American A-1 Waterproofing

Founded 1990 • With Angi since May 2009

American A-1 Waterproofing has an A+ Rating with the BBB and has never had a complaint in our 25 years of business. American A-1 Waterproofing is certified as a "Certified Waterproofing Specialist" (CWS) by the National Association of Waterproofing and Structural Repair Contractors. American A-1

Picture 1Picture 2Picture 3

basement waterproofing (134)foundation repair (22)well & water pump repair (18)concrete repair (12)drain pipe installation (8)mold removal (3)flooring (1)roofing (6)stone & gravel (3)drywall (2)gutter cleaning (1)

02/23/2022

Kelly H.

I can't say enough good things about American A-1 Waterproofing. Roland and his team were amazing. I had originally opted to go with another contractor to install a French drain and sump pump, but after exposing the foundation, they got spooked and said they wouldn't perform the work. Roland came by and assured me his team could get the work done and they did not disappoint. Through the initial estimate, permitting, construction and final sign off, Roland and his team were communicative, prompt, clean, and extremely professional. It was an absolute pleasure to work with them!

Description of Work
Knee wall and French drain in basement

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing, foundation repair

Work Completed On 02/23/2022

02/16/2022

Polly P.

Working with Lou was great. He was super professional and courteous right from the beginning. He personally showed up for the initial walkthrough to discuss my concerns and view the property. He was helpful at explaining what the issue was and options to remediate. His quote was delivered in a timely manner and work scheduled. His crew was very professional and clean. They stuck to the timelines and communicated any issues and status updates. It is very rare to find a company with those good values and work ethic. I appreciate Lou and his team for the work completed. We are very satisfied and would hands down recommend him to anyone looking to address waterproofing concerns.

Description of Work
Waterproofing - basement and front walkway

Work Completed On 02/16/2022

06/21/2021

Denise D.

American A-1 waterproofing did an excellent job. Lou is a honest and reliable owner. He responded to me immediately and explained things well. My yard was excavated very deeply so it took time for the dirt to settle. Lou sent workers back to add more dirt in after it settled to ensure the job was done correctly.

Description of Work
I had the side of my house excavated to waterproof it to avoid water coming into our crawlspace. I also had drains put in and my sump pump connected to the drains to all drain out to the storm drain.

Category basement waterproofing, wells, drain pipe, foundation repair

Work Completed On 04/10/2021

06/20/2021

Annette D.

The men who fixed my basement were very dedicated to doing a miraculous job, I went from hopeless to very happy, I cried when I opened the basement door and witnessed how they fixed my flooded basement, and Lou shared the most caring ideas to build a plan to solve the flooding when I met him, I instantly felt certain American A-1 Waterproofing would be the best choice.

Description of Work
American A-1 Waterproofing fixed my flooded basement

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing, drain pipe, mold removal, foundation repair

Work Completed On 02/08/2021

06/07/2021

Erica W.

Lou came out to give us an estimate and outline the work needed very quickly. He worked tirelessly to obtain the permits needed from our town for this project! He was always responsive to my questions. His work was fantastic! Highly recommend A-1

Description of Work
French Drain and outdoor drainage system

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing, drain pipe

Work Completed On 05/24/2021

03/19/2021

Tricia G.

These guys could not be more terrific! They were able to diagnose a problem that no other waterproofing could. American A-1 was here 5 minutes and they knew exactly what our problem was. We didn’t know it but we have iron oxide in our ground which needs to be maintained yearly. Also our french drain hadn’t been dug out deep enough to begin with so our finished basement got completely ruined. It was a very low point in our life but these guys came in, did the DIRTY job with HEAVY lifting and never complained once. They were efficient, knowledgeable and cleaned up to perfection when they were done. They even paid for a cleaning service to come in as dust had gotten just about everywhere. At another point in time our window wells were filling up with water and we didn’t know why. They came the next morning and figured out a drain pipe had been punctured by our underground sprinkler company. They did the work that day and it’s been perfect ever since. They could not be better at what they do. I’m in awe of how knowledgeable they are and how hard they work! Thank you to everyone at American A-1 for solving our problem, working hard, and allowing us the ability to enjoy our basement again!

Description of Work
Waterproofing

Work Completed On 03/18/2021

07/31/2020

Tosha N.

I received four estimates for my waterproofing project. Ultimately, I chose American A-1 Waterproofing due to the personalized and positive experience I had with Lou Manzo (Manager), Maurice (Foreman) and Crew Members. From the start, Lou was generally concerned with meeting my waterproofing needs. He actively listened to my concerns and provided satisfying solutions to achieve a dry basement without leading me down an unnecessary and confusing purchasing path. Lou explained the work to be done in great details. He was responsive to my calls, emails and texts and patiently answered ALL of my questions. Maurice and his crew members did an amazing job. They worked diligently during a heat wave and always demonstrated positive energy. They depicted such pride in their work -- making sure everything worked effectively and efficiently. I have to say, Lou really went above and beyond the call of duty. He ensured Maurice and Crew Members replaced a clogged downspout drainpipe and installed a cleanout valve. He ensured Maurice and Crew Members connected an exterior drainpipe from the catch basin to eliminate standing water in my front yard. This concept was Brilliant! And completed at the at a fraction of the cost! In addition, Lou consumed the cost to unclog a sewer line that compromised my newly installed Waterproofing System. But wait there is more! I have been unable to attend to other pertinent matters on/around my property, as I am recovering from surgery. Lou sympathized with my plight and ensured his crew demolished a crumbling flower bed wall and deteriorated shed in my backyard at a faction of the cost. Moreover, Lou returned with a crew member the day after the job was completed to reconnect my utility sink, washer and dryer and move them back into place free of charge. I am very pleased with the exceptional service provided by Lou, Maurice, and all Crew Members at American A-1 Waterproofing. From start to finish, they were professional, courteous, and GENUINE. The team exceeded my expectations! Moreover, pricing for my waterproofing project was extremely fair.

Description of Work
French Drain with Sump Pump

Work Completed On 07/20/2020

07/29/2020

Stephen P.

It went great. We had water in our basement after every rain storm, but it was a complicated problem. We interviewed 5 businesses before selecting American A-1, as they were the only ones who came up with a solution for our problem. Through the whole process they were responsive and professional. The team that came and did the work was also great. They were on time, finished on schedule, were courteous and professional. They did a great job. I had some questions afterwards and Lou was always available to answer them. Most importantly the work was completed several months ago and we haven't had water in the basement since. The price was very fair. i would hire them again in a second.

Description of Work
Waterpoofing of basement

Work Completed On 07/29/2020

05/01/2020

Randie F.

Went well. Lou and his team were efficient and worked with me financially. Would hire again!

Description of Work
Pour two footings and replace columns

Work Completed On 04/29/2020

12/21/2018

Tony L.

Roland's expertise and honesty saved us a ton of needless expense and allowed us to quickly determine the source of the leak. I would highly recommend this professional.

Description of Work
We had our first basement leak in 32 years and couldn't determine where water was coming from. Several other professionals (water damage, Suez Water, plumber) thought it was high water table. After water removal and drying out of the basement, seepage was still occurring. So contacted Roland for him to inspect and give an estimate for french drains and/or foundation repair. Roland inspected and advised that he really didn't think it was outside water and before he started to tear up yard, that I should open up the basement wall where the water was seeping in from. Sure enough, found a leaking pipe from above floor baseboard heat (no water damage at site of leak) so no indication of leak.

Work Completed On 12/13/2018

09/03/2018

William J.

He investigated the issue and determined it was an easy DIY job and not something I need to pay a professional like him for. Gave me a shopping list and sent me to Home Depot. Very honest!

Description of Work
Basement waterproofing

Work Completed On 08/01/2018

07/02/2018

Christopher A.

Eexcellant job since the job was done my sump pump well has been bone dry since. No more water squirting through wall. Could not be more happy.

Description of Work
Underground roof drains installed and basement crack repaired

Category basement waterproofing, drain pipe

Work Completed On 06/07/2018

Review for American A-1 Waterproofing - 198 Belmont Ave, Haledon, NJ - 37208032

06/30/2018

Mark M.

Roland contacted us promptly and set up an appointment to evaluate within a few days. We described the water problem we were having and he looked into possible causes. After ruling out a couple of things he said that French drains were the way to go. He accommodated our schedule when setting up a date for the work to begin. Work was started on schedule and was completed over three days. The work crew was pleasant and communicative. On some days the number of people working was pretty large. The project consisted of digging a perimeter trench along the basement wall; installing filler fabric, stone, and perforated PVC pipe to exit into a sump pump; installing a sump pump and a battery backup; connecting the sump pump drainage to our municipal storm drain; drilling out the bottom foundation blocks and mounting drain board to the foundation; re-cementing the concrete floor; reconstructing a concrete platform at the foot of our basement stairs that needed to be removed for the trench to be dug; clean up and removal of debris. All of these things were done expertly. The construction area was curtained off to keep dust and debris isolated. In order to run the drain out to the municipal storm drain it was necessary to dig under a section of sidewalk. The workmen targeted a section of sidewalk that was in need of repair already, so we got the benefit of a repaired sidewalk as well! We knew at the outset that this company does not do electrical work. A power line for the pumps had to be installed by another contractor after the drain was completed.

Description of Work
Installed French drains and sump pump

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing, wells

Work Completed On 05/25/2018

Review for American A-1 Waterproofing - 198 Belmont Ave, Haledon, NJ - 37203176

05/03/2018

Americo A.

When excavation was done it was determined that the foundation wall was not as strong as it should be (not surprising for a 92 year old house). A1 recommended to strengthen the foundation by pouring additional cement. A1 took care of everything. Took an extra couple of days to complete the work but well worth it.

Description of Work
Basement Waterproofing

Work Completed On 04/17/2018

11/02/2017

laura M.

Roland and A-1 are very honest and professional. I was nervous about each ensuing problem and they were calm and rassuring. The job was more complicated than initially anticipated but they knew exactly what to do. They wound up having to extend the work by another 8 feet so it cost more but had to be done. I would call A-1

Description of Work
I was getting water in my basement, had the foundation excavated and resealed. The work had to be done under my deck and my deck had to be partially dismantled to allow the work to be done. To further complicate matters, It turned out that there was a cement patio under the deck and they needed to use a jack hammer to break up the patio so they could dig down to the foundation. Further, the cement patio was attached to the foundation with rebar which had made holes in the foundation. A-1 filled the holes with cement and also resealed the foundation

Category concrete repair, foundation repair

Work Completed On 10/30/2017

Santiago R.

Starting with the sales rep, Jeff ending with the foreman Lou along with staff. American A-1 was honest, on time and efficient! On the initial survey, Jeff took about an hour to survey my basement and accommodated my late work schedule to perform the survey. His attentiveness and patience deserves recognition alone! Now for the job, all employees who were on site were courteous, clean and honest! The foreman on site accidentally pinched the water-main when breaking ground. He noticed it and quickly notified me. The company proactively reached out to a plumber, who coordinated the job with my local water provider and fixed the mistake immediately! This alone, made me feel like i made the right choice with American A-1. Had some very bad rainfall recently, and my basement was bone dry! I highly recommend this company. Thanks to all who were involved!

Description of Work
Waterproof basement. French drain instalation

Work Completed On 09/15/2017

Andrew A.

High quality and integrid craftsmanship. Was very fortunate that they do not over price their servies. I had a 22 foot water seepage pressure drain pipe and pump drilled under my basement lead by project manager Jeff D and foreman Morris. Every detail was checked, staff was very friendly and did a fast and clean job. So glad the water nightmare is over.

Description of Work
Basement had seepage from floor and walls. Found this company through a simple online search and they immediately sent a rep to my house who gave an honest and intelligent analysis and estimate for repairs, which was quickly scheduled around my time frame.

Category concrete repair, pavers, gravel, basement waterproofing, wells, drain pipe, foundation repair

Work Completed On 10/30/2017

Steven M.

I found this company to be very professional. The work crew was excellent and performed quality work. They are very clean and organized. Roland and Jeff were pleasant to work with and they both communicate well throughout the job. Roland takes pride in his work. I will recommend American A-1 to anyone in need of a waterproofing and foundation repair company.

Description of Work
Basement Waterproofing and Foundation Repairs

Category basement waterproofing, foundation repair

07/27/2017

Kristine F.

It turned into a huge job and they were top notch and thoroughly professional.

Description of Work
Waterproof exterior of basement crawl space and add Frenchman drain and sump pump inside

Category basement waterproofing, wells, drain pipe, foundation repair

Work Completed On 07/17/2017

06/28/2017

Jonathan O.

Jeff communicated the job tasks and coordinated the work very well which lead to a pretty smooth and painless implementation

Description of Work
French drain installation in basement

Category basement waterproofing, wells

Work Completed On 05/01/2017

05/12/2017

joan M.

I was told exactly what had to be done and a price was quoted. they came and dug down and sealed the foundation and put a membrane on and took care of filling the hole and replacing cement in part on patio. very efficient , neat and polite.

Description of Work
had crack in foundation and a small amt of flooding in basement. needed it to be sealed.

Category basement waterproofing, foundation repair

Work Completed On 05/12/2017

04/26/2017

Philippe P.

Work well done. They are very clean, professional, and perform great quality work.

Description of Work
Install french drain in the basement and reinforce foundation.

Category basement waterproofing, wells, foundation repair