I've had to call my contractor back in to touch up because I wasn't able to just touch up the paint. They left and by now I'm irritated and very very disappointed. The next day I started to unpack and noticed that furniture was scratched and scuffed up. One whole box of wine glasses was broken, one lamp was broken and there is a huge scratch on my husbands brand me office desk (we bought it 3 weeks before out move) I took pictures of some things and immediately called the contact that was dealing with my move. She has yet to reply to my voicemails. I not one to usually write bad reviews but these items were expensive and some I cannot replace. I just wish I had they were move careful and responsive. I had made sure to wrap and label boxes with Fragile stickers and be careful signs. I was happy at first but will not be using them again.

Description of Work
I used Alpha Movers for my move from an apartment to my new house. I booked with them because the reviews were good. It was a two bed 2 bath move and I had everything packed, labeled and stacked in each room. My husband even went as far as wrapping the TV and Mirrors.

10/19/2015

Sheila and Tom C.

Ultimately we were very pleased. Alpha did exactly what they promised. Their crews at both locations (pick up and delivery) were efficient and professional. We certainly recommend them and we intend to use them again when we move ourselves in the near future.

Description of Work
Shipped my daughters furniture and personal material from Stamford Connecticut to her new apartment in Jacksonville Florida

07/18/2015

Marianna M.

I recently moved from NY to CA and was completely stressed out about finding a mover. Among other companies, Alpha came to give me a quote and Zoly was the most professional and caring. Not only was the cost reasonable, but they made me feel very comfortable with a Binding price and that the price wasn?t going to change. In short, the sales team was very responsive, answered all my questions and concerns. The drivers were efficient and all my items arrived in CA in the same condition as they were on the day of my pick up. It was a great experience and I will recommend this company to anybody especially if you are looking for a real professional mover.

Description of Work
pack and move me from home to home

07/18/2015

Marianna M.

Moving to FL has been extremely stressful for me and I?ve been overwhelmed for months trying to figure out when was a good time to move my items. A girlfriend of mine at my job gave me the information for Alpha Moving and I did a little research. Some reviews online had me a little worried but being that my friend used them and spoke so highly of this company I figured ?why not?. I called in to receive a quote but they insisted on having someone come out and give me an in home estimate. I was a little concerned about my breakables but the estimator (John) was so nice and reassuring. Although the price was a bit more than I expected, it was all worth it. The moving crew came 15 minutes early and were very efficient and careful. They made me feel very comfortable throughout the entire move. My belongings arrived in FL 2 days earlier than anticipated and glad to say no damages. Kudos to you guys!! I had to write this review as a thank you for the great service I?ve received. Bottom line is: They were on time, very professional, and careful with my possessions. Nothing beats that in my book.

Description of Work
fully packed my belongings and brought them from New York to Florida in little to no time.

04/30/2015

Ken L.

The company was very courteous, helpful, and professional all the way. Their estimate was competitive, and they suggested prepacking as much as possible to further save on time and materials, as well as other tips to help speed the move. The entire move was completed within a single business day, and the four gentlemen handling the move were speedy, ingenious (they found ways to quickly and carefully move large numbers of heavy book boxes out of a basement storage room and into another basement storage room), and very efficient. The final move was complete several hours faster, and several hundred dollars less than the initial estimate.

Description of Work
Move contents of a heavily furnished three-bedroom home from Hudson County to Bergen County.

11/28/2014

Courtney B.

These movers were excellent and I would highly recommend. The moving staff were courteous and on time- for both the pick-up and the out-of-state delivery. Flawless experience.

Description of Work
The movers were wonderful. No damage to any furniture. All items were picked up (and delivered) without any issues. They packed everything - for a 3rd floor walk-up.

11/07/2014

Chris B.

Alpha came and gave us an estimate of our fairly large one bedroom apartment in Jersey City. The initial estimate was quite high. After calling a few times I was able to have it lowered several hundred dollars. A few weeks later I called to confirm the price we agreed upon and they had no idea what I was talking about. Tip # 1 - Have them send you a confirmation of your conversation ASAP via email. We were only talking about $125 but the fact they could not meet half way even after a verbal agreement really left a bad taste. One of their mottos is "integrity". Unfortunately, I feel this company lacks it. Against my better judgement I decided to use the company anyway. The movers arrived the day of the move at the agreed upon time and immediately got to work. The foreman was efficient and polite. However, as one of the other reviewers mentioned, he did pull me aside to discuss tip and actually gave me "averages". I was going to tip them before but the fact he mentioned it to me was in bad taste. However, in his defense I assume some people think it is included in the quote. As I mentioned the team was very efficient and packed everything very well. So well that nothing was broken at all during the long move. I was impressed with this as we had a lot of breakable items. After everything was out of the apartment, we went back up to finish paperwork with the foreman. Since it was a quote I was expecting a few hundred dollar difference. It appears the estimate was severely under-billed and the final bill was 1,250 more than the quote. Tip # 2 - Get multiple quotes from at least 4 or 5 movers. But beware - I feel this company under-quoted so they could get your business just to ding you after they have your stuff. NO INTEGRITY! How does the estimator not include the biggest piece of furniture we have (a large dresser)? Since it was their error, they "graciously" covered the cost of adding the dresser, but they still ended up charging us $800 more at the end. As you are signing off on all the paperwork, they ask if you would use them again or refer them. Of course, you are going to say "Yes" because they still have all your stuff! At the end of the day, I felt I had been taken advantage of, which is not how you want to feel when you do business with a firm and spend a large amount of money. Fast forward to the delivery in SC. The guys who delivered in SC were great.They called me a day before and were in constant communication with me. They arrived on time and the services were as promised. Tip was mentioned again, however. In closing, the packing and quality of the work were great. Absolutely no complaints. However, the way the company reneged on a verbal agreement and the deceitful way they overcharged us would make me second guess using this company again.

Description of Work
Moved from New Jersey to South Carolina using their full packing service.

Category moving companies

We regret that any one of our customers feel anything but fully satisfied with our service. We provide every customer with an in home visual estimate that is based on exactly what the customer informs us is going to be relocated. Every customer receives a copy of the exact inventory to be moved and unfortunately, when items are added, the price for transportation will increase. In fact, we provide a Binding Price that will not change unless additional items are added. Alpha Moving & Storage is an award winning moving company and pride ourselves on our commitment to our customers and stellar reputation in the industry.

10/17/2014

Seth B.

The one BIG negative we had with the entire 'odyssey' was that the estimator who had gauged the cost of our 'move' as one number ($13,800 approx.) had given a 'verbal' guarantee on the written'contract that it would be the maximum we would have to spent on our move and Alpha (AFTER the truck was loaded), did not live up to 'said' verbal agreement. In late August we phoned Heather (the coordinator) at Alpha (but spoke with another woman in her office) to inform them of the addition of a queen sized mattress and were informed that it was alright and that nothing further was needed. On Sunday Sept 7th, the movers packed up our home and then informed us that we had approx $800. more belongings than had been estimated. The only added addition was the mattress and shouldn't have had any bearing on the matter (or we should have been informed by Alpha) as we had called the company beforehand (in August) and had the 'verbal' guarantee from the estimator. Long story short, we came to a 'meeting of the minds' with Alpha and split the difference. We were under considerable stress (like all others moving their belongings from one section of the country to another) and it appears that moving companies are in a VERY cutthroat business. My only advise to anyone getting an estimate from ANY mover is to be aware that the written contract is not worth the paper it's written on if there is any discrepancy between the estimate on the number of items to be moved and the ACTUAL calculation by the crew on the day of pick-up. Walk with the estimator and take pictures of your items to be moved and forget any personal guarantees.... 'Caveat emptor'

Description of Work
Moving our belongings from Convent Station New Jersey to Round Rock Texas.

Category moving companies

Alpha Moving & Storage is committed to excellence and strive for full satisfaction with our service. Our Binding price is guaranteed and is based on an in home Visual estimator taking accurate inventory of the items to be moved. We leave every customer with a copy of the inventory to review and assure its accuracy. Unfortunately, when a customer decides to add items to the inventory on the day of the pick up, the price for transportation will increase. Alpha Moving & Storage has a stellar reputation in the industry and will continue to work on satisfying every customer.

08/11/2014

LEONHARD K.

Price was 10% below estimates for both moves and estimator reduced the travel time and minimum hours to make this arrangement fit our needs. Dispatcher was abrupt and at first insisted on cash payment when I had gotten approval from estimator to use Amex Credit Card. Crew was very efficient and experienced, right on time to match very tight elevator reservations. Crew, lead man and estimator were definitely 5 stars all around, dispatcher drug them down in ratings.

Description of Work
Two separate moves one week apart. One moving boxes and bedroom furniture 2 miles from storage and the second moving rented plastic bins and furniture 5 blocks from a one bedroom apartment to a larger 2 bedroom apartment.

08/07/2014

EandC K.

Had Alpha bid on my move within NJ (15 mile move). Estimator showed up on time and was friendly and professional. However, their estimate was $500-$1000 more than the other 3 estimates I had received. Thats when things got downright weird. Their customer service called to follow up and see how their bid was. I told them that it was very high as well as how it differed from the other three estimates. They estimated 4 people @ 11 hours, while the other three estimated 5 people @ 8 hours, as well as breaking up the packing and the moving to two days. The Alpha rep then turned rude and began to lecture me. She claimed that it was illegal for the other movers to use 5 people b/c they could not put 5 guys on the same truck. This is categorically untrue and subsequent companies showed me the trucks they use when they have 5 people. She then tried to convince me that packing on one day and moving on a 2nd day was a scam to charge more, even though Alpha was the highest of 5 bids. When I said that their estimate was the "outlier" she got even more defensive, forcing me to explain that this was a statistical term used to explain why one point is different from others, not a judgement being cast upon them. In short, she could not have been any less pleasant and certainly lost any chance of earning my business. Yelling at a potential customer is a pretty dumb business strategy. When she offered to come back with a lower estimate, I said that wouldn't be necessary. With so many choices of well rated, professional moving services, I certainly don't need to work with one that tried to convince me that I'm dumb for considering other choices.

Description of Work
Estimate for local move

07/07/2014

Tom I.

It was very good and they're very honest. They did what they said they would do and they're very courteous.

Description of Work

Category moving companies, storage units