INTELLIGENT DESIGN ENGINEERING

Founded 2007 • With Angi since September 2010

** FEATURED IN ANGIE'S LIST MAGAZINE AS A 2011 BEST CONTRACTOR ** We are a Residential Structural Engineering Firm based in Charlotte, NC specializing in Structural Inspections and Residential Designs. From evaluating foundation cracks and wood damage during on-site structural inspections, to calculating beam sizes to replace bearing walls for renovations, to designing new 20,000 sq. ft. residential homes from the ground up.we do it all! Not only do we perform a forensic analysis of the symptoms during our structural inspections, we provide recommended structural repairs so that you can obtain equitable bids from your choice of contractors. As licensed Professional Engineers, our knowledge of structures in both the field and in design separates us from our competition because it allows us to provide feasible and cost effective solutions. We understand the importance of time, and we pride ourselves on quick turnaround times, quality work, and award winning customer service....

structural engineering (162)home inspection (33)foundation repair (21)architect (10)

01/25/2022

Jeffrey W.

Mr. Calvo came out to my home and thoroughly investigated the framing of the foundation, the walls, and the design plans for our kitchen renovation which included removing walls. This allowed us to provide the GC with a certified engineering plan for all necessary changes for the project to succeed and pass inspections. We received a certified carefully detailed diagram specifying the required changes. The plan drawing called for the contractor to communicate back any discrepancies. Months later the project is in process and Mr. Calvo quickly acknowledged my emailed changes and made modifications to his plan design so the GC could proceed without any delay to the project. I am very pleased with the services that Mr. Calvo and his firm, IDE, have provided.

Description of Work
Analyze and specify certified requirements structural issues with wall removal and foundation for kitchen remodel project.

Category structural engineer, foundation repair

Work Completed On 01/24/2022

06/01/2021

Duncan E.

Patric arrived at the appointed time. He was very professional and after the inspection he explained in laymen's terms the condition of the foundation and his recommended solutions.

Description of Work
Inspect structural integrity of faundation

Category home inspection, structural engineer

Work Completed On 05/04/2021

10/30/2020

Ronnie W.

After a little miscommunication at the beginning, Marcel was quick to make sure things were handled. His service was prompt and thorough.

Description of Work
I needed a crack in my foundation inspected.

Category home inspection

Work Completed On 09/29/2020

08/07/2020

John T.

Joe Calvo with IDE provided the necessary specifications in a timely manner and was always readily available to provide guidance as we completed the project. He was a pleasure to deal with and we look forward to engaging him and his team in the future.

Description of Work
Provide structural engineering specifications for renovation project.

Work Completed On 05/18/2020

07/29/2020

Melissa M.

Very well. They examined the house, thoroughly, inside, out and underneath. They made of list of recommendations for me to pursue to keep my 51 year old home from deteriorating any further.

Description of Work
I needed an assessment of my house, due to crack in the brick.

Work Completed On 07/08/2020

06/18/2020

Angianein W.

Working with Intelligent Design Engineering was a great experience. We are remolding 2 bathrooms and a master closet in our historical 1920's home. Joe did a thorough inspection of our space and explained his findings in terms we could understand. When he left, we had a clear understanding as to what would make our space structurally safe and sound. The best part of starting with this process is we can give his drawings and report to any contractor and get a bid on the CORRECT way to structually build out our remodel. No contractor guess work!

Description of Work
Structural inspection for 2 bathrooms and a master closet remodel

Work Completed On 05/29/2020

02/09/2020

Kyle E.

This is the second time we hired Joe Calvo at Intelligent Design Engineering. Joe exuded confidence and expertise on engineering our home plans as well as on our barn which supports a solar panels array. His communication is spot-on direct and follow-up. He met us at our house to review the plans as well as several conference calls, emails and texts. He wants to schedule a meeting with the framer to make sure he understands his engineering specifications. He gave us excellent recommendations for materials and eco-alternatives which will stand the test of time. Joe is a trust-worthy and competent individual who cares about quality and industriousness. AND he is a super guy whose got your back!

Description of Work
Complete engineering on ou home plans

Work Completed On 02/09/2020

12/10/2019

Kenneth U.

Joe came out and the time we had discussed and was super friendly, very personable, and professional. He had my sketches drafted sooner than agreed. All in all, great experience!

Description of Work
I am working on adding a new deck to an existing structure and will be adding a roof. I was advised I would need this designed by an engineer to ensure it is structurally sound.

Work Completed On 11/22/2019

12/04/2019

Bob J.

Daniel arrived at scheduled time and did analysis of structural problem. He discussed his findings and recommendations while he was here. He was thorough and professional. I received the written report ahead of schedule. The cost of service was reasonable - even a little less than expected. This review is to replace an earlier review I submitted when I didn't get a timely call back from my initial contact.

Description of Work
Evaluate crack in foundation / house

Work Completed On 11/20/2019

11/11/2019

Tim M.

Very good. Daniel was able to explain causes and provide recommendations to resolve our issues. Provided written report with drawings/pictures quicker than committed. Would hire again, and would recommend.

Description of Work
Evaluate crack in brick veneer for foundation integrity

Category home inspection, structural engineer, foundation repair

Work Completed On 11/11/2019

09/20/2019

mary W.

Very well. Initially had difficulty getting in touch with them, but once the appointment was set, the engineer was very punctual and thorough with his analysis.

Description of Work
Engineering report on cracked foundation wall.

Work Completed On 09/11/2019

06/11/2019

Tim S.

Joe was thorough in his analysis and extremely flexible with providing us the documentation we needed to remove a load bearing wall as we opened up our kitchen and living room. He was prompt in his response, provided the documentation we needed when we needed it and most importantly stayed available and involved throughout the project and completion of the building permit. Joe is a true professional and a pleasure with whom to work.

Description of Work
Evaluation and engineering drawings to remove a wall and support with new column and footings.

Work Completed On 04/15/2019

04/29/2019

Marlene H.

The engineer who came to our house, Daniel, from Intelligent design was personable and very professional. He thoroughly inspected our attic and the walls we were considering removing. The news was good (they are not load bearing) but even if it had not been, I am sure Daniel would have offered us some excellent solutions... as it was he was as happy as we were with the good news. He was also very fast at emailing me a very detailed report to share with our contractor. Very pleased with the service provided!

Description of Work
Structural advice concerning removing walls in kitchen remodel

Work Completed On 04/29/2019

02/25/2019

Patrick W.

We wanted to remove interior downstairs wall but needed to determine if wall was load bearing and if so what structural support would be needed. The IDE engineer(Patric) was extremely professional,knowledgeable and courteous. He explained what he was doing through out his evaluation. He took time to answer any questions and was very responsive to e-mail and text messages. Highly recommended IDE and would use again for future projects that required engineering expertise.

Description of Work
Interior Wall Removal plan

12/11/2018

Thomas L.

Contacted IDE and they promptly responded and scheduled my appointment for the following week. Communication was excellent throughout, and the engineer (Patric) was prompt, friendly, and very professional. I received the engineering report exactly when I was told to expect it. I would recommend IDE and Patric to anyone looking to have a structural analysis done on their property and based on my experience, I would expect them to professionally handle any engineering needs.

Description of Work
Engineering analysis of a load bearing wall.

Work Completed On 12/05/2018

11/06/2018

steve P.

This is an exceptional company. I called for an engineer's inspection and report for a crack in our crawl space brick since we're planning on selling our house in a few months. Kathleen took my call and was friendly and helpful. She quoted a ballpark price of $600 - 800 for the inspection, but said the cost might be reduced if the engineer did not find any issues requiring a lengthy inspection. She scheduled an appointment for the following week. The morning of the inspection, Daniel Rochester called a half hour before coming out, and arrived exactly on time. Soon after I showed him the crack he told me it wasn't anything serious and didn't require any repairs. That was certainly good to hear and I appreciated him telling me before I had to ask. He also inspected inside the crawl space and inside the house with a laser level, ensuring that all measurements were normal. Just as Kathleen said, Dan reduced the bill to $400, and will email the inspection report within a week. I was very impressed with IDE and especially with Dan. He's professional, knowledgeable, considerate - a super nice guy. I highly recommend this company and would definitely ask for Dan to perform the inspection.

Description of Work
Inspection and report of crack in crawl space brick.

Work Completed On 11/06/2018

08/20/2018

Kim M.

Mr. Calvo was on time, personable and professional. He examined the house from attic to crawlspace, including measurements and photos of: size and floor levelness of each room, widths of all cracks in ceilings, walls, tile floors. He examined the spacing of attic rafters, crawlspace piers, etc. He took measurements of wood moisture in the crawlspace and checked for integrity of the wood banding and floor joists, etc. Mr. Calvo patiently and thoroughly answered all my questions regarding his inspection (I asked a lot of questions). I found the experience to also be extremely educational as I had mistaken conclusions as to whether or not the cracks were indicative of a serious problem. These wrong ideas came from previous so-called foundation companies that told me I needed very expensive work to done. This turned out to be false and the repairs could have caused more harm than good. The information I received from IDE will now guide me in making any needed repairs.

Description of Work
I needed a structural inspection of my house to determine if the cracks in the ceiling and walls, and cracks in the brick veneer of my late 1950's home were indicative of any foundation issues.

Work Completed On 08/13/2018

08/17/2018

Richard Z.

I felt that they knew what they were doing and confident that they did a great job. We were delayed slightly due to the engineering diagram not being correct to install the supporting piers under they house but they worked with the engineering firm and had the correction made to the diagram so that it fit with the other piers already under the house. They brought in a full crew when it was time to install the beam and it was very well organized. I would definitely recommend them for similar work.

Description of Work
removed an interior wall and inserted a steel beam with support according to engineering spec

Work Completed On 12/01/2018

07/06/2018

Walter R.

The company was great to communicate with, and it was easy to set up the appointment. Joe was on time and a very clear communicator to ensure we were all on the same page with what we wanted accomplished. Joe then delivered the specs within the promised timeline finishing what was all an extremely seamless process. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for this type of service.

Description of Work
Engineer Specs for Wall Removal

Work Completed On 06/29/2018

06/25/2018

Jim H.

I could not expect a better result. Structural Engineering did a thorough evaluation of the need. They provided a list of contractors they had worked with before, then reinspected when the work was complete.

Description of Work
Evaluation of structural issues

Work Completed On 06/25/2018

06/22/2018

Susan S.

Great experience with IDE. Kathleen at the office spoke with me regarding the structural concerns with the front door. She then set up an appointment with the engineer Daniel Rochester. Daniel took time to review my concerns, evaluate the problem, and provided options for the problem. He was very thorough and explained what he found. He then provided a detailed engineering solutions and referrals. Excellent experience with IDE.

Description of Work
Evaluate structural issues at front door

Work Completed On 06/11/2018

06/15/2018

Suzanne H.

From beginning to end, my dealings with IDE were outstanding. I called the office and spoke with Kathleen who was professional and knowledgeable. We made an appointment for one of the engineers to come to my property to do the inspection. Marcel Papineau came out on the day and at the time appointed. He was thorough and efficient. I would highly recommend.

Description of Work
Structural Engineer Inspection

Work Completed On 06/15/2018

04/16/2018

WILLIAM S.

Excellent. Kathleen was excellent. She listened to my concerns very well and set me up with an appointment. Patrick was also excellent. He took the time to review, evaluate, and understand my concerns. He presented detailed engineering solutions to my two problems. And even provided me with referrals. I'm so glad that I took this approach to solving concerns over my cracked foundation and proper removal of a load bearing wall.

Description of Work
Structural Engineering opinion for a crack in my foundation and removal of a load bearing wall.