Carolina Decorative Concrete

Founded 1991 • With Angi since April 2013

12:00 PM - 5:00 PM

214 Patriot Ct

Kernersville, NC 27284

Over 25 years of experience in residential and commercial work....

concrete repair (40)stamped concrete (30)Patios (22)concrete driveways (9)decks & porches (4)

10/19/2020

Mike G.

I called, was nice on the phone, scheduled an on-site visit. No showed on the agreed upon date/time, gave him 1 hour and called him. Said he had been there (my house), walked around the property, knocked on the door but no one was home?! Now, this is Sunday morning, I woke up, did what most do on a Sunday morning, drank coffee, lazed around and definitely did not leave my house! After playing detective for few minutes, on the phone, it turned out he had visited my neighbors house, looked at his driveway and knocked on his door, NOT mine! Said he is sorry, scheduled another visit for the next day, guess what, he did not show up, called him, never picked up and his voicemail is full, texted him and never got a reply. Conclusion, his belly is full and he does not want to be bothered when things go somewhat wrong even though it is his fault! So go ahead, hire him but pray nothing goes wrong, he does not respect your time and at the first sign of trouble he would disappear and leave you hanging!

Description of Work
Repair concrete driveway.

Category concrete repair,concrete driveways

Work Completed On 10/19/2020

08/19/2020

Robert C.

Very nice walkway completed in 2 days.

Description of Work
install 40' cement walkway

Work Completed On 08/12/2020

06/13/2020

Marta S.

Rain, rain and more rain. Finally got a clear sky for 2 days and got it done. Results are awesome

Description of Work
Front porch and sidewalk

Work Completed On 06/04/2020

Review for Carolina Decorative Concrete - 214 Patriot Ct, Kernersville, NC - 38640760

05/16/2020

Bruce W.

After firing the original contractor for non performance I retained Lou Sullivan of Carolina Decorative Concrete to clean up the mess left behind and install a new patio pretty much from scratch. Lou is personable, easy to work with, and immediately took charge of the project, indicating where the first contractor was going to make serious technical errors if we had followed the original plan. Lou and his team did an outstanding job in record time - Lou is extremely responsive, takes great care to produce an excellent quality result, and is very knowledgeable about concrete technology. I have never seen a construction crew work so hard for the week it took to complete the project, and Lou was working as part of the team himself in the midst of all the activity every day, to ensure the excellent result we now are enjoying. We love our new patio, and I highly recommend Lou and his team for high quality concrete work which is technically very sound and artistically pleasing.

Description of Work
Tear out old concrete patio, clean up a mess left by a terminated contractor, and replace with a new decorative concrete patio.

Work Completed On 07/26/2019

05/07/2020

Jennifer M.

I requested a quote from this company twice, once on 3/10/20 and once on 3/19/20. I also tried to call them. It is now May, and no one has ever contacted me from this company. At this point, they need not bother. If they don't even have time to send an email or return a phone call, I can only imagine what it would be like to work with them. I don't understand why they would bother to advertise on Angie's List, if they aren't going to follow-up on potential business opportunities. I have had much better experiences with many other contractors I found here. I won't hire this one.

Description of Work
I needed my front porch and steps rebuilt and wanted to get stained concrete.

Work Completed On 03/19/2020

02/13/2020

Lucy C.

The work was fantastic, they called and set up the time, they were prompt and they worked very well, very swift and they just did an excellent job, sealed and completed the work the next day, Mr. Lou Sullivan also did some works on the yard and he was just great and fantastic, very professional on the job.

Description of Work
They put stamped patio and a stamped sidewalk around the house

Category stamped concrete

Work Completed On 01/17/2020

02/05/2020

Cindy D.

DO NOT HIRE THIS COMPANY! I hired this company to do a stamped patio, walkway, pour a concrete pad for a dog kennel and resolve a water issue. The water issue is during heavy rain water will run into my basement garage area and the building where my dog kennels will be. We wrote the contract and I paid half the money upfront $4500. After the job was completed I paid the other $4500, but there were still things he agreed/needed to do such as: paint the border on the patio and seal it. The weather was not cooperating at that time and the concrete needed to set up first. After not hearing from him after the final $4500 was paid, my husband called and Mr. Sullivan said he needed to wait until the weather was warm to complete the job. The weather warmed up and he never came to finish the job. A big part of the job was to resolve the water issue. Me and 4 other people expressed our concern that his plan was not going to hold up under heavy thunderstorms. Mr. Sullivan insisted it would. Unusual for N.C. weather, we had major thunderstorms on Sat. Jan. 11th and the 13th. As expected, my basement garage and building flooded on both days. This water could have seriously injured my dogs if occupied but the building is not ready for them yet. I contacted Mr. Sullivan and he said he would come that day at 3:00. He did not call and he did not show up. He called 3 hrs. later and said he would come the next morning. He did show up for that and when we talked he was argumentative and defensive. He didn't even remember telling my husband he was going to paint the border nor anything in the contract. He did say he would " try" something to resolve the water issue. After paying $9,000 I told him I was not paying any more money for a job that was not done correctly. He asked for money for the supplies and stated he would do the labor for free. I did not agree, but he said he would call later with quotes and be here the next day to fix it. He never called or showed up. We did communicate via text after this and he did propose to fix it with the most ridiculous, cheapest way out idea just like the first time. His plan would have never held up and I was not going to risk my dogs getting hurt. At this point he had already proved he does things the fastest, cheapest way, is unresponsive, dishonest and does not stand by his work. He did not even pour the concrete pad correctly for the dog kennels so instead of being able to house 5 rescue dogs, I can only house 4. The new contractor I have had to hire did a laser test and the concrete Mr. Sullivan poured is actually turning the water towards my basement and dog kennels! IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: I filed a complaint against this company with the Better Business Bureau and Mr. Sullivan FAILED to respond. The case was closed as UNANSWERED. If he is not going to respond to them, what is the probability he will respond to you when the job is not done correctly and after he has taken your money? I am sure he will have a politically correct response but here is the link to the BBB complaint: [*** Link removed ***] or if you recieve an error message just type in Carolina Decorative Concrete and you will see the complaint (s), or you can contact Melissa Neal at mneal@bbbtrust.org Phone: (336) 231-6457. So no matter what his response to this review is, I think this claim speaks for itself.

Description of Work
Stamped Patio, walkway, concrete pad for dog kennels, fix water flooding issues, concrete parking spot

Work Completed On 02/05/2020

I came out and advised that the ground coming from the garage door needed to be removed so that the water would fall away from the house but in doing so it would make the driveway to steep and render it unusable . you didnt want that . I installed a curb and gutter system with a 6 inch gravel base to slow the water down . That worked until we got a major rain storm. The water actually didnt go over the curb it went around as desired . it backed up against the building that is flush with the ground and at the bottom of the driveway getting all the water from 3 down spouts from your roof and the entire front yard that is around 1/4 acre When you called I came out and you were very upset like what I had done was wrong . we had agreed that if this didnt work I would install a drain . I offered several other things that I would do free of charge. The one thing I saw is that you had removed some trees in the front yard that increased the speed of the water . there were fresh ruts and even though this was not on my original scope of work . I offered to install a box drain and pipe it across the driveway and pipe the down spouts to the other side also . All I asked was for you to pay for the materials that was less than $300. . you refused everything I offered and I have it all in text. As far as the "boarder " on the patio . what I was asked was to seal the side of the concrete where the form was. This is something that isn't done on any stamp job . this is you either plant grass or make a bed . me not being a landscaper do not do these things and we discussed this before work ever started. This is the problems you will have when trying to do work on a building that is not up to code. By code the building is supposed to be 6 inches above ground level. If it was we wouldnt be having this conversation . I have done this for over 30 years . I have never been called names and treated with total disrespect by a customer and I was still willing to do what I could to help. I have that this in text also.

08/24/2018

Benjamin H.

Amazing customer service! Owner even took the time to travel to a local restaurant to see the floor that I wanted to have replicated in my home. Did an incredibly messy job with minimal disruption to the rest of my fixer-upper.

Description of Work
remove carpet, sand & decorative stain indoor concrete floor

Work Completed On 08/24/2018

06/20/2018

Danny F.

Excellent! Great price, great work. I love the result. Highly recommend Louis. Awesome guy to work with. He went above and beyond!

Description of Work
Deck removal and patio installed

Category concrete repair,decks,patios

Work Completed On 06/20/2018

Review for Carolina Decorative Concrete - 214 Patriot Ct, Kernersville, NC - 37171838

06/13/2018

Frank S.

Lou Sullivan was an absolute pleasure to work with. He showed up on time to do the estimate, walked me through the stamping/colorization process, and gathered required info from me to help him ascertain how to achieve the finished look I desired (including layout, colors, and expansion joint locations). Once done he provided me with an estimate as well as his availability. At no point did I feel pressured, and Lou's professionalism made it feel like I was working with a partner who was genuinely invested in helping me achieve my objective. After agreeing on both a price and timing, Lou returned with his crew to do the work, as scheduled. Again he was punctual, and his crew did a fantastic job of getting the pour down, spread, stamped, colored, and cut (expansion joints) in a timely fashion. A week later (to allow curing) Lou returned to seal the finished product. I'm writing this review more than 18 months after completion of the project -- and waited this long to see how the finished product held up. When clean (as opposed to covered in pollen), my patio looks as good as it did the day after it was sealed. I'm very pleased with the result and would/will engage Carolina Decorative Concrete again should I have a need for more work of this type. Lou is a true professional and a master at his craft. Important: It should be noted that I already had a 4" base of level, tamped crush & run in place for the patio … as well forms in place to hold the concrete pour. Thus, the pricing I received was strictly for the decorative concrete work, as all required prep work had already been performed prior to engaging Lou. Those in need of prep work should factor its cost in, of course.

Description of Work
Stamped and colorized concrete patio pour (55'x14')

Work Completed On 06/09/2017

Review for Carolina Decorative Concrete - 214 Patriot Ct, Kernersville, NC - 37835112

Thanks [Member Name Removed] I truly appreciate the review . we truly do our best to have happy customers !!! Happy that you are happy !!!

Stamped concrete. Acid stain. Broom and slick finish. I do everything from patios to parking lots.

I do not do footings.