Archadeck of Piedmont Triad

Founded 1991 • With Angi since July 2010

3.9

5587 Garden Village Way C

Greensboro, NC 27410

Archadeck Outdoor Living designs and builds custom outdoor living spaces for our clients. From porches and patios to decks and sunrooms, Archadeck is North America’s leading outdoor space builder....

08/02/2017

Ted B.

07/22/2016

Suzanne S.

Description of Work
"The product looks nice. Getting there was painful. It was not turn key. The wood they use is not 1st grade, actually worst I have ever seen. The contractor they used was skilled but had no common since on when to use a board or reject it. It took a gread deal of my time to check behind them and make sure it was ok. The owner did everything he could to make me happy, minus using good wood. I should not have had to have him out twice, nor clean up and check behind his contractors work | | "

11/18/2015

Bruce G.

01/24/2015

Cynthia K.

After the work was completed and paid for, I called John and told him that the pergola was swaying in the wind and that some of the railing was separating. He sent someone to fix it. Several months later I called about the same problem and John told me that "we accepted the job as it was and that was the end of our guarantee". We have repaired the railings several time since it was just nailed together with small, thin carpenter nails. We are now tearing it all down since it is falling apart. Also, the composite material, that we used based on John's recommendation and paid so much extra money for, is poor quality, stains very easily and the screws are falling out of the decking floor.

Description of Work
Built on to existing new deck, building pergola, building step and seats using composite decking material and wood.

08/22/2014

Wayne C.

project started 10 days late. very little communication provided by Archadeck. subcontractor assigned to perform work was very courteous and competent but not particularly punctual. half of windows did not arrive with delivery so were reordered - another 2 week delay. finally finished and a leak developed at the storm door. Archadeck attempted twice to seal leak and finally decided that the gutter above the door was the problem and they did not install gutter so - not their problem, even though they did install the door. interior caulking almost non-existent and finish details are a bit rough. a project that was supposed to start 6/9/14 and be finished around 7/4/14 finally started on 6/19/14 ( after much complaining) and finished 8/21/14.

Description of Work
convert screened porch into 3 season sun room

04/22/2014

John L.

Description of Work
In process. Work has not begun.

09/18/2013

John L.

I was amazed at how nice it looks. The detail work really cleaned it up. I would use them again.

Description of Work
I had them come out and rebuild my deck.

09/13/2013

Robert B.

Archadeck of Piedmont Triad (the Contractor) had built three decks in our neighborhood and was well recommended. However, work is done by one of several teams of sub-contractors that work with the Contractor. Maybe different teams built the other decks. Our project, a screened in room over an existing deck, was handled by Mike Mann (the sub-contractor) and his assistant Matt. Matt was incredibly hard working. If you have read Fine Homebuilding or other sources on how decks should be build, this is different. The construction is much cruder and many of the recommendations are not followed. The approach seems to have been to minimize all costs once the price was agreed. This includes the miscellaneous sub-contractors (electrical, painting, roofing) some of whom were unimpressive and either unskilled or uncaring about their work. First problem: The plans that were drawn up were not followed. The stairs blocked a window that should have had a clear view and ended at the edge of the patio, rather than leaving room for a landing. When I discovered this, excuses were made and “it is too late to change”. Rather than discuss changes from the plans with the owner, the sub-contractor simply went ahead and did what he thought best, or easiest. I suspect he did not even have a copy of the plans at the site. There are lots of decisions that have to be made along the way that affect the outcome of a project like this. Unfortunately, the sub-contractor’s taste and judgment differ from the owners. You want to find a sub-contractor that respects an owner’s participation. This one does not. Second problem: I did not know about wood grades, so the contract did not specify these. The result was that we got the lowest grade of wood, full of knots. It was not dry or pressure treated. Inside, this is not too bad as we covered the floor with rugs. But beware. It does not look like the pretty pictures the Contractor showed us. Screw holes are much more prominent than the pictures show, perhaps because of the fasteners used. The lumber used for outside stairs and handrails has developed cracks and warps within a few months. The biggest problem: The design created new gabled roof over the deck adjoining another gabled roof over part of the house (think of a big inverted W). This design was supposedly approved by Archadeck’s “engineers”. This construction resulted in a large “V” between the two ridges. This was filled with a sloping triangular section. The result was that all the rainwater falling in the area between the two gables was directed to a single point at the edge of the building. Bad idea. Then the structure built to catch the runoff was too small and too low. The result is that in a moderate or heavy downpour, the rainwater shoots over the gutter and falls 25 feet into a flowerbed, where it is digging a hole and undermining the patio. Here is where the Contractor completely failed. Communications with the Contractor, never good once payment was made, have ceased. Neither phone calls nor emails are answered. The sub-Contractor has no interest in doing a proper job of fixing problems. I do not know if the Contractor has any control over the sub-contractor, but it is clear that neither of them is interested in having a satisfied customer. Archadeck headquarters did not respond to my inquiry concerning the “warrantee” they provided. I do not know if Archadeck of the Piedmont Triad is better or worse than other contractors. Overall, while we love our enclosed deck, this has been an unpleasant experience and promises to continue to be so. We are going to have to put more money into fixing shoddy work and materials. Whatever general contractor you hire, get independent recommendations of the specific sub-contractors, and chose one that has done a good job and has had good relations with the owner. Be careful about the miscellaneous sub-contractors as well. Make sure they a reputable. Find people who take pride in their work.

Description of Work
Cut back and refloored an existing uncovered deck, installed new stairs, enclosed deck with roof and and installed sliding windows.

05/07/2013

Carolyn A S.

he proceeded to tell me that the weather made their business slow. MMMM might be the attitude projected. I would NEVER have this person do a job, he was rude, condescending. He would not even answer the questions. I dismissed him; he was not worth the time or the use of my own precious resource my voice. Caroline Smith

Description of Work
I found John Mallard to be condescending; and rude during the interview process. I had scheduled a review of the area and he had a book showing Million dollar homes they did. I lived in a house before; I did all my own work; I now live in a town home. I put in my own Deck, an extended patio, 3 levels of retaining level gardens; 39 to be exact. A rose garden, a walkway, steps up the slope in my backyard. Because I am handicapped with a voice problem; does not equal stupid. Apparently John thought so. At least this is the impression he projected. He would not answer the questions I had on my interview list. I will say, he was prompt; he did come at the right time for the most part. However after looking at his book; I asked him why they would want to do a small town home like this; well

Category sunrooms

Dear [member name removed], thank you for providing feedback with your thoughts about our visit. It is our goal to serve every one of our Piedmont Triad customers with the quality, craftsmanship, and service level that we have been providing for over 20 years in this market. In the past 22 years, Archadeck of Piedmont Triad has weathered 2 recessions. We have customers from 20 years ago that have come back to us 3 & 4 times with more work. We’ve built everything from an outdoor cat playground to large decks and porches. We appreciate those and everything in between. Please accept our apology that we didn’t make you feel that we appreciated the opportunity to work with you. Kind Regards, John Mallard – owner, Archadeck of Piedmont Triad

03/23/2013

Carolyn R.

The experience wasn't the best. They didn't put the wood up that was supposed to be installed, and then they made the hole to big for the gutter. The second crew that did come in did a good job though, and they did tell me that they fired the first crew and stopped a job to bring in there replacements.

Description of Work
They installed a new deck for me.

Category decks

Hi [member name removed], As the owner of Archadeck of Piedmont Triad, I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know your concerns about your experience. We've been building decks here in the Piedmont Triad for over 20 years and we wish that all the crews we hire would be top notch. Please accept our apologies that we had to replace the crew working on your project. Your business, your concerns, and your feedback are very important to us. Thank you for sharing. Sincerely, John Mallard - Owner, Archadeck of Piedmont Triad

02/25/2013

Tom H.

My expectation with their work was not met and their service was very pricey. But I would still use them in the future and be prepared to negotiate with them.

Description of Work
We used Archadeck for roof installation on our patio.

10/17/2012

James G.

Cost was high

Description of Work
Estimate only

03/28/2012

Charles A.

.The project manager came out first and helped us decide what design would be the best for our area. Then the main carpenter that came out he was very neat and very polite. I hardly knew he was hear except for the noise tht was made while he was building. All and all it was a great job. The manager came by every few days to check on the job. Its been great and we love it.

Description of Work
.We used Archadeck to have our deck out back built.

Category decks, sunrooms

Thank you [member name removed]. It was a pleasure working for you!

02/20/2012

BARBARA L.

I am very happy with the finished product. It looks excellent. I might use them again but it would depend on the price.

Description of Work
I used Archadeck to build a three season room.

Category remodeling, sunrooms

06/29/2007

GLENDA W.

This company deserves all A's. There is no question. They are not the cheapest company you will find in this area. They are certainly the best. I love what they built for me and now have the luxury of enjoying the beautiful area on a daily basis.

Description of Work
This company built a rather large porch and deck made of wood off the back of my maybe 2000 square foot home. The wood is wrapped in aluminum and it is attached to the underneath part of my roof.

04/30/2007

KATHLEEN F.

It went very well. I really liked the carpenters that they sent out. They tried hard to do what you asked them to do, and cleaned up well after themselves. They also tried not to do much damage to plants or lawn.

Description of Work
They replaced the posts on my screened porch, replaced some of the floor, put plywood under the floor, replaced my steps, installed Eze-Breeze windows that I can move up and down to keep my porch clean and dry, and installed a new door that I provided.

Category concrete repair, decks, flooring contractor, replacement windows, doors

JOHN F.

We are very pleased with all aspects of the work performed and the beautiful results they gave us. The service people were all courteous. Their price was fair especially considering the quality of the materials and the work that they did. I do not wish to discuss the price but we had shopped around and it was fair.

Description of Work
Archadeck enclosed our existing 16 x 28 square foot porch. They created a screen/sun room area.

02/14/2007

What an experience I must say. The deck is not very nice at all. The wood is seeping up sap and some of the boards are even green. It is disgusting. The workers were not very nice at all. Even the owner was not very satisfying in my eyes. The quality was OK, but for what I paid, it should have been better. Another thing, the project was supposed to take three days and it ended up taking a month, which was not thrilling either. When they came to fix some things, they only fixed one board. I guess I am not very enthused with them at all.

Description of Work
Archadeck build a fairly large sized wooden deck off of my two story home. My back yard actually goes out and kind of slopes down. The deck was built in a particular way so that it was made even with the yard. Its kind of hard to explain; it is really nothing special.

Frank H.

I was very happy with the service. The room is very nice. They had the project completed by the time promised. The workers were friendly and easy to work with. They did a good job. I would recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Archadeck of the Piedmont Triad built a sun room on my existing deck. The room is 12x14 feet and has about 16 windows and a sliding door to the outside. They put lighting outside. Siding was also put on the sun room to match our home.

KATHERINE G.

The deck looks wonderful. I was surprised at how large it was when it was done. You can actually fit two tables and a grill and still have room left over on it. I did have a small problem with the plastic part of the pergola but they came out promptly and took care of it.

Description of Work
I am not sure of the size but I had a large wooden deck built with a wood pergola roof that has a layer of clear plastic to keep the rain out.

01/31/2007

ROBERT D.

Larry returned call promptly and arrived on time. Lengthly consultation four our likes/dislikes, terrain, etc. Larry worked up sketch and altered it until it was what we wanted. Job was quoted on basis of sketch and we accepted. Some days later drawings arrived from their office. They arranged all the permits and utilities inspections. We were given a start date and this was held up for a week with inclement weather. I consider this an uncontrollable delay. Once the job started we were never really sure when or if the carpenters were going to turn up but in the end it didn't really matter as the job was completely finished on schedule. Representatives from the company visited the site as the work was in progress to insure all was well. The completion and full clean-up occurred on the same day.

Description of Work
Stripped decking from old deck. Used piers and joists from old deck and added to them. More than doubled the size to about 16 X 20 feet. They designed a free-form deck with wide steps for better view while sitting. Design included a pentagon shaped area ideal for table and chairs. Lattice around and access gate for storage area under deck.

08/07/2006

THEIR DESIGN WORK IS VERY INNOVATIVE. THEY DID AN EXCELLENT JOB. I THOUGHT THEY WERE VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE IN THEIR FIELDS. I WOULD RECOMMEND THEIR SERVICES.

Description of Work
THEY BUILT A CAR PORT AND A DECK.