Handyman Advantage

Founded 2003 • With Angi since June 2006

PO Box 80505

Raleigh, NC 27623

Locally owned and & operated. Additional fax - (919) 847-3151. Additional DBA - CB Reed LLC.

Jennifer K.
01/21/2016
Handyman Advantage was great. They were very responsive and worked hard to schedule the work in as timely a manner as possible. The owner (Brandon) and his team are professional, knowledgeable, courteous and friendly. They performed a wide variety of work, and the quality across-the-board was outstanding. They went out of their way to get the job done quickly, and without compromising quality.
Description of Work
Hung a multi-item organization system in our mudroom, painted two walls, pressure washed our deck and patio, stained portions of our deck, hung several items on the walls, installed two dimmer switches.
Category
electrician, handyman service, lighting, deck cleaning, pressure washing, home & garage organization, house painters, interior painters
James S.
10/07/2015
I made several phone calls and left vm with the company since I could never reach an actual human being on the other end of the phone. No response back from company after leaving contact info!
Lisa A.
10/02/2015
remodeling
Elizabeth B.
06/30/2015
They were very professional and did an excellent job! I would definitely trust them with other repairs in my house and look forward to using them again.
Description of Work
painted, repaired drywall
Category
drywall, handyman service, interior painters
Antonio B.
07/01/2014
Brandon was very helpful and friendly. My job wasn't complex so he scheduled someone to come out the following Monday while I was at work. Sure enough, the work was completed when I got home that day. Overall, a positive experience and no complaints on my end.
Description of Work
Fixed siding that had come loose on the side of the house.
Richard K.
03/20/2014
I had a very good experience with them. They are very punctual, professional, courteous and knowledgeable about their work. They also go an extra mile when required. However they are a little price high but it was worth it.
Description of Work
Handyman Advantage replaced a Defrost Timer in the refrigerator.
appliance repair
Lisa A.
02/20/2014
Arrived promptly and finished very quickly.
Description of Work
replaced back door and fram
handyman service, doors
Nitesh P.
01/20/2014
After getting a quote Friday we called the following Monday and scheduled some work to be done. He did a great job. I called a few months later for more work, but that particular handyman had moved away. I called the office again and got no response this time. I would have used them again I got another handyman to do the next service.
Description of Work
I called Handyman Advantage and they sent over a very night handyman asap.
Robin B.
09/25/2013
Charles is full of excuses and unprofessional. I'm surprised a person like this can stay in business.after jerking me around for a week and missing two scheduled appointment times, this guy sends me a text message saying I should look elsewhere for service.
Description of Work
Nothing
handyman service

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with this handyman, but Handyman Advantage does not have a Charles on staff, nor do we have a [member name removed] in our system. I believe that you have written this review under the wrong company's account. We would welcome the opportunity to earn your business but would appreciate it if you would withdraw this complaint as it was not our company that offended you.
Barb B.
12/31/2012
I found some wood root on my house that I thought I could fix myself but upon seeing the amount,and involvement of whole pieces of siding and going up the chimney and structural damage. I called for an estimate and Mr Reed was on time and gave me an estimate that I thought was reasonable. His workers were on time, very neat in their work and worked well as a team. This work included getting to the top of my chimney of a 2 story house with steep roof. As they went along in their work, they discovered more extensive water damage and Mr Reed returned to revise the estimate as I knew the work entailed much more than previously thought. They even had to eliminate a nest of ants who had found the rotted wood. I feel that the workers were excellent carpenters and made no mistakes in their measuring and cutting. I will use them again to wash and re-paint the house.
Description of Work
His workers replaced all rotted siding including rotted wood that was structural, caulked and painted the unpainted siding.
handyman service, siding
CANDY K.
03/11/2012
We did not have any work done by this company. Found the price to be very high for having a 220 line moved for a dryer, plus relocation of dryer vent and possible plumbing.Estimate did not include parts and was not separated out which did not allow us to pick the work that we needed/wanted done.
Description of Work
Requested an estimate to have 220 outlet for dryer relocated to adjacent wall, along with vent. And water lines if necessary.
dennis C.
03/06/2012
It started out good. In fact, the handyman showed up a day early for seeing what the job entailed. He promised a quick estimate. A few days went by and I received an e-mail estimate. It seemed reasonable and I called the office to accept the estimate. I was told the handyman would contact me to schedule a date. A week went by with no contact. I called the office and was told I must have "fallen through the cracks". A few days later I received an e-email with some suggested days. I responded with an e-mail selecting one of the days. On the selected day no one showed up. I thought I was being summarily ignored and called the office. I was told I was not on the schedule (I could have guessed that). However, I was allowed to select a time and date and was assured that the work really was scheduled. The handyman called me the same day to confirm the date and time. So things were looking up. Sure enough, on the scheduled day and time the handyman showed up with the material. Even though the weather was threatening to rain he completed the job. He was very professional and friendly. In my opinion his work was excellent. So all's well that ends well. I would hire these folks again but I would make sure that I communicated better.
Description of Work
Install a wooden railing around a small porch.
Yoko K.
03/02/2012
Jim showed up on time for estimate, and for the repair, and everything was done to our satisfaction. Pleasant experience. We will use them again.
Description of Work
I had a list of small jobs that needed to be done. The list included leaky faucet, stripped screw holes, re-caulking, re-installing missing screens throughout the house and making them secure, faucet missing screw, fix flapper on toilet and touch up paint.
Audrey S.
02/17/2012
I had punch list of repairs. Brandon and Brent came out and did a great job. It took a little longer than anticipated due to unforeseeen circumstances but Brandon was honest and forthright about it. They were professional and worked through a couple of items that took some extra effort and thought to find a solution for. I was very happy with their work and would definitely hire them again.
Description of Work
Added electrical outlet on wall behind fireplace so tv could sit on top of corner fireplace. Required fishing of wire through wall and subsequent sheetrock repair and painting. Added trim around fireplace and painted. Repaired rotted door jambs. Adjusted doors and replaced weather stripping. Swagged chandelier to center over kitchen table, requiring new wire and chain.
Category
drywall, electrician, handyman service, woodworking, interior painters, doors
Robert W.
11/03/2011
Very good work. Price is fair, but they charge a fuel surcharge which you don't see much anymore. With gas prices fairly stable, there's really no reason for it.
Description of Work
Repaired water damage to a window frame and painted exterior door.
Michael H.
10/28/2011
After our front door was broken in during a home invasion, we called Handyman Advantage, Tuesday evening, explained the situation and that we were going out of town for a week on Saturday. We were told they could try to work us in on Wednesday, so we stopped our search. Wednesday came and Brent showed up, said he didn't have any materials and would come back Friday. He did, however, make some repairs to the door to make it more secure and promised to email that night to set up an appointment for an exact time on Friday. Thursday afternoon, still no contact, called and left a voicemail. Called back on Friday morning, was told to expect Brent around 3pm, I took the day off work to be available. Got a phone call at 3pm (on a Friday) that "because it might rain" they wouldn't be available to come and fix the door. When I called the manager to express my unhappiness, the overall attitude was that since it was such a small job, it didn't matter if they flaked on a commitment. The owner even told me that I should feel gratitude they came out on Wednesday. I understand that tools can be ruined due to rain, but because of the lack of checking a weather report, or having a backup plan, or simple communication on Wednesday, Thursday or earlier on Friday I was left with a broken door and no chance of getting it fixed before leaving town. Because Handyman Advantage didn't fulfill their commitment, we were left hanging out to dry with no other option.
Description of Work
They were supposed to repair the front door jam and frame after it was kicked in during a home invasion. However, the only work done was the installation of 4, 3.5 inch screws with the promise of returning in 2 days to finish the job. Never returned.
handyman service

Handyman Advantage strives to provide quality customer service and workmanship on all jobs that we perform. Rarely, but unfortunately, we cannot meet all clients’ needs as quickly and efficiently as we would like. When we first spoke with this client on Wednesday morning and he explained his situation, we explained to him that we are typically booked out one week in advance, but that we did have a slot open that afternoon that had been saved for a job which had not yet been confirmed by another client. After confirming with the field manager that the time was still available, we booked the time for this job with the hopes that he could “stay and do” the work. We seldom purchase materials prior to an initial appointment as we do not know what the job will entail until we meet with the client and assess the work involved. Upon initial assessment of this job, our handyman felt he did not have enough time that afternoon to fully complete the job before going to a couple already-scheduled appointments, so he planned on returning Friday afternoon. He did however perform a temporary fix by re-securing the strike plate with long screws into the framing and actually making the door stronger than it was previously. The deadbolt had not been engaged at the time of the break-in so it was fully functional and therefore the door was actually completely secure, albeit the jamb was damaged. On Friday, the forecast for rain was 100 % and it was already raining in several areas as the time for the appointment approached. We certainly did not slight this client for having a small job as small jobs are a large part of what we do. In fact, we made the offer to come out on Saturday after the rain cleared out to perform the work after hours. Unfortunately, our handyman failed to communicate effectively and did not discuss the possibility of the rain delaying the job prior to the scheduled time, and with their vacation plans that made for a huge inconvenience, for which we apologize. I am not sure that we can say the service was provided here, as the job was not completed and no money exchanged hands- in fact there is no signed contract between us as that was to be provided at the time of the service. We did respond promptly to the initial call and provided a temporary repair on the spot for which the client did not pay for- we would have collected only after the job was completed and approved by the client. And we would still be happy to return to complete the job once the client returns from their vacation.
MICHAEL P.
09/30/2011
Awesome. Very timely response. And went above and beyond while they were onsite and during communications. They were running behind, but called.
Description of Work
Had the door knobs and dead bolts in the home replaced.
Frank A P.
06/21/2011
I've done business with them in the past and I've always been very pleased with them. I would recommend them. There was one man that did it and he was very capable. I would use them again in the future.
Description of Work
Handyman Advantage did some carpentry work for me last month. They built a wheel chair ramp for me.
Laura E.
04/13/2011
Brandon was very professional and did quality work. I'd hoped to spend less than I did, but my expectations may be unreasonably low.
Description of Work
Removed an old lamppost, installed a new one. Repaired a kitchen drawer. Hung a rack on the wall. Tightened screen door handle.
Tara T.
01/20/2011
They did a really good job. They were able to fix a problem that a previous company could not fix.
Description of Work
Handyman Advantage came out to fix my fridge.
appliance repair, handyman service
Bodil H.
12/05/2008
They were nice people and they did a good job. But I just didn t like how it was done. They did not put things back where they were and they charged for moving the debris. They put new wood in on the side of the house and they painted it and put one coat on and I told them to put another coat on so they did and it said on the painting label that it said that you had to wait 4 hours to put another coat on but they didn t want to wait because they didn't want to come back a second day but they did come back a week later.
Description of Work
Came and put some new siding on and painted the siding.
Category
handyman service, siding, house painters
RONALD M.
09/14/2007
Previous to this work, we were only able to access this attic through the garage by staircase, so this is such an improvement! We have used the service many times and always request the same gentleman. He is very professional and can do about anything! He charges by the job, not by the hour, excluding materials, then adds them to the final cost. This doorway went in with no surprises and very neatly. I highly recommend them.
Description of Work
They created a new doorway between my bedroom and an attic over the garage.
SUSANNE C.
07/09/2006
Micheal was extremely polite and friendly, and obviously knew what he was doing, unfortunately the first man that came to measure the windows had no idea what he was doing as he did not even remove the windows for the measurements. When Micheal got there three days prior to my having to close on the home, both windows did not fit and had to be special ordered, which ending up taking several addition weeks after I had moved out. They also requested payment without the work being completed, and then continued to call five minutes after faxing me the invoice to see when I would pay. It took them several weeks past the agreed time to get the work completed, but I was supposed to drop everything while at work and pay them immediately. I would never use this company again for any work I needed done.
Description of Work
I needed to have two windows, just the top panes replaced prior to closing on my old home so we could finish work as requested by the new buyers. The work was finally completed after several attempts to meet up with the new owners after closing, along with not measuring the windows correctly and having to reorder when they came to install them.
replacement windows
BILL B.
07/09/2006
I would not use this company. They rushed through the job. As soon as they determined they were done, they demanded immediate payment from my wife, who wrote them a check at that time. When I later inspected the work, I found it to be shoddy. I created a such list of items that needed to be corrected. Long story short: They never returned to correct items on the punch list. Once this company got our money, they were history. Do not use this company, they are unprofessional, unethical, and do subpar work.
Description of Work
This company installed crown molding, built shelving, and painted in our basement.
Category
handyman service, woodworking, interior painters

WE DID 2 JOBS FOR THE MEMBER IN 2005. THE ONE HE REFERS TO WAS COMPLETED ON 8/24/05. THE MEMBER GAVE US A CHECK UPON COMPLETION, AS PER OUR STANDARD TERMS. WE NEVER RECEIVED ANY COMPLAINT FROM THE MEMBER NOR DID WE GET A PUNCH LIST. IF WE HAD, WE WOULD HAVE BEEN GLAD TO RESOLVE ANY ISSUES THAT HE HAD. SINCE WE GUARANTEE OUR WORK FOR 3 YEARS, WE STILL WOULD BE HAPPY TO ADDRESS ANY AND ALL OF HIS COMPLAINTS. FRANKLY WE ARE PUZZLED WHY HE IS BRINGING THIS UP NOW, A YEAR AFTER THE WORK WAS DONE; INSTEAD OF CONTACTING US DIRECTLY RIGHT AFTER THE WORK WAS COMPLETED.
JANE & CLOVIS L.
06/15/2006
I HAVE HAD GREAT EXPERIENCES WITH THEM SO FAR. THEY ALWAYS SEEM TO SHOW UP ON TIME. THEY ARE REALLY EASY TO WORK WITH. THEY ALWAYS ACT POLITE AND RESPECTFUL.
Description of Work
THE COMPANY REPAIRED MY WATER TREATMENT SYSTEM BECAUSE IT WASN'T WORKING PROPERLY.
plumbing