Foreman’s Painting & Home Improvement

Founded 1990 • With Angi since May 2001

3.9

8900 Boyd Dr Ste D

Matthews, NC 28105

Foreman's Painting Company is a local family owned business comprised of 3 brothers and their father. For the past 25 years, the Foreman's have specialized in painting and home improvements. With 3 painting crews, 4 carpentry & home improvement crews and a pressure cleaning specialists, Foreman's

01/10/2021

Meaghan S.

After working with Foreman's Painting for twenty years we had always been pleased with their carpenter's work. We asked them to come to the same location they had before.This time dealing with Foreman's Painting was drastically different. Our messages were not returned. The one time they did call us all the information we had given them was asked again. We explained that someone would be home for the one week to meet with them. At the end of the week we received an email, not even a phone call.Stating we were too far out a surcharge would be added. Foreman themselves recommended we find someone else. Foreman's Painting stated they had a lot of work at this time. We definately got they impression they only want to accommodate people when their business is slow.

Description of Work
Look at a job and give an estimate.

Category contractors, roofing

07/13/2017

Gwen F.

They do excellent work and if there is a problem of any sort, they always make it right.

Description of Work
remodeling interior plus painting inside & out

Category remodeling, house painters, interior painters

06/30/2017

Dawn C.

Very well! This job took two days. The owner dropped by to make sure that things were in order. Very "professional, and customer oriented."

Description of Work
Repaired ceiling in family room, and kitchen. Interior painting of entrance/hall way to family room, including ceilings, dinette area and kitchen. Two walls up to 2nd floor and one bedroom.

Category drywall, interior painters

05/18/2017

Bob N.

Excellent communication with company and staff

Description of Work
Repair and refinishing if outdoor playhouse

06/14/2016

rosa C.

We had a good experience with Foreman's Painting. Both the carpentry and the paint crew were friendly and very patient explaining everything they would do and answering our questions. They were on time and professional and seemed to have a keen interest in doing their best work. We did have a couple of glitches but they were quickly resolved. First, there seemed to be confusion with the product for the exterior (paint vs stain) and resulting from that some miscommunication around the brand, That was quickly resolved to our satisfaction as soon as Mark Foreman got involved. My recommendation there would be to make any corrections on the contract promptly and if you are picky like me, be specific. Leave no 'either or' type sentences. Also, two of the ceiling boards on the extended porch roof appeared to be sagging. While one of the carpenters who came back to put on the roof tiles was able to nail them back, other seams began to sag shortly after. I sent Mark some pictures and it was resolved within a few days with the addition of some trim.

Description of Work
Replaced damaged or rotting cedar siding boards around house and chimney, extended roof on front porch by 6-8 feet, power washed, caulked and painted entire exterior.

Category contractors, siding, house painters

01/29/2016

Alan D.

always do what they say. cleanup was not as good as usual this time.

Description of Work
painting and woodrot repair

10/27/2015

Harry H.

This was the second time that Forman's painted our home. The first time it was a family only business and the experience was excellent. The second time not so much. Although the painters work for Forman"s, the quality of the work suffered. The painters left paint splatters and caulk on various parts of the house. I alerted the company owners regarding this problem and was told that they would talk to the painters. As the painters were leaving I asked the crew leader about the clean-up as I pointed to a paint spot on the brick. He responded by rubbing up the one spot and leaving. When we called about some of the interior painting they performed, they brought in an outside painter to repair the job. The deck was completed quickly, however, the wood used was of a very low grade and was wet. Consequently, as the wood dried out, it shrunk, twisted and pulled back at some of the joints. When I called they came and attached the some of the loose boards. When I called about the twisted boards they said that they did not guarantee the wood. It was in the contract. I was not aware of the low quality wood they were using for the deck. If I had been advised of this possible problem with the wood they used, I would have gladly paid for a better quality decking.

Description of Work
Repaired defective wood fascia, soffit and window sills on home and painted home. Removed wood decking and replaced same.

Category handyman service, roofing, siding, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

The splatters of paint and caulk on various parts of the house that the customer is referring to was actually old paint; if it were newer paint, it would have been easy to remove. If our painter had been able to remove the paint, he would have. As far as the wood on the deck - we only order high quality wood from Matthews Building Supply. It is very normal for pressure treated wood to be moist or wet. We do not warranty materials, we only warranty our labor. We have absolutely no control over wood warping. If the customer wanted better quality material, it would have been their responsibility to inform us before the work was completed. This particular job was completed 3 years ago. We feel that we have went above and beyond for this customer. It is very unfortunate that only member reviews are counted towards our grade and not the other wonderful reviews from non-members. Foreman's Painting & Home Improvements is family owned and have been in business for 25 years. We have an A+ rating with the BBB.

09/01/2015

DAVID T.

Great job! The workers were professional, competent and courteous. All work was performed in a timely manner and was done to a very high standard.

Description of Work
Repaired exterior wood damage. Painted interior and exterior of home.

Category woodworking, house painters, interior painters

06/10/2015

Gene K.

Very professional, high quality work.

Description of Work
Pressure wash deck and replaced rotted wood.

Category remodeling, roofing

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your business!!

04/22/2015

David L T.

Once all of materials were in place, the work was performed promptly,professionally, with attention to detail.

Description of Work
Following a water pipe leak, Nate remodeled and restored our master bath, tub,shower,and floor.

Category plumbing, remodeling, house painters

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your business!!

01/05/2015

DAVID W.

Overall it .went pretty well. Some spots were missed that were later covered after walk-around inspections. Some homeowner complaints about sloppy work and windows painted shut, but most homeowners were satisfied. There was a lot of interaction between Foreman and the association board during the project. In general the Foreman project manager was available and very responsive to any problems or complaints. Foreman was not the lowest bidder, but was chosen because of their reputation and the fact that they carried liability and workman's compensation insurance.

Description of Work
Cleaned, repaired and applied two coats of paint all exterior wood trim on 43 townhouse units

12/29/2014

Ashby W.

Quality work. Professional crew. Responsive to requests. I have confidence in Mark Foreman and his crew to start and complete on-time, and I have confidence the job will be well done.

Description of Work
Exterior trim: prep and paint with exterior latex.

Category house painters

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! We appreciate your business!! Have a Happy New Year!

12/22/2014

Howard P.

First, we have used Foreman's for 20 years on multiple houses where we have lived. We dealt primarily with Mark in years past. They painted our current house in 1999 when we first moved in that summer and have since done both exterior and interior work for us at this location. This project was a lot of work. Mark is in charge of paint and Nate is in charge of carpentry. Both came out to inspect the proposed work and gave very fair quotes. We added more work along the way, starting with a $13k project and ultimately ending with a 18K+ finished. All approved along the way. The carpentry work involved replacing many sections of siding and buytl caulking EVERYTHING. We have VERTICAL lap siding, which is a maintenance nightmare. Nate and crew replaced at least 60 pieces of siding. Because the house was built in 1978, there was not a direct replacement with the same grain. Nate determined how to slightly plane contemporary cedar siding to match (you can't even tell). They did numerous other carpentry repairs in preparation for the paint and deck restore by Mark's crew. The one thing I did that I feel home owners fail to do is that I plainly articulated my wishes and expectations, my understanding that unexpected items may be found in the course of the repairs and that I expected to pay for any unanticipated findings. Further, that I wanted them to do the work on my house as though it was their house; in that if any other repairs were needed, just tell me and the approximate cost, but that it would be approved. We each understood the expectations and budget considerations. (this is why some of the reviews trouble me on here) When the paint crew arrived, they finished buytl caulking EVERYTHING; siding seams, trim, windows and anywhere water might ever creep into this all frame structure. It was a huge amount of expensive caulk (not latex caulk). The house painting and trim went very smoothly, so not much to report other than a great, professional job. We used Sherwin Williams Duration Paint at a considerable extra cost and includes a FCP 6 year warranty. It looks great. Our deck is 900 square feet just on the floor, but has built-in seating, adjustable vertical privacy louvers by the (former hot tub area) and is 1-5 feet off the ground with two sets of stairs to the yard, so has lattice all around the outside of the deck. We had them to use Rustoleum 10x Deck Restore on all of the deck top surfaces and matching Behr on all else . Then it rained before drying. Much of the deck had to be re-coated. With this project beginning in August and not complete until mid-December, we had numerous weather related complications and stoppages, which Foreman's absorbed the re-do work (without us asking) and were patient with mother nature. Not once did they ask for any funds in advance. Once the weather cooperated, they finished the deck, front porch, screened in back porch and shop porch. This part of the job "ate their lunch". Not a grumble once from Mark. We also had them to replace 9 Wenco casement sashes. They had to be custom made because Wenco is out of business. The windows took a couple months to make, but when they arrived were made with Mahogany (the original were pine). We have 33 windows in-total and may replace about 10 more sashes next year. Nate was a true expert in fitting these windows in a house that has settled since 1978. The price was the same as another vendor that didn't want to paint and stain the windows. For the same price, Foreman's did a turnkey installation of the sashes. We couldn't be more satisfied. There are too many details to outline, except to say that Mark and Nate worked hard to be sure we were happy. We are and plan to continue our 20 year tradition of calling Foreman's. BTW, Foreman's quotes were significantly less than two other Angie's List contractors I had quote the work. I can't imagine the work being better, much less worth the $30k quoted by one vendor. I highly recommend Foreman's. Be detailed in your needs/expectations. Make sure they understand what you expect and you won't be disappointed. Communication is key in any business transactions. Thank you Mark, Nate and your crews.

Description of Work
Extensive exterior carpentry repairs, painting of exterior house, shop and deck restore. Replaced 9 casement window sashes that had to be custom made. Installed stained crown molding in living room.

Category ceramic tile, plumbing, siding, woodworking, house painters

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! We appreciate your business!! Have A Happy New Year!

07/15/2014

Kimberly H.

It was a good price. They did a good job. I worked with them before and they've always done a good job. They were good about going over it afterwards and making sure I liked everything and everything has been done properly. I think that they've got it down to a chain and they're pretty good with that. I don't know if there's a whole lot they could do to improve their services.

Description of Work
I hired Foremans Painting. They replaced some siding in the outside of the house and they built a doorway for me.

Category siding

Apologies for the late response, but thank you for such an awesome review Kimberly! We appreciate your business! And wish you a Merry Christmas!!

06/17/2014

Melinda R.

They did a great job. Their price was good. Other companies were much higher.

Description of Work
They painted the entire interior of my home.

Category interior painters

Apologies for the late response (removed member name). We appreciate your business & thank you for such a kind review.

06/17/2014

DOUGLAS M.

After having to take time off of work to meet them at my home, they never showed. After 5 attempts to contact them, when someone finally responded, they offered no apology or explanation. I asked (naïvely) if maybe the person was just delayed and when I could expect them to arrive; the lady just replied "oh, he's not coming." When I explained I had to take time off of work to be there, she said "well I guess you should reschedule then." No remorse and it was clear she couldn't have possibly cared any less. AVOID this business that is unprofessional and rude. Not sure how they've stayed in business this long...

Description of Work
They never got to provide any service because they never showed for any appointment. How they are still in business in this economy is a mystery.

Category house painters

We have never heard of this person ([member name removed]) or spoke with him. He is making false claims about our company and this should be removed from Angie's List due to his false accusations!

06/13/2014

Harry H.

The work was done poorly, and we have had nothing but problems with the completed work. For example , they tore the screening that they replaced, the boards on the new deck have warped, and we can not finish the project, the screen door they hung does not close and worst of all the interior painting of the bathrooms (walls, ceiling, and cabinets) immediately began to chip and peel. After numerous attempts to get the problems resolved, they finally responded. They repaired the screening and replaced the boards, etc. However, other boards are cupping and warping. The bathrooms were redone (he Behr rep said they had used improper paint). However, the ceilings are once again cracking in both bathrooms. We've never had problems with the paint flaking and cracking in the bathrooms in the 20 years we have lived in our house. My husband and I feel that the quality of the work done was minimal. I have recently attempted to get them back to look at the issues we are having. After 4 attempts in 2 weeks to get a response, I received an email informing me there is no warranty on carpentry work (deck) and my bathroom ceiling issues were due to moisture problems in my house. They were not responsible for the problems.

Description of Work
The provider painted the exterior of my brick house as well as 2 bathrooms. They also painted the cabinets in the bathroom and removed the popcorn ceilings in one of the bathrooms. They replaced our decking and rescreened our porch.

Category house painters

When we were notified about the problem the {removed member name} were experiencing with their ceiling we promptly resurfaced the entire ceiling, which we did not have to do. We even had a product specialist inspect their home and he verified the home has a moisture problem. We recommended the {removed member name} install proper exhaust fans in their home and they refused. They continue to blame our company for issues due to the structure problems on their home and now they choose to slander our company. Per our contract we do not warranty carpentry repairs due to it being impossible because of weather conditions. We were never notified this at the time we performed the work which was last year. This is clearly stated in our contract that we give customers which they have to approve before we perform any work on their home. Also, we were not notified about their screen door until a few weeks ago which is strange since the work was done close to over a year ago. Since we were at their home more than one occasion you would think they would have made us aware of this issue prior to just now.

11/18/2013

Jason K.

Foreman's Painting says they have a warranty of 5years on the paint and workmanship. We paid them about $47500 on the paint job. Plus $11000 for the carpentry work. Also their was a contract dispute in which we paid them $10000 to get out of a vague and controversial contract. Knowing what we know now we should have never paid for the contract dispute due to Foreman's breach of contract regarding the quality. There are 2 possible resolutions: A total refund of all our money. Or Fulfillment of their warranty work. That includes fixing the rotten/ damaged wood, proper caulking, surface preparation and reapplication of paint on all 4 buildings.

Description of Work
On about 5/12/12 Foreman's Painting was contracted to paint and do wood rot replacement on 4 buildings of the Hunter's Run Condo Community. The quality is such that all the building need to be redone due to improper surface perpetration and or paint application. Now at just over 1 year of completion the paint is cracking, pealing, flaking and in general very low quality. Also found was more rotten / damaged wood especially since the paint job is falling.

Category woodworking, house painters

These problems were not covered by our warranty. The problem was not the painters/paint, the problem is with the siding. The siding is deteriorating due to the age of the buildings. The buildings that were painted by another contractor are showing the same issues to indicate that its not a workmanship issue but an issue with the siding. We have had several different paint reps go to inspect the buildings, and they all came to the same conclusion that it is the siding that is causing the paint to let loose. Wood fibers are actually visible on the back of the loose paint, which shows that the paint adhered, but the siding is failing. Our attorney is currently working with Hunter's Run to try resolve their issues. Foreman's Painting stands by their warranty and will always do so.

07/25/2013

EMILY & BOB L.

They could not have been worse. They sent out people who are not trained. They painted over the old paint, they did not scrape or sand. We had to redo the job. We didn't want to give them a final payment or have them back out. They would not give us any money back. They threatened to put a lean on our house. I advise anyone to stay away from them.

Description of Work
They painted the whole exterior of the house.

Category house painters

This customer was looking to do a complete restoration on the exterior of the house. The customer didn't let us know up front that is what they were expecting. Foreman's Painting does not do restoration work. There was no way to do a restoration job on the house for what we quoted. Had we known what they were looking for, we would have let them know that our company does not do restoration work. We completed the job per contract; in turn, we expect to get paid.

05/30/2013

Prudence W.

Most of the work had to be repeated 2 - 3 times

Description of Work
The provider was hired to do caulking, exterior and interior painting, sheetrock repair and some wood and window replacement

Category drywall, handyman service, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

Part of the work that was involved was removing popcorn from the textured ceilings. It is difficult to get a ceiling to look completely smooth again and therefore will take several trips to redo the areas that still need attention. A lot of times you don't realize that it needs to be fixed until after its painted. Its just part of the work, that might need a little more finesse. We never knew that this customer had an issue with our work, until we read it on here.

03/14/2013

Diana C.

He was not hired, since he did not respond

Description of Work
They agreed to do an estimate very quickly, the owner said he was on the road going away from our house when he received the call, and he said he turned right around. After we received the estimate on line we left him a msg. to call us back and did not hear from him. I called him a second time and told him i wanted to discuss the estimate and to please call us, but once again he did not.

Category interior painters

It was not our intention to not respond to the customer.

07/18/2012

PAT & HUGH M.

Worked through my HOA to have rotted sheathing repaired and roof leak repaired. The two guys exceeded expectations. They showed up to make simple repair to leaking shingle. Found rotted sheathing. Cut out bad section of sheathing, Went to hardware to purchase needed materials. Cut and installed new bracing and sheathing. Reshingled. Found a few more potential leak spots on other shingles and added proper tar/caulk.

Description of Work
Repaired roof sheathing and patched holes in shingles.

09/22/2011

John C.

Work was done in good time. They had to redo some minor things, but overall an ok job. I have since found a better company for exterior siding and painting (Painting and Moore).

Description of Work
Replaced some rotten siding.

Category siding

12/09/2010

Debi H.

They revised it a week ago based on my needs. The estimate was for $6000. I have used them before. The estimate was very thorough. I am yet to make a decision regarding using them. I will use them in the future.

Description of Work
Foreman’s Painting Co. gave me an estimate, a few weeks ago. The estimate was for painting and repairs for my home.

11/03/2009

Sandra S.

Foreman uses sub-contractors and this keeps the price down, but the quality of the work varies depending on who shows up. Last time it was excellent. This time not. I had to go back and point out spots on the floor that needed to be cleaned up, paint on door handles and furniture, and improper prep work. The worker did go back and redo spots I pointed out. Not the quality I'd expect from a professional.

Description of Work
Touched up wood baseboards and trim by applying one coat of matching paint. Mudded crack and repainted in wall with one coat.

Category house painters, interior painters