Artistic Design Landscapes

Founded 2007 • With Angi since May 2011

323 Brookdale Pl NW

Lenoir, NC 28645

We are a growing Small Business with over 26 years experience and we strive for customer satisfaction. All services offered throughout the entire area of Hickory, Morganton, Lenoir, Blowing Rock, and Boone NC. Our Mission is to provide our clients with the highest quality landscaping, lighting and maintenance services in the industry, implementing services with timeliness, honesty, integrity and the unwavering commitment to that old-fashioned idea that the job is not finished until it's done right. Today, with Artistic Design Landscape's skilled and dedicated team, we work hard to find creative ways to give the best value to every client. We understand your lawn and landscape is an investment, and we work closely with you throughout the process to ensure we find affordable solutions to meet your needs....

07/01/2020

Debi M.

I was never contacted at all and it's been around a week since I asked to be contacted.

Description of Work
drainage, leveling of land, add gravel

Category concrete repair, hardscaping

10/05/2018

cary D.

It did not! Called NO answer. No voice mail no anything!

Description of Work
landscaping

11/30/2016

Monty C.

Paul designed the solution and brought his team in to make it a reality. Intense attention to detail! All three projects turned out wonderfully. They clean up every day leaving your property liveable even though under construction. Quality tradesman!

Description of Work
Built and landscaped a pair of gate entrance walls. Built and landscaped a walkway from our driveway to our home. Built a firepit area, steps and an entertainment area with a seating wall.

Category hardscaping

11/29/2016

Joe C.

They mow my yard when it needs mowed. They say we will be out next week and then they come sometime the next week. They do excellent work and they are nice guys.

Description of Work
Full fertilizing, aerating and reseeding.

Category landscaping, lawn treatment

02/05/2016

Warren B.

First let me say that I am adding this review 15 months after the work was done because I became an Angie's List subscriber, for the first time, today. I was looking for a cleaning service and remembered ADL was with AL. Paul (owner) is obviously a professional artisan at his craft and polite. Very knowledgeable and had great insight into what 'my idea of what I wanted' was and how to develop it. His team was also skilled and nice. If I needed landscape/hardscape type of work again, I'd hire'em in a heartbeat!!

Description of Work
Repaired an existing paver sidewalk that was sinking. Installed a paver border with lighting around my big circular driveway and added a side door paver sidewalk.

Category concrete repair, landscaping, lighting, hardscaping

04/21/2015

Angie J.

The crew was very polite and professional. The drain is working great, we just had a week of rain and no issues. The rock work and design over the drain looks very good.

Description of Work
Installed a French drain and landscaped it.

Category landscaping, drain pipe

02/08/2015

Greg S.

Paul was very customer oriented, meeting onsite and listening to what was wanted. He presented a detailed estimate within two weeks and set my expectation on when he could start. He started on time and finished with minimal days onsite even after encountering an issue. His team was professional and very hard working which I attribute to their ability to complete the task in a difficult terrain setting and in a short time frame. Throughout the process, Paul and his team communicated extremely well. The one day that the team did take off during the project was for training by one of their suppliers. This furthered strengthen my observation that Paul brought quality professionals to the job site.

Description of Work
We had two patios built with a transitioning stairs / path between them. Retaining walls were required and a 5 foot fire pit was also built on the lower patio. We also had a matching retaining wall built across the front of the cabin.

Category landscaping, hardscaping, patios

12/02/2014

Melinda A.

We have been using Artistic Design for several months now for multiple jobs. Not only do they take care of our weekly yard work but they have done an awesome job at turning our property into a true showcase. They took my husband's vision and expanded on it to make a true relaxing oasis. Everyone is very professional, friendly and very knowledgeable. We have tried other landscape providers in our area but Artistic Design is the best we have ever dealt with.

Category landscaping, lawn service

10/20/2014

Robin W.

I have dealt with several contractors in the past 5 years and I was beginning to wonder if there was a contactor out there that took prided in their work. Paul and his crew were professional in every way. They did outstanding work. My faith has come back. You may pay a little more but in the end, it is worth it. Paul took his time with me in the planning process to come up with the best design for the back yard. He kept in touch on when he was coming and what they hoped to complete that day. The crew worked no stop. They respected my property and answered any questions, which I might have at that moment. The workmanship was outstanding. I added the fire pit at the last minute and they were able to make those changes immediately. It has been 2 months and I notice that I had some standing water in some areas of the patio. Paul came over with his crew, took a 2 x 4 x 8 board and went over the entire area to make sure that all of the pavers were level. I know longer have that issue. I even asked him to put a wall around my garden, he went out of his way to bring the bricks, and did a two tier wall on the garden on that day as well while the patio was drying. I cannot say enough good things about Artistic Design Landscaping. They are FANTASTIC! Do not waste your time looking for another contractor. If you want a job done right the first time this is the contractor for you.

Description of Work
Designed, executed and completed a beautiful patio, fire pit and wall around my pool.

Category landscaping, hardscaping, patios

05/19/2014

Sharon C.

I have used the services of Artistic Design Landscapes. What stood out was just that these guys are very conscientious and honest. In fact we have already set up to have them come back about February and just check everything again to see if anything else needs to be done.

Description of Work
Artistic Design Landscapes came out again a month ago. They just did some rework for drainage and stuff. The second time he also build waterfalls, a water feature, that's been 3 or 4 years ago.

Category lawn service, fountains

03/30/2014

Dennice H.

We were very pleased with the workmanship and the professionalism.

Description of Work
They did a big project at our swimming pool, including repairing a retaining wall, laying stone pavers on the pool deck and installing a new drain line around the pool.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

03/29/2014

Suzanne L.

Paul did an excellent job--start to finish. He came over a number of times to consult with us and I changed my mind 3 or 4 times before we all came up with a plan that I liked. He was patient and professional through all that. He drew a detailed plan of the property and explained every move he would make before he made it. He asked for my approval after each step as he completed it. I was totally impressed with him and his crew. I love the final result and it was a difficult project. I have already asked him to give me an estimate for a new project. Highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Put in beautiful trees around perimeter of part of my property, and fenced the rest.

Category landscaping, tree service

01/31/2014

Michelle B.

This company was called out because of flooding in my crawlspace under my house. I thought their estimate was reasonable. They came the week after the contract was signed. They were very hard working men and very courteous. The french drain was installed along the the back of the house to stop the water from the sloped backyard. The grading was added to the sides of the house to send the water away from the house instead of into it. They also worked on my gutters and downspouts to make sure all were clean and working properly. I paid when the job was finished. Then a hard rain came that Saturday - 4 inches an hour. The owner of the company came to check my crawlspace a few hours after the rain stopped. There was some water visible but not enough for the sump pump to come on. He called me and told me the guys would be back on Monday with no extra charge. They installed a 2nd pipe to the french drain and added a berm behind it. They also added more grading to the sides. I was also told they will also be coming back in March to soften the slopes and re-seed. Hard to do in January with frozen ground. Overall we were extremely satisfied.

Description of Work
Installed a french drain and graded the yard to slope water away from the house.

12/23/2013

Debra G.

It was fine, just were a little slow getting here? Had some vehicle and labor problems and didn't get to the job when they had hoped to. The people that came to do the job were great and since the delays were unavoidable, would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Pressure washed decks.

Category pressure washing

11/17/2013

Buford L.

Paul came and looked at our terrace, and suggested that instead of a mortared-in flagstone walkway he build a paver pathway to match the materials and design of our terrace. He would border this with mid-sized smooth river rock, and also run the rock around an evergreen which was beside the end of the walkway area. He would install a small catchment basin under the rock around the evergreen to catch run-off from our sloping back yard and pipe that water a few feet away where it could be spread over the grass. He would also remove the wax myrtles, build a small berm to help shield the a/c units, then plant ornamental grass on top of the berm. Even though this was not a huge job, Paul was creative and came up with an excellent solution. He and his crew came out and did an excellent job installing the walkway and reworking the a/c screening. He was unable to find an exact match for the pavers, because that particular size and color are no longer made, but he did find one that was very close. The end result is beautiful and very well-made. Paul and his crew were very professional and a real pleasure to have working at our home. I would heartily recommend Paul and his company for any hardscaping or landscaping project, and they will definitely be our first choice for future projects.

Description of Work
Outside our back door, we have a moderately-sized terrace constructed of pavers in a herringbone pattern. Built at the edge of the terrace is a wood-burning fireplace flanked by a built-in gas grill at one end and a wood box at the other end. There is a flagstone walkway with a stacked paver border (mortared) running from the edge of the terrace by the wood box around the back of the garage to the driveway turnaround area. We had another walkway going from the edge of the terrace next to the grill across the back of the house to the a/c units and water hose. This walkway was just individual concrete pavers with mulch around them. The problem was the mulch (or pine straw) would continually wash away with any heavy rain. I initially asked Paul for an estimate on installing a walkway similar to the one I'd installed on the other side of the terrace. Our a/c units were also ringed by large wax myrtles that shielded the units nicely, but were overgrown and really needed to be replaced. I welcomed any suggestions that Paul had for a walkway and replacing the wax myrtles.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

10/30/2013

Joshua B.

Paul worked with me to develop a design and plan for the entry to my house, drive, retaining wall and new fence with discreet lighting. I appreciate his creativity, knowledge and commitment to doing first rate work. The finished product exceeded my expectations. His team is hard working, and friendly and several neighbors commented that it was actually enjoyable to have the minor disruption during the big work because the guys were friendly, willing to answer questions, etc. My drive was a wreck, the previous owner had three different types of fencing, and an old retaining wall was failing. I would have been happy to simply have these issues remedied with quality products. I knew it was done well when 1) two different neighbors thanked me for raising property values with this project, 2) a well known preservationist in NC commented that the design made sense and looked good (house is in Blowing Rock Historic District), and 3) I am happy every time I see it!

Description of Work
New Drive, new fence...seems like a new house!

10/27/2013

David M.

Artistic Designs has done our lawn care for about three months. They do a great job. Paul is fantastic to work with. He answers the phone every time I call.

Description of Work
Lawn care. Lawn mowing.

Category lawn service, lawn treatment

07/06/2013

Raymond H.

Excellent. A crew of three arrived with proper equipment and tools. They were experienced and professional. After a brief discussion to confirm what work was expected, the crew got immediately to work. They worked steadily and effectively, with only a few breaks. When any questions arose, they asked clear and concise questions. Both Paul, the owner, and his team leader offered suggestions that were helpful and led to a better result. They finished on time, and cleaned up after themselves. We are extremely pleased with their work, will hire them again and have already recommended them to friends.

Description of Work
Trimmed ornamental trees and shrubs; removed weeds; removed unwanted plants and trees; mulched desired areas. Removed all debris.

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch, tree service

06/28/2013

Patrick C.

Paul's team showed up as scheduled and meeting our timeline. We wanted to be there when the work was done. Since this is a second home for us, Paul was totally flexible in working with our schedule so that we could be there. His crew was professional, efficient, friendly, and worked very hard. There was no standing around chatting, talking on the phone or taking breaks....these guys were constantly in action! When I decided the original placement of the boulders wasn't quite what I had in mind, they happily moved them as if they were pebbles to their new location. Paul is happy to do any job, large or small. Our location is an hour away, took 3 trucks of supplies to deliver, and has a challenging, steep driveway. None of this was a problem even for our small job. We highly recommend Paul and his team! Thanks guys.

Description of Work
Paul designed a landscape plan for us, making modifications along the way. While the plan will be implemented over time, we were thrilled with it and began work on phase 1. They installed 2 flagstone walkways from the driveway to the front entrances of our home, planted trees, and placed several boulders throughout the yard. It looks great and we are anxious to now sit back and enjoy it!

Category landscaping, lawn service, pavers, gravel, tree service

06/04/2013

Margaret D.

Artistic Design Landscape did some major work on my property in the North Carolina mountains in July 2012. They built a fence, did a beautiful job paving, with paving stones, my driveway....photos are on their website, and did some major landscaping with plants and mulch. What really impressed me was the time and care they took grading my driveway prior to paving it. While I would not have known the difference, Paul did. His care, concern and professionalism has saved me from yet another basement flood, over this past winter, I truly believe. Their artistic and creative perspective is something that I have been unable to find for my house at the beach. I am still looking. But once you have experienced the best it is hard to accept ordinary workmanship. I was at my beach house for the winter and just returned to the mountains for the summer. Due to the horrifically brutal winters on the mountain, I always dread what I will find upon returning. In the past I have found shutters down, trees down, flooding, etc. I was so delighted to note that all of Artistic Design Landscaping's work held up under the most brutal weather conditions. Nothing was amiss which demonstrates to me that they are doing business the old fashioned way....for the long haul and NOT just for the quick buck like so many companies out there. I am really so very happy. I wish that they had an office at the North Carolina beach where my other house is!

Description of Work
This is a follow up review on a review I did in July of 2012.

06/01/2013

Richard H.

I asked Paul to come to my home to provide an estimate for redesigning a couple beds in my yard, and doing general mulching of my property. While he was there, he also pitched me on his company's lawn maintenance services (which I was OK with). A few days later I received an estimate for an annual lawn maintenance contract, but never received an estimate for the landscaping project that I had contacted him about. My guess is that the project would have cost in the $2000 range, which was probably at the low end of the scale for this company's jobs. However, he should have been up front about not wanting take on the project. It's unprofessional to brush off a customer without any follow up. Basic communication is essential for a successful business. Obviously, I didn't opt to accept the lawn contract.

Description of Work
I did not contract with the provider.

Category landscaping

[member name removed], I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your review and I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication that we seem to have had. We strive to take care of every client as if they are our only client. With that said, after reviewing your post and our sales software (which allows us to keep records of phone calls, messages etc.) and after cross referencing our phone records, this is what we show. On April 4th 2013 at 8:31 a.m. we sent you a maintenance proposal via email which you show you received but we received no communication from you. Furthermore regarding the landscaping proposal which I wanted to explain to you in person, I personally called and left a message on Monday April 8th at 11:44 a.m. to set an appointment to meet with you which lasted 46 seconds according to our phone records (which I would be more than happy to show you). Since we had had no response, I called to follow up on Thursday April 11th at 3:18 p.m. and left a second message. Since we don’t want to be perceived as bothering potential clients we typically only call 3 times and then file the information away as we view that you are no longer interested in moving forward with your project. So, I called a final time and left a message on Saturday April 13th at 9:48 a.m. The phone number that I attempted to make contact with you on was the only number that was provided by you ending in 33. Again, I cannot apologize enough for the trouble that we seem to have had in communicating with you but please rest assured that there is no job that’s too small or too large for us. Artistic Design Landscapes has built a business and great reputation with Quality and Service being a large part of our core values and we would never overlook a client based on the size of their job. I would ask any other member to please take a look at our other reviews that are submitted by our clients to get an idea of the quality and service you can expect when you choose Artistic Design Landscapes for your project. Just as every other business in the service industry, we have to deal with the occasional problem that comes up, but the difference is in how we take care of the problems that allows us to maintain our relationship and reputation with the clients. The fact that this is the first negative report that we have received in 3 years indicates how hard and successfully we work to satisfy our customers If there is something that we can do to make this right in your mind, please contact me. We are currently working with Angie’s List and the client to resolve this issue. Thanks, Paul Farringer Owner Artistic Design Landscapes

05/30/2013

Jane K.

Everyone was very nice and worked very hard. Paul aims to please and makes sure we are satisfied. They were very watchful of our 3 dogs & made sure they didn't escape while coming into the fenced yard. Rain did delay the work but that's to be expected. We highly recommend this company and we use them to do our lawn & trim bushes & trees. BY THE WAY...MY ADDRESS IS IN HICKORY, NOT BETHLEHEM. PLEASE MAKE A NOTE OF THAT AND CHANGE IT. THANKS.

Description of Work
Built a concrete fire pit with patio. Made existing patios nicer by laying stone on top, planted several trees, flowering bushes & plants. Laid down soaker hoses to water plants with a timer. Make existing plant beds nice & larger and laid mulch. Gave us great advice on what to do & where. Still not done as we will have a wall mounted pergola and lighting in back yard & front yard.

Category concrete repair, decks, landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment, mulch, tree service, hardscaping

05/19/2013

Sally R.

Everything went well. The crew came early and stayed late sometimes intil 9:00 pm and also worked on Sat because we had many rainy days and they were trying to catch up because of all the rain we had had. This crew was very polite,respectful, hard working and professional and was very particular about their work. Paul Farringer was always available when I needed to talk with him via phone and he came to the house often while the work was going on. The crew was great and I look forward to our continued working relationship in the future. Can't say enough good things about this company. Sooooo happy with the way everything looks and works, I just want to sit on my back deck and stare at it. Thanks Paul and crew for a job well done.

Description of Work
We decided to go with Artistic Designs Landscapes out of Lenoir, NC owned by Paul Farringer after talking with two other companies. He and his crew did a fantastic job and we couldn't be happier. In the back yard on the lake side a landscape planter bed was made. Here they installed a Dry Creek Bed for drainage/water control. They also installed drain basin in the yard that ran into the dry creek bed. Mulch was put around trees and statues and a natural edge between landscape bed and lawn area was made. Also a raised planter bed was installed with Allen Block wall behind the house to SRW Standards. Down spouts and gutters were re-directed and put under ground to solve problems. Soil, mulch, plants and stepping stones were also added in this raised planter bed. Stepping stones were then added in front of wall and along side of house to the driveway. Terraced steps were also added. All this added so much to the looks and accessability from the basement apartment to the front of the house. In the front on the house,mulch, plants were planted, top soil added to yard to cover roots and grass seed put down. This lawn service has also been hired to care and maintain our yard which includes mowing, weed killing, edging, pest control, trimming of shrubs etc.

Category excavators, landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment, mulch, pavers, gravel, drain pipe, hardscaping

05/10/2013

diana E.

I found them on Angie's List. They were on time, very pleasant and did not seem like they wanted to do more services than I wanted.

Description of Work
I am waiting for an estimate from Artistic Design Landscapes. They have already come out to review my property. They are going to work on some drainage, work on my gutters and put in some flower beds.

Category gutter repair, landscaping, drain pipe

03/14/2013

MaryAnne G.

Artistic Design Landscapes, from the start were professional in their appearance and workmanship providing suggestions to further improve the work and always communicated verbally and by telephone as appropriate. The work was performed with minor changes ( other than increase to the original work scope).

Description of Work
Installed mortared stone walkways, installed Dry Creek Beds, reconfigured Flower Beds and Driveway, installed Stone Borders along the driveway and mulched flower beds and Power Washed the house.

Category landscaping, mulch, pressure washing, hardscaping