Advantaclean Environmental of Durham

Founded 1994 • With Angi since January 2011

6409 Fayetteville Rd #120-330

Durham, NC 27713

Founded in 1994, AdvantaClean and its affiliates have established themselves as premier providers of essential services related to indoor air quality in the residential, commercial and governmental market segments....

07/28/2017

Hillel A.

The quality control is simply not there. Entire sections of both polyethylene vapor barrier and insulation were not installed. Dave Cotton did respond and addressed the issue, but only after we sent the photos. In addition, one portion of the crawl (separate entrance) appeared to have not been remediated at all. The polyethylene vapor barrier sheets overlapped, resulting in moisture getting trapped between them and exacerbating the problem. We were told that the we could stay in the house during the remediation - an unsound practice for anyone with health issues as they will be exposed to EPA registered (not EPA approved) biocides. That exposure is compounded by not sealing any electrical or plumbing line penetrations into the crawl. Regarding the cleaning of the ducts, no amount of duct cleaning is going to solve your problem if your air handler is mold-prone (which they did not check) and would require a HVAC license to work on (also missing - but typical for most remediation companies ). To complicate matters, most HVAC companies want nothing to do with mold because of any liability issues. Three years later, we brought in a full service company doing HVAC, Electrical, and Remediation, Mead Environmental, recommended to us by Dr. Donald Dennis ( a noted ENT specializing in mold disorders). The scope of work included sealing the crawl space and replacing the compromised HVAC systems with systems integrated with dehumidifiers and air purifiers. No biocides are ever used. The crawl space was treated with enzyme using an electrostatic application system. Their approach includes sealing and insulating the air handlers (not done by most manufacturers) to prevent degradation done by the climate in the moisture-laden Southeast and using semi-permeable heavy mill tarpaulins so that moisture is not trapped. That is the difference between a full service company and one that is not.

Description of Work
Crawl Space Remediation

Category air duct cleaning, mold removal

01/03/2017

Lori P.

Very thorough with testing and explanation of how it all works, plus the type of work that needs to be done. Haven't received data from test results.

Description of Work
Assessment of mold and water damage

10/27/2015

Philip B.

Description of Work
Excellent Crawlspace inspection.

04/22/2015

Evan P.

Excellent experience! Fast, efficient, professional and knowledgeable staff. They found and fixed the damage, and worked with us and insurance company to resolve the issues.

Description of Work
Emergency response - water damage repair, demolition, mold remediation

12/23/2014

William A.

the day. That was three months ago. I never heard a word back from them & was never given an estimate or anything else. I subsequently hired Healthy Home Services to handle the job & they were excellent. Advantaclean, however, gave me terrible service. I wouldn't recommend anyone hire them for anything. They were just about as unprofessional an outfit as I've ever seen. I'd give them a grade way below F here, but did not have that option !!!!

Description of Work
I had a moisture & mold problem at my house. Based on info here I called Advantaclean to come out ,take a look, and give me an estimate for remediation.A man from the company came by & took a look. He then told me the owner would be contacting me in a day or two with an estimate. After having heard nothing back from this company for over 2 weeks I called them again, explained the situation, and was told the owner would get back to me by the end of

Category mold removal

Due to concerns involving issues with property conditions and homeowners attitudes we reserve the right to not bid on jobs.

12/04/2014

Dana R.

I have no idea how it could have gone, he never got back to me to discuss prices, times, etc.

Description of Work
He responded via e-mail to my initial request then I did not hear back from him again. I requested more info - no response at all.

Category mold removal

Due to conditions of the property and home owners attitude we reserve the right to not furnish bids on jobs

10/15/2014

Tracy P.

Dave Cotton provided excellent service and advice. He is very knowledgeable about mold and mold growth, as well as proper clean-up. We needed someone certified in air duct cleaning and Dave had all the credentials. We were stressed out to learn we had mold and he was very reassuring. He educated us on the issues and had a careful, detailed plan to correct the problem. His crew arrived as promised (and we allowed them access to our home while we weren't there). They were very careful to ensure the job was done to rigorous standards, they cleaned up upon completion, and left our home in excellent shape. Dave was always available by cell phone whenever we had a question or an issue. I had been told that he was the best in town for mold remediation and I believe it. They also came out several times in the weeks following our remediation to ensure that everything was still ok. They were lifesavers for us!

Description of Work
We needed mold remediation in our home.

Category air duct cleaning, mold removal

05/12/2014

Karen M.

03/20/2014

Jim B.

A house we had under contract for purchase was found by the home inspector to have mold and dampness in the crawl space. In order to get an idea of whether or not the mold was dangerous in regard to health or problematic in terms of damage to the house, I decided to contact a mold remediation company to get an experienced person to evaluate the problem. Based on positive reviews on Angie's List, I contacted Dave Cotton at AdvantaClean. Dave was very responsive and met me at the house the next day to examine the crawl space. He quickly identified the types of mold that were in the crawl space and showed me where the water was entering the crawl space. He explained all of the steps that would be required to remediate the mold and provided me a complete estimate by email on the same day. Mr. Cotton also walked around the outside of the house with me and pointed out the reasons for the water coming into the crawl space. He suggested a number of alternative approaches to correcting the water problems in and around the foundation and offered to refer me to others if I decided to have "french drains" installed to address the water runoff issues that were causing the crawl space to be damp. As it turned out, there were other problems with the home that caused us to walk away from the house without completing the purchase. However, if we had bought the house, or if, in the future, we purchase a house with mold problems, I would not hesitate to contact AdvantaClean to do any needed remediation work. It should also be noted that AdvantaClean doesn't do "crawl space encapsulation" so there was no pressure to have an expensive encapsulation done in the crawl space. Having said that, if you WANT to have the crawl space encapsulated, Mr. Cotton will refer you to a reliable contractor to do the job. All in all, I was impressed with Mr. Cotton in terms of responsiveness, professionalism and expertise and would call him first if I needed to address a mold problem in my home.

Description of Work
Evaluated mold contamination in crawl space and estimated clean up cost.

01/17/2014

Mark W.

All I can say is, wow. The difference is night and day. Dave Cotton and his associates are friendly, knowledgeable, and honest. The work was done exactly as they said it would be and the price didn't change. My wife is very sensitive and had a lot of breathing problems before we got the mold cleaned. She felt better immediately after the work was done. What impressed us the most was how patient Dave was with all of our questions!

Description of Work
Advantaclean cleaned some heavy-duty mold in our crawlspace, removed debris and an old vapor barrier, and installed a new vapor barrier.

01/07/2014

Michael B.

We had a mold outbreak in August of 2013. AdvantaClean responded quickly and did an excellent job removing the mold from our house. The owner took the time to clearly explain everything about the process and was sensitive to the difficulty of experiencing mold outbreak in your home. AdvantaClean was so thorough that they even cleaned my 2-year-old's stuffed Elmo doll. Soon after the mold remediation, we had to have our kitchen cabinets replaced. We were worried that there was mold behind the cabinets. When we told the owner about the kitchen cabinets, he made sure to send out a powerful air scrubber, free of charge, to use as the cabinets were removed, just in case there was any mold hiding behind the cabinets. They did such a thorough job that the scrubber was not necessary. AdvantClean went above and beyond what was expected.

Description of Work
Mold Remediation

11/25/2013

Ann M.

They did a very nice job. I chose them because of their price and availability. They came out and provided a bid after they looked at the space and what needed to be done. They were very professional.

Description of Work
I used Advantaclean Environmental of Durham to do some minor mold remediation and install a vehicle barrier.

11/14/2013

Elizabeth .

This was a horrible situation, but this company made the process about as pleasant as it could possible have been. We had to vacate the house for 3 weeks because the mold was so pervasive, and was at dangerous levels in the air and on the furniture. Dave Cotton, the owner of Advantaclean, dealt with me directly, and walked me through the process, providing me with hypotheses about why the mold problem had happened, as well as with information about why each remediation step needed to be taken. He was accessible by cell phone almost all of the time, and he even responded on weekends. His crew began work promply upon receiving the remediation plan from the certified industrial hygienist. He worked with me on price because the cost of full-house remediation is astronomical. He worked well with the other professionals who were involved in the process (i.e. insurance adjuster, crawlspace encapsulation people, etc.). It seems from my experience that there are a lot of people in Durham area who are in the mold remediation business because people are scared and desperate when they are besieged by mold, and can therefore easily be taken advantage of. Dave Cotton and Advantaclean were a welcome exception to this. I hope I never have to use these services again, but if I did, I would go back to Advantaclean Environmental of Durham.

Description of Work
provided referral to certified industrial hygienists to perform independent mold inspection/evaluation; communicated with industrial hygiensits on remediation plan; provided full-house mold remediation including: reducing humidity in the house to levels that allowed moisture to be drawn out of the walls, steam cleaning furniture (and a stuffed toy my 2-year-old is very attached to), wiping down walls, furniture, and all objects remaining in the house; hauling away materials I had to discard; replacing one air condition duct as stop-gap until I could get another company to do the full replacement, treated ducts/house with ozone. Also consulted with my insurance company (including an extra visit to my house to meet with the adjuster), provided well-researched, thorough advice/recommendations about how to make repairs to my house that would prevent further mold problems.

11/12/2013

Catherine G.

The coupon was for a free estimate of all the work that needed to be done and I have never heard back from them. I had to call them several times to get the appointment made and then they did it. And now, I have no idea what the estimate is but they were on time when they came and their professionalism seemed fine.

Description of Work
I got an estimate from Advantaclean Environmental of Durham probably three weeks ago for mold testing and remediation.

09/18/2013

Jose G.

The owner, Dave, and his workers were especially fantastic. They were very thorough, knowledgable, and prompt. We are fully satisfied with their services.

Description of Work
We used them for mold remediation.

12/31/2012

Susan T.

The work was done quickly. He worked with another service provider (Crawlspace Doctor) to make sure that the mold remediation was completed in a timely manner so that the next part of the project (crawlspace encapsulation) could be scheduled immediately.

Description of Work
Mold remediation in the crawlspace.

10/03/2012

Quentin S.

They sent someone out the next day after I called. It took him probably less than a minute of looking at the heat pump to diagnose the problem. He had a new capacitor in his truck so he was able to make the repair right away and it only took 20 minutes. Heat pump has worked fine since then.

Description of Work
Diagnosed heat pump problem, replaced capacitor in heat pump.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

05/17/2012

michael S.

I had mold and fungal growth in my crawlspace due to a foundation water leak. I had decided to have the crawlspace encapsulated and conditioned by Crawlspace Doctor. Brad Dehring, owner of Crawlspace Doctor recommended Dave Cotten, owner of AdvantaClean to do the mold and fungus remediation. Dave called me promptly and emailed an estimate based on Brad's inspection and the crawlspace square footage. Dave and his crew arrived when they told me they would, removed the insulation, placed the crawlspace under negative pressure to prevent anything from penetrating into the living area of the house and began cleaning the mold and fungus from the joists and subfloor. After removal, all surfaces were wiped down and sprayed to kill and prevent future growth. Dave and his crew were very professional and did a great job. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Removed fiberglass insulation from crawlspace joists, removed and treated mold and fungal growth from crawlspace.

06/29/2011

Scott K.

Thank goodness for AdvantaClean of Durham and especially, Dave Cotton. Prior to meeting Dave at Advantaclean, several prominent and highly rated HVAC service providers visited my home, tried to clean the evaporator coils and tried to remove the moldy dirty sock smell. After their attempts failed, these other providers offered to fix the problem for as little as $6000 (by replacing the unit). After meeting Dave at Advantaclean: He visited my home, opened up the HVAC unit, found the visible mold and offered to attempt a thorough cleaning for $125. He was reticent about offering a guarantee since so many other companies failed, but was confident he could help. I trusted his knowledge and integrity. He performed the work, and fixed the problem! I struggled with a foul odor in my home for months. Dave fixed the problem in less than an hour. Fantastic from start to finish. Dave's team was ultra professional, talented, clean, and paid extreme attention to detail. When dealing with a mold problem, I wouldn't want it done any other way. Then, to provide the ceiling repair too, was icing on the cake!! I recommend Dave Cotton and Advantaclean without hesitation.

Description of Work
Air conditioner evaporator coil cleaning needed. and Dryer on upper level of home was designed to vent through the floor - out the back of the house. Over time, the dryer duct failed causing the dryer to vent warm moist air in between the floor joists at the ceiling of the first floor. Mold resulted, sheet rock destroyed, and an unthinkable about of dryer link accumulated in that space. AdvantaClean came out for a thorough inspection and estimate. I chose to go with them for various reasons, including the owner's (Dave Cotton) knowledge, detailed plan for remediation, and honest discussion about the problems. The came in to provide structural drying and mold remediation services. Containment area constructed and placed under negative air pressure. Inspection and cleaning of the damaged dryer vent exhaust area (between floor joists ceiling and floor) was accomplished with HEPA vacuums and also a negative air machine with HEPA filtration. Air whips will be used to push the lint back towards the negative air machine from the outside vent. The affected area was fogged with an anti-microbial EPA registered product to inhibit any microbial growth. A test swap for presence of mold was furnished. Upon completion of the cleaning process, the existing ceiling was cut back along the tape line to blend into existing structure. The ceiling was smooth plastered ready for paint. (Original estimate exceeded the price I paid for the work. Once Dave was able to inspect the damage, he re-engineered the quote. The original quote was for a worst case scenario. I liked this plan, since there were no surprises)

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning, mold removal

Dryer Vent Wizard of Raleigh, Cary, Durham

We are a locally owned business specializing in cleaning, installing and trouble-shooting dryer vents. We accept cash, checks, credit cards, and we will bill commercial accounts. In some cases we will finance the job accepting partial payment at the time we do the work and spreading the balance over one or two months for the remaining payments. Award winning. Additional fax - (252) 824-5241. Additional phone - (919) 581-5096 .

Professional Restoration Services, Inc.

When disaster occurs, and it always does when you least expect it, call Professional Restoration Services, your preferred insurance restoration specialist. We are a full-service contractor who will mange your loss and restoration project from start to finish with our award winning craftsmanship. PRS is here to serve you with the utmost courtesy and care. We believe in working with our clients in all aspects of the claims process to ensure that the restoration is handles properly the first time. We are a fully insured, North Carolina licensed general contractor serving the Triangle Area with 25 years experience. Within minutes of your call, our IICRC-certified technician will be dispatched to your home and most times, on site within the hour. PRS will work directly with your insurance adjusters to save you time and money. Our on-call technicians are available 24 hours and use the latest, state-of-the-art technology for a quick, thorough, and guaranteed remediation processes. Giving you peace of mind when it matters most.

Healthy Home Restoration

Healthy Home Restoration was established in Cary NC in 2004. HHR has specialized in solving complex problems in crawlspaces related to humidity, pest and mold and is considered the top company in the Triangle area for crawlspace problem resolution and energy evaluation/improvements. Over time sealed and conditioned crawlspaces became the preferred method for constructing crawlspaces under homes. The process of conditioning a crawlspace is so successful it created an entire new industry. As a leader in the industry we pride ourselves in providing a large variety of products to fit our clients individual needs. We will never be a company that supplies only one solution with one product for every need. We constantly work with manufactures and suppliers to provide the best and most cost effective products available. *Free evaluations and inspections when related to emergency claims or water proofing/encapsulation. Services for general inspection of the home when related to mold, odor, suspected moisture issues, and energy audits will have a minimum service fee charged depending on the situation. Real Estate transaction discounts apply.***Does not offer full home inspections and pest control services.***

MasterCard, American Express, Check, Visa

Emergency water & sewage removal. Mold remediation. Odor removal. Air duct & dryer vent cleaning.

Asbestos Removal. Hazardous Waste.