New Garden Landscaping & Nursery

Founded 1977 • With Angi since June 2010

5577 Garden Village Wy

Greensboro, NC 27410

For more than 35 years, New Garden Landscaping & Nursery has been the Triad's foremost resource for landscape and horticultural services and outdoor living products. We are dedicated to providing value and building long-term relationships with our employees, customers and communities. New Garden

01/25/2019

Nancy F.

Work with the landscape designer was excellent and I am very, very happy with the finished work.

Description of Work
Design and installation of landscaping behind a small town home.

07/23/2017

Steve P.

Our designer, Katie, listened to our ideas and incorporated them into her design. She even allowed us to make minor changes late into to the project. We wanted low maintenance species, some with seasonal foliage color variation, and a design that had lots of a curb appeal. It was important to us that the new plantings not attract deer, insects (especially Japanese beetles), or be susceptible to plant diseases. She was extremely knowledgeable, knew exactly what we wanted, and offered immediately suggestions of plants that would meet our requirements. We got good value for our money and could not be more pleased with the outcome. We have other re-landscaping projects in mind and will employ New Garden again.

Description of Work
Our landscaping project involved several areas at our house and a tight timeline. New Garden installed and mulched a new 50 foot hedge as well as removed old, overgrown shrubs and installed new foundation planting along the entire front of our house. Separate from that work they installed and mulched two new feature specimens, a large southern magnolia, and a grouping of tree hydrangeas. And lastly, they weeded and mulched a large, existing planting bed. The few existing specimens we wanted to keep were incorporated seamlessly into the design. In early June we had a garden wedding and our guests were complimentary of both the yard and especially our newly installed gardens.

Category landscaping, mulch

07/05/2017

Nathaniel D.

They provide the lawncare and landscaping for my business and home. They come once a week for both properties. It is under contract. It is one big contract. They are kinda high but the quality is good. The business property is a few acres so there is usually 4-6 people. The workers are professional and it takes about 4 hours.

Description of Work
They provide lawn care for my business.

06/10/2017

Jeron H.

I would use this provider again, yes.

Description of Work
They put in several flower beds in the front yard, and they trenched an area on the right side of my house for condensation run off. They put in drains that ran underground out into the streets.

05/25/2017

Gary W.

Outstanding. New Garden Retail Services did a great job. Highly recommend

Description of Work
Added 5 new bushes and one new tree

10/21/2016

Elisabeth W.

See above. Could not have gone better!

Description of Work
Joel Deuterman really went the extra mile to help me complete my landscaping project. He suggested trees and shrubs and listened to my concerns and helped me stay within my budget. Rarely have I had service this stellar. Installation went without any problems. He communicated if he was running on time and was always extrememly helpful. His assistant Chirag Shukla also did a good job during the install. Would highly recommend New Garden with this kind of personal attention and service. Thank you!!!!

Category landscaping

We're excited that you are so pleased with the work that Joel and Chirag performed for you. We passed your comments on to them, and shared it with the rest of the company also. This is the level of customer satisfaction we aim for every time, and it's because of our great employees!

09/13/2016

James Martin J.

Horrible. More weeds than I have ever had. Would not recommend provider. Application/coverage was not thorough and consistent.

Description of Work
TRADITIONAL PLUS PROGRAM

Category lawn treatment

We are sorry you were disappointed with your lawn. It has been a very difficult year for weed control in the Triad due to unusually high temperatures and low rainfall. These conditions favor weeds strongly, and are stressful to lawns. It also causes weed control applications to break down more quickly than usual. The result was less than ideal weed control pretty much everywhere. And yes, more weeds than had been seen historically. Since we expect similarly extreme conditions in coming years, we are reassessing our weed control programs from application timing to products used to provide better control in the future. We're always researching to improve and adapt our program and we'd hope you'd try us again in the future.

06/21/2016

Allan W.

Went very well. Work done as expected.

Description of Work
Landscaping

Category landscaping

Very glad you're happy with your results! (And apologies for the late response to your review)

05/05/2016

Michael S.

The several large containers are a work of art. Pretty, fun, functional. A++.

Description of Work
New Garden does our total landscape maintenance. Recently, Meridith Story has done our container planting on the terraces for the Spring and Autumn.

04/07/2016

Josephine B.

I initially contacted New Garden because my lawn was in poor shape and I felt needed some loving care and also to give my flower beds and borders a makeover. My contact person was Marc Campbell who came to look over the garden and arrange service. I explained very clearly that my main concern was the lawn and that I was happy to wait to have the landscaping and planting done at a better time of year. Marc insisted that this was a perfect time to plant and also explained that he would be able to bring my lawn back to good health. He even took me across the road to my neighbors perfect lawn and said that mine would be the same in a short time. Unfortunately, it transpired that New Garden sub contracts it lawn care to another company who were not involved in any of the discussions. My lawn was not given any priority as I had asked but New Garden was quite prompt in moving ahead with the landscaping and removing a lot of my shrubs and planting new ones in their place. The hand drawing I received from Marc re how my beds would look was extremely basic and also included prints of fully mature shrubs he thought would be good to add later on. All extremely confusing. I had foolishly signed a contract with New Garden which had separated the lawn care from the landscaping, this I did not fully comprehend at the time. After waiting patiently for them to work on my lawn and having only one visit for the initial reseeding. I asked the man who eventually came out to mow my lawn what was the plan and he looked utterly confused and said that New Garden used a sub contractor and I was down for the basic lawn care which was done at set times each year. I pointed out that my lawn was in need of far more than a monthly mow and he agreed and said that it was in very poor shape and suggested that I buy a better package from them as it needed to be reseeded again and this was not covered. Marc then became almost impossible to contact and when he did arrive at the door one afternoon unannounced was there to ask me to pay the remainder of my landscaping bill. His complete unconcern for his lack of openness and the mess I was left with (the shrubs had not thrived as they were planted in October/November and a number of them had just died) was hard to accept. I was then passed to the Accounts Dept and basically it became just a numbers game. My request for someone else from the company to come and review the work was ignored. Marc came to the house on a number of occasions apparently when I was not home and when we eventually did connect he again just asked for payment and did not have any excuse for his failure to deliver on any front. I refused to pay for the lawn care part of the contract and after a great deal of unnecessary discussion this was removed from the bill. Ten shrubs had not survived the planting and I was given a rebate of $100 - completely insulting given that the original landscaping bill was in excess of $6000.00. So basically, I paid a great deal of money for the beds to be weeded, mulch to be laid and some shrubs which are not thriving. Marc told me that he is really a nice guy and maybe he should have been more upfront about the sub contracting, you think? I understand that this review is quite different from the previous ones and those were in essence the reason why I chose New Garden. It is, however, a true review and I am quite sure New Garden will say that I was just unwilling to pay, I however, just wanted them to do the work they had been contracted to do but New Garden was not willing to work with me on any front. I am however quite willing for anyone to see the photographs I took at the time of my lawn and also to look at the shrubs etc., that were put in my beds by New Garden. I have all the paper work and correspondence. It was a horrible experience. Luckily I have found a new company who have worked with me and my lawn is much improved.

Description of Work
Landscaping remodel and lawn care.

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment, mulch

We’re sorry that we were unable to come to a resolution that was mutually agreeable to both parties in this instance, but you may have had unreasonable expectations as to the time frame of results from the services we provided to you. We began working with you in the fall of 2014 when you requested a lawn care program, a landscape install, and an annual landscape maintenance program. The landscaping was done in the fall of 2014, not at all an unusual time to do landscape planting; we work throughout the winter every year doing landscape installations. You were initially happy with the landscape we did for you. You also signed on for an annual landscape maintenance program through New Garden and those services were provided appropriately for the season (mowing, pruning, mulching, weeding etc.) We also began your lawn treatments immediately, starting with aeration & seeding, fertilization & lime in October of 2014 (it was given priority-it was the first service provided to you). Your ongoing annual lawn care program would have consisted of 7 scheduled treatments per year: winterizer, spring (2 applications) summer (2 applications) and fall (2 applications). You received 3 treatments, the fall (with the aeration & seeding), the winterizer, and the first spring application. (Note that in the Winston-Salem market, our lawn care services are provided by Nature’s Select, as New Garden Select works in the Greensboro area. We have has a close relationship with Nature’s Select for many years as their quality and results are exemplary. The lawn care programs are essentially identical except for the location from which the trucks leave in the morning.) However, in the spring of 2015 you withheld payment of the balance of the landscape portion of your bill, the lawn care invoice and your landscape maintenance invoices. You said the reason was that your lawn was not perfect yet, and a few shrubs had not survived the winter (it does happen). For the shrubs that did not survive, we absolutely do provide 100% replacement for plants that die within one year per our standard warranty, but you refused to let us replace them. Because your lawn was not perfect you were “done with us”. We did end up crediting you for them but the fact remains at that point you still had not paid the balance of your bill for other services performed. As far as your issues with the lawn quality, it is not reasonable to expect a perfect lawn immediately out of winter with only a small portion of the annual program having been completed. The results require time and a growing season to be fully realized. That aside, there was nothing unusually bad about your lawn, it just needed time and some warm weather for the program to show results. There was no additional service or special application we could have done or applied to change the state of your lawn at that point. You simply did not give us or your lawn enough time to show results before you refused to pay for any of your services-even the unrelated services. As would be true for most service companies, your reoccurring lawn care service was suspended for non-payment, as were your landscape maintenance services. Of course with no further services your lawn did not continue to improve. In the end you received three lawn care applications for free, were forgiven 2/3 of the balance of the landscape maintenance invoices we performed, and only paid your landscape installation bill after nearly 12 months of dispute over shrubs we were perfectly willing to replace for free and a lawn you wanted to be perfect immediately.

04/06/2016

Megan B.

New Garden worked me into the schedule within a few days of my call to them. Chad Burton was my technician, and he was great. He worked quickly to repair broken hoses, redirect sprinkler heads, etc., on my irrigation system, which had not been serviced in years. He also gave me some helpful pointers on some of my landscaping. Will absolutely use New Garden again.

Description of Work
Startup and repair of irrigation system.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems

Thanks for taking time to leave a review, we appreciate it! Glad that Chad's little bit of extra advice was useful to you-we encourage our employees to give the customer "a little extra" where they can. We'd be happy to be of service in the future should you need us!

03/02/2016

Kay B.

We were contacted very promptly and had a visit for a quote the next day. The rep was knowledgeable, professional, and pleasant. She also gave me tips to reduce the cost, and pointed out services (such as removal from the roof & gutters) that they don't do. The quote was higher than we had hoped, but not unreasonable for the extent of work and the reputation of the firm. I believe we would have been quite satisfied had we not decided to do the work ourselves.

Description of Work
Provided a quote for leaf removal.

Category landscaping, lawn service, leaf removal

Thanks so much for leaving a review, we appreciate that you took the time to do so. Although we did not end up doing the work you had requested, we do hope we can be of assistance in the future should you need our services.

03/01/2016

Christine S.

Arrived promptly, worked cheerfully and thoughtfully, cleaned up after themselves properly. My fruit trees breathed a sigh of relief; they really needed the pruning.

Description of Work
Pruned mature apple trees and blueberry bushes

Category landscaping, tree service

Thank you for taking time to leave a review for us! Hope your fruit harvest is bountiful this year and we look forward to assisting you again in the future.

01/10/2016

Elisabeth W.

Tripp's New Garden crew arrived on time, performed excellent work in a totally professional manner, and responded courteously to all my questions and concerns. I could not be happier with their service, suggestions and work!

Description of Work
Structure pruning of my four crepe myrtles, and they did a magnificent job! The price includes a lot of additional non-tree work that they did so I don't know how much of the price applies to the tree work.

Category landscaping, tree service

Thanks so much for your kind review, and for taking the time to leave one. We hope you continue to enjoy your "primped" landscape and look forward to working with you again.

12/03/2015

Robert L P.

Work went very well, crew arrived as expected and perfromed the work efficiently. ? Plant 1 Green Luster Holly to right of driveway, in void at front porch bed, and 2 to the right of the front door in void. ? Prune existing Green Lusters along front porch down 3-4 inches. ? Trim back Candytuft to edge of walkway. ? Trim long shoots on Hollys, Ligustrum. ? Pull out all ivy found in beds. ? Pull weeds and cut/dig weed trees and wild grape throughout this area. ? Hollys to right of garage in back yard- trim long shoots, pull weeds, ivy and weed trees. ? Refresh all bed spaces with Pine Needles. ? All debris hauled away.

Description of Work
Performed fall / winter yard and beds clean-up

Category landscaping, lawn service, tree service

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review for us. We're glad you were happy with the work performed and we look forward to working with you in the future if should need our services.

10/14/2015

bonnie Z.

Great service. Fast and dependable.

Description of Work
Fixed sprinkler

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems

Thank you for leaving a review! We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

06/17/2015

Scot F.

Excellent. Very detailed plan, what to plant, where to plant it. I also bought several of the plants from them because they were much healthier appearing than the ones at the big box store. Went very well.

Description of Work
Designed a landscape plan for a natural area I had in my yard.

Category landscaping

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate it. We're glad you were happy with your natural area plan and hope that you continue to enjoy it.

06/11/2015

Jared L.

The price estimated was $30,000. We were not expecting such a large fee for the retaining wall and did not receive any services.

Description of Work
Give estimate for retaining wall.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Thanks for taking time to leave us a review! Your hoped-for wall project was probably a much larger undertaking than you were anticipating. The size wall you were hoping for would have required the involvement of civil engineers and additional permits, overall a very large job. In many cases, when a large project exceeds a client's immediate budget, we can break it into pieces and complete it over time. Unfortunately, you can't build half a wall, making that option unavailable in this case. However, we were able to put you in touch with another contractor for the fence portion of your project (since we do not install fences) and hopefully you will be able to move forward with that part of your project. If we can be of any assistance in the future with helping you re-imagine your property, please don't hesitate to contact us. And thanks again for the review!

02/09/2015

Gary O.

The experience was uneventful. The work was done in a single day while I was at work. All of the clippings were removed, so the yard looked clean afterward.

Description of Work
Trimmed Holly trees and other shrubs

Category landscaping

We appreciate you taking time to review us, and look forward to the opportunity to work with you again.

01/12/2015

Travis R.

We used several of the ideas but did all the work ourselves.

Description of Work
Came to my house and gave landscaping ideas.

Category landscaping

We appreciate you taking the time to review us. Hope you are still enjoying your new landscape-it should really be looking great by spring!

11/10/2014

Lana B.

They did a great job, sent a crew of two to preform the tasks. Were very professional and left no mess for me to clean up.

Description of Work
Pruning of bushes and trees, planted a tree and a shrub. Cleaned out the area from where a previous tree was removed.

Category landscaping

Reviews are important to us, and we appreciate that you have taken the time to leave one. We are happy that you are satisfied with the work that was done. Enjoy!

11/03/2014

Peter V.

Great service from very beginning. Prompt and helpful. Took extra time to help us select new plants. Job was thorough and on time.

Description of Work
Removed overgrown shrubs and old tree stumps in frontyard of recently purchased house, advised on new plant selection, and planted new shrubs and placed pine needle mulch.

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch

Thanks for the review. We hope you are enjoying your newly refreshed landscape. Amazing what a difference some cleaning up can make! We hope you enjoy and are able to use the improved area you now have, and we look forward to helping you in the future if needed.

11/01/2014

Kathleen K.

This is the third lawn service company we have used and so far our lawn looks its best under the care of New Garden. Finally some control over the weeds and crab grass!

Description of Work
Treat lawn for weeds, pests. Fertilize. Prepare for fall.

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment

Thanks for the review, we appreciate that you took the time to leave one. Remember you can always contact us with any questions or concerns you may have about your lawn between visits. We look forward to helping you keep your lawn green and healthy!

08/20/2014

Steve B.

It was just OK. They were very responsive. The lady who came out was very knowledgeable and professional. While I feel like I got my money's worth it just wasn't a deal.

Description of Work
They removed bushes and cleaned up the landscaping.

Category lawn service

Our jaws dropped when we read your review and rating. We felt from the feedback we received from you after the job was completed that we had completely satisfied you and met your expectations. When we saw that you rated our quality a "C" we were stunned. We're also confused by the fact that you mention that your consultant was "very...professional" then rate us only "B" for professionalism. If you have any issues with the quality of the work we performed, please contact us and we will address it. If you are dissatisfied with the price you paid for the services you received, please understand that the "Big Deal" offers are standard packages with the content and the price set by Angie's List.

08/12/2014

Liz B.

Using New Garden was a luxury and I expected something special - but it was more expensive than other providers and no better than work done by other companies I've used. I was first told that they can't provide an itemized bill, but ultimately got one. There were also a couple of unexpected changes - one was a change to our agreed plan, and the other was explained as 'my crew used their best judgement'. I stayed home for this very reason and perhaps asking the homeowner would have been better judgement. To be fair, they did offer to come change one of the issues but I preferred to not deal with this project anymore at this time so had them leave it as is. Also, you should be aware the Angie's List coupon is not actually offering any discount to their normal fee. They essentially did what they said what they'd do but you should shop around carefully if you're doing a big project.

Description of Work
A variety of clean up and plantings, reshaping of beds.

Category lawn service

We are sorry that you were not fully satisfied with your experience with New Garden. Of course we want all of our customers to be satisfied with the results and feel that they have received true value from our services. In reference to the unexpected changes, it is often necessary to make judgement calls in the course of doing the actual work based on our experience in previous similar circumstances. We are always happy to make adjustments after a job is done to insure complete satisfaction. We did offer to make immediate changes in the areas you were not satisfied with, but unfortunately you did not allow us that opportunity. Your property offered many areas where we could help with cosmetic improvements. Your consultant examined your property with you and selected some key areas to address. To fit within your budget, every area the two of you spoke about was not included in your proposal. All areas to be worked on were specified in the proposal, which you approved. In an email sent after the job, you referred to some of the areas that were not included and expressed disappointment that they were not worked on also. Although not included in the proposal, your consultant apologized for any misunderstanding and offered to come and address some of those areas. You declined that offer also. There was a misunderstanding about the availability of an itemized bill on our end, and we do apologize for that. While we traditionally do not itemize this type of job on the final invoice, we had one in the mail to you within two business days of receiving your request. In email exchanges prior to the quoting and acceptance of the proposal, individual item prices were supplied for almost all aspects of the job, including labor, environmental fees and materials. Angie's List runs standard "Big Deal" specials to Angie's List members to help businesses get more exposure. We are proud that as a premium landscape service provider, our everyday pricing is in line with what Angie's List considers a "deal". Our prices are competitive and we feel we offer great value for service. Again, we apologize that your experience with New Garden failed to give you satisfaction. If you change your mind about readdressing the issues you were dissatisfied with, we are still happy to make the changes you wish.