Hargrove's Home Improvement

Founded 2005 • With Angi since October 2010

11009 Ward Rd

Whitakers, NC 27891

We are a family owned and operated business. We have over 25 years of experience. We offer up to a 20 % discount to all Angie's List member for any job over 300.00

09/12/2014

Gloria D.

A hurricane came through and I used him to do the repair roofing. Now two years later my roof is leaking. He now says he only has a one year warranty and will no longer do the work. My insurance company put up a lot of money for him to fix that roof. I think a roof should last longer than 2 years. My insurance company has already paid for this service and will not pay for it again, so finding someone to fix the roof and paying for it is on me.

Description of Work
He put on a new roof.

06/02/2014

darlene F.

Really fast, very good, have recommended to neighbor...everyone's very happy with the service.

Description of Work
Did plumbing for sinks. Called Friday, service provider came out same day. Fixed the switch on stove, did lots of painting, weather stripping on outside doors. They do everything!

Category handyman service, home builders

03/06/2014

Gwen M.

After setting a start date Mr. Hargrove failed to show up and sent someone who we never met to pick up the installment pay. He was not knowledgeable about the job he was contracted to do. The railings were not installed correctly in fact it was a safety issue - if leaned on one could possibly knock it over. Called several times requesting him to repair, made false promises. To correct the problem we hired someone else to correct the job.

Description of Work
Replaced 2 sections of railing to front porch and wrapped two columns.

11/10/2013

Diana Kaye C.

Estimated cost for bathroom was $575; final cost was $700 due to additional problems encountered with floor supports. Returned later to fix a buckle in the vinyl near the door. The bathroom floor looks good. Mr. Hargrove had some problems getting into the house because my renter was not always there and I live 150 miles away.

Description of Work
Installed vinyl floor-covering in bathroom; repaired supports under bathroom floor. Expected to repair a floor joist on the front porch, but did not get to it during the summer.

Category flooring contractor, roofing

10/08/2013

Elizabeth P.

Mr. Hargrove was extremely prompt and professional when first contacted to make a bid. His initial evaluation was thorough and his bid well itemized. There was additional damage found as wood from affected areas were removed, his team reported it immediately and the bid was adjusted accordingly. Mr. Hargrove was very intentional and deliberate about keeping in constant contact with us and all the monetary adjustments were very reasonable. His team was very responsive to questions and observations as the work was being done. Extra care was also taken to clean up after the work was completed. Though Mr. Hargrove was very professional in every other way, it would have been easier for us if they accepted major credit cards. Overall, we would whole-heartedly recommend Hargrove's Home Improvement and we thank Mr. Hargrove and his team for an extremely difficult job well done.

Description of Work
Mr. Hargrove and his team did extensive repairs on the exterior of our home which suffered from moisture damage. An exterior column was replaced, fascia wood and casings replaced and/or repaired, window frames rebuilt, roof repair and shingles replaced, exterior of home and deck powerwashed scraped and painted, and doors to backyard shed replaced.

10/02/2013

Tonia E.

Called 3 days before moving into new home. He came to the home on time. Provided professional opinion in a type of lock that would provide more security than a standard lock.

Description of Work
Changed all locks to my doors.

Category house painters, doors

09/03/2013

Elizabeth P.

Mr. Hargrove was the first to respond. He has made two trips to the property, provided very professional feedback, followed up in an extremely timely manner, and provided a well documented and affordable bid to complete the necessary repairs. We look forward to the work being started within the next couple of weeks. I am very grateful to Mr. Hargrove and his associates for what has been thus far their professional service which has exceeded our expectations.

Description of Work
We have extensive exterior repairs to be made on our home. These include roof repair, replacement of some exterior wood facia, and painting of all exterior trim. We contact several area contractors to evaluate the job and provide an estimate.

08/28/2013

Tonyia F.

Very nice owner and crew, BUT very very sloppy. We arrived one evening in a rain storm to see paint running off walls onto composite decking and wet paint brushes/rollers partially covered under a tarp also allowing paint to run onto deck. Was assured numerous times they could clean all the paint off with a pressure washer -WRONG. Hundreds of drips and spots all over deck and when they tried to pressure wash, the paint stayed but the top color layer of the composite deck was stripped off ruining the deck boards. Again, very very sloppy. Paint spots all over and they also splashed paint on a car 15 ft away and even painted over a wasp/mud dauber nest. Also, not confident they properly pressure washed and cleaned/bleached house. After numerous unanswered emails and phone calls, we are very disappointed and cannot recommend this contractor.

Description of Work
Paint house and garage

08/05/2013

Henry S.

The roof is still in great shape. They did the work in a single day.

Description of Work
New roof put on

Category roofing, replacement windows, house painters

07/03/2013

Linda G.

They were punctual and worked hard each day. They seemed very nice. They were responsive to our concerns. We're satisfied with the work they did. One minor concern: some paint drips on, our carport .

Description of Work
Repaired large hole in carport roof. Replaced some rotting boards around house. Painted the wood on brick home except for windows. Replaced significant portion of roof. Repaired water-damaged bedroom ceiling and did small repair to den ceiling.

06/25/2013

Daniel B.

They came out and did some roofing for us, as well as some ceiling repair. They also did some painting. They cut out out section on our ceiling and they replaced it. They then painted the ceiling and added the stippling ceiling touches. The job looked good when they finished and we were very pleased with the work.

Description of Work
See Below

06/16/2013

Shannon G.

Mr. Hargrove came on short notice and arrived promptly. He was courteous and professional. He did good quality work and even cleaned off the limbs and debris from our roof. I would definitely use him again!

Description of Work
Mr. Hargrove patched two places in my roof. One was a hole and the other was a crack in the plywood.

Category handyman service, roofing

06/05/2013

Todd B.

He showed up when he said he would, did what he said he was going to do and he did a fairly good job. He was neat and tidy.

Description of Work
We used Hargrove's Home Improvement when we moved into our house. They put a crawl space door on and hung a dryer vent hose so that it would be legal for the time being.

Category handyman service, doors

05/11/2013

Connie S.

Company need called back with an estimate.

Description of Work
Company was called to give and estimate on 2 decks.

Category decks, handyman service

01/23/2013

Barbara W.

I had a number of various home repairs, some of which were rather difficult--malfunctioning kitchen drawer slides, garage door/tracks that were not originally installed correctly several years ago, and a broken iron gate hinge that someone else had attempted to fix previously without success. These and other repairs were completed efficiently and effectively with expert results. I am very pleased with their work and my garage door opens/closes better than ever! James and his assistant were very courteous and I will definitely call them again when in need of home repair or improvement.

Description of Work
Home Repairs

12/30/2012

Kathryn C.

We did not use this contractor. My husband thought they were too far away (greater than 50 miles) from our location to give us a free estimate.

Description of Work

Thank you for contacting us, sorry that we were out of your area.

12/02/2012

Charles H.

Hargrove's did a good job of removing and replacing the roofing on my home. They arrived at the scheduled time and were completed in 2 days. They were not as organized at the start as I would have liked, ie not enough tarps to protect Heating and Air units and to control trash, but were efficient and steady so the work went well. Overall, I was satisfied with the job and would use Hargrove's again for any home improvements. The crew was pleasant to deal with and worked hard to make the job go smooth.

Description of Work
I repaired a bad spot on the roof of my home so I decided to get an estimate for replacing the shingles since they had been installed almost 20 years prior. I found Hargrove's on Angie's list and called to arrange for an estimate. Mr. Hargrove arrived the next day and completed a written estimate. We agreed on a price and dated for the job to be started.

Thank you (deleted member name).

11/30/2012

Gloria D.

He did a great job. I also appreciated his honesty.

Description of Work
Insurance took care of it. He put on a brand new roof. He also replaced some vinyl siding and fixed my porch. He also did some painting for me.

Category decks, roofing, siding

Thank you (deleted member name). Honesty is our policy.

11/30/2012

Bob T.

Mr. Hargrove was very responsive and professional. We contacted 2 other companies and never really got any response from either of them. Mr. Hargrove was on time for every meeting or contact, and never failed to return calls promptly. We agreed to pay half up front, and when we accidentally mis-dated the check, he drove about 45 minutes to meet us halfway to get him a new one, which he then used to buy the materials. During the second day of work on the roof, rain interrupted progress, and they covered up what was unfinished, to resume the following day, when they finished. They did a pretty good job of cleanup, which was made much more difficult by the amount of leaves that had fallen around the house - it would have been very hard to find the small fragments of shingles and nails all those leaves. I later was able to blow both the small scraps along with the leaves out of the plant beds and into the woods. I did find a few nails, but again it was nearly impossible to find them until the leaves were blown away. The work crew was polite and professional. I felt the price was a little higher than expected, but we did use high-grade stain-resistant shingles, and overall I felt the value received was good. The new roof has yet to experience rain, but it looks tight and solid and I do not anticipate any leaks. The shingles look good and are noticeably higher quality than the ones we replaced. Mr. Hargrove pointed out to me several places where they had applied extra sealant to ensure that vent joints and other potential sources of leaks were well-sealed and should not cause problems.

Description of Work
Removed 2 layers of shingles & tar paper, replaced with new 35 year stain resistant shingles. Also replaced a few torn shingles on a boathouse, and re-aligned a sagging gutter.

Thank you for contacting our company. Glad we could be of service to you and that you are satisfied.

11/01/2012

Lois H.

We initially called Mr Hargrove in August for an estimate on painting of the exterior trim, gutters, and around windows and doors, etc. on our two story brick house. We were very impressed with his punctual call return and his punctual arrival for an estimate. We needed the house pressure washed and scraped all around as the house had been neglected by the previous owners and needed serious work. We liked his plan and his estimate and we decided on the spot to hire him and his company as there were many other things that were also going to be needed and we thought "this was our guy for anything that we need" His crew showed up on the date and time specified and went to work immediately washing and scraping the exterior of the house. They also had to remove all the storm windows for proper scraping and painting. It was pretty hot, but his guys showed up every day and did a fantastic job. We were and still are VERY impressed with the job they did and would hire them again in a minute! During one particular nasty rain storm we noticed a serious leak in a couple of rooms and told James about it and he went right up on the roof and found where it had leaked and within the next few days, he had put on a new roof on that part of the house and it has not leaked since! And the new shutters they installed look great!! We have also had two of our neighbors stop by commenting on how good our house looks and wanted to know who did it and we happily gave them his number! We are new to this area and we feel very fortunate to have found James Hargrove and his home improvement company and definitely plan on using them again!!

Description of Work
Pressure washing and scraping the exterior facia, gutters and around the windows and doors of our two story house. Also included some wood repair and caulking of various windows. Painting of same areas. New downspouts and a partial new roof. Initially we requested that he paint the shutters, but they were not in good condition so we had James remove them and put up some new ones instead.

Category roofing, house painters

Thank you [member name removed], glad that we could be of service to you. It makes our job easier when you have good customers to work for. Thank you!

10/15/2012

Theodore K.

Unfortunately I live about 11 hours away from the house that required the work, and was unable to make any of the repairs myself. I turned to Angie's list to help find a reputable handyman to help out. Since I couldn't be around to look at the work myself, I wanted someone I could trust. Hargrove's had a great reputation, and quickly returned my calls. As Mr Hargrove went through the house, I spoke with him on the phone, and we agreed on what needed done. Mr Hargrove pointed out several things others hadn't noticed, so I asked him to fix those problems as well. Mr Hargrove was also very helpful in that he started work immediately, while my check was still in the mail. I was kept well-informed of the repairs that were being made. The only thing that got missed was some photos of the work; we talked about getting me some pictures, but I never got any The work was completed in a timely manner. Not being able to inspect the repairs myself, I asked the realtor to give me his opinion on the repairs. He said most of the repairs looked good. His main reservation was the carpet that was replaced; he stated that it didn't match the carpet that was already in the house very well, and that the whole room should have been replaced, as opposed to a patch. This is 3rd party information, and in fact I've never met the realtor in person either. So, regrettably this review is not of great value to someone looking for the specifics of the work done by Hargrove's. Since I haven't seen the work myself, I can't personally vouch for it being great or mediocre. However, I can offer specifics on interaction with Hargrove's. I do trust Hargrove's, the communication was good, and I would use them again if the need arises. I gave B-ratings for experience, price, and quality only because of the 3rd party review of the work. I would have liked to give A-ratings, but without being able to see before/after pictures, I felt uncomfortable with that. I'm certain this situation is not the norm for Hargrove's, where someone is trying to direct their efforts from many miles away. And admittedly it is not the simplest situation to deal with.

Description of Work
Performed some fix-ups on a house that was going on the market for sale. It was previously a rental, and needed some things fixed, like: some ceiling painting, wall painting, minor roof repair, and carpet replacement.

Category handyman service

Thank you for doing business with us.

09/08/2012

Connie H.

I called a total of 3 roofers to provide an initial consultation and quote. One did not return my call. The other did not show up as promised but called later to ask to come the following week. In the meantime, Hargrove had showed up as promised. After speaking with him and deciding his quote was acceptable, I informed the other roofer that I had chosen to go with someone else. On the day the repairs were scheduled to be made, Hargrove arrived as promised, bringing with him the sample of a shingle we had discussed during his first visit to consider when I'm ready to replace the roof (it is 22 years old). He had one assistant with him, and they finished all the repairs within two hours. I was impressed with Hargrove's punctuality, professionalism, and follow-through. He told me to call if the leaks continued, but so far they have not recurred. I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs roofing help.

Description of Work
Two leaks in roof, and one other small area -- perhaps 18" diameter - where the plywood had obviously weakened. One leak was near a ceiling fan, which required replacing a shingle and caulking around the vent. The second leak was apparently the result of improper installation of a section of shingles (nail holes were not sealed properly and over time they permitted water to seep through). Time will tell if Hargrove's patching will hold up. The weakened plywood required removal of a small section of shingles and the replacement of the rotted plywood underneath. The shingles were then replaced and it the repair is unnoticeable.

Thank you, glad you are satisfied with our services.

08/22/2012

Marshall F.

Mr. Hargrove is extremely professional and was very responsive to my requests. He seemed committed to doing fair and honest work. I recommend.

Description of Work
Deck / roof repair and paint.

06/28/2012

Doug S.

Fine work, prompt service, very fair price, pleasant and professional interpersonal experience. Satisfied in the extreme.

Description of Work
We had a crawlspace access door and doorframe replaced with pressure-treated lumber.

Category handyman service, roofing

Thank you, it was a pleasure doing business with you.

04/27/2012

E. Gayle S.

I can't say enough good things about James Hargrove and his crew. They worked very hard and were very professional. For the first time in 17 years I am feeling confident that perhaps my roof troubles are over. Even after my new second roof was installed, I had leakage at that skylight. I feel so confident that I am finally going to proceed with making the necessary repairs to the ceilings in my home. I do know that Mr. Hargrove warrants his work and if I have any problem, he will come back and fix it. I intend to have him and his crew come back on a yearly basis and check all the caulking and flashing areas on the roof hopefully to avoid any interior problems in the future.

Description of Work
Hargrove's Home Improvement spent two full days making repairs to my roof in three places which had had problems with water leaks for years. The first area was the skylight in my second floor master bath which had leaked so badly and so consistently over the years (even when no water came in the house) that the roof deck around it had rotted and had to be replaced. The second area was the flashing around my chimney which apparently had leaked and caused separation of the crown molding from the ceiling at the outside wall adjacent to the fireplace. This area had leaked in previous years, especially during hurricanes. The third area was the bay window in my kitchen which leaked like a sieve during Hurricane Irene and also during previous hurricanes. James Hargrove and two of his men repaired each of these three areas and did a much better job than has ever been done previously (I am on my second roof at this point--the house is now 17 years old; each roof was a "40" or "50" year roof). They replaced the rotted area of the roof deck around the skylight, inspected the skylight thoroughly caulking areas not previously caulked before, and installed an ice and water shield barrier on the deck around the skylight under the flashing and new shingles. For the chimney area, they observed a two inch gap between the roof deck and brick of the chimney. They installed an ice and water shield barrier on the roof deck around the chimney and lapped this shield onto the brick, covering the two inch gap. Then they installed shingles and flashing. After the flashing was complete, they came back and counterflashed using large pieces of metal which they secured into an etched area of the brick (the first time my brick has ever been etched). For the bay window in the kitchen, they removed the shingles and observed a one inch gap between the roof deck of the bay window roof and the brick on the house. They again installed ice and water shield on the whole small roof and put new shingles and flashing here as well. Again after the flashing was complete, they came back and counterflashed, with large pieces of metal fitted into etched areas of the brick. Another key addition was a drip edge--apparently omitted by my previous roofer--on this roof and on the bay window in the front livingroom.