Flooring by Design

Founded 1981 • With Angi since February 2011

PO Box 71620

Durham, NC 27722

Flooring by Design LLC specializes in the professional sales & installation of all your floorcovering needs. Flooring By Design is the best choice for flooring installation & repair in The Triangle & beyond. We offer quality, turnkey service & all of our certified technicians are industry experts.

05/03/2022

miae K.

They did a good job. They were on time. They did it quickly. They are very friendly.

Description of Work
They did an LVP flooring service.

04/18/2018

Jeff W.

Our kitchen was recently remolded and a new marble fireplace was replaced. The crew were asked be cautions when refinishing these areas. The crew did not stain the shoe moldings right the first time before they were nailed down, and did not nail down the shoe moldings at several places. Many places of the base boards above the shoe moldings were stained including newly remolded kitchen cabinets. A corner of the new marble hearth was chipped. Even after the second visit at my request to re stain the shoe moldings and remove the stain, they still missed sections of the shoe moldings behind the pedestal wash basin and in the powder room. The chip was repaired.

Description of Work
Refinishing the hardwood floor on the first floor except the dining room and the living room.

08/21/2017

Barbara G.

They were very good. They would be an "A" across the board. We used them again. Their owner is amazing, he actually comes to the sight to make sure everything is getting done the way it should be done. He's incredibly responsive. When we had been in the house for 2 years they came back and cleaned up some tile stuff without charging us. He's a class act.

Description of Work
Install flooring.

08/21/2017

Barbara G.

They were amazing actually. "A" for everything. I will always use them, they are great.

Description of Work
Floor replaced in basement. We had a special flooring put down that can be pulled up and put down again if there is ever water damage.

02/14/2017

Austin B.

Flooring by Design did a good job.

Description of Work
Flooring by Design did our floors.

11/17/2016

Phylis A T.

I will consider calling them again for future bids.

Description of Work
They came and talked to me, and we talked about it, but I wound up not buying the carpet from them.

Category carpet installation

07/11/2016

Priyesh P.

Flooring by Design was very attentive to our needs and worked very hard to help us get our job done quickly since we had time constraints. They did an excellent job, were very professional, and communication with them was very quick and easy. The price was in the middle of estimates, but their work quality and professionalism were better than any other company we have worked with. Would highly recommend to others.

Description of Work
Replace linoleum in kitchen; add on to existing laminate

11/11/2015

Lisa M.

Initially we were very impressed with the " spoken" estimate that we received at the Southern Home Show. We were in the process of pricing other companies, had an estimated measurement and cost. When the actual written estimate was presented, it was substantially higher. We asked why and their answer was the measurements were not correct. However, we were not comparing the total cost, we were comparing price per square foot installed. We continued to discuss and they offered a small discount. We decided to go with them for the job. The communication after the contract was signed and I had written them a check was very poor. I would say of all the communication for the job, I was the one contacting them 85 %, not them letting me what was going on. They were late, they didn't get done the amount of work they said they would, etc. I had to call to see where they were, what was going on, when it would be complete, etc. They damaged furniture and broke a few things, did not tell us. We found these things in looking over the job after the first day. ( they did repair the damaged furniture in a timely manner) They had three places in the carpet that were not acceptable and they came back and fixed those issues. We still have " knots" under the carpet which they explained was the cushion. I asked for extra thick padding , was told that is what I was getting, I explained and asked many times how I wanted it to feel and if this would accomplish this, and it did not once it was installed. The workers left fast food trash in my yard that I cleaned up. We found nails in our drive way the first two days, and then after they left I found a pile of nails right in the path of where our cars go into the garage. I discussed my concerns and issues with the person we were directly working with, he responded with with mostly one word responses. After the carpet was in and I was still asking questions and had concerns I never heard from him again. I contacted the owner on the phone, he seemed concerned and wanted to know the details. I sent him an email with pictures, copies of emails and texts, a timeline to the email address he gave me. I sent the first one on 6/30, the second on 7/6, and a third on 7/22 and have yet to hear from anyone at the company.

Description of Work
carpeted upstairs bedrooms, hallway and stairs

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor, hardwood floor, floor cleaning

08/02/2015

Jana W.

The first time the flooring team came in, they sanded and refinished the job was awful. The color on the stairs was not blended, there were nails sticking out of the handrail, there was a tremendous amount of stain that was dripped or splashed on the walls and kick plate of the stairs. There were fingerprints on my ceiling. The color on the remaining floor was not stained well at all, there were obvious color blotches where the stain was not applied properly and it looked horrible. They even scratched the floor where they moved furniture back in. The toilet and sink in the powder room were supposed to be removed for the floor to be refinished. This did not happen and the toilet and sink were stained along with the floor. One of the workers tried to cover the stain on the toilet and sink by painting over it-which only made it worse. I was very disappointed. The only reason I am giving the company a C and not failing grade is that they did come back and re-sand the floors and stairs and re-stain everything. The final project looks great. This was extremely stressful and h****** my family as we had to move out of the house again, board our dogs again and deal with the inconvenience of our house being in a state of flux for 1 1/2 months vs 2 weeks. When you commit as much money to a project, do your homework by reviewing on Angie's List, you expect to get a good job and get the job done correctly the first time. They were not the cheapest bid, but there reviews were good. I would not recommend this company and will not use them for any future projects. I don't know where the pride in workmanship comes into play. Disappointing.

Description of Work
Pulled up carpet in master bedroom and put down hardwood floors. Sanded and refinished remaining floors in house including the staircase and replaced hand rail.

Category flooring contractor, hardwood floor

We couldn't agree more. We took 100% responsibility for how bad of a job that our company did the first time. As soon as the first job was completed we agreed to re-sand the entire floor again because of how bad the initial job looked. One thing that was failed to be mentioned is the fact that we reimbursed the client for 100% of her expenses while we refinished the entire job again including hotel, food, and pet boarding. We understand that this doesn't account for the inconvenience that we put our client through but we did do everything we could after the fact to make our client 100% satisfied. We are happy to hear from your review that we accomplished that. No company is perfect although we strive to do so for every client. But when a problem occurs we take pride in resolving it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

07/28/2015

Brandon P.

The provider did not show up, and did not call. I sent a message on 6-29 advising them that I was disappointed that they did not call or show up. No response.

Description of Work
Contacted the provider through Angie's List to get them to come out to give me an estimate on replacing a tile tub surround and a bathroom floor. Provider responded quickly and agreed to come out on 6-29-15 at 11:30 AM to provide an estimate.

Category ceramic tile, hardwood floor

04/05/2015

Kenton W.

From proposal through install the provider made the process easy. The quality of the carpet was first rate and the price was competative. The installers were prompt and professional. They moved the heavy furniture taking extra care not to damage floors or walls. I have no reservations recommending this company for your flooring needs. Their knowledge and professionalism far exceed any companies i have dealt with in the past.

Description of Work
Replaced carpet in master suite

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor, hardwood floor

03/14/2015

Dave and Sheila C.

They did a high quality job of installing. It looks great. Salesman was helpful in selecting products and suggesting color schemes. Very accommodating at letting us bring samples home to view in the kitchen. Installers were professional had tried hard not to be disruptive while they were here. Only negative was it took twice as long to install as they originally told us.

Description of Work
Removed our vinyl kitchen floor and replaced with ceramic tile. Installed a ceramic tile back splash on the kitchen wall.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, hardwood floor

01/20/2015

walter B.

They did a great job. The cost was reasonable and within range of other quotes we have gotten, but they weren't the cheapest. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used Flooring by Design for carpet work probably in September.

Category carpet installation

12/12/2014

carollynn J.

The wood was delivered on a Friday so it could acclimate to the house. On Monday, the installer and his helper came. They were fast and efficient and very polite. They had to rip up all the old carpet and then prepare the floors for installation. They moved the furniture from one side of the room to the other to complete one side first and then moved the furniture onto the completed side to do the other side. It only took two days total. I would hire them again and likely will when I have my master bedroom redone. I am very pleased with the results and with the workers.

Description of Work
Installed oak flooring in living room and dining room. Installed bamboo flooring in a bedroom.

11/20/2014

Kathleen C.

The removal of the old floor and installation of the hardwood took 4 days. There were several different installers involved although the main crew chief was the store owner. Both he & the other crew chief are very experienced; they also did a fair amount of the work. The removal operation uncovered several surprises that led to additional expenses: fixing a section of rotted wood in one room and removing the vinyl hidden under the hardwoods in the kitchen. Also, the kitchen & first floor bath had wrinkles because for some reason the hardwood was not installed under the dishwasher or bathroom cabinet. The installation of the hardwoods went smoothly except for issues with the master bedroom that actually resulted from the way the previous owner had installed laminate on the 2nd floor. Plus when I worked with the sales associate on my original order we did not discuss what to do around the slate area in front of the fireplace. The crew chief suggested framing it and it looks great. They were careful with the furniture that had to be moved and they cleaned up thoroughly. The work on the upstairs storage closet was done by a different crew about a week or so later -- the delay was because they had to wait for the vinyl I ordered to be delivered. This was a small operation & it was completed quickly. This crew also cleaned up thoroughly. Whether planned or not, everyone worked hard & was very professional. I stayed home the entire time they were working & was very pleased by their work ethic. The quality of the work is excellent. One of the reasons I chose Flooring by Design is because they take responsibility for the installation rather than contract it out. I have more flooring work I want to do in the future and I will definitely use this company again.

Description of Work
Removed old flooring (mix of carpet & hardwoods) and installed new hardwood flooring on first floor & in master bedroom on second floor. Replaced carpet with vinyl in storage closet on 2nd floor.

11/15/2014

Susan F.

Jon came out to give us a quote. He arrived on time and was very responsive to my questions via email as I tried to select a company from the three that I had quotes from. The quote from Flooring by Design was in the middle. The most expensive quote (~$1000 more) did not include moving any of the furniture and would only apply 2 layers of oil-based polyurethane. The least expensive quote (~$500 less than Flooring by Design) included moving only a couple of pieces of furniture, but did include 3 coats of oil based polyurethane. However, that quote also indicated that there might be additional charges that could be applied once the work was in progress. Flooring by Design agreed to move all of the furniture to other parts of the house or garage, strip, stain, and then apply 3 coats of oil based polyurethane, and when the last coat had dried, put back all the furniture. All quotes indicated that it would take about 4-5 days of work. We agreed on a starting date and the first crew arrived, although about an hour later than I expected since their GPS sent them to the wrong place. Another 2 man crew arrived somewhat later after they finished up another job. The 4 men moved all of the downstairs furniture to other places (including the refrigerator) and covered up built-in cabinets, bookcases, cupboards, and counters with plastic. We had previously moved all of the wall hangings. In the afternoon Jason appeared and we discussed the stain I wanted. I was concerned about one area in the kitchen where the floor was sun-bleached (after 12 years), but much darker where an area rug had covered the floor. We were trying to use the protected area to determine what stain to use. They were able to do the first strip that day as well. On the second day another set of men also arrived late having been sent to the wrong address by their GPS. I would have thought that the first crew would have alerted the second group. They re-stripped the old polyurethane and stain and they gave me several options for the stain color. We decided on one and someone was sent out to purchase the stain. I believe they stained the floor that afternoon (2nd day). On the 3rd, 4th, and 5th day they applied the coats of polyurethane. On the 4th day we noticed that although the stripping and staining had completely fixed the area in the kitchen that i had been concerned with, there was now a section in the library where there appeared to be a big difference between the protected and unprotected areas. We discussed this with both Jon and Jason and the crew were instructed to try to fix it prior to the last coat of polyurethane. They were moderately successful, but in doing so another problem appeared - some uneven application of polyurethane which appeared in wavy ridges near the entry way. In addition, we found some spots where it seemed no polyurethane had been applied on the last coat. Jason and I inspected the entire floor. I pointed out what we had found and he even found a few other places that we had missed. The polyurethane issues were all fixed, although there was still a problem with the uneven staining in the library. We let the floor dry over the weekend and the crew returned on Monday and moved the furniture back. There were some issues with the refrigerator, since they didn't want to roll it directly on the newly refinished floor. They had some sections of board that they used to disperse some of the weight, but luckily we had some old Pergo flooring from our last house that we gave them to make the process go a little faster. Overall I was very satisfied with the work performed and think it was excellent value for the price. My one issue with the company is that although they offer to move furniture, they are really not equipped to do so. If they want to provide this service, they really should invest in some dollies and belts (to keep cabinet doors closed) to do it safely and properly.

Description of Work
Refinished all the hardwood floors in the house.

Category flooring contractor, hardwood floor, floor cleaning

09/17/2014

Deborah A.

I worked with Heath Cotton to coordinate this job. He was an excellent representative for the company -- professional, knowledgeable & friendly. Most of all, he was honest about how he could do the best job on my floors and then worked very hard to submit a reasonable proposal to meet my budget. I had solicited three bids, and while his was not the cheapest, I decided I would get the most value and the best job for the cost. He worked within my schedule as well, and they did the job on time and as promised. He matched an exotic wood and did a beautiful job of blending it seamlessly in the new room. And the floors they refinished came out beautifully. I would highly recommend Flooring by Design and Heath Cotton for any wood refinishing job you might be considering.

Description of Work
Flooring by Design totally refinished all the wood floors in my new house as well as installing new wood flooring in one bedroom to match the existing.

Category flooring contractor, hardwood floor

05/07/2014

Thomas W.

I met the technician at a potential short sale house for estimates on replacing carpet for the entire upstairs and staircase. He was on time. He gave the best information about every aspect of the potential job. He was quite knowledgeable and was able to provide several different options to fit my budget. Unfortunately, the short sale fell through, so I did not wind up needed any carpeting, but I would have definitely used Flooring by Design and will if I need any work in the future.

Description of Work
Estimate for carpet replacement.

04/14/2014

Holly H.

We had a couple of spots upstairs where the floor made horrible popping noises when stepping on them. I had a hard time finding someone to look at it as no contractor wanted to deal with having to pull up and put back carpet and not many carpeting companies will do flooring repair without having to install a new carpet. Jon B at flooring by design was very helpful and came out to the house to evaluate the situation and put the right people on the job. It was hard to diagnose without pulling up the carpet so he estimated a worst case scenario and then we ended up paying less for the job when it become apparent that plywood would not need replacing. They came up with a fix that solved the problem but didn't require any removal or fix to the subflooring and so far it is working well. The crew did a good job of putting back the carpet and ironing the seam, etc....I would recommend this company.

Description of Work
We had a couple of spots upstairs where the floor made loud popping noises when stepping on them.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor, hardwood floor

03/05/2014

VALERIE M.

They provided excellent service. Arrived on time. Were very professional. Cleaned up after the job was finished. I would recommend for similar jobs.

Description of Work
Replaced floors in kitchen and study, one cork, one laminate.

10/10/2013

Patricia B.

The entire team was amazing from being punctual for estimates, providing me reasonable estimates and the quality of the work. When the actual work began, the Flooring by Design team explained the process and worked with me on the surprises we found underneath the carpet in a few areas. The days the work took place, they were on time and finished as expected even with the additional work I had to add to the project. And the floors look amazing! You can't even tell where the new boards had to be weaved into 50+ year old flooring. I would recommend them to anyone and they were the best part of my home renovation project. I am excited for them to redo my kitchen floors in a few months!

Description of Work
Removed old carpet in 1950s house and refinished original white oak floors and weaved in new boards where needed. Also removed carpet in bathrooms and put in laminate floor until I remodel the bathrooms.

08/26/2013

DEANN C.

They were honest with the estimate, answered all my questions and made adjustments as needed to the line items. They allowed me to choose to use a remnant which reduced the price even further (bath is very small). I'm not sure about price since I don't have the invoice in front of me but it was very inexpensive. When I had questions during installation, they were very patient with a worried homeowner and assured me they stand behind their work. They left the subfloor for a couple house with a fan on it for a while to dry it out and returned later in the day to complete installation. They patiently caulked every additional place I asked them to and made sure I was satisfied before they left. It was a small job, but they were patient, professional, very reasonable price-wise and prompt. So far, the floor looks great and no issues.

Description of Work
Replaced the vinyl flooring in my small bathroom after a toilet leak.

08/16/2013

Gloria H.

The people working onsite were great. We ran into some under house issue onces we removed the existing floor and built in bookcase. Flooring by Design were great to work with since we had to stop in the middle of floor and get underhouse issue fix. They really worked with our schedule. Each day at the end of their work - they cleaned up everything. All of the crew was great. The floors look great.

Description of Work
Prefinished hardwood floors in den, dinning area, foyer, hallway

05/10/2013

Misty L.

They were quick to come estimate. Worked with us on our budget. Easy transaction. I would recommend they beef up the business end. They didn't seem organized.

Description of Work
Kitchen floor installed. Floating floor system.

04/09/2013

David A.

Very good. Heath was professional,responsive, and provided a written quote after surveying the work needed. Scheduled and completed work within a week of calling him. Helped me choose color by applying a few different colors to the floor so I can see what they would actually look like rather than on a piece of paper or other wood sample. Workers put up plastic to protect rest of house from dust, and I didn't see any dust afterwords, even in the room they worked in. Crews were polite and friendly. Only issues I had were that the floor didn't seem as smooth as my other floors in the house and one piece of quarter round had a black knot that was cracked and looked bad. They quickly came back and replaced the quarter round and applied a 4th coat of sealer to address the smoothness. There was a few pet hairs trapped under the sealer which I was told could have come up from the vents during the 4th coat, and the floor still wasn't as smooth as I expected but was good enough so we left it. The floor looks great.

Description of Work
Finishing of oak hardwood floors. I didn't say "Re"-finishing since this was the first time the floor was finished after installation(I installed the floor and just had Flooring by Design sand and finish it). This included sanding, 4 coats of water based sealer(3 standard coats + 1 add'l to address my smoothness concern), material, installation & sealing of quarter round edge moulding.