We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

Tropical Painting & General Construction Company

Founded 2007 • With Angi since April 2012

5410 Hadrian Dr.

Durham, NC 27713

Our Company understands the importance of proper maintenance and continual upkeep of a home. With quality workmanship and top of the line paint products including Green products, Tropical Painting works very hard to ensure that our customers get the best value for their dollar. We stand behind our work & guarantee your satisfaction....

11/23/2020

Donald B.

They did really job! Reasonable price.

Description of Work
They replaced a piece of a drywall on the ceiling.

Category drywall

10/02/2020

Robin C.

We have used Tropical Painting in the past for other projects. Last year they did a great job of replacing our old deck, so we recently had them come back to screen it in. Michael came out in advance to look at what we wanted done, and answer all of our questions. His team of carpenters completed the project in three days, and did a wonderful job! The completed project is exactly what we wanted and did not exceed the estimate provided. The work area was left totally cleaned up.

Description of Work
screened in a deck

Category decks, cabinet refacing

08/20/2020

Jenny S.

Mike and his team did an absolutely wonderful job on our kitchen remodel, which included removing a wall, building out a peninsula, tiling the floor, tiling the backsplash, and installing new light fixtures. We've already hired them to do a second project. Mike is very responsive and incredibly easy to work with -- would absolutely recommend!

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel

Category ceramic tile, electrician, lighting, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

05/27/2020

Kaleb T.

We needed a bathroom remodel complete. We are an organization that helps families with children with special needs and Tropical came in and up-fitted a bathroom to make it handicap accessible. The service provided even during this COVID-19 pandemic was excellent the men all wore mask. gloves and made sure that they did not come in contact with family members by providing a tent system around that area. Thank you Tropical for all the hard work and keeping us safe!

Description of Work
bathroom remodel

Category home remodeling, cabinet refacing

05/15/2020

Zuri W.

Professional, quality work, knowledgeable, responsive.

Description of Work
varies

Category ceramic tile, decks, drywall, electrician, picture framing, hardwood floor, lighting, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, screen repair, siding, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, cabinet refacing, doors, epoxy flooring

Thank you so much.

05/08/2020

Kelly G.

We unfortunately had a terrible experience with Tropical Painting. They were supposed to do a $13k bathroom remodel. We paid them half upfront and after the demo and weeks of little to no progress and a failed inspection, we had to fire them. They were extremely slow, didn't communicate, did really poor quality work, and left a pile of garbage in our driveway and house for weeks that they said they would pick up in the first week. They demo-ed our bathroom the first week of the stay at home order, so we were living with a demo-ed bathroom for five weeks until we finally fired them. In that time, there was almost no work done after the bathroom demo except for moving a light switch and installing a light. We were told the delays were for inspection, so when the inspection finally came halfway through the fifth week, we were so excited to get our bathroom going for real. The inspection failed. I was told by tropical painting that the failures were from old plumbing, not from the work that tropical had done. I asked for a record of the inspection but was told there weren't records, but they would try to write up a summary. I contacted the city and had a report of the inspection within the hour, and discovered the three of the four violations were work that tropical or one of their subcontractors had done. I got a plumber to come out the next day and take a look. The plumber found even more code violations in their work, and nearly all of the plumbing work that they did has to be redone for $3300, including $1350 worth of plumbing we had already paid them for. I started working with the city immediately and found that it's very possible to pull my own permits and hire for each part of the job. I've already got people lined up who come highly regarded, instead of relying on work from a contractor who is a generalist and not a specialist. Furthermore, I can actually schedule when they'll be here, instead of hoping someone will show up to work that day and wondering what the heck happened when four days go by and no one shows up, emails, or calls. Would not recommend.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Category plumbing, home remodeling

We really do appreciate this feedback, Mr. and Mrs. Garvey and we do understand some of the frustrations during these times. We strive at all times to keep our customer happy and satisfied and as per every call and conversation we feel we maintained transparent communication via phone, text or emails many times a day. We have been doing this type of business for over 20 years and sometime issues do arise and it is our job to effectively handle them and maintain the integrity of the project and that is always our 1st importance. Usually we can maintain good relationships even during hardship and I am sorry you felt different about that. Mistakes will happen sometimes, our time lines and goals may change ; it’s a fact of life and here at Tropical Painting & General Construction Co. we try very hard to maintain total transparency and we pride ourselves on delivering the finest quality of work. We do wish you both the very best in moving forward

09/17/2019

KENDALL P.

Job went really well! We worked with a 3rd party designer beforehand, so had (almost) all materials ordered and on site before starting. Mike was cool with a couple of minor changes along the way. Stuck to timelines as much as possible. We were really happy with the end product and would use Tropical again.

Description of Work
We contracted with Tropical to do a full bathroom remodel. This included demo of existing soaker tub, shower, floors, toilet, mirrors, and lights over vanity. Tub water lines capped as we didn't need/want the tub. New tile floors installed. Completely new shower enclose constructed with tile floors and walls. Existing vanity was removed, raised 3", and reinstalled. Drywall replaced/repaired as needed. Toilet installed. Existing ceiling mounted light fixture was moved to line up with a second light fixture; both fixtures were changed out to LED fixtures. New LED fixtures installed over vanity. New mirrors installed.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, plumbing, home remodeling

08/24/2019

Marlene B.

I had a great experience working with owner Michael and his crew. They were professional, prompt, efficient and the bathroom looks great. There was a initial problem with some tile work in the tub, but Michael immediately resolved the problem, and they redid the work to my satisfaction. Michael was always very responsive and made sure to keep me in the loop during the renovation. I will hire him again for other projects!!

Description of Work
Complete bathroom renovation

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

07/04/2019

Danielle F.

I was very pleased with the work from Tropical. Everyone I worked with - the owners, painters, and carpenter - were very kind, courteous and responsive. They were efficient and did beautiful work for an affordable price.

Description of Work
Painting and moulding installation

Category drywall, woodworking, interior painters

05/04/2019

Steve H.

Tropical has been my "go to" professional for all my painting and minor contracting work. Pricing is always fair. Their work is absolutely perfectly done every time, with a level of care and detail that is rare to find. Everyone on the crew, from Mike on down, is courteous, pleasant and very well-skilled. Obviously, highly recommended.

Description of Work
remove, repair rotted exterior window trim, paint all adjoining windows and doors

Category woodworking, house painters

Thanks , [Member Name Removed] we enjoy working with you as well.

03/12/2019

Jeannie G.

ABSOLUTELY GREAT! Very professional workmanship, excellent pricing, and courteous service. I'd definitely hire them again!!

Description of Work
Kitchen tile backsplash (removal; new sheet rock; new tile)

Category home remodeling

Thank you so much!

01/24/2019

Tim S.

Tropical Painting and General Construction did an outstanding job! They were punctual and courteous at all times and they were professional at all times. I would highly recommend this company to anyone needing any painting or general construction jobs within the home! Again, their work was simply outstanding!

Description of Work
Interior painting of ceiling in bathroom and trim repair/replace and painting interior walls and trim of the home.

Category interior painters

Thank you so much pleas review us on google as well if you have time. We also post specials on our website page Tropicalpgc.com!

09/30/2018

Alastair C.

It went great. This spring, my wife and I contacted Tropical Painting to remodel our master bathroom, after previously using their services for painting before moving into our new home in Fall 2017. Mike has been a pleasure to work with. Very professional, always answered our questions and took the time to explain or point out things that we should be aware of, even for unrelated work. Tropical remodeled a small stall bathroom with adjacent closet to accommodate a much larger glass door shower by incorporating a bit of the closet space. In addition, the flooring was replaced, cabinets and room repainted, pocket door with mirror installed and lighting replaced with recessed LEDS (now controlled by smart lighting). The people working with Mike (Orlando, Rafael, Abo, Porfulio and others) were great! Very professional, kept areas clean and tidy after the day was over and answered any questions I had. While this was being done, we made some additional requests such as replacing a food disposal, replacing a basement door, etc. for other parts of the home and Mike was able to accommodate. My wife loves it!

Description of Work
Master Bathroom remodel

Category contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, glass repair, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, cabinet refacing

09/25/2018

Mimi H.

Again, the Tropical Painting and Construction team has wrought a miracle on a room in our house! When a large chunk of the dining room ceiling of our 1927 home collapsed on the Saturday of Hurricane Florence, they were out the next day to replace the ceiling, repair time-aged walls and make the room come alive with fresh paint. I’ve never met a person who works harder or with more care and generosity than Rafael. He worked five days straight, sun-up to sun-down. Abo worked straight through lunch, we had delightful conversations. Ask him about his pasta recipes! Mike, the owner, is wonderful to work with—patient and knowledgeable—and the work of Tropical is always thoroughly done and reasonably priced. This is the third time I’ve hired Tropical, and I’ll continue to do so.

Description of Work
Replacing a ceiling, repairing plaster walls and repainting of ceiling and walls.

Category drywall, interior painters

09/17/2018

David N.

The job took 3 weeks instead of the one I was quoted. There were several days that no one worked on my house. The owner was difficult to work with, and in the end, extremely rude.

Description of Work
Painting and construction

Category drywall, plastering, wallpaper removal, interior painters

07/28/2018

Lucretia G.

After rescheduling issues, the job went perfect. Professional and a job well done. I would use them again.

Description of Work
Kitchen backsplash

04/23/2018

Robert M.

We have had Mike and his crew do several projects for us over the years (house painting, repair work, power washing). We have always been 100% satisfied with his work. His crew is punctual, courteous, and provide professional results. We had a hole in the ceiling cut out for plumbing work. After the repair, you couldn't even tell there was a hole to begin with. I would highly recommend Tropical Painting and Construction and would not hesitate to use them again.

Description of Work
Ceiling repair

Category drywall, pressure washing, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

04/21/2018

Ketan S.

After few years of delay, the work is completed with much of my satisfactions.

Description of Work
Inside Painting.

02/14/2018

chris G.

Mike and his crew were very professional and did an excellent job. Honestly, the paint job came out perfect. On top of that, Mike charged about half of what other contractors wanted to charge. Just an amazing guy and a great company. The main painter, Porferio, was top notch. He was very thorough and took pride in his work.

Description of Work
Mike’s crew painted several rooms in our home.

Category plastering, interior painters

12/13/2017

Kacey Z.

Someone came and talked to me, brought paint chips, and even sent a quote. I responded affirmative and never heard back. I would change my review if they ever respond and actually do the work.

Description of Work
Kitchen cabinets painted, backsplash replaced and interior painting

Category ceramic tile, interior painters

[Member Name Removed] I totally missed the response the email was opened on accident and saved back to the original email that was my estimate. I have reached out to you on email and if you are still wanting to do business with me please respond back to schedule. Again please I truly apologize for the miscommunication on this. Michael

11/29/2017

Tina C.

Paint chipped up in 5 weeks. Very nice to come back and re-do but paint came off in chunks right after. DO NOT RECOMMEND FOR GARAGE FLOOR!

Description of Work
Garage floor paint & epoxy

Category interior painters, epoxy flooring

11/20/2017

Susan M.

The painter (Mr. Clemente) was great. He was professional and a hard worker. The job he did was excellent.

Description of Work
Painting in bedroom and walk-in closet

11/05/2017

Ketan S.

Amount has been paid and no response from Tropical Painting and General Construction Company. It seems that I lost my payment of $999

Description of Work
I have purchased $999 Professional Painter for a week deal back in Sept. 2015. Due to personal reason, I was unable to get the work performed. Now we are ready to get the work done as "Paid value never expires", I contacted the provider. I had few email exchanges and repeated request from Angie's list as well. My past two messages from Angie's list are not responded back even.

Category interior painters

[Member Name Removed], We had communicated about this situation. You purchased this deal over a year ago and when asked to schedule we never heard back. You contacted us a few months ago about having this deal fulfilled and the best remedy at this time is that we speak and set up a time to meet. I will contact you by personal email today to set up a time.

10/09/2017

Teresa S.

Didn't show up first day, showed up 2nd day, had to tear out original tiles, cut into a brand new shower that Brytons just installed. They did paint for free because the wall was so torn up, but the floor tile and wall tile doesn't line up. In all the job took an entire week and several unneeded trips to Lowes for more tile that shouldn't have been needed if the owner had showed up the 1st day because the worker could not speak English

Description of Work
bathroom floor tile and paint

Category ceramic tile, interior painters

Thank you for letting us come in and remedy this situation.

10/04/2017

Maureen Maguire L.

The painter himself was excellent, but trying to get hold of the company was very difficult.

Description of Work
Popcorn ceiling removed.

Category interior painters

Complete Flooring Works LLC.

We are here to help you with professional hardwood sanding and refinishing, hardwoods, laminate and luxury tile installations.

Sun4light.Inc.

As the area's ONLY VELUX Dealer Installer, Sun4Light provides homeowners superior products and installation. Velux Sun Tunnels and Skylights are manufactured in South Carolina and delivered to our warehouse within two to four days. Our team of installers has more experience in tubular lighting (solatube, sun tunnels, sola tubes) than anyone in the country! With a solutions-oriented approach to day-lighting, our specialist will provide you with the best lighting solution! All installations are warranted by the manufactured against leaking! Give us a call for your free in-home evaluation! Ask about how our products can qualify for a 26% solar tax credit. Beginning November 2020, Sun4Light,Inc. expanded product and service offerings to include roofing!

BK Roofing And Seamless Gutters

Award winning. Free estimates on all your gutter and roofing needs. We offer 5&6 inch seamless gutters, 20+ colors to choose from, gutter cleaning, leaf guard protection, fascia & soffit wood repair and much more. Call us today for your quick and free estimate by a team you can trust. Mention Angie's List for 10% off any completed service. Additional DBA - BK Seamless Gutters. Additional email - bking4410@gmail.com. Additional service area: Wilson, Edgecomb, Franklin, Halifax & Greenville.

Offers by BK Roofing And Seamless Gutters on Angi

Black Owned & OperatedBlack Owned & Operated
    Minority Owned & OperatedMinority Owned & Operated
    Se Habla EspañolSe Habla Español

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Tropical Painting & General Construction Company

How is Tropical Painting & General Construction Company overall rated?

Tropical Painting & General Construction Company is currently rated 4.6 overall out of 5.

What days are Tropical Painting & General Construction Company open?

Tropical Painting & General Construction Company is open:

What payment options does Tropical Painting & General Construction Company provide

Tropical Painting & General Construction Company accepts the following forms of payment: Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Does Tropical Painting & General Construction Company offer free estimates?

Yes, Tropical Painting & General Construction Company offers free project estimates.

Does Tropical Painting & General Construction Company offer eco-friendly accreditations?

Yes, Tropical Painting & General Construction Company offers eco-friendly accreditations.

Are warranties offered by Tropical Painting & General Construction Company?

No, Tropical Painting & General Construction Company does not offer warranties.

What services does Tropical Painting & General Construction Company offer?

Tropical Painting & General Construction Company offers the following services: Exterior & interior painting, power washing, cabinet refacing, restoration, deck maintenance, drywall repair, textured ceilings & garage floor apoxy.