Affordable Home Improvement

Founded 1995 • With Angi since February 2012

1311 Burningbush Ln

Raleigh, NC 27614

We offer a wide range of home improvement and repair services. Please visit us at www.affordablehomeimprovements.biz

04/27/2017

Cindy W.

The deck expansion is SEEMLESS!! It looks like it was always there. Matt was incredibly polite, every day before he left he cleaned everything up, he always kept me up to date on what he would be doing with an approximate completion time. I am blown away with how great everything looks!

Description of Work
We wanted to have a our deck expanded and for it not to look like an expansion. We also had some rotted trim that needed to be replaced / repaired

Category decks, handyman service, siding, deck cleaning, woodworking, house painters

10/31/2016

Linda N.

Awesome service. After contacting seegars fence company with no response I tried Affordable Home Improvement. It was the best decision I could've made. Matthew Gross is the best and I'll definitely use him

Description of Work
My fence blew down in a neighbors yard during Hurricane Matthew

Category fencing, woodworking

10/21/2014

Stephen W.

Matt was great. I had five estimates for renovating my kitchen and several of those contractors insisted I get rid of my cast-iron sink and install granite countertops and backsplash with a new under-mount sink, which I felt would have made my 60's era kitchen look like every other generic flip. Matt didn't question me when I told him I wanted to save the sink and install a beadboard backsplash and butcherblock countertops, instead he seemed excited about the project and quoted me a very fair price for the job. His work was excellent and I'm pleased with the results. In addition to performing the work in the estimate, he also suggested I install an additional cabinet, which really added to the look of the kitchen. He also installed a light fixture and some floor trim, and replaced my old plumbing pipes without any additional cost beyond parts. And he was very nice to my dog! I would recommend Affordable Home Improvement without hesitation.

Description of Work
Matt installed counter tops, a backsplash, a cabinet and a dishwasher. He also installed a light fixture and fixed some floor trim.

Category ceramic tile, countertops, electrician, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, marble & granite, home remodeling

08/30/2014

Pamela M.

They were fine. Good.

Description of Work
They did some repairs on my fence.

Category fencing

04/28/2014

Ryan B.

Punctuality is a C because of general time management issues which cause Matthew to string out projects way longer than they need to be. He arrived around noon on the first day of the job because he said his son was sick. He was a no show on the third day of the first week due to a broken water heater at an apartment that he has a contract to fulfill. Most days he would show up around 9:30 - 10:00 AM and then leave by 5:00 pm, he did stay later a few days after 5:00 pm and did come in to work for 6 hours on one Saturday to make up for several rainout days in the second week. A couple of days he arrived a bit earlier maybe around 9:00 am, and one day at 8:15 am. He said there were estimates that he had to give on the days he was later in the AM, so expect him to be later on days when he has estimates scheduled. I understand that "life" happens, and we gave him the benefit of any doubt, however, the job dragged out because of the time management issues. Responsiveness is a B because while he did respond to most of my requests and directions, he failed to follow my instructions to make sure that the window screens would fit the window frames before working on the repairs. He repaired 12 window screens before I found that just about none of them would fit the windows due to new brick molding being out of alignment (from a separate previous contractor) so while it was not his fault, I did tell him he needed to make sure they would fit before starting the re-screening work. He deducted $50 from the 12 screens since they did not fit. He did damage a gutter downspout that I had to point out and he was able to locate a perfect fit replacement which he took care of and paid for himself, showing a good service recovery in this issue. He did paint other surfaces that were not in the original quote for several door frames, painted a crawl space door, and the fascia below the decking on the front porch, and did not add any extra to the invoice for this work so we can call it even on the final price with the re-screen issues! A for affordable: In our case Matthew did not purchase the materials for the projects, so be prepared to have a credit card (CC) ready and expect several calls from places like Home Depot or Lowes Home Improvement so you can give them your CC information over the phone, Matthew will pick up the materials which is a nice option, and you will only have to pay for the cost of materials with no mark up so that is nice to know. However, stopping several times to answer the call from the stores and give out the CC information can be an annoyance for some! Then tracking down receipts is a chore too, but worth the work if you want to save on material cost. Just be sure to ask for any unused materials if you want to have them on hand for future use.

Description of Work
Hired Matthew to repair/replace rotten decking boards and balusters on front porch decking and back of house decking and restain all surfaces, and then scrap, seal, caulk, putty and paint all windows and then re-screen window screens that needed to be repaired and then reattached to windows.

Category decks, gutter repair, plumbing, roofing, screen repair, siding, water heater repair, replacement windows, deck cleaning, woodworking, doors

04/17/2014

Richard G.

Description of Work
I had them build a deck for me. They built the deck exactly as I requested. They addressed without question the couple of concerns that I had regarding the construction. This was not the lowest bid that I had, but they used dried treated lumber for the deck, and all of the structural members are rated for ground contact because they are close to the ground. The deck looks great. I would definitely use them again.

Category fencing, garage doors, gutter repair, insulation, siding, woodworking, basement remodeling

02/18/2014

Kate A.

Matt worked hard and was so attentive to every detail. He was very professional and even let us start to move in while he was finishing the floors. He used our pre-purchased materials like they were his own and we even had some material left over to return. The floors are gorgeous and each detail was done to perfection. He even helped us make a few decisions about some small details and lent us a few tools so we could hang our curtains more easily while he finished his work.

Description of Work
Installed 500 square feet of Pergo floors

Category flooring contractor

Thank you for such a great review! It was a pleasure doing business with you and I hope I can be of service in the future if needed. By the way, thanks again for the phone charger ;-)

02/10/2014

Lori S.

Matt came out to the house within 1-2 days of my inquiry. He was very detail oriented and was able to get me a quote within 24 hours via e-mail. He started the job a few days later than estimated. We also had a couple of days delay due to the winter snow/ice storm. His work was absolutely beautiful. He took great care to make the cuts to the tile fit perfectly around windowsills, fixtures, etc. My only and quot;complaintand quot; would be that he did not always come at the time he had specified. However, it was honestly a small issue compared to the wonderful work he did for such a great price. He has a great personality and was very personable. I would hire him again in a heartbeat!

Description of Work
Kitchen tile backsplash

Category woodworking

08/01/2013

Eileen B.

He was honest, prompt, and did good work. And had the best price.

Description of Work
Replaced window, railings, and kitchen.

Category electrician, home remodeling, house painters, doors

06/11/2013

Russell V.

The guy was great, he was fine and he did everything the way he was supposed to do. I have a couple of houses, I have bought windows before, and so I didn't need the soft sell, all I needed was a quote. It took him two hours for him to go through the demonstration and all that and I have heard it before. There was a precise difference between him and the other guys and he went into details that I already knew so I thought there should be some provision for veterans. We did decide to go with them and they will be installing the windows by the next week. They quoted $12000.

Description of Work
I got a quote from Affordable Home Improvement for windows. We had called them out to do insulation and windows but we did not have access to the attic so he just did windows.

Category insulation, replacement windows

04/24/2013

Pat E.

Missed first appointment for estimate. Called 3 days after estimate was promised said he was so busy with 'spring projects'. I had explained two of the jobs I wanted done needed to be completed before I had surgery (giving him more than three weeks lead time). Second promised date for the estimate came and went. Finally received estimate 4days later. The estimate stated that I was responsible for getting all paint (3 projects) he then went on to say that he had decided he shouldn't install 3 of the 5 ceiling fans that I had asked for. Now I am less than 2 weeks from surgery and no time to find someone else. Won't be calling him, after all he has all the business he needs...

Description of Work
None

Category remodeling

Unfortunately I never worked for this customer. If I had I'm sure she would have been pleased 😉

03/04/2013

Jennifer L.

Matthew came by to look at the work I needed done to my house. I was excited to work with him because I saw pictures of his previous jobs on his Facebook page so I felt confident that he would be able to do the job. He told me to give him a couple of days to work up a quote and he would email me with a quote. I waited a week and heard nothing. I called him, left a message with my email address again and my phone number and asked him to call me back. I heard nothing further from him.

Description of Work
I was looking for a contractor to re-flashing a gutter, repair a rotted wall and floor.

Category woodworking

I did send out an e-mail for this quote. I don't know why you did not receive it. Please contact me or I will call so we can touch base on this. Thank you, Matt

01/11/2013

Zahra A.

Their quote was too high but they sent it to me within two days. The process of getting a quote was easy because all you had to do was email them the specs, including the square footage and whether or not you are going to supply the materials. Their quote was pretty detailed but you also had to give them an idea of your budget. They sent a professional quote to me by email.

Description of Work
I got a quote from Affordable Home Improvement for remodeling my home.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

This customer has placed this review with the wrong company. I have never dealt with, nor given an estimate of any kind to the member. I will be sure to notify Angies list so that they can direct him to the company that provided him with this estimate. I do know of a couple contractors with a similar company name to mine within the triangle area. I hope the member is able to convey his experience to the proper company and wish him the best of luck.

01/03/2013

Pearl S.

The technician did very well and I could tell he was very experienced. They made a follow-up call to make sure the work was completed to my satisfaction, which I appreciated.

Description of Work
They repaired the drywall hole in my popcorn ceiling.

Category drywall

11/24/2012

LeAnne G.

He did a magnificent job. We are fairly picky when it comes to our home improvements and his attention to detail is second to none. He truly is an excellent jack of all home improvement trades!

Description of Work
Once again we used Matt to re-model our bathroom counter top, sink and plumbing.

Category ceramic tile, countertops, plumbing, woodworking, home remodeling

08/29/2012

LeAnne G.

Matt helped us choose our materials by meeting us at the building supply store a few times before we were ready to move forward. Once again he did a tremendous job with everything in our kitchen. He is very meticulous paying attention to detail down to the smallest pieces of trim. During the job he kept the work area neat and orderly allowing for an easy transition while getting the job done. Once again I would highly recommend affordable home improvement to anyone looking to get the job done right!

Description of Work
We used Matthew with Affordable home before for our deck and screen porch and he did such a great job that when we looked to remodel our kitchen we called him back. This job involved installing 12x12 floor tile, widening the doorway entrance to ourkitchen, lighting, a new oven vent hood and some trim and paint.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, lighting, woodworking, interior painters

08/25/2012

Pamela M.

see above information.

Description of Work
Matthew was supposed to come over to give estimates on three different occasions. He never called. After we called him, he said he was working "out of range" of his cell phone. He had MADE the appts....set the time, so whether or not he was "out of range" has nothing to do with not being at the appt. on time. He finally did make it after many phone calls to him. Gave a good, fair price, I thought. He was to come back this morning (august 2012) for final measurements to be sure it was exact and then we were going to place the order for the countertops.....had another appt. NO SHOW!!!!!! Called him, he was busy and out of range once again.....would be right there in 20 mins. 45 minutes later I had gone and he showed up. He was told not to come back. This is ridiculous. Punctuality is very important and so is my time!!!! All it takes is a phone call.....!!!!!!!! No, I would never use him.

Category countertops, woodworking

The client in this case is actually the adult daughter, whom I did meet with this morning, of the Angie's List member who posted this. Upon arrival, I apologized for running late, but had an emergency call for a leaking shut-off valve. I try my best to stay on schedule for all of my customers, but sometimes jobs can take longer than expected. I always call and keep an open line of communication with my customers, but in this case I was in an area that had no cell service. I did call as soon as I could get a signal to let the daughter know that I would be late. In no way, shape, or form have I ever been a "No Show." In fact, upon arriving to the clients house, the daughter informed me that her mom had become impatient and left. The daughter stated she actually still wanted me to do the work, but her mom would not buy the material now if she hired me. As for the miscommunication when initially setting up the estimate, I was in touch with the daughter via voicemail. When I was able to finally get in touch with her, she stated to me she had been having phone issues and apologized for not getting MY messages. In the meantime, the client's mother-and author of this review- had called me to complain that I had not responded when that was not the case at all. Upon meeting the client/daughter for the original estimate, we had a positive encounter and I was able to work out a very reasonable labor rate so that she would be able to get everything she wanted done. The daughter was a pleasure to work with and I had looked forward to completing the countertops in both the bathroom and kitchen for her. It is unfortunate that her mother would decide the quality of my work based on a missed voice message and a leaky water heater, and then turn around and write this failing review based on that!! In 15+ years of working as a professional carpenter, I have never had such a complaint. I think this is well-documented in the other reports found here on this website.

07/11/2012

Connie H.

Matthew returned my request for repair work promptly and gave me a free estimate for the work. I was concerned about someone willing to come to my area for such a small job, but not only did Matthew get the job done quickly, but it was very affordable. My bathroom looks better then before the plumber even had to put the hole in the wall because Matthew caulked and painted around the shower/tub as well as tightened the loose towell fixture. Not only did Matthew replace my crawlspace doorway, but he removed the old rotten door so I didn't even have to do any cleanup or disposal. I am so pleased with the quality of the work, how quickly it got done, and the pricing and I would definitely recommend Affordable Home Improvement.

Description of Work
Repaired drywall & painted hole in bathroom wall from plumber having to repair a broken interior pipe. Replaced rotten doorway access to house crawlspace & painted new doorway.

Category drywall, woodworking, interior painters, doors

04/04/2012

Eileen B.

Needed major repairs around house to prepare for selling. Called Matt after seeing his business on Angies list. Matt came over quickly and gave us a free estimate explaining exactly what needed to be done and how he would do it. We thought the estimate was very reasonable and I looked at his portfolio of past jobs which looked very good so we decided to hire Matt. And are we glad we did! Can't say enough about Matt. He is just a great guy and very honest and open about what needs to be done without quoting exorbitant prices. The job might have taken longer than originally thought but that had a lot to do with the weather and I also had other workman in here a few days to resurface our counter tops, which kind of threw off the schedule. Matt was trying to finish the flooring because he had to start a new job the next day so instead of putting it off he stayed until after 1:00 AM in the morning and I woke up to a new kitchen! Matt's communication was excellent. If he was running late or had to reschedule he called right away and explained so I could plan accordingly. Everything Matt did for us looks great! I'm so happy with my updated kitchen but now everything else looks so good I'm thinking of replacing or refacing the cabinets and will definitely call Matt for that. I can't recommend Matt enough. If you're on a budget and you want an honest hard working person to do the job right you have to call Matt.

Description of Work
Replaced and repaired and calked front porch and side porch railings. Replaced and repaired and calked one large window including water damaged floor and subfloor. Repaired kitchen ceiling. Laid down vinyl flooring in kitchen including calking and previous vinyl removal. Painted entire kitchen walls, including some calking. (We did the trim) Repaired toe kick under sink. May have missed something, he did so much.

Category decks, flooring contractor, handyman service, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

02/06/2012

LeAnne G.

HMatthew showed up for an estimate and we went over many ideas until we came to an agreement on something that would work for all of us.He handled all of the proper permitting with the city of raleigh. He was reliable and kept an open line of communication with us throughout the project, Working with us Working with us on minor detail changes as we went. Our experience was excellent throughout the project and we are extremely happy with the new addition to our home.He has since done many smaller projects for us, We would highly recommend affordable home improvement to anyone.

Description of Work
We had a screen porch a screen porch and deck addition built on to the back of the house.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, closet systems, countertops, decks, drywall, egress windows, fencing, flooring contractor, picture framing, garage doors, gutter repair, handyman service, remodeling, roofing, screen repair, siding, wallpaper removal, water damage restoration, water heater repair, replacement windows, deck cleaning, pressure washing, garage builders, skylights, woodworking, ceiling fans, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, sunrooms, basement remodeling, driveway gates