A1 American Home Improvement

Founded 1999 • With Angi since March 2016

Home Improvement Company Specializing in Interior Residental Home Improvement Projects to small repairs up to Kitchen and Bathroom Remodels and Finished Basements

handyman (13)general contractors (12)door installation (7)interior painting (7)drywall (6)home remodeling (5)woodworking (4)flooring (4)ceiling fan installation (2)window replacement (2)screen repair (2)hardwood floors (2)

07/26/2021

Neeraj N.

I asked for someone to take a look at the things I needed done and provide an estimate. The guy showed up and I asked him to either take off shoes or cover them with a plastic bag or some other covering. He simply took off saying he will be back another time but I could see he was annoyed with my request to take off shoes. He said it is a safety hazard, which I am not sure how.

Description of Work
General Handymen work

Category electrician, handyman service

Work Completed On 07/20/2021

I was unable to take my shoes off due to insurance reasons in case I slip on a floor or step on a sharp object. I am sorry that the customer thought I was being dismissive with him on that day and misunderstood what I was trying to tell him. I DID NOT DO ANY TYPE OF WORK FOR THIS CUSTOMER NOR DID I GIVE HIM AN ESTIMATE FOR ANY WORK HE NEEDED DONE. THE PEOPLE WHO I COMPLETED WORK FOR IN OTHER REVIEWS ALWAYS LEAVE A 5 STAR PERFECT REVIEW FOR MY WORK AND ARE ALWAYS COMPLETLY SATISFIED.

07/05/2021

Andrea P.

Great Mike was prompt in arriving, neat at professional. His price was fair and I round Hurd him again and mist certainly recommend him to friends snd family.

Description of Work
screen repair and patio screen door replacement

Category screen repair

Work Completed On 07/05/2021

05/25/2021

Jennine F.

I called Mike from A1 American Home Improvement to assemble several pieces of furniture. His price was fair so I hired him. He was responsive to emails and texts, came when he was supposed to and did a great job! He was also respectful and just an all around nice guy. I would definitely recommend him and plan to use him again for other odd jobs.

Description of Work
furniture assembly

Category handyman service

Work Completed On 05/25/2021

05/06/2021

Lynne K.

Very well. These guys figure it out when things do not go smoothly. Very pleasant and punctual to work with.

Description of Work
whitewash fireplace, hang light fixture, install new closet door hardware, install exterior door sweep, install new light fixture in shower stall.

Category electrician

Work Completed On 05/06/2021

01/24/2021

Lisa M.

It went very well. Walter and Mike are excellent handymen. They are professional, neat, punctual and competent. The work they did in my home looks wonderful and I am very pleased with their work. I am hiring them again to do additional work in my very old home! I will also refer them to my friends and family.

Description of Work
renovate bathroom and install attic stairs

Category handyman service

Work Completed On 01/25/2021

07/10/2020

Joe P.

Mike was wonderful and knowledgeable.I am looking forward to continuing to do more projects with him in the near future.

Description of Work
Bathroom spackled and painted.New medicine cabinet ,lights installed.Also replaced hardware.

Category contractors, handyman service, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 07/10/2020

03/05/2020

Tom S.

He completed the job very professionally. I plan on using him when I have another problem.

Description of Work
fix kitand bathroom sink cartridge

Category contractors

Work Completed On 03/09/2020

12/11/2019

donna S.

The 1st time I met Walter & son, I am already confident that they will perform the job needed for my house. And they did not fail me. Very knowledgeable and dependable. They are quick, yet efficient. I will definitely hire them again in the future!

Description of Work
bathroom Shower repair

Category drywall, handyman service

Work Completed On 12/04/2019

09/05/2019

Lisa D.

I used A1 to update a hall bathroom in a rental property. This involved a replacing a vanity, installing vinyl plank flooring and repainting. Walter and his son did a great job for me and were very easy to deal with. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Updated Bathroom

Category flooring contractor, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 09/05/2019

08/26/2019

Sarah S.

Walter and Mike did a great job with all the repairs. I especially appreciate Walter's suggestions with the garage ceiling down, putting floor above ceiling, add attic stairs for easier access (was using ladder previously), adding more lighting (much better than before), repair basement stairway wall. I found all his suggestions to be extremely helpful as I would never have thought of it -until it was too late, if at all. Mike was also very conscientious about satisfying my aesthetics with the door trims (had preferred colors if doable). The work was bundled into one price including new lighting fixtures which turned-out to be exactly what I would have selected. Very happy with work, would call again in a heartbeat on any future projects.

Description of Work
Remove garage ceiling, install,compound,sand,paint new ceiling and attic stairs, flooring above ceiling, new ceiling light fixture, new wall outlets, and outlet in loft/ceiling area, patch walls, paint walls. Install OTR microwave, repair/replace weatherstripping on 2 doors, replace door threshold.

Category contractors, drywall, handyman service, interior painters

Work Completed On 09/02/2019

06/30/2019

Amy Z.

Mike is a great handyman. He is efficient and diligent and fairly priced and I would absolutely hire him again!

Description of Work
Cabinet installed, door hinges replaced, molding installed, etc.

Category contractors, handyman service, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 06/29/2019

04/05/2019

Jennifer P.

Updated Review 04/08/2019 in response to the Service Providers comments: He guaranteed me, that the crack will not be visible, he obviously did not do the repair correctly because the cracks is still visible, when he came back he just did a quick patch, "When you explained how the job would be done, you said that you are going to cut out the whole area where the crack was, and you did not do that, All you did is spackle over the crack and sanded it, and you didn't even sanded it flat." It was a rushed job, and after I primed it all the shutty work all popped out, all the bad works that he did popped out, and I called him, and I don't need to hire a new contractor to fix his shutty work and He actually offered me a compensation for the work because he knew that he did a bad job. My husband is a cancer patient, and we just want this thing gets fixed, and he was offering to pay $150.00 because he knew he did a very bad job. You are the scammer, you got paid $1150.00 in CASH, for a job that you didn't do right, now who is Scamming who? When he was doing the job, and using your sander near my furnace, their was sawdust all over my furnace, and when i asked if was safe, he said yes because he was so lazy to get out 5 steps away to keep the sawdust away from the furnace and work outside. I have the furnace repaired because it was clogged on top due to the sawdust from the sanding he did. He even caused me more work and money just because of the bad work he did. Highly disappointed, Please beware of this guys, and I won't consider recommending them to anyone. He was a total jerk, if he would have done the work right the first time, then everything would have been fine, but he gets us on a run around and dare to call me a scammer, where in fact he was the one who did not do the work correctly and caused me more money to fixed the mess he did.

Description of Work
He did some work in the basement and did drywall repair. I had cracks in the drywall upstairs in my living room. After he did patch, he said to us we can prime the wall and paint it. We waited a couple of weeks, this weekend we started the prime. All the spackle was bubbling up. So my husband took pictures and sent it to him. He came back and did a real quick patch. A little bit of spackle and said tomorrow I'll come back to sand it. He came back and stayed like literally for 2 minutes. We primed it again today and and again there's still the issue. I paid him everything up, I paid cash. I can't have him back in my house. I don't trust his work. I don't think he know what he was doing. He said "How much money you want back?". I told him I want $350 and he said "All I could do is $150". He screwed my wall. I wanted to be reimbursed.

Category drywall

Work Completed On 02/28/2019

After going back twice to the location there was no visible cracks. Customer said they needed a partial refund to hire another person but couldn't produce a contract or even a phone number for this person. Attempted to scam money from a completed job.

03/24/2019

lisha J.

Walter provided a fair estimate and started the work within couple days. The work was completed on schedule and the workplace is functional and beautiful.

Description of Work
create workspace in an unused nook area

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 03/22/2019

03/07/2019

Pat F.

Excellent work was done with a superior attitude

Description of Work
railing built and pictures hung

Category contractors, handyman service

Work Completed On 03/07/2019

07/31/2018

Pamela B.

They were great On time and gave updates through the two day job on status and what to expect next

Description of Work
I needed a gazebo assembled and installed

Category contractors, picture framing, handyman service, mobile home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/03/2018

Review for A1 American Home Improvement - 7 Highway Terrace, Edison, NJ - 37281770

07/12/2018

ELEANOR U.

We were very happy with the work. We received a detailed estimate of the work to be done and the cost. Walter and Michael, his son, began the work when promised and kept us updated with scheduling and timing. Price was reasonable. They cleaned up each day and at the end of the job. They offered us suggestions, much appreciated. And Walter is coming back later in the month to replace a older exterior door handle that needs to be provided by his locksmith who was on vacation. We would definitely call Walter again.

Description of Work
Repaired 2 bathroom ceilings by vent fans and painted ceilings. Painted walls in 1 bathroom and patched another bathroom wall.. Replaced all hinges and knobs on all interior and exterior doors. Replaced hardware and towel bars in 2 bathrooms. Replaced weatherstripping on 3 exterior doors. Replaced hallway closet slider door and painted. Patched ceiling in great room. Painted ceiling, walls, doors and all trim and woodwork in great room and kitchen. Replaced and painted hallway closet slider door. Painted front door, living room bow window and window trim in 1 bedroom. Painted outside shed.

Category contractors, handyman service, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 06/15/2018

05/16/2018

Ann T.

They were great. Very professional and helpful. He was kind enough to give us advice and a floor project that we will be doing ourselves. Also, my neighbor wanted one of the old door for her garden and they volunteered to deliver it to her house.

Description of Work
Install new doors and repair door sills.

Category doors

Work Completed On 05/09/2018

04/01/2018

Rosemarie G.

The service and workmanship was great. They were punctual and courteous. They left no mess. We were pleased with the job done.

Description of Work
Replaced solid wood slab door

Category contractors, doors

Work Completed On 03/24/2018

03/14/2018

Pam H.

My finished kitchen looks great. I had many issues with the cabinet and the quartz companies and assorted other issues, but A-1 always bailed me out. I am very satisfied and have hired them for more work.

Description of Work
Remodel of my kitchen

Category drywall, flooring contractor, handyman service, remodeling, ceiling fans, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 03/02/2018

10/18/2017

Ginny H.

Fine. They keep you posted along the way as to halfway and finish time. They also listen well to customer as well as advise and point you in positive directions for cost saving yet not quality compromising aspects.

Description of Work
Bathroom total renovation. Also a total renovation of a bedroom too, and I will be hiring them for an addtl bedroom as well.

Category contractors, picture framing, hardwood floor, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/18/2017

10/05/2017

Kathy F.

project is still in process stage but is going amazingly well considering the complexity of the size of the window and that it had to match a window on another wall. there is also molding and alarms and outside siding to contend with. A1 American Home Improvement have been helpful in coordinating all steps involved. They are professional and always available for questions. They go well beyond any other contractor I've hired in the past

Description of Work
Replacement of wall to wall, ceiling to floor window which began leaking and caused dry rot.

Category contractors, replacement windows, woodworking

Work Completed On 10/05/2017

10/04/2017

tom S.

Contractor was fantastic. Punctual, polite, trustworthy, honest, professional, exact, thorough and very conscientious. Very qualified performing high quality work.

Description of Work
Renovation of basement including walls, doors, closet, moldings and flooring.

Category contractors, drywall, flooring contractor, picture framing, handyman service, remodeling, wallpaper removal, woodworking, doors, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 10/03/2017