We complete exterior work only (No need to enter home)
We offer estimates and quotes using video calling

Canter Power Systems, LLC

Founded 1948 • With Angi since November 2010

4322 Piedmont Pkwy

Greensboro, NC 27410

We only sell, install, and service Generac home backup generators and have received their distinguished ranking of Power Pro Premier Dealer. Built in the U.S. and known for quality and durability, Generac is the nation’s #1 selling brand. We’ll recommend the Generac generator that meets your specific home backup needs. Trusted Since 1948 - Canter got its start as a family owned and operated business in 1948. Now an industry leader, you can still count on everyone at Canter to provide you with the personal touch and friendly service we refer to as the Canter Experience....

07/15/2020

Bob N.

All of their people were very nice. They installed a generator without coming out to the house once.!!!! How is that possible? They subbed out all of the work to independent contractors. Gas hook up was one company, generator delivered by a second company, and electric hook up was done by a third company. Not once did a Canter representative come to the house to check on the installation or installation progress. Very difficult to reach Canter people who work at the company to ask questions. Canter representatives had no idea what was going on at the job site. One time they called to tell me that the electricians had finished with my job, two days prior, but in fact they were still at the house. Not what I expected!

Description of Work
Whole house generator.

Category

Hi Mr. [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We apologize for any miscommunication you may have received during the time of your installation and any confusion that may have caused. We will share your feedback with our team and strive for continued improvements to our process.

11/04/2017

Ralph O.

Our payment was made on July 17th. ($274.00 ) We were not getting any calls as to when the service would be done so we started calling the company that Canter sub-contracts to for PM services and got different excuses. We continue to call and finally yesterday, November 3rd the service was performed, Three and a half months later. I told the sub contractor's office that next year I would do as we have done in the past and pay when the service is done, for which I was told that no service would be done if payment was not made in advance. I trust that the parent company, Canter does something about this payment and service arrangement.

Description of Work
In 2/13 we had the generator installed and signed up for the annual service agreement. All has gone very well with the generator and the annual service until this year. In the past when the service was done we were invoiced and paid promptly. This year we were asked to pay first and then the service would be scheduled and done shortly.

Category electrician, generator service

Hello Mr. [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your concerns. I regret to hear about your dissatisfaction with our company policy regarding payments for annual maintenance. Unfortunately at this time, our system doesn't allow us to accept payment at the time of the service being performed so we must request it before we are able to schedule a technician to come perform the annual maintenance. As a general rule, we allow 60 days from the time of payment for the service to be performed. At the time of your service being due, we were in the process of replacing the technician in your area whom left suddenly due to medical reasons. I notice that you mention a sub contractor in your review, but there were no sub contractors involved with your annual maintenance. We actually sent a technician from our corporate office in Greensboro, NC to make sure that your annual maintenance visit was completed. Mr. [Member Name Removed], I assure you that top notch customer service is our #1 priority here at Canter Power Systems and we do our absolute best to make sure all of our valued customers are treated with the utmost respect and urgency, and I apologize that you feel like you received less that that. I will personally review your feedback with our management team at our next board meeting. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

09/21/2017

Kenneth B.

Canter subcontracted the work out, & without my permission, their subcontractors installed a GenPad for $450 and the "diagnostics" they performed were to simply turn the power OFF and ON several times. No electronic diagnostics were performed on the equipment. I then received a bill, not from Canter, but from their subcontractor for $615. When I contacted Canter, they said that their maintenance person should not have given me a quote, and that since the subcontractor already installed the GenPad and did the work, there was "nothing we can do about it." After speaking with my attorney, I informed Canter that, (1) whether or not their maintenance man should have given me a quote (that is Canter's internal problem), he did and that is what stands legally as my responsibility, (2) if they (through their subcontractor) installed a GenPad without my permission and approval, I am not responsible for that charge and that I thus would not be paying for that and that if Canter (but not their subcontractor) wants to come and reclaim the GenPad, they may do so, and (3) I am no longer their customer and will call someone else locally to get the transfer switches diagnosed and repaired because I could no longer trust Canter to do the work satisfactorily and to bill me fairly. Until this incident, we never had a problem with our equipment and Canter performed the twice-annual maintenance for us for 6 years now without issue. This is the first equipment problem we have had, and Canter's response was simply unacceptable. Canter needs to manage their subcontractors closely, they need to take responsibility for their subcontractor's work, work ethics and the quality of work performed, and they need to understand the laws in the State of Virginia. Installation of the GenPad was not what we contracted with Canter for, it was installed without out prior knowledge nor approval, and most importantly, it is totally unnecessary.

Description of Work
We have a maintenance agreement with Canter, who installed our whole house generator in 2011 (a Generac 20 Kw unit). During our spring maintenance, the Canter maintenance person told us we needed a new battery & that the unit needed to be re-leveled. (Canter installed the unit on a bed of lava rock originally,) When there was a power outage in August, the 2 transfer switches did not operate & I had to go out in a downpour, open each box & manually turn the systems ON. Afterward, I called Canter & told them I needed them to come out and (1) re-level the unit and (2) fix the faulty transfer switches. (I already installed a new battery.)

08/15/2017

Jamie Z.

They did an excellent job. Call them.

Description of Work
It was a whole house generator with an install.

06/10/2017

JAMES K.

I've used them several times. I would give them an A on everything. I would most definitely use this provider again.

Description of Work
They serviced my generator.

11/18/2016

Tawana C.

Everything went well. Canter does everything so you don't have to do anything. They make sure the inspectors come out and they do a great job, are very professional and the work is very neat.

Description of Work
They installed a generator for our whole house.

12/16/2015

ALBERT O.

I understand things do happen; but, why would the only contractor that installs generators for Home Depot put themselves in a position so if the one and only one technician is unable to perform the work or falls to the way-side, business ceases? Poor planning.

Description of Work
They did nothing. They put me on a month waiting list and 1.5 days prior to the installation/Estimate called and told me they would have to reschedule until Mid JAN 2016. They said their installer quit. I have had to schedule several events around them and this is how they treat customers.

09/21/2015

Jamie Z.

Canter Power Systems completed our installation a couple of weeks ago. The technicians explained everything to me before leaving and everything seems to operating exactly as expected. Excellent job and great people to work with! 11/7/2015-Update-We had a power outage this past week. Once the power goes out, there is a slight delay while the generator determines if it is an outage or a false alarm. I was fully prepared for that since the installers from Canter Power Systems had been great at explaining to me how the system works. The generator kicked on exactly as it should and I was able to continue on with what I needed to do without any problems. I wasn't even sure exactly when the power came back on since the transition was so seamless. Our area was without power for somewhere around an hour and a half and I only know that because I had checked outside to see if the generator was still running.

Description of Work
We recently had Canter Power Systems install a Generac whole house stand by generator. The normal process for these generators can be rather complex but Cantor Power Systems made the whole process painless. They handled everything from delivery right down to inspections. Their customer service was excellent and they communicated extremely well with us through every step of the process. Great job!!!

06/12/2015

Marian S.

Very well. My husband is an engineer and he was impressed.They visited, then quoted. An electrician worked on our circuit boards. The generator and pad was delivered. After hook up a detailed explanation was given to me.

Description of Work
Visited us and asked a lot of questions, looked at our circuit boxes, then gave us a very professional quote. His quote was quite a bit lower than the other electricians that gave us quotes. Told us that we needed a smaller generator than the others recommended. Their cost was about half of the other quotes. This is a real generator installation company that guarantees their work.

04/19/2015

Barbara H.

We bought and had installed a 7 kw standby generator through Canter. I shopped other companies, but only Canter provided "soup to nuts" service. They pulled the permits, they contacted my natural gas provider and made the appointments for connection, they made sure the inspections happened. I didn't have to do a thing but show up when they needed to get into my garage. Purely professional, they left my yard clean and in good condition. The only reason I didn't give them a 5 on price is because buying a standby generator is expensive, but that's not their fault really. Speaking of expensive, I found that the other companies I called were not interested in my business because I wanted a small generator, just enough to power the necessities. Canter never batted an eye and worked with me to make sure I got power to exactly what I wanted. I wish all companies worked as well as Canter.

Description of Work
Installed stand-by generator.

09/24/2014

Ken S.

Following my initial review Canter Electric contacted me regarding my issues. These issues were discussed at length and Canter is putting forth every effort to correct the issues. Canter has been in contact with me twice since the initial review and I feel certain Canter is well on their way to provide the quality of service they have delivered in the past.

Description of Work
Canter subbed the work without telling me they were going to do that. Overall the communication from Canter was terrible.

Category electrician, generator service

[member name remove], We are extremely disappointed that the services and commitments that you received were less than stellar. Our 66 years of service have been built on open dialogue and thorough communications with every customer. Obviously, we failed on your behalf. For that, we are truly sorry. As we discussed in our conversation yesterday, we have already taken steps to increase the frequency of communications with each customer from five days to every three days. We have also implemented additional language in our literature which more thoroughly explains the partnership between ourselves and our subcontractor partners. We were glad that you were extraordinarily impressed and satisfied with our subcontractor partner in your area. As you experienced, our subcontractor partners are some of the best in the business. All of our partners have been hand chosen and have been thoroughly vetted by Canter Power Systems and Home Depot. We were also pleased that you felt the overall work performed and the final outcome of your generator system installation was fantastic. [member name remove], thank you again for your business, your trust, and your open dialogue. Over the next 20 to 25 years, as your generator system is being maintained by us, I look forward to the opportunity to rebuild your confidence in our communications efforts. Ken Canter President, Canter Power Systems

08/09/2014

W S C.

We have an annual maintenance contract with Canter. Called Canter when standby generator stopped weekly automatic "exercise start-up". Highly qualified technician arrived promptly, diagnosed dead battery, replaced it and performed annual service. Of his own initiative, he determined prior fall annual service had not occurred due to a serial number/paperwork error -- so the company comp-ed the battery. Would have rated the entire experience superior except for that missed service.

Description of Work
Standby generator repair and annual service.

06/05/2014

David P.

They are on a high side. He was going to do some work so that we could buy a generator into our house. They listen to the need and went and look at the current system and okay what the recommendation to be.

Description of Work
They came and did a bid basically.

05/28/2014

Elizabeth C.

Very professional, excellent customer service and follow up from their office. William and Michael were very thorough and knowledgeable during the installation. Definitely would recommend them for generator installation. The process was very smooth and according to the schedule laid out when the salesman (Greg Watson) visited our home. Everyone I talked to was very helpful, willing to explain, and were quick to resolve any issues that occurred.

Description of Work
Installed a 18 kw whole house generator

05/21/2014

James G.

Canter Elec installed a 20/kw standby generator on May 20 & 21 on time and at great price. Their work was outstanding and the best workmen I have ever had at my home. We tested the generator and everything worked perfect Now the whole house is on standby and we no longer fear power outs.

Description of Work
INSTALLED A STANDBY GENERATOR. Installed a 20/kw generator.

05/13/2014

Bill S.

My experience with them was great. They charge by the hour depending on what the job is. They were very professional and cleaned up after themselves. It took about a week and a half which was pretty quick. I recommend them.

Description of Work
I used Canter Electric Company to install lighting. They ran the cords for the lighting and worked on the switches.

Category electrician, lighting

04/25/2014

Brian L.

They did everything they said they would do and more! Canter is one of the best contractors we have ever worked with. We solicited three bids and Canter was by far the most thorough, accurate, and professional.

Description of Work
Installed an automatic generator system for our home.

06/12/2013

Bonnie M.

Canter Electric Co. are the installers in three state areas for The Home Depot. He did fine. He did an assessment and gave me a written estimate. I'm in the process of collecting estimates and then I will make a determination as to which way I want to go and if I even want to go ahead with putting in a generator system. I'm looking for a whole house generator, not a gasoline operated generator. I filed out a form at Home Depot and I got a call from him in just a couple of days. This guy drove about 160 miles to do this. It was fine. He was very professional.

Description of Work
He came to give me an estimate for putting in a generator system on my home.

10/01/2012

Jeanette S.

Excellent job! The proposal was received very quickly. Once the decision was made to move forward, they scheduled the job quickly. Given my house is quite old, they ran into a few issues that they were able to resolve easily.

Description of Work
Added new circuit breaker box and changed all outlets in the house.

10/24/2011

DAVID E.

He spent a long time trying to install the ceiling fan. While most are done in the attic where you can anchor the ceiling fan, this was on the first floor. He explained how he couldn't do it and if we wanted it done, it would be a halfway major problem. He spent a long time trying to do it but failed. My issue is not with him being unable to do it. I am fine with that and glad he didn't try to put it up in an unsafe manner. However, since they charge by the hour, we spent a lot of money on something that didn't happen. His work on the reinstalling the electrical outlet went a lot better. Definitely not the worst company I have ever dealt with but they are enough good electricians that we will find another one next time.

Description of Work
We were having our kitchen redone. He reinstalled an electrical outlet in the island and tried installing the ceiling fan.

Category electrician, ceiling fans

09/08/2011

Stephen K.

Two electricians arrived, and quickly installed a new circuit to my service panel and an outlet in my garage.

Description of Work
Outlet installed in garage.

09/06/2011

Diane C.

It went well. From the first call to the work being done took about two weeks. Everyone was professional, the work was well done, and they took the time to listen and investigate all possibilities.

Description of Work
I had several lights and baseboard heaters installed, as well as a couple of new switches. I believe the name of the two electricians who came out were William and Dan. The estimate was actually higher than what I ended up paying because it didn't take as long. They told me exactly what to buy at my local Lowes as far as the baseboard heater was concerned. They were on time, professional, very patient with my questions, and cleaned up after themselves. At first they thought the switch for the baseboard heater was working. After installing the heater a couple of days later the switch quit working. I called, they told me what to get, and they came out and installed it free. They even fixed the light on my stove vent for free. I asked a question about it and William took a look at it and fixed it even though they were actually done. The staff on the phone were friendly and quick to call back. I would recommend them and use them again.

Category electrician, lighting

02/16/2011

Sandra P.

The job went great. They were here early. They didn't try to tell us that we need a lot of work done. He said it was a small job, so they didn't charge us very much. I also had a senior discount.

Description of Work
We were having problems with lights flickering. They found that the wiring was loose into the fuse box.

01/20/2011

Carl H.

Canter Electric is very good. They are expensive but very good.

Description of Work
Canter Electric Co. fixed a burnt out circuit.

11/13/2010

Glenda B.

I have used them several times and they are extremely dependable. They are very reasonable. The thing I like best in them is the fact that they are very prompt. Even if they are going to be five minutes late, they call and let me know. Their work is exceptional. They are the only electricians I use.

Description of Work
My electricians are Canter Electric Co. and the last time I used them was about 2 years ago. I had a fire in the wall and the rooms. They came and repaired the wiring. I had them put in a new receptacle. I have had them do ceiling fans and extra wiring.

Category electrician, ceiling fans