Merchantville Overhead Door

Founded 1936 • With Angi since June 2007

220 KAIGHNS AVE

Camden, NJ 08103

Merchantville & Philadelphia Overhead Door has been a family owned and operated business since 1936. We perform all of our own work with our full time employees. We are fully licensed and insured in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. We accept American Express, Visa, Master Card and Discover cards as well as checks and cash...

05/23/2016

Kimberly G.

Didn't use them

Description of Work
I called to get an estimate, but unfortunately they have no evening or weekend hours. The woman on the phone was nice and professional, but that doesn't help me get the service done.

11/02/2015

Ruth C.

Category garage doors

Thank you so much for the review. If there is anything we can do in the future we can do or if you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact myself or any member of our service team. Thank you, Ed Hermanns VP

03/02/2015

S G D.

The gentleman that answered the phone offered emergency service when I called, due to the severe weather that was forecasted. They still have not called me back.

Description of Work
I called them to repair my garage door.

02/09/2015

Santi R.

Could not even get a free quote or estimate... sent email with make model, etc called in measurement. Salesperson did not even know the company website and wanted to go over options that were already provided. then wanted argue about manual locks.. not to mention that I was already drop once because he needed to speak with him manager and his phone was dying and wasn't sure if charger was broken and charging the phone..

Description of Work
nothing.

06/13/2014

Cindy C.

They were prompt, professional and completed the job as promised. They are a little higher in price then other companies, but the service was great. Would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Replaced old garage door with new door.

Category garage doors

[member name removed], Thank you for the review, if there is anything we can do in the future we can do or if you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact myself or Mike. Thank you, Ed Hermanns VP

12/03/2013

Joseph M.

I first called Merchantville Overhead Door at the beginning of November. A salesman (Mike?) came out within 3 days at the appointed time. He spent time here going over all the various options and prices with me. Even though our door opening is a custom size, the price was still reasonable. I never felt any pressure to buy anything or any attempt to make me buy the most expensive product. He left the books with me so I could show everything to my husband before making any decisions. After we chose the door we wanted, the salesman came back to give me the contract and told me it would take around 3-4 weeks for the door to come in. We were called on November 26th to set up an installation date. Since we were going away for the holiday, we picked today 12/02. The installer (Steve) arrived on time and worked most of the day to install the door. He was very polite and cleaned up after himself, taking away the old door and tracks. The door is beautiful and really enhances the looks of our home. We are very pleased with it and with the service we received. I have used this company before in a previous house and would definitely recommend them. This was a very positive experience for us.

Description of Work
INSTALLED A NEW GARAGE DOOR.

06/26/2013

Connie B.

It was very good. He was prompt and did the job.

Description of Work
They put in a new openener for my garage door.

06/03/2013

Philip C.

Took a long time to get parts (not their fault). They were prompt and professional with the installation, polite and tidy. Stuck to the agreed up on price. Responsive to questions by phone or e-mail.

Description of Work
replaced pipe spring, repaired door slats, installed new motor

Category garage doors

Thank you very much for the review and I am please you are happy with the work performed. If you should have any questions please feel free to contact us at 1-800-446-9665, Mike's cell phone - 267-269-5493 or myself Ed Hermanns. If not in the office my cell phone is 609-680-1038. Thank you agin. Ed Hermanns

04/15/2013

Cindy C.

Great experience. Happy with the finished product. Would call them again!

Description of Work
We decided to have them install our new garage door because they had such a great rating. They came out for an estimate. We ordered a new garage door, opener, key pad and 2 remotes. I think the price was fair. It did take a little over 6 weeks for the door to come in, but it was worth the wait.

02/11/2013

John C.

The experience was excellent and everything about them is professional. I liked the installation, the people, the salesman and the people doing the job; everything. It was a clean install and I am very happy.

Description of Work
I used Merchantville Overhead Door for a new garage door.

01/30/2013

Shen S.

The company responded quickly to my call and was able to diagnose the problem immediately and do the repair the same day. The price was reasonable and the job was done well.

Description of Work
Garage door opening repair

12/19/2012

Marie S.

Overall, this was a positive experience. The installer was efficient, thorough and neat. He installed 2 doors,and a new garage door opener. Everything is in good working order and very quiet operation. We are very satisfied and the doors look beautiful. Be sure to use the discount coupon on Angie's List.

Description of Work
They came out the same day we called to give an estimate. Everything was measured very thoroughly and we found that our original garage doors (which came with the house) were the wrong size! This was explained to us in detail and we could see the problem. We accepted the estimate (after comparison shopping) and an order was placed for 2 garage doors. When the doors came in, they were installed 2 days later.

11/07/2012

Barbara F.

This was a positive experience from beginning to end. I was able to get an appointment for service within 24 hours. The serviceman came within the time frame that they told me he would be here. He was courteous and professional. The cost for the repair was very reasonable.

Description of Work
Repair of inoperative garage door.

11/06/2012

Ruth C.

Came the next day and resolved the broken garage door spring. Also recommended and installed a safety mechanism to prevent future dislidging. Very curteous, quick, excellent work. Will definitely call him again for any garage door problems. Reasonable prices, prompt, Highly recommened...Broken spring on the automatic garage door opener.

Description of Work
garage door opener spring broke , replaced the spring and also installed a safety device to prevent future spring flying off.

09/18/2012

marc F.

Excellent service, prompt and efficient repair at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
Adjusted and repaired automatic garage doors

08/27/2012

Jim G.

I called Merchantville Overhead Door Company on a Friday, and they scheduled an appointment for me on the following Monday. The service tech showed up on time, and I realized right away that the technician (Steve) knew what he was doing. He not only replaced the springs on my one garage door, but also pointed out why the other door was not closing properly. So basically, the service tech showed up on time, knew what he was doing, did his job well, cleaned up afterward, and offered suggestions for how to keep the doors running smoothly. He even showed me what I should use as a lubricant on the door rollers and how it should be applied. I was very impressed with his knowledge and the quality of his work. I really appreciate when a service company goes above and beyond what is originally required. I would definitely call this company back for any future garage door repairs or installations.

Description of Work
A spring on one of my garage doors snapped, so I needed it replaced. I had done this myself in the past, but I really wanted an experienced person to do it this time. Even though just one of the springs broke, you should always replace both springs at the same time. In addition, I had noticed for some time that the doors were not closing smoothly. In the end, the service tech replaced both springs on the one door and 4 sheave wheels on each of the doors. When he was done, the doors were operating smoothly and much more quietly than they had for quite some time.

07/13/2012

Lauren C.

When I first called I was directed to the local salesman Jeff who promptly called to set up an appointment to provide an estimate. Knowing we wanted the work done quickly before our house went up for sale, Jeff gave me several options for the door and capping around the door. We scheduled an installation date and the installer was friendly and worked hard, completing the job in just a couple of hours. I highly recommend this company and would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Installation of a new garage door

06/05/2012

DELORES J.

The garage door was stuck and they closed it. They came and did what they were supposed to do. Everything has been working well ever since.

Description of Work
I used Merchantville Overhead Door for garage door repair.

01/06/2012

Marco G.

I emailed Merchantville Overhead Door for an estimate and they responded back very quickly for the installation of the opener and reinforcing the garage door. I called up a few days later to schedule an appointment and spoke with Ed. I called on a Tuesday afternoon and they were there on Thursday morning. They were on time, worked efficiently and had everything cleaned up so well that it looks like they were not even there. The opener is securely hung and level. It operates beautifully and I cannot imagine a better done job.

Description of Work
I had purchased a garage door opener a few months back on sale, but I needed to get it installed since I do not trust myself.

12/29/2011

Coral Q.

It was a great experience. They were very professional and courteous. They were interested in saving me money, not spending money. The person created a part that would be helpful. Stated that if it didn't work, they would order a new one. It did work, so didn't have to order the new part.

Description of Work
They fixed two garage doors.

11/22/2011

Lidna P.

He explained to me what was going on with the door mechanism; said it was old and might break again despite his adjusting it. So far it's been fine. Told me I didn't have to replace the door, which is in good shape. I thought he did a great job and made me understand what the problem was, was very thorough and professional.

Description of Work
Fixed a garage door that wouldn't open and close properly.

06/14/2010

Kenneth E.

They did a very good job. I am the president of the board. The previous door was damaged. They removed it and installed a new one. They were highly efficient and they performed the work on time. I thought that they gave a fair price. We spent $750. There was just one little issue but they were still good. We will use this company in the future.

Description of Work
Merchantville Overhead Door installed the garage doors on our condo building within the last month.

02/16/2010

Mara F.

One of our garage doors wasn't closing properly - sometimes it would get stuck and other times it would close but not straight down (not flush with the ground). I called Merchantville Overhead Door based on other reviews, and the repairman said he could come that afternoon. As soon he walked into the garage and looked at the mechanism, he figured out what the problem was: old pulleys and no lubrication. He gave me a cost estimate and then took care of both doors in a matter of minutes; he also explained how to maintain the mechanism. I was pleased with the service and would use this company again.

Description of Work
Replaced pulleys; lubricated entire track.

02/05/2009

VALERIE S.

Overall it went well. My complaint is about the scheduling of the work. We scheduled the work to be done, but then I received a call on the Friday afternoon prior to the scheduled Monday that they had overbooked on Monday, could I move it to Tuesday? It ended up that I was able to change the day and they told me that they would arrive between 8:30 and 9:30. I received a call in the morning that the work was scheduled that they would be a little late because they had to pick up the openers. This work had been scheduled over a week in advance, why hadn't they thought of this a little sooner? The man who installed the openers arrived around 11:30 AM. Once he arrived, he was friendly, personable, and seemed to know what he was doing.

Description of Work
I had two garage door openers installed.

Category garage doors

WE ARE SORRY FOR THE SCHEDULING ISSUE. WE DID ASK IF WE COULD CHANGE THE DAY FROM MONDAY TO TUESDAY AND THE CUSTOMER SAID NO, SO WE LEFT THE DATE AS SCHEDULED FOR MONDAY. THE CUSTOMER LATER IN THE DAY CALLED BACK AND SAID IT WAS OK TO MOVE THE DATE. IF WE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM WE WOULD NOT HAVE CHANGED TO DATE.

06/01/2007

Margo K.

I was completely amazed that the cable replacement was free, I had no idea that was covered under the warranty. I appreciated how quickly they responded on the initial work and warranty work. I would recommend them to anybody for garage door repair work.

Description of Work
They replaced the stretch springs for our overhead garage door, and within three days of replacing that the cable snapped. They came out the very next day and replaced the cables free of charge.