Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

Founded 1932 • With Angi since December 2005

Headed by master plumbers, William Schinestuhl and Tom Swick, Chapman Brothers continues a long tradition of plumbing, heating and cooling service in the Union, Essex, and Middlesex county area. Originally founded in 1932, Chapman Brothers is one the longest running plumbing and heating companies in New Jersey. With a highly trained staff representing more than 150 years experience, Chapman Brothers has over 5000 customers in the area that can attest to the technical abilities and customer service skills of its trained technicians and staff. NJ Plumbing License #6073 William Schinestuhl – NJ Plumbing License #6848 Thomas Swick. Additional DBA - New Jersey Plumbing & Heating Inc. Award winning. Senior Discount up to $200 off. Cannot combine w/other offers....

A Service Provider's profile image

+2 more images

4.3

plumbers (146)HVAC Companies (66)water heaters (26)drain cleaning (23)sewer cleaning (6)well & water pump repair (6)home remodeling (4)grill repair (3)drain pipe installation (2)gas leak repair (1)gas fireplace repair (1)irrigation system (1)

09/01/2021

Brian S.

$350 for 30 minutes of service. Never again.

Description of Work
Toilet Shut off valve

Work Completed On 08/31/2021

01/11/2021

Tyeisha Y.

These guys did a great job. They were on time courteous and very professional. Would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
A pipe replaced in upstairs bathroom

Category gas grill repair, plumbing

Work Completed On 12/02/2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such a great review. We appreciate and value your business and look forward to serving you again should the need arise. Best, Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

11/20/2020

Anand S.

Juan was very knowledgeable, efficient and courteous.

Description of Work
HVAC inspection

Work Completed On 12/15/2020

Thank you very much for the great review! We appreciate and value your patronage and look forward to serving you again should the need arise, Best Your friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and A/C 👍🏻

10/13/2020

Yosh B.

My best experience in 7 years with this sort of service. Juan, the technician, was great: polite, competent, on time, fast, thorough, no attempt to upsell services or parts I wouldn't need.

Description of Work
Steam Boiler Maintenance

Work Completed On 10/13/2020

Thank you very much for the great and kind review. We appreciate and value and appreciate our clients and always provide honest and thorough service/installation. Thank you very much for your patronage and we hope to hear from you again should the need arise. Best, Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning.

07/14/2020

Anthony C.

Did a great job of replacing the bath cabinet faucet, drain and shut off valves. Job cleanup and care for social distancing were excellent too.

Description of Work
Replaced old bath faucet.

Work Completed On 06/05/2020

Thank you very much for your kind review. We really appreciate and value your business and hope you will consider calling us again in the future should the need arise. Best your friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning Inc.

06/04/2020

Stacey A.

absolutely on the money, great service

Description of Work
Plumbing , Water lines replaced

Work Completed On 05/20/2020

Thank you very much for your great review. We appreciate and value your patronage and look forward to serving you again in the future should the need arise. Best your friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning.

01/09/2020

Kevin N.

Let us preface our review by saying we have an older home which had very specific needs and limited space to work with. It should also be noted that all of these projects needed to be precisely timed around a concurrent foundation repair (I-beams encased in concrete being placed along all of the walls in our basement). Over this past year, Chapman Brothers completed the following repairs for us: -conversion from oil to gas heat (steam oil boiler to gas combi unit - all in one boiler/water heater) -oil tank/water heater removal -steam pipe removal along all walls in the basement -removal of steam pipes and conversion to pex water lines to all radiators throughout our home -chimney liner install -complete air conditioner/condenser replacement/associated electrical work -duct repair -sewer line replacement -2 sump pump replacements (1 with complete battery back up system and pipe repair) -plumbing for washing machine relocation -water main pressure regulator and shut off valve replacement -gas line relocation to accommodate the angle irons needed for the foundation repair -sill **** replacements ...and I probably forgot a thing or two... Reliability, communication and punctuality were key to working alongside the foundation repair company, gas company, water company and town - all while allowing us to keep our sanity through such a big repair. The concurrent foundation repair made this a complicated and unique project to begin with, and our living in the home with a 1.5yr old while all this was going on just made it that much more interesting. For example, most of the plumbing needed to be temporarily installed before putting in the final piping, so we could live in our home while this all went on. Chapman went out of their way to make this happen with no interruptions in gas/water/waste removal service. Also, ultimately all the plumbing/gas lines needed to be run around or over the i-beams placed along the walls-but neatly-so we didn’t waste too much space because we were refinishing the basement again. Some work needed to be slightly altered and redone after we hit some “bumps in the road” with our other repairs. Annoying but true, and without hesitation or complaint, Chapman redid the things we needed redone. We had a 1.5yr old running around and they worked around and humored him every chance they had. Needless to say, there were a lot of factors that made our project anything but easy for anyone. But Bill, Tom and team did everything they could make all of this as easy as possible. They were thorough, organized, productive, clean, punctual, patient, reasonable, flexible, and most importantly honest and kind. Their attention to detail still impresses us. Who knew plumbing could be so clean and organized?! Melissa in the office was also really great with scheduling - super organized, patient and accommodating, it helped with all of the coordination involved with the project. The clever ways the guys found to work with what we had with was impressive / in-and-of itself. Further, these guys didn’t come in here trying to sell any fancy fixes or promise us the world. They came with obvious years of experience and, frankly, just helped us make everything work the best way it could for us and our specific situation. There’s something to be said about having a job done correctly, but it’s something totally different being able to say you had it done right the first time (Any homeowner who has had subpar work done knows exactly what I mean by this.). Bill and his team became a huge part of our lives over this past year and we respect them and their work more than we can say. These guys had countless hours of work ahead of them yet never hesitated to stop and answer a question we had or offer a suggestion on a way to make our project work better and within our budget. They were punctual, used their time wisely and productively, yet didn’t rush in and out carelessly. What I think is even more important to emphasize is that I can honestly say I trust chapman brothers. As a homeowner I would typically feel vulnerable saying that about a contractor, but not for a second when it comes to Chapman. They are good, honest people who show absolute pride and craftsmanship in their work. They have something many people don’t; years of skill and experience under their belts along with pride in their work. They aren’t rushing around to make the next dollar. They do quality work and find themselves with clients for life. They are most definitely experts in their field. Needless to say, my family and I will be lifetime clients of chapman brothers and will continue to refer them to everyone we know.

Description of Work
Heating and A/C Install, Sewer Line Replacement, Oil Tank Removal, and Plumbing

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, wells

Work Completed On 01/08/2020

Review for Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning  - 36 North Ave E, Cranford, NJ - 38321040

Thanks for the awesome review! Your words are everything we work for and mean alot to us. We value and appreciate your business and friendship. Thank you again. Your friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

10/22/2019

Priyakant C.

I called to schedule a service call. Per their website and Angie’s list, they have $69 service call fee that includes the diagnosis fee. However, the lady I spoke with said the $69 was JUST to send the plumber to my door and DOES NOT include diagnosis. What sort of pricing is this? Who charges for just showing up? Its understandable that a company would charge to come out and diagnose the issue and then repair or any work done would be extra! But this is a rip-off!

Description of Work
Plumbing service call

Work Completed On 10/22/2019

Just wanted to first state thank you for calling Chapman Bros. Plumbing, heating and A/C. However, we did not ever go to your home. All you are stating in this review is that you are not happy with our Service Policy. As we state on Angies List Website and on the phone we do charge a $69.00 Service Fee, which is no secret. Many other companies charge the same type of fee, as well. This is standard across the industry. We are sorry for your dissatisfaction with this fee however, you did not pay this and use us, so there really should not be a problem. I hope you can find a provider that meets your expectations.

10/16/2019

Maura C.

Tech came to install a water heater today. Was told he would be here between 8am and noon. Showed up at 2:30. I let it slide, I'm used to waiting for contractors. He was here for nearly hours and at the end of the job (we are about to eat dinner), told my husband that he needed him to help him carry the old water heater out of our basement. I had been alone at our house for the majority of the day and am 5 months pregnant - if my husband hadn't come home, who would have helped him carry the old heater out? Of course, there was an added charge for a pipe that had to be "brought up to code." Again, fine, used to that. After he leaves, we go into the basement - the toilet down there isn't working and is covered in pubic hair. Not sure what happened to the toilet in the 6 hours that he's been down there, but it is no longer flushing and, again, is covered in hair. Not our hair. Finally, I discover that beside the water heater, which is where our laundry and dryer are placed, bottles of Draino and other cleaning supplies have been left on the floor (I have a 2-year-old, whom the tech saw while he was in the house, so he knows I have kids). Along with these cleaning supplies, which had previously been on a high shelf, is our cleaning bucket, which is now dirty and hasn't been cleaned, just sitting beside the water heater. My child's playroom is in the basement, which anyone could see if they walked down there, which of course the tech did. Cleaning up your mess? Great. Leaving chemicals and a dirty bucket behind you, within reach of a child? What questionable judgment and truly horrible service. We called the company and were told that they would have to get back to us tomorrow, but they don't have a time frame for us. Apparently, the tech "forgot" to get back to the toilet after he disabled it. Incredibly unprofessional, horrible customer service, random up-charges, poor service, and truly crappy, unsafe clean up. No, I would never recommend Chapman Bros. Has your service been this bad since 1932? "Since writing this review, I was contacted by the company and was able to talk through the experience that we had with them. They offered their sincere apologies and we spoke about how mistakes can happen on the job, which I completely understand. I appreciated their diligence and professionalism in reaching out to discuss what had happened, as well as to offer compensation for the frustration experienced at our end. Judy was kind, attentive, and understanding. After speaking with her, I would like to update my review to reflect the company's focus on the consumer's experience and their desire to set things right. I would rate their professionalism, desire to communicate and remedy issues, and quick response-time a 4 out of 5. I truly appreciate the effort made on their part, and would be happy to use them again in the future."

Description of Work
Installation of a new water heater

Category water heater repair

Work Completed On 10/15/2019

05/10/2019

Dmitriy A.

The company was responsive, technicians were very professional, took time to explain what they were doing and what was the issue as well as provided tips for overall maintenance. Work was done quickly and thoroughly

Description of Work
Fixed steam heater

Work Completed On 05/10/2019

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate your business and patronage and look forward to serving you again in the future should you need it. Best your friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning!

02/07/2019

Baron R.

First, I almost never write reviews, good or bad. Usually all the good ones are solicited and most of the bad ones are people who you can't make happy no matter what..and I did say "most". But not this one. With the recent cold snap, I ended up having a burst pipe. Common enough, and as an emergency I feel that even though it took 2 days for them to get me in their schedule it was an excellent response time because I am sure they had a long list of similar situations and it's impossible to put everyone at the top. It's first come, first serve. And, just a side note, I believe their pricing was very fair. But right after the repair, we noticed a couple of problems that hadn't existed. First, our faucet started leaking and second we had no hot water in the shower. It's an odd coincidence that those two things occurred right after the pipe was repaired and even odder in that the faucet is only about a year old. Before, no leaking faucet and we had hot water in the shower and after neither of those things was true. I asked about them and was told I needed a new faucet (the cartridge was bad, was what was said to me) and the shower needed to be replaced, and it wasn't their problem unless I wanted to pay to have them fixed. Then, just a couple days later, lo and behold the pipe burst again. Now, this was odd in that I had shut off the main water the previous evening and it was only when I turned it back on the following day that it went down hill and the problem reoccured. So, a faucet that was fine and then not on the day they came in. A shower that produced hot water and then not on the day they came in. And finally, I had the exact same pipe issue 2 days later, which they charged me for again saying that it was a whole new issue. I probably should have stopped the second check, but I didn't. I wish I had. Maybe you can see why I'm not feeling good about the whole thing. The timing of everything just stinks.

Description of Work
burst pipe repair

Work Completed On 02/02/2019

First let us address that Chapman worked on your baseboard heating pipes, not your plumbing pipes that had anything to do with or in the proximity of your leaky faucet or hot water in your shower. Neither of these issues would be tied to the problem that we resolved. The pipe which you speak of which burst, which you neglected to write in this review, that the technician also advised you not only that you had to insulate but how to and where to do so. Unfortunately, had you done so, this could have been avoided. We are sorry that you had to this experience, however, we also feel this review is not fair because we provided you with a service you needed and because you neglected to follow with your do diligence we are being penalized. We hope that you understand how this transpired and we do appreciate your business.

11/20/2018

Steven S.

Had John come out. Found the problem quickly, told me the options. I would hire them again in second.

Description of Work
boiler repair

Work Completed On 11/20/2018

Thank you very much for the great review and we appreciate your patronage!

08/27/2018

Deirdre H.

We are leak free! Excellent and professional.

Description of Work
Leaking pipes and refrigerator

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 07/02/2018

Thank you very much for the opportunity to provide this service you needed. We appreciate and value your patronage and look forward to serving you again in the future for any plumbing, heating and air conditioning needs, should you need them. Best Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

08/22/2018

Mariano D.

Top notch professionals. They installed a brand new central air unit and converted my house from electric heat to gas. I talked to 14, yes, 14 different vendors, but decided with Tom and his team. They clearly explained everything they needed to do and did it right. As far as communication, I called their answering service for an issue that was not related to the new system they installed. (I was worried about a vent I thought could fall and injure my 5 year old) The technician was in my house the next day and fixed it at no charge. That's how they work. A+

Description of Work
brand new Central Air unit

Work Completed On 08/22/2018

Thank you very much for the opportunity to provide you with a service that was needed. We appreciate and value your patronage and look forward to serving you again in the future, should you have any plumbing, heating or air conditioning problems. Best, Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

06/13/2018

Peggy H.

They arrived on time and fixed the problem. Very courteous.

Description of Work
Clear drains

Category drain cleaning

Work Completed On 06/08/2018

Thank you very much for calling Chapman Bros Plumbing Heating and Air Conditioning. We appreciate and value your patronage. We look forward to hearing from you again should you have any plumbing, heating or air conditioning needs . Best Your friends at Chapman Bros Plumbing Heating and Air Conditioning.

06/13/2018

Joanne L.

They were great, called them for broken heating pipe but they checked everything. I feel they were very honest with me, gave me my options and let me decide what to have done with no pressure from them.

Description of Work
New furnace and pipes

Work Completed On 06/13/2018

Thank you very much for the opportunity to provide you with a service you needed. It is our goal for 100% satisfaction. We are very pleased this was accomplished and look forward to serving you again should you need assistance ! Best Your friends at Chapman Bros Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning

04/01/2018

Robert U.

As always, fantastic...we'd been trying to cure a leak from the second floor bathtub where water was leaking around the drain down to the floor below. After many self-help attempts, it was time to call a pro. Bill diagnosed the problem was somewhere else besides the in-tub drain, and recommended cutting open the wall to gain access because it would be much easier to repair than opening the ceiling below. He expertly cut open a small access panel and found that the drain line was missing a washer (not installed when the tub was installed). He replaced the whole drain assembly and voila!, problem solved. While I had him, he also cured a small issue with the kitchen sink faucet with a novel fix that only someone with years of plumbing experience would come up with. Bill is such a nice man and the integrity of his business is paramount. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Bathtub drain was leaking into floor below

Work Completed On 03/15/2018

Thank very much for your positive response. We truly appreciate and value your patronage and kind words. We do strive for excellence and 100% customer satisfaction. Best, Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

04/01/2018

John K.

repair went well and they arrived I time. just be aware the charge $70 for just coming to your house to evaluate the work that needs to be done. so if you just want an estimate think twice before calling.

Description of Work
repaired corroded pipe.

Category plumbing

Thank you very much for choosing Chapman Bros Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning to perform your work. We are however, very clear about the service fee charge when making appointments on the phone as well as it being on the Angies List Website. Many other companies may tell you they do not charge a service fee, however, it is definitely built into the cost of the work. We, at Chapman, prefer to be upfront and clear about this charge. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our office at 908-276-1320. We do appreciate your patronage. Best, Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

01/17/2018

Theresa C.

Great job on stopping the bath tub faucets from leaking, had an issue they came back within a few days to follow up and no charge.

Description of Work
New bath tub faucets

Work Completed On 10/20/2017

Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to have resolved your heating and plumbing issues and appreciate and value your business. If you should ever need any future plumbing, heating or air conditioning assistance, we would be more than happy to assist. Best, Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

12/27/2017

Bernadette D.

Very well. My furnace needed replacement parts and I had leaks from my master bathroom.

Description of Work
Furnace repair and plumbing repair

Work Completed On 11/09/2017

Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to have resolved your heating and plumbing issues and appreciate and value your business. If you should ever need any future plumbing, heating or air conditioning assistance, we would be more than happy to assist. Happy Healthy New Year! Best, Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

12/26/2017

Jeanette W.

Outstanding. Their reputation lives' I would call them again; good hotline and quick response/

Description of Work
Called on Xmas day! John showed up within the hour. Saved the day!

Work Completed On 12/25/2017

Thank you very much for contacting Chapman Bros. Plumbing Heating and Air Conditioning for Heating service on Christmas Day! We are very happy that your issued was resolved and most of all thank you for your patronage we appreciate and value all our customers at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning! Happy New Year! Best, Your Friends at Chapman Bros. Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning

11/21/2017

c P.

After I took off from work for a scheduled appointment, I was called at the END OF THE DAY to be told the repair person would NOT be coming to do my job. The office decided to send him to do another job somewhere else! They were unable to reschedule me as they did not know when he would be back in my area...unbelievable since I am in the area they claim to service! Very unprofessional, inconsiderate and rude to waste someone's entire day waiting for a scheduled service that they decided at the last minute was not going to happen. I was not told the cancellation was due to an emergency nor was there an attempt to immediately reschedule with me. It is unfortunate how companies do not care about their customer's time or there situation... just bigger jobs or what's convenient for them at the time.

Description of Work
Bathroom toilet and sink repair.

Work Completed On 11/21/2017