A-1 Affordable Construction

Founded 1987 • With Angi since December 2005

A-1 Affordable Construction is a full service chimney, roofing, gutter, and masonry company. With over 30 years experience, we provide quality service, affordable pricing, and guarantee all of our work. Visit our website at A1Affordable.com for special promotions or view our before and after gallery at facebook.com/A1Affordable. Our representatives are always ready to answer your questions and schedule your free estimate....

Se Habla EspañolSe Habla Español
24/7 Service Offered24/7 Service Offered

A Service Provider's profile image

+23 more images

3.7

3.7

3.9

3.8

chimney repair (38)roofing (20)chimney sweep (15)gutter repair (10)chimney cap repair (7)gutter cleaning (4)masonry (3)plumbers (1)

03/10/2022

Vrginia J.

The team was punctual and very polite. The work was completed efficiently and everything was cleaned up. I will definitely use A-1 Affordable again!

Description of Work
Chimney Cleaning and Checkup

Category chimney sweep

Work Completed On 03/07/2022

05/12/2021

Daryl K.

Professional, reliable and timely. Im very satisfied with the service the offered.

Description of Work
Chimney repair

Work Completed On 05/03/2021

03/12/2021

Rhonda Y.

We had A1 come to clean our boiler chimney through our Region Energy agreement. They came on time and were very professional, during the cleaning the tech found that the inner part of our chimney was extremely damaged. He explained the options and we agreed to have them install a new liner. They were able to do it the same day and it looks great, we would hire them again.

Description of Work
Chimney clean and liner installed

Work Completed On 03/12/2021

02/23/2021

Ernesto R.

This company is not worth your hard earned money. The chimney liner they installed was installed crooked and looks very unprofessional. The staff at the office did nothing to correct the horrible workmanship. The Chimney cap is the biggest eyesore in the neighborhood. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. In the attached photo you can see how off center the liner is.

Description of Work
Chimney liner and cap installed

Work Completed On 12/04/2020

Review for A-1 Affordable Construction - 164 Getty Avenue, Clifton, NJ - 39210272

01/12/2021

Luis M.

Unprofessional, unreliable, does follow schedule, does not provide updates on changes, does not return calls when they indicate that they will. Does not show up when they promise they will have someone on site for repairs. On warranty claims they take months to make repairs that are part of contracted warranty items. Work done on steps when first completed looked good but after 1 year they masonry work began to deteriorate and become a safety hazard.

Description of Work
Masonry work on front steps

Category masonry

Work Completed On 06/14/2014

We will revisit in the Spring to make warranty repairs. Customer has a 10 year warranty on the step rebuild from 6/2014. Masonry repairs are not recommended in weather under 40 degrees.

08/18/2020

Joseph T.

The crew arrived on time and completed the work the same day. They were very courteous and respectful and did an excellent job. They reviewed the work with me before they left and answered all of my questions.

Description of Work
Replaced flue pipe on furnace.

Work Completed On 08/17/2020

10/03/2019

Abhishek A.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL, EXTREMELY UNRELIABLE, EXTREMELY UNETHICAL, AND EXTREMELY DISHONEST. We had scheduled a "Sweep and Inspect" of our two chimneys, one of the things that were stipulated by the buyers of our home. A technician came, just looked for a few minutes and said that one of our chimneys needed work that would cost $4,200 and that the other chimney did not need such work. He said he would be able to certify the one chimney but not the other. Two weeks went by, we received nothing from them. It is now less than 5 days until the settlement of our home sale. Our sellers' agent and we called the company several times. The first few times they said that they have a record of the technician coming to our home but that they have no notes from him. Today after calling several times they finally came up with "notes" from the technician. All they could send us as a written document was a proposal for the $4,200 work that needed to be done for one of the fireplaces; they keep refusing to send us a document that shows that the other fireplace/chimney was inspected and that it did not need such work UNLESS we book their services for the proposed repair. The owner of the company called me made outrageous accusations against me and spoke with me in a very condescending rude way. Now the sale of my home is in significant jeopardy (all because this company refuses to give us a document for a service unless we book their services). Very rarely have I encountered this kind of unprofessionalism and dishonesty. My advice to you all- STAY AWAY FROM A1 AFFORDABLE.

Description of Work
Sweep and Inspect

Category chimney sweep

Work Completed On 09/12/2019

I find it quite interesting that you are calling my company unethical and dishonest because you want us to FALSIFY DOCUMENTS so that you can sell your home. A-1 Affordable WILL NOT, under any circumstance, provide inaccurate chimney evaluations. Your chimney simply CAN NOT be verified in its current condition

07/03/2019

RUSSELL M.

A-1 did a great job. They were helpful, explained everything fully and followed up on their work. They came to clean the chimney, saw it was damaged, showed me and explained what could be done. They were here the next day to fix all issues.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning and inner sleeve installation

Work Completed On 07/02/2019

01/22/2019

Rick M.

The crew that came to look at my chimney was respectful and explained all the work. They made sure to not make any sort of mess inside the house. I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Chimney Cleaning and Inspection

Work Completed On 01/22/2019

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to write a review on our company. It was our pleasure to not only service you but educate you on the service being provided. Happy to have you be a part of the A-[Member Information Removed] Affordable family! We are looking forward to servicing you in the future.

12/28/2018

Dawn C.

The customer service at A-1 Affordable Construction, Inc. is anything but what it promises to be. They installed my chimney sleeve on 7/18/18 and as of 12/28/18 it has yet to be inspected. Furthermore, the experiences I have had with trying to get it inspected have been infuriating in having to deal with people who seem like they do not know what they are doing. I have to constantly follow up with them and are constantly promised that I will hear back from them after they have spoken to my township (which they also keep referring to the wrong township) to schedule the inspection, but have never received a call back. In fact, I was even told that someone left me a voicemail, but I did not receive one. I was recently promised that after the holiday (Thanksgiving) they were going to contact the township to schedule and in that same conversation gave me a date of 12/28/18 between 1 and 5. I never received any call back to confirm so the day of I called them to confirm and they were so confused because they didn't have me down for any inspection. I was transferred to a person who once again referred to an incorrect township and confidently said she spoke to me last in November but just called my township yesterday 12/27/18 to schedule the inspection which is now scheduled for 1/24/18 which is 6 months after installation by the way. I in no way recommend this company. Save yourself the time and frustration and go with anybody else.

Description of Work
Chimney Sleeve Installed

Work Completed On 07/18/2018

Hi [Member Name Removed]: We have worked very hard together to get the permit issue resolved and hope you reconsider this review. Respectfully, Jessica Gufarotti

10/19/2018

Dan ..

The company was recommended from the plumber we use exclusively, Paul Wylan ,Proficient Plumbing, Brick. After Paul came to look at our issue, he made contact through Kirsten in their association and relayed George's (owner A-1) number to us. We contacted George on Monday evening and they came here the next day! They were able to do the work the following morning, but we opted to wait and they installed it on Thursday. As for the work, the installers were polite, quick, and cleaned up when they were done. They handle everything and their price was fair and includes all permits needed. To our surprise, a gentleman, Sal, called the following morning to check on how the install went and to see if we had any questions that needed to be answered. In summary, we would recommend this company!!

Description of Work
Chimney Liner Replacement

Work Completed On 10/18/2018

08/03/2018

Matthew L.

Very professional organization - Discovered an issue with my chimney and called the next morning. They scheduled a same day appointment and their dispatch center called within a half hour of the crew's arrival. They were most professional - this happened to be quite a complicated fix and they did it no problem. I'm quite confident a good number of other contractors would have found this job to be opportune to significantly increase the cost, but A-1 was a tremendous value. The crew left my home cleaner than they found it, and far safer after re-lining our chimney. I also like that they by default use a stainless steel chimney liner. Aluminum liners are no where near as durable and I didn't have to even ask to use stainless steel. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Chimney repair and lining

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 08/02/2018

I will be sure to share your review with my team! We strive to do our best with each and every customer and I am so glad that you were pleased with our chimney services and our honesty. If there is anything we can be of help with in the future, please let us know.

07/25/2018

Matthew S.

Very good workmanship and very professional.

Description of Work
Chimney repairs

Work Completed On 07/25/2018

07/05/2018

Margaret G.

Discovered a potentially serious condition - effluent not getting thru chimney, chimney was partially blocked. Called that day, person answered phone (not machine), and scheduled the work to be done that same day. Came on time, worked efficiently. Very pleased with responsiveness and efficiency. Will have them replace my roof chimney later this year.

Description of Work
Clean chimney, new liner/flue for chimney

Work Completed On 07/01/2018

05/08/2018

Matthew S.

EXCELLENT. A VERY THOROUGH INSPECTION AND CLEANING WITH RECOMMENDATIONS FOR WORK THAT NEEDED TO BE DONE. THERE QUOTE WAS REASONABLE AND THEY PERFORMED THE WORK IMMEDIATELY, EFFICIENTLY AND VERY PROFESSIONALLY. IN ADDITION, THEY WERE VERY POLITE AND FRINDSLY - A PLEASURE TO WORK WITH!

Description of Work
CHIMNEY CLEANING AND REPAIRS

Work Completed On 05/07/2018

10/27/2017

will C.

NO WAY I would pay $1,100 for diagnose the issue - I am very thankful that I had another chimney company to clean it up for only $300

Description of Work
Tried to diagnose the Chimney issue as the furnace safety kicked and it couldn't start. The service tech Philip did not do any work and provided a cost of $1,100 to just diagnose the issue because he told me that he was going to use a $6,000 camera equipment to check it

Category gutter cleaning

Work Completed On 10/27/2017

Upon making the appointment you mentioned that you had water coming in from the chimney and backing up into the exhaust. This is a very serious issue which could ultimately cause your heating appliances to cease. You were ALSO quoted a price of $675 to not only clean the chimney but also upgrade stove pipes, change manifold, and clean B-Vent. Please consider mentioning this in your review.

10/19/2017

William H.

They were great. Great communication. They came in a put in the correct liner, I have no complaints. They did an excellent job, they came right in and did the job.It was not a major job, but it was good.

Description of Work
Installed chimney liner.

Work Completed On 04/28/2017

I will be sure to share your review with my team! We strive to do our best with each and every customer and I am so glad that you were pleased with our roofing and chimney services. If there is anything we can be of help with in the future, please let us know.

06/08/2017

Christopher P.

Not exactly friendly. More importantly, told me they'd charge for me the estimate bc there are insurance claims. Our insurance company pays us directly, so we'd be writing the check to whichever roofing company we decide to go with. What a dumb business practice. They may have just lost out on a full roof replacement job as a result. If they're dumb with something like this, I'm glad they showed it before I hired them - who knows what their craftsmanship and ability to meet their budget/timelines are like!

Description of Work
Estimates for whole roof, and then two separate estimates for different sections of roof for two different insurance claims

01/31/2017

Edward D.

Excellent work- on time and very thorough job for reasonable price. They were very protective and cautious when cleaning was performed inside the house, using drop cloths and putting everything back that was moved to its original place when finished. They were very professional and honest. Other companies wanted me to purchase a new liner or coat my existing liner for more than $3000 and they said it wan't needed.

Description of Work
chimney cleaning and new crown on chimney

Work Completed On 01/25/2017

06/15/2016

Helen Q.

It went great. They installed my original liner almost 10 years ago and told me at the time to make sure I had it cleaned annually. I didn't do that ! So I finally called them after being telemarketed by another chimney company. This other company came out and said the liner was a mess, I needed a new one, etc. I dug out my old receipt from A-1 and sure enough they even wrote it on the receipt, to get it cleaned each year. So I called them to come look at it and they agreed that I needed to replace it. Which I did. They were professional and worked very clean. The price they quoted me was about $2000 less than the telemarketed chimney company quoted. So I went ahead and had them do it.

Description of Work
Replaced old stainless steel liner that I had neglected to keep clean. I have oil heat so chimney cleaning is important.

Work Completed On 06/14/2016

Thank you for your feedback. Your new stainless steel lining system includes a Lifetime warranty. We hope you continue with the annual chimney cleaning and inspections because oil's by-products of combustion can be very volatile and corrosive. I am glad we were able to assist.

12/30/2014

Matthias P.

very responsive in an emergency type situation; we were thankful they came quickly and seemed to have done the work well; big crew that was dedicated to getting the job done even though it was late at night, very cold and dark; work was done about a year ago but we are still waiting for contractor to schedule and complete the town inspection; unfortunately we paid virtually the whole amount when the work was performed so they have little financial incentive to get the inspection completed; if inspection had been scheduled and successfully performed/passed in a timely manner I would have rated quality and professionalism each A or B

Description of Work
Insert a chimney liner to properly vent furnace

Category gutter repair

Work Completed On 01/15/2014

09/30/2014

Evan N.

I called them because I found a flyer in the Valpak. A woman picked up and I said and quot;Hi, I'd like to set up an estimate for some work that needs to be done.and quot; At which point she just hung up. Not accidentally disconnected - which happens and I wouldn't hold against them - but I actually heard her hanging up the phone. That's pretty much where it ends. Shame that they pay money to Valpak and then throw away the leads it generates.

Description of Work
Hung up on me.

Category gutter repair