We accept remote payment

JAMES KARR PIANO

Founded 1980 • With Angi since October 2008

P.O. Box 195

Hawthorne, NJ 07506

Over 38 years experience. Piano tuning (aural/by ear) $160.00-200.00 (minor repairs/ adjustments may be included, others extra), repair & restoration services for all makes & models specializing in Steinway.Serving Northern NJ.Testimonials on website jameskarrpiano.com . Restoration referrals upon

12/08/2020

Diana B.

The tuning was meticulously done. I would recommend James.

Description of Work
Tuning and adjusting

Category piano tuning

Thank you for your review! Hope your return to the piano is successful. I look forward to our next visit.

09/25/2020

Mary A.

Jamie was a pleasure to work with and I would highly recommend him to others! He was prompt and reliable in all of his communications, from start to finish. His professionalism and depth of knowledge about piano tuning and pianos, in general was outstanding. He worked efficiently while in our home and the piano sounded amazing when he was done. We're looking forward to working with him regularly and appreciate that he'll let us know when our next tuning is needed.

Description of Work
Piano tuning

Category piano tuning

[Member Name Removed], thank you so much for such a glowing review! I so appreciate the opportunity to "Make your piano sing" again. It was indeed a pleasure meeting you and your son and look forward to our next appointment. Until then, best wishes!

06/19/2020

Joyce W.

Mr. Karr was excellent! He arrived on time(with a mask), worked on the piano for over an hour. After 30 years of inactivity, the piano sounds like a new one. Very professional service. I will use him again and recommend him to anyone.

Description of Work
piano tuning

Category piano tuning

Thank you, [Member Name Removed]! I'm very glad to have helped you in your quest to re-learn the piano and it was a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to keeping it in shape as you progress. Keep up the good work!

06/05/2019

Eric C.

James did a very extensive and thorough job cleaning out the beads that my kids had spilled onto and underneath the piano keys and he tuned the piano (which hadn't been done in over 20years!). Very friendly, did a great job and even referred us to a piano teacher for our kids!

Description of Work
Piano Tuning and Removal of Beads from Between Keys!

Category piano tuning, musical instrument repair

[Member Name Removed], thank you for your excellent review! It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. I'll send you a text-minder for the next service (hopefully beadless!)... Best wishes on the lessons!

11/04/2018

Richard L.

Perfect. James located the problem with the keyboard adjustment and repaired it

Description of Work
piano tuning and repair

Category piano tuning

Thank you so much for your follow up review of my service! It's my pleasure to remedy issues that make people love their piano(again)! Sorry about having to reschedule the first appointment...:/ See you next year!

04/29/2018

Mikhail L.

Karl done professional job with tuning of our grand piano. He responded on our request for additional adjustments

Description of Work
Piano Tuning

Category piano tuning

Thank you, Mr [Member Name Removed] for your positive review of my service! It was a pleasure to work with you and to make your wife happy with her piano again. I look forward to our next visit!

12/20/2017

Kristine K.

James did a great job. Both pianos sound great.

Description of Work
James tuned both of my pianos and even fixed a long standing squeak that I couldn't fix.

Category piano tuning

Hi [Member Name Removed]! Glad that you liked the results. I look forward to seeing you next year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

11/13/2017

Lorrie S.

James is an amazing piano technician. He is able to tune a piano perfectly. If you have a piano tuner that completes their job in 45 minutes, he/she does is not doing a complete job. James makes sure that he tests every interval and makes the appropriate adjustments. He is very professional and communicates well over phone or text. He is reliable and prompt.I highly recommend James to give your piano the perfect pitch.

Description of Work
Piano tuning

Category piano tuning

Wow! Thank you so much for your very gracious review! I always try to bring my "A" Game to every client's piano. Looking forward to many years of taking care of yours! Best Regards!

05/18/2017

Theresa L.

Extremely happy with services!! Our piano sounds brand new!! James is very professional and was awesome to work with!

Description of Work
Piano tuning

Category piano tuning

[Member Name Removed], thank you so much for your awesome review! I was glad to have brought the piano up to pitch so your daughter, [Member Name Removed], could use it in her professional capacity in musical theater. I wish her great success and look forward to keeping it maintained for her. Best wishes!

03/01/2017

CLOSED C.

We are very happy with is excellence and his precision. He does not rush the job. He works the keys and wrench until the complete piano is in tune. He'll spend a good hour and a half getting it right. We found him on Angie's List and we are not letting him go.

Description of Work
In April of 2016 we had James tune our grand piano, which had not been tuned in over a decade. He was excellent. Today, March 1, 2017, we had James back for a tuning and pedal adjustment. During the ensuing 11 months the piano James tuned last year was just a bit off. That is an amazing testament to the great job he did getting it in shape last year.

Category piano tuning

Wow! Many thanks for your stellar review and very kind words. It's a pleasure to work for such nice and appreciative people who understand excellence. Thanks for not letting me go😄! Love your dog, too!

02/16/2017

Erin M.

Mr. Karr arrived on time, did the tuning in the time he had stated and I intend to use him on a regular basis.

Description of Work
I inherited a piano from a relative that hadn't been tuned for a very long time. Mr. Karr came over and brought the piano back to life. It plays beautifully now.

Category piano tuning

Thank you, [Member Name Removed]! It was a pleasure meeting you and taking care of your piano needs. I look forward to keeping your piano "singing"! Best wishes on your daughter's lessons!

12/21/2016

Diane K.

I was reluctant to get rid of the old piano, as it was in a beautiful, carved piece of furniture. However, the new one looks very nice in my living room and makes the room look larger. There have been some problems with the keys sticking, but Jamie has promptly responded to my calls and come to fix them. He was at my home last night and will return after the holidays to do some more work on the piano.

Description of Work
I first called Jamie, based on the reviews he has received, to tune an antique Emerson upright piano. The piano hadn't been tuned in over 10 years, and besides being out of tune, the keys were sticking. He arrived on time, and proceeded to use a procedure that he believed would fix the keys. When he sat down to tune, he found that the problem was more complex. He would have to removed the piano insides, and work on them in his shop. It was a rather expensive procedure and he was afraid that after it was done, they might quickly "restick". He told me he had a piano in his show room that was reasonably priced and came with warranties. I went to look at the piano. It was a Baldwin piano that looked brand new and also sounded very good. I decided to purchase it. He arranged to have the piano delivered and the old piano removed at no extra cost.

Category piano tuning

Thank you for your very complete and detailed testimonial! Also, I appreciate your patience with the sticking keys on the "new" piano. As you mentioned, I will remedy the situation permanently and to your satisfaction after the New Year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year tilll then!

11/10/2016

Alfred B.

Upon contacting James he promptly scheduled the tuning. He arrived on time and explained the process and walked me through extra work that needed to be done and explained why. It was a pleasure dealing with him and we'll use his services again in the future. It's also appreciated that he accepts credit cards for payment.

Description of Work
Piano tune

Category piano tuning

Thank you so much for the opportunity to "Make Your Piano Sing" for your wife and daughter and for your kind words! Looking forward to next time!

10/19/2016

Jean R.

Very pleased with James Karr piano tuning. Extremely communicative with responses, prompt arrival, competitively priced and this is truly his area of professional expertise. Went beyond my expectations to ensure that I was 100% satisfied with the voicing/tuning of my Yamaha baby grand. Also, a very sincere and nice man to do business with and would highly recommend. A++.

Description of Work
Piano tuning for Yamaha baby grand with pitch raise

Category piano tuning

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was very nice to meet you and help you to enjoy and understand your piano, tuning and tone considerations more fully. I very much look forward to our next appointment!

03/03/2016

LUCIA R.

Thank you!!!

12/03/2015

Brenda C.

Description of Work
He was friendly, polite, timely and great to work with.

Category piano tuning

Hi [Member Name Removed]! Sorry for the delay in thanking you for your review. Hope your Christmas party and New Years were good! I absolutely have someone who can play for the party next Christmas Eve! Let me know if you want their name. Have a great year in the meantime and you'll get a reminder for tuning. Best, J. Karr

10/28/2015

Eddie K.

I was referred to James by many people in the community. I had a piano that hadn?t been tuned for a while and I wanted someone who knew what they were doing. Price. James was really upfront and honest. A lot of tuners will nickel-and-dime you. Many will initially quote you a low price but when they are at your house, they will tack on extras, saying that you?re piano is really out of tune and your estimate could skyrocket. But, even though my piano hasn?t been tuned in 25 years, James added very little to the original price. Performance. I?ve played the violin my entire life and I can tell James has a great ear. If you check his website, you?ll see he?s got good credentials. But, what really impressed me the most and made me write this review is that he tuned everything TWICE. Most tuners will only tune keys once and split. He took the time to actually tune everything twice to make sure everything was perfect. That?s shows to me that James is a person who cares about what he does. If you mention my name, I?m sure you?ll get the same great work.

Description of Work
Tune our home piano.

Category piano tuning

Thank you SO much for your detailed and very gracious review of my services! It is a pleasure to tune for musicians who can appreciate the difference extra effort makes and what music should sound like on a well tuned piano!

09/06/2015

Doug and Carrie J.

Jamie was fabulous to deal with. Answered all of our questions through email very promptly. Did a great joba nd made recommendations on how we can better maintain our piano. Thanks!

Description of Work
Tuned Piano

Category piano tuning

Thank you for your kind words, [Member Name Removed]. I look forward to providing for the needs of your piano in the future. Look for my reminder card! Best, Jamie

06/11/2015

Maureen V.

Description of Work
Gave an appraisal for a piano for estate purposes

Thank you, (removed member name). Sorry to be late! Best wishes! J. Karr

02/03/2015

Barbara P.

Very professional, he shared his opinion of my old piano, how often it should be tuned, etc.

Description of Work
Tuned piano from my childhood recently shipped to me from my parents

Category piano tuning

Thank you so much for your glowing review of my service! I look for forward to our next appointment. Please check out my website as I look forward to making your piano "Sing" again!

01/16/2015

Sharon W.

Tuned my very old, very flat and uneven piano. He arrived right on time and was very professional. Now that I have found Mr. Karr, I will make sure my piano gets tuned yearly.

Description of Work
Tune my piano

Category piano tuning

Hi (member name removed). Thank you for your kind response to my service! I look forward to tuning your piano next time and your reminder card will arrive in time for the Christmas Holiday. Have a great year! J. Karr

09/11/2014

karen R.

The work was successfully completed as my children gave the sound of the piano a thumbs up! Mr. Karr was prompt, knowledgeable and professional. I will definitely use him again and would recommend him to anyone looking for a tuner.

Description of Work
Tuned an aging piano that had not been tuned in several years.

Category piano tuning

Thank you, [removed member name]! Look forward to the next "thumbs up" visit!

04/20/2012

john Z.

I don't remember his specific pricing, but it was competitive. Overall, I thought he was prompt, clean and did a good job.

Description of Work
I had James Karr Piano come out to tune my piano.

09/01/2009

GUNTHER J.

He did very well and he was reasonable. He was also very professional. The piano is much older than I am, but he did as well as he could with it and we were pleased with his ability. It was so old that he could not tune the very low strings, but that was okay.

Description of Work
We used James Karr a couple of months ago for piano tuning.

10/31/2008

ALICIA D.

The piano sounds excellent, which is difficult to do due to the piano's age.

Description of Work
Mr. Karr tuned my 100+ year old upright piano and also fixed two wooden pieces that had fallen out off the hammers.

Piano Tuning

Tuning(home, institutional, concert, professional, studio), repairing (all action regulation, hammer filing & voicing), restoration (finishing,action rebuilding,re-stringing new sounding boards, pinblocks, polishing,touch-up) Insurance & fairmarket value appraisals, for-purchase evaluations

Piano Moving