Chimneys Plus Inc

Founded 1988 • With Angi since June 2006

65 Moncure Pittsboro Rd

Pittsboro, NC 27312

Chimneys Plus, Inc offers comprehensive chimney cleaning and maintenance for homeowners. Additional services include restoration and repair of existing hearths and chimneys, sales and installation of woodstoves, fireplaces and gas logs. Chimneys Plus, Inc is dedicated to bringing the magic and

08/12/2020

Katherine J.

Excellent! Strange as it may sound, the visit from Chimneys Plus folks turned out to be the most enjoyable event of my week! Scheduling by phone was easy and quick... and Larry and Eric showed up on time, (wearing masks the whole time, which I appreciate during this pandemic), did a clean efficient job, spent the time to answer my questions and show me the views of the camera going up my chimney, teaching me a lot about the whole business, all the while being friendly not only to me but to my annoying barking little terriers. I really like, and trust, these guys! Thorough and neat and honest... didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need. I was told in advance what the cost of a chimney cleaning would be... no surprises. I will be using them for all my chimney/ fireplace/woodstove needs in the future, and highly recommend them to everyone.

Description of Work
chimney cleaning

10/09/2019

Andrea S.

The entire process was very smooth, and they get an A++++ for communication! This is one of the main reasons I selected them for the project. The salesperson, Nelson, could not have been more polite, informative, and patient in answering all of my questions. He really knows his stuff! Rodrigo and his team worked quickly and efficiently on the installation, taking special care not to trample any plants, and even blowing off our entire driveway in their cleanup process!! This company does things the way I wish all companies did. An excellent job, all the way through, at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
Needed gutters replaced and some gutters added

Category gutter repair

06/10/2019

Gregory E.

This is the third time over a 3 year period that I have Chimneys Plus, Inc service the gas fireplace or dryer in my home. The quality of the work, attention to every detail, competence and professionalism are simply outstanding. Doug and Craig arrived on time and completed the job in slightly over an hour. Everything was clean when they left. I received an emailed report with photographs describing what was done and possible needs in the future.

Description of Work
Periodic maintenance of fireplace / Trouble shooting of intermittent problem

Category gas logs

09/02/2018

Sherry G.

All went well. This company installed our gas log insert and did a great job. We followed the recommended maintenance and had them come out and inspect our insert. The guys were very pleasant, arrived on time, and cleaned our unit and tested before leaving. Also provided some helpful hints for operating the unit. Very pleased with the service.

Description of Work
Maintenance on gas log insert.

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

05/04/2018

Stephanie H.

Excellent Service. Were able to arrive earlier than scheduled, allowing me to leave earlier for work. Did a minor repair at no additional cost. Were attentive to details, gave me photos of the work, inside and out, and left my house perfectly clean. Very polite and friendly.

Description of Work
Fireplace cleaning

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps

01/08/2018

BETH J.

Our gas fireplace would go on, but then shut off after 10 minutes or so. When I called to schedule the service call, the next available date was over 3 weeks away. While I was disappointed I couldn't get someone out sooner, the company was clear in communicating with me about it. As it happened, snow on the day of our scheduled appointment prevented them from being able to come out, but they called promptly and offered to reschedule to the following Saturday, which worked for us. The day of the appointment, they called about 30 minutes in advance to confirm the exact time the technicians would arrive. Two technicians came out. One was more of a helper, who cleaned the glass fireplace cover and did some other checks. The main technician checked everything over, explained what the various parts were and why they might not be working. In our case, all that was required was to clean out the various interior components. The technician let the fireplace run for at least 20 minutes while he checked the exterior venting and wrote up a report, so we were confident the problem was taken care of. We received an electronic copy of the report of the work done, which included photographs of the fireplace, the monitoring equipment, and the exterior vent, along with explanations of everything that was checked/done. I appreciate the detail. We had been told in advance the cost of the service visit would be $225, and since no parts needed to be replaced, that is what the invoice was for. We paid with a check at the time of the visit (which had been explained as the preferred payment mechanism when I made the appointment). Scheduling was easy, communication with the office and technician was clear, the work was done efficiently. We will use this company again.

Description of Work
Gas fireplace wasn't working properly

Category fireplaces, gas logs

11/10/2016

Franklin T.

Good price based on another bid, on time, very professional, and the repairs took care of our problem.

Description of Work
Plugged leaks around flashing, sealed chipped brick, and sealed some mortar sites. Also, installed a chimney cap.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

09/13/2016

ANGELICA F.

On the day, everything seemed fine. To pull out the gas logs, the chimney would have to be brought up to code and the estimate was close to $8000. Pricey, but the technician explained what he would have to do and provided pictures of problem areas in my chimney that would need to be fixed. That was out of our budget, so we held off. However, just recently (8 months after Chimneys Plus) my wife and I noticed a really bad odor and called a wildlife specialist. There was a dead squirrel in the chimney, but the guy pulled out 10 other dead squirrels (10!) that had been in there for years (we've been in the house 18 months). I asked how that could be since we'd had the chimney cleaned and inspected and he said "You got scammed". He showed me the old squirrels, all of which were just skeletons or mummified remains. He said some of them might have been in there a decade. He said that they would have all smelled just as bad as the most recent one when they died, so if we hadn't smelled anything (which we hadn't), then they had all died before we bought the house. If my $225 for a cleaning and inspection didn't get the dead squirrels out of my chimney or a recommendation of a wildlife-proof cap, what did I pay for? If cleaning doesn't include removal of dead squirrels, at least give me a heads up that they're in there. ******UPDATE******** The owner of the company followed up with us and apologized. He explained why he thought the problem was missed and said that it would be included in future trainings. He also refunded the money for the cleaning. I appreciated his call and his professionalism.” We would like to change the grade from D to B+. We really appreciated the owner contacting us and his refund of the money.

Description of Work
About six months after moving into a new house, we wanted to see if we could remove old gas logs that were rusted and not up to code and go back to a wood burning fireplace. We got a cleaning and inspection, which we were told was necessary for the estimate. All good.

04/19/2016

Alexander C.

I contacted Chimney's Plus to get my chimney cleaned and inspected on an old house that we were renovating. They showed up on time, cleaned the chimney, and emailed the estimate on the repairs that evening. I got a second estimate from another very well-respected company, but was more comfortable with Chimneys Plus, and scheduled the repair work with them. We were rained out on the first scheduled date, but rescheduled quickly and painlessly. On the scheduled day, they called to say that they were running late because of traffic, but got to my house on time anyway. The three technicians went to work right away, and worked continuously until finished; about 6 hours in all. They cleaned up completely inside my house and out, and were gone in less time than they had estimated. I was very impressed by this company, and have no reservations about recommending them. They do quality work at a competitive price, and are VERY easy to work with.

Description of Work
Cleaned chimney, gave free estimate for repairs. Performed repairs and installed a chimney cap.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

12/13/2015

Paul S.

Install date started mediocre and got worse as time progressed. It was about 11am and I called Don to tell him about my concerns and he suggested I speak directly to the installers and call back if I had any concerns. I went out to speak with them and they were asleep, one in my driveway the other in the back of the truck. After some back forth, I had them remove all the gutters on the front of house #1, because of shoddy work and their inability to properly set the gutters on an angled surface with the "custom spacers" they quoted me. Later I had to have the head installer remove some drip edge, because he was putting it on crooked, which was apparently not visible from the roof where he was installing it. After a bit of trying to convince me it was ok, he came down and looked at it and realize I was right. There were a number of other issues that arose, like putting on the wrong bottom curved downspout pieces, not properly leveling the (~60' run) gutter on back of house #1, etc. They cut corners at every turn. E.g.: The downspouts are connected to the gutters without the appropriate connectors. They cut out a hole in the gutter and attached the downspouts to the triangle cutouts. Instead of using downspout bracket/mounts, they cut sections of downspout and used those, leave sharp edges all over the place. A lot of the drip edge that was installed was pieced together with what looks like scraps and is not level with the roof line. By the end of the second day I was so frustrated with the work being done, I just wanted them to leave. When I tried to pay the bill with my credit card, I was asked to pay by check. So I paid by check and the receipt that I received in email mentioned the ease of paying online. What!?!?! Anyhow, I would never use these folks again for anything. I had decided I wasn't going to write a review because there was much more bad than good to write in my review. But when I went out to put up my Christmas lights today, I got a good up close look at some of the lousy work that was done. Stay clear!!! UPDATE: I received a phone call from Charlie Quaile, the owner. We spoke at length about my issues and concerns. He came to my home and we got up on the ladder and created a check list of items. Within a couple of days, he had a crew back out to take care of all the items we discussed. He even threw in gutter guards for the second floor gutters. I have changed my mark from a D to a B, namely because the pricing is a bit high in my opinion and I'm averaging the followup work with the original work. It should be noted, however, that after working with Charlie and (this time) his "A Team", I feel much better about the company and the work than I originally had. I also remembered one of my golden rules: If I'm not satisfied, see the boss. For a number of personal reasons, I just settled and let things fester. I really should have gone back to speak with Charlie on when the job was first done.

Description of Work
Everything started out fantastic. The salesman worked around my schedule to come out and give me quotes for new gutters and downspouts on two houses. After getting a number of quotes, I decided on Gutter Solutions (chimneysplusgutters.com) for a number of reasons: 1) They seemed extremely profession and easy to work with. 2) Warranty was longer than others (10 years). 3) All my questions were answered in a positive manner and without seeming to be put out.

Category chimney sweep, gutter repair

10/27/2015

Nolan A.

They arrived punctually, were professional and quickly completed the job. We now have a "forever warranty" on the chimney cap.

Description of Work
Replaced chimney cap.

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

10/25/2015

Alex K.

This contractor was hired by my HOA even though I received a better quote from another highly rated chimney repair company. I requested the contractor to complete the work ASAP given the potential for water penetration in my corroded chase cover and the impending rain storms, they still took about a month before sending a crew to complete the work. As far as I can tell, everything was done accordingly although I cannot verify since I am not able to climb on top of the roof. Was very surprised that a professional company did not provide a report with photos of the job after it was completed. Most contractors I've worked with will debrief or at least show photos to document the quality of their work but with Chimneys Plus, you just have to trust they did it right. Not sure I would use them in the future.

Description of Work
Replace chase cover on the chimney and rotting trim

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

09/23/2015

Jan H.

A new propane gas fireplace unit was installed and the old one was removed. Both Casey and Larry were kind, helpful, and expert in doing this job. Casey suggested that I run the new unit for at least an hour while the weather was still good so the fumes from manufacturing could burn off. Since the upcoming weather is supposed to be cool, i'm taking the opportunity to do that right now so the house is not filled with fumes when I really need the gas fireplace on. Great folks, including Tony who came out and went through all the options for me in terms of which unit, and it's accessories, to buy.

Description of Work
Installation of new propane gas fireplace unit. Removed the old one.

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces, gas logs

07/19/2015

Kathryn A.

Ryan and Gary serviced my gas fireplace which had not worked for a couple of years. They cleaned everything, including the glass. It works and looks great. They also cleaned my dryer vent. This is not an easy job as the dryer vents out of the roof. They put down floor protection and left the house clean and put back together. I would use Chimney Plus again.

Description of Work
They serviced my gas fireplace and cleaned my dryer vent. These two services were a special price for summer customers.

06/18/2015

James S.

Had a leaking chimney that had not been used for over five years, so we decided to get a chimney sweep and inspection to see what could be done to make the chimney usable. They did a thorough job cleaning and left the area spotless afterwards, provided a fair estimate of work to be done and also helped to remove some debris near the chimney cap that was partially causing water to leak down the chimney.

Description of Work
Chimney sweep. Plus provided estimate for repairing the flu.

04/23/2015

Elizabeth H.

There wasn't much to clean since the fireplace hadn't been used for more than a year. After cleaning & inspection, they found problems. Their on-site estimate was less than $1,000; their emailed final estimate was over $4,000.This huge difference in cost estimation made it seem as though they were, maybe, trying to sell me something. I guess I expected a professional in this field to provide a more reliable estimate or to wait until returning to the office and putting all the info together. I found their prices to be higher than other similar businesses in the area, but they were recommended to me.

Description of Work
Before purchasing a home, I called for a chimney inspection and later requested a quote for a new chimney cap. A chimney cleaning is required for an inspection (this seems to be standard).

04/16/2015

Victor M.

Overall a very good experience with this company. Between needing to replace fascia boards before the gutters could be put in, a period of extremely rainy weather, and other scheduling issues, the project was delayed a lot, but the company kept us well informed throughout the process. The work was excellent and the product so far seems to be quite good. The only quibble we have is that it was not made clear to us that there are places where the gutter is not entirely closed, but rather has a screen across the gutter. It is possible for leaves to collect there, so the system appears to be not entirely free of the possibility of small leaves and pine needles collecting in the gutters. The company offered to clean those spots for us in the fall, but since it was toward the end of the season and the few leaves did not seem to be a problem then, we did not take them up on it. We will need to wait until next fall to know how well the system works, and we now understand that one must do SOME clearing of gutters, which was not clear to us when we signed the contract. The price was higher because of the gutter guards, but may be reasonable given the quality of the system. We did not do a lengthy investigation of pricing for comparable products.

Description of Work
Replaced the gutters with new wide gutters with Gorilla Guard and replaced downspouts in several places.

Category chimney sweep, gutter cleaning, gutter repair

04/14/2015

Nancy W.

The team arrived promptly, covered their shoes to protect floors, laid out mats from the entry to the fireplace, and set up to clean out the chimney. Along the way they explained the steps they would be doing. After the cleaning, they set up logs . While one of them was doing that, I asked if they could put up my CO detector. So the other one of the team went upstairs and installed it for me, using the old smoke detector platform. Their attitudes were positive and pleasant at all times. Great team!

Description of Work
Installed a gas log fireplace

03/07/2015

Katherine M.

Very pleased with them. The gentleman did a very nice job. They were prompt and very happy with them.

Description of Work
Squirrel had gotten into my house, needed someone to come to clean the leaves out and put chimney cap.

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

02/13/2015

James D.

This was an excellent experience. Chimneys Plus is my usual chimney sweep, but they also install wood stoves. We looked around for a decent price, and were stunned by the expense of Jotul and Vermont Castings stoves. CP installed a Buck model 74 insert for more than $1000.00 less than the other two brands. We're loving the stove. The installation was very well done, with great professionalism.

Description of Work
Installed wood stove, chimney sleeve and chimney cap

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

01/14/2015

Raymond V.

They did a good job. It went very well. There's only certain companies that are certified to fix gas fireplaces. There's not very many of them.

Description of Work
Our gas fireplace wasn't working and they had to replace a part.

Category fireplaces

01/10/2015

Valerie B.

It went pretty good. Overall, they were good but did have one concern. It was kind of serious too at the same time. The fellow who talks to you on the phone is much more experienced than the one they sent out. I guess a lot of companies do that. They've got a guy, the front man, who really knows the business inside and out and is very personable and then they sent a younger kid out, who meant well and tried stuff but made a few mistakes that thankfully I caught. When you're dealing with a fireplace it's important. Some of the framing had not been described properly to my framers. On starting it up, we turned a valve that turns out we shouldn't have turned. The gas man was like, "Oh, my gosh, it could have exploded the house." So, there was some concern there. Overall, they were responsive on the phone. It all turned out okay, in the end. Part of it I think was just dealing with some younger staff there. He also left a little bit of a mess. But, I'm not sure what other people would done either. I had a few different contractors involved. So, it gets messy. We don't know whose responsibility was what and so on. In the end, everything is fine. They arrived on time. Overall, they were pleasant. I think it was just that one guy who was out here was slightly inexperienced for what he was doing. But, they put in a lot of different types of systems and I don't think he had done this exact kind. If they're dealing with gas, he should have known not to turn this valve. I actually turned it, but he was with me. We were trying to figure out how to make it work. We realized that the installer had left this gas blocked off. That was because he was waiting for the inspector to check the pressure or something and we just went ahead and turned it on. But that coupling was not meant for that level of pressure. Anyway, it was something that he should have known about. Luckily nothing happened and everybody is fine.

Description of Work
I bought a direct vent fireplace from them and they installed it.

Category fireplaces

01/05/2015

Tim C.

I had a very good experience with Chimneys Plus. They were more expensive than other providers but very thorough in their inspection so I felt it was worth the price to have the confidence it was done right. There was no mess at all, in fact our house was cleaner afterwards since they cleaned dust from the corners of the fireplace. Would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Cleaned and inspected chimney

12/20/2014

Dana P.

Charlie came to assess and provide an estimate on some ideas we had for our gas fireplace. We were hoping to open it up so it is viewable on both sides, but he gave me valid reasons to not do this. Charlie is very knowledgable and helpful. He had really great suggestions, ideas and points on how our family could best use our previously unused fireplace. He also made a simple statement that sunk in with me. He basically stated that the fireplace is just a waste of wall space (for us, at least) if we aren't ever going to use it. We decided to convert the gas to wood burning, which they did a few days later. The guys who came were very professional and clean. The performed a through cleaning and inspection and easily capped the gas. We've been truly enjoying wood fires ever since then! Thank you Charlie and Chimneys Plus! We look forward to using Chimneys Plus in the future for cleanings and also are interested in having them over to check out our gutters.

Description of Work
Capped gas to existing fireplace to convert to wood burning.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces, gas logs

11/16/2014

Blair T.

A cleaning followed by video inspection. They checked from the cap to the firebox area and even unstuck damper that did not work. I thought the cleaning and inspection was a little pricey when I requested it, but It was so thorough and professionally done that it was a good value. I have had many cleanings done in the past and even use to clean my own when I had a wood stove. The inspector went over the complete results, made recommendations and provided an estimate for repairs. Let me add that this company was the only company that was willing to take measures to make sure that they got me scheduled before my due diligence period ran out on my contract on this house of the 4 companies that I contacted.

Description of Work
Cleaned and inspected prefab chimney

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Liberty Construction Llc

With over 25 years of professional Roofing experience and construction, Liberty Construction is dedicated to customer satisfaction. We are owner-operated, and pride ourselves on top-quality craftsmanship, using only the highest quality materials- no matter your budget. Our team of skilled technicians responds quickly to perform estimates, and work with you to create a customized solution to your roofing needs. We provide satellite view measurements, and quick turnaround time. Give us a call today to schedule your free consultation and estimate

Papale Exterior Services LLC

Papale Exterior Services LLC is dedicated to providing the best service possible to its customers! We are currently offering FREE ESTIMATES for our Gutter Cleaning Service. If you can't remember the last time you cleaned your gutters then it is probably time. Let the Pros at Papale Exterior Services LLC take care of you!

Window Genie of Durham & Chapel Hill

Window Genie cleans windows and much more! House washing, gutter cleaning, window tinting and chandelier cleaning are other services that we offer. We take pride in our work, and want you as a customer - not just another job! We want to build a relationship, and be your go-to partner in keeping your house clean and shiny!

Check, Visa, MasterCard

In addition to regular fireplace cleaning and chimney sweeping, our services include chimney caps, chase cover installation, chimney masonry repairs, flue and liner repairs as well as sales and installation of a wide variety of woodstoves, fireplaces and gas logs for your home. We offer a sales and service wide variety of brands like Buck Stoves, Jontul, Regency, Valor and Bellfires.

Visit our sister company Gutter Solutions for gutter repair, replacement and installation of our exclusive Gorilla Guard gutter covers!