Walters Fine Carpentry & Bath Remodeling

Founded 1975 • With Angi since August 2014

227 A Jay St

Chapel Hill, NC 27514

Walters Fine Carpentry has been in business for 40 years-20 years in the triangle & surrounding areas. We specialize in bathroom remodeling and ceramic tile.

03/17/2022

Nancy or Daniel C.

Stephen is a true craftsman. He showed us pictures of his past ceramic tile work and gave us suggestions on how to handle our project. The work area was always left clean and organized. He communicated his schedule and was on time each day. Stephen was a pleasure to work with and we would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
remove carpeting in master bath double sink area and install ceramic tile

10/24/2021

Christopher K.

Stephen did an excellent job installing our kitchen backsplash. We had a more difficult design and he remained committed to our project, making sure we were more than happy with the end result. He worked consistent hours and communication was great. He was a real pleasure to have in our home!

Description of Work
Kitchen Backsplash Install

Category ceramic tile, countertops

07/16/2021

Brenda L.

The job was done beautifully . Mr Walters is an excellent craftsman from doing tile work to doing carpentry to plumbing, Every job was perfectly done. He's number one priority. he's making sure that customer is happy and satisfied with his work.

Description of Work
bathroom remodel , door frame was taken out in the kitchen, Put up new dry wall

Category home remodeling

10/14/2020

Jeff W.

Stephen is diligent, dependable, and trustworthy. I have requested his work on two different homes now and would certainly seek him out for future needs.

Description of Work
Stephen performed tile work in a bathroom remodel for. At another house he did extensive general remodeling work including framing, window replacement, door installations, drywall work, siding repair, painting, and tiling in bathrooms and kitchen

Category custom cabinets, remodeling

03/14/2020

Carol L.

It went absolutely fabulously. Stephen arrived every morning and closed at five. He is a well known Professional Carpenter specializing in Ceramic Tile and Bath Remodels. After I hired Lowe’s to redo my flooring and bathrooms they left me hanging for almost 7 months. I was sitting on Kilz Subfloors. Also in unfinished bathrooms. It was horrible. I heard about Stephen Walters and read his amazing reviews. Stephen was very professional, very humble and had extremely competitive pricing. Installation of my flooring is impeccable. My bathrooms are new and beautiful all thanks to him!

Description of Work
Bathroom Remodeled and new flooring.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, home remodeling

01/13/2020

Sandra L.

Great, professional, fair and detail oriented.

Description of Work
Complete bathroom remodel and tiled hallway

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

11/26/2019

Douglas B.

This was a big job for one person (~ 8 weeks) and we worked together on planning and some parts of the job. He works by the hour at a reasonable rate and does not add on any extra charges. He is careful about keeping track of time spent and materials purchased and passes through discounts on tile purchased. He made many excellent suggestions on design features and choice of the highest quality materials. This helped keep costs down and we have a very beautiful tiled shower and tub room with wall tile, new tile floor and a decorative accent. You can contact him for photos. Highest recommendation.

Description of Work
Remodel master bath, worked with owner to develop reasonable cost design, removed walls, demo old tile, some new sheetrock, replaced window and exterior siding, tiled floor, tiled large walk in shower, installed glass block shower wall, tub surround, wall tile to chair rail height, modified plumbing, replaced valves.

Category ceramic tile, home remodeling

08/02/2019

Bob M.

Excellent work. Stephen is a true craftsman. All work was performed in a timely manner with attention to detail. we couldn't be more pleased.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor

06/24/2019

Dennis H.

Stephen is a craftsman who works a full-day and gets to work on time. He is flexible and totally open to client's needs and wishes. My wife and I are happy, and yes, proud of the two bathrooms.

Description of Work
Stephen Walters has done two bathroom remodels for us now. The first was a master bath with walk-in shower with knee-walled glass, all fully tiled floor and walls other than the vanity and facing walls. A modern two-sink vanity is opposite the walk-in shower and toilet. It is open and spacious, with large windows, now re-made. New tub and fixtures by Furguson Showroom, Carrboro. The second bathroom was tiled floor and tub surround, with new tub and fixtures. Two styles of tile were chosen by us for the tub/shower. New Jacuzzi tub and fixtures by Furguson Showroom in Carroboro.

Category ceramic tile, plumbing, home remodeling

05/21/2019

Barbara and Susannah P.

Excellent work, easy to work with, reasonably priced.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodeling.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, plumbing, doors

01/22/2019

Jeff W.

Stephen did an exceptional job. He kept us informed, worked with us on design decisions, paid attention to costs, and performed quality work as agreed. He will most definitely be doing more for us in the future.

Description of Work
Tile installation in bath and kitchen

11/29/2018

Susan T.

Stephen was very responsive to doing the job exactly as we asked. He took time to ensure a job well done. He was kind enough to add a couple of smaller jobs that I needed done around the house when I asked. The tile looks great; we would recommend Stephen to others without hesitation.

Description of Work
Stephen laid tile in an upstairs bath and the downstairs laundry room.

11/05/2018

silmara C.

I hired Walters Fine Carpentry to tile my bathroom floor, the entry way , and my kitchen back splash. They were easy to work with, we made a change in the back splash shortly after they started and it wasn't a problem. Their price was more than reasonable and the work was immaculate. We will definitely use their services again and I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
tile on my bathroom floor, entry way, and kitchen back splash

Category ceramic tile, home remodeling

09/29/2018

Katherine C.

This job did not go well from the start. Stephen could not provide the names of any clients who would allow me to view his previous work, but I decided to proceed because he said that he was skilled enough to do the carpentry, plumbing, and tile setting. The demolition work was carried out by his assistant, a very young (late teens, early 20s) man with a sledge hammer and without proper supervision. He destroyed most of the drywall adjacent to and near the tile that was being removed, necessitating major drywall replacement, which we had to pay for. At the same time, the trim around the windows was so badly damaged that we have to replace it. He also started destroying the cabinet that I wanted to keep, in spite of me saying so 3 times. Finally, he chipped the corner off the bathtub that, again, I had emphasized would be reused. This will cost me $600-$800 to repair. The repair work to the floor and some of the lower wall was completed reasonably well, but there were squeaks in the floor that we had to tell him to go back and brace. He argued that squeaks in the subfloor would not matter once cement board was installed, but we disagreed. He recommended that we remove and replace an exterior wall because of water damage, but we solicited advice from two other professionals who said that the wall could be repaired in place. Stephen wanted to argue with this decision even though we were adamant. Meanwhile, he wasn't planning to rebuild the adjacent wall even though it had worse water damage. He ended up making the repairs that we instructed him to do. The bathtub that was removed was centered in an alcove, but he said that he couldn't reinstall it in the center of the space, even though I pointed out that it had been centered before. Stephen said that there was a problem with moving the water lines for the shower to the wall that I wanted and that he would have to take the lines up under the tub and through a gang of studs to accomplish this. The new plumber moved the lines without any problems like Stephen had seen, and told us that he had capped off the water lines improperly, costing us extra money for parts we didn't need. The insulation in the exterior walls was installed with wire hangers, compressing the insulation. The insulation had gaps at the sides and the top/bottom from being cut sloppily. When we said that it had to be redone, he argued with us, so we terminated our relationship. (Go to Owens Corning YouTube to see the proper way to install insulation in walls.) The new carpenter that we hired had to redo some of the work because of poorly cut boards and lack of bracing. He also finished the frame to center the bathtub when it is reinstalled. We replaced at least twice as much sheetrock as we should have needed to because of the excessive damage. Stephen worked on this job for two weeks, but only accomplished about three days' worth of work, which made his hourly rate quite high. His general response to our concerns about his methods and quality was that he had done it right, even though we both are experienced with general construction and were not trying to cut costs.

Description of Work
Bathroom repair for water damage and remodel

Category home remodeling

We are sorry that this person felt this way about us. Everybody is entitled to there opinion. i just asked people to look at all of the other reviews. i have dedicated the last 40 years to the best work and fair prices. If you have any concerns I will be happy to answer any questions about the review.

07/26/2018

Jill Y.

Steve did a superb job redoing my master bath as well as other house projects. He did the removal (you are responsible for disposal of everything) of all tile and plumping and replaced with new marble tile. He also replaced toilets and faucets in my other bathrooms. He installed a French door and trim for the outside. He is so very nice and willing to the go the extra mile for you. He listens and makes sure you are satisfied with every step he takes. He did well working with and coordinating with other vendors (custom cabinets and frameless shower surround).

Description of Work
Bathroom remodeling and installation of French doors.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, plumbing, doors

06/06/2018

Matthew K.

Steve did a great job, really appreciate it. I will use him for other projects

Description of Work
Bathroom Remodel

Category ceramic tile, drywall, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

11/10/2017

Brandon L.

Stephen revolutionized a dead, ancient bathroom into a sharp modern look. Stephen takes the time to make sure his clients needs and concerns are met, and was very accommodating and responsive to alterations to the ongoing project. He works steadily to produce high quality work and his deep experience ensures this. Finally, Stephen is a gentle, fair, and kind man who you will feel comfortable to have in your home. I asked a lot of him on this challenging project and he always rose to the occasion. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Total bathroom remodel: Remove tub, install standing shower with bench, move vanity pipes, tile shower, shower floor, and bathroom floor.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

08/16/2017

Tom D.

Stephen Walters rebuilt it for me, adding new decking, railings, and stairs. He determined that the original posts and joists could still be used, saving me a good bit of money. The result is a beautiful deck that is built considerably better than the original was. Great work!

Description of Work
The deck on my house was 30 years old and falling apart with age, and it wasn’t built very well to begin with.

Category decks, remodeling, woodworking

07/26/2017

Steve F.

Great. His attention to detail is great. He's incredibly friendly and lets you know exactly what he's doing every step of the way. The final product looks great and he was very thorough in his work. Would strongly recommend!

Description of Work
Tiled a laundry room for us.

Category ceramic tile, remodeling

06/13/2017

Robert B.

Stephen is very trustworthy and reliable. He brings many years of experience and professionalism to the job. We highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Stephen Walters recently completed our total master bathroom renovation. He gutted the room and took the walls down to the studs, moved plumbing lines, built a walk-in shower with a knee-wall (for glass), created a new storage area, installed a hanging two sink vanity, installed German plumbing fixtures, and a new dual-flush toilet. He also installed tile on the floor and shower. His wall-board and painting work is beautiful.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, plumbing, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

02/20/2017

Tom D.

I have continued to call on this company whenever I need work done on my house. They are reliable, do good work, and their pricing is quite competitive. And I have always been impressed by their ethics; both in the work they do and in their pricing. Unlike so many companies these days, they actually take pride in their work and want to be sure their customers are happy with the finished product. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Stephen Walters has done quite a bit of work for me over the years. Initially, he and his team did extensive repair work to a house I was selling that had a lot of wood rot. I was quite pleased with what they did and continued to hire them. In a new home, I had them repair several minor things that had not been done correctly when the house was built. We later remodeled the bathrooms, enlarging the children’s bath and redesigning the master bath. Both required carpentry, plumbing, and tile work. We also replaced linoleum with ceramic tile on the floors of both bathrooms as well as the kitchen (which is shown in the photo). Later, we had them do a second floor addition to a bonus room, enlarging it by 100 square feet to a full-size bedroom. The before and after photos of the exterior of the house can be seen in the photos. We also had the rear deck enlarged and re-styled. Stephen helped with the design and did all the work.

Category ceramic tile, decks, drywall, flooring contractor, plumbing, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

10/15/2015

Donna L.

The project went really well. This is now the third bathroom in my house Stephen has remodeled. They all look fabulous, nothing leaks, and they are a pleasure to use. Stephen is especially skilled with the drywall repair and finish work. He is a fine craftsman and takes care to do everything correctly. He always asks when there is a decision. He has an artistic eye with color and tile placement. I hired Stephen years ago to redo a difficult kitchen tile backsplash, and it still looks terrific. His work lasts. I have asked him to install crown moulding in several rooms next because I know he will be precise and do an excellent job. Stephen always arrives on time, focuses on the job, cleans up the work area, and works hard. His pricing is fair and he has receipts for any materials he buys. I have found Stephen a pleasure to deal with and highly recommend his work. I plan to ask him back for all future home projects!

Description of Work
Stephen tore out the old tile bathroom and replaced the plumbing, and toilet. He added water shut offs, rebuilt the shower, repaired drywall, repaired all rot, and installed hardie board. new tile and shoe moulding He also rebuilt the window frame.

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, home remodeling

03/28/2015

Donna L.

The entire job went beautifully. Stephen is an excellent drywall repairman, and he has an amazing ability to install tile. Not one is out of place and every edge is lined up correctly. His carpentry is exact. Stephen is a perfectionist and everything he touches is meticulously done. His advice is spot on and he tries to get the best price possible for all materials. He is neat, courteous, punctual and very professional. I recommend him highly and will have him back for future jobs.

Description of Work
Stephen remodeled the master bathroom. He installed hardiebacker board, repaired drywall, tiled, put in the toilet, fixtures, faucet, and drain, sanded and painted the woodwork, and installed crown, baseboard and shoe moulding.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

08/10/2014

L T.

Downstairs bath included new fixtures, new toilet, new tile floor, removal of bathtub and replacement with shower with bench seat and niche shelf (new shower pan, new large format tile, new decorative glass tile). Upstairs bath included new fixtures, removal of bathtub and replacement with shower with bench seat and niche shelf (new shower pan, new large format and basketweave tile, new decorative glass, stone, and metal tile). Greenhouse cabinet was rebuilt to duplicate custom measurements and use existing hardware. Pool tile replacement included removing tiles, cleaning as necessary, and replacing with stronger thinset and epoxy grout. Repair of pipes included repairing drywall and repainting ceiling. Cannot detect patched area. Customer was consulted on all phases of tile work including placement and size of benches and shelves, spacing and layout of porcelain tiles and decorative tiles, finish on curbs, seats and shelves, and treatment of existing trim. No unwelcome surprises! Adjacent work surfaces were covered to limit dust from tear out; all work areas cleaned daily. Very conscious of keeping all areas neat. Extremely trustworthy; meticulous and conscientious, good relationship with tile dealer and works with them to minimize cost where possible.

Description of Work
Renovated two bathrooms (one downstairs, one upstairs) Rebuilt greenhouse cabinet Re-tiled pool deck under retractable cover Repaired broken pipes in ceiling of pool cabana

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, decks, drywall, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

08/09/2014

Kathleen M.

Very satisfied with all aspects of the services listed above. All jobs were done in a timely manner as discussed. Jobs were cleaned up daily. Very reasonably priced for the quality of work. I would highly recommend his work and pricing, and would definitely use again in the future.

Description of Work
Gutted and remodeled bathroom, tiled shower and floor,new tub, vanity and fixtures, laminated floor in living room, installed french patio doors,back splash in kitchen, installed new windows in master bedroom, tile floor in master bath,tile floor in powder room.

Category ceramic tile, countertops, flooring contractor, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling, doors

S&H Painting

We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out all the services we offer below and call -or- click to schedule a free estimate today!

Wolf Drywall

Our mission is to be a provider that brings back the personal touch with our customers. We will build a relationship that will last a lifetime once you see our quality work. We're passionate about delivering an exceptional experience. When you hire us, you're hiring a team of professionals who are trained and skilled to deliver lasting value to your home. As a locally owned and operated business we feel invested in our clients and constantly strive for customer satisfaction. We won't leave until the job is done right! Call or click to schedule an estimate today!

JL Morales Painting, Inc.

Serving the Triangle for over 15 years, we offer exterior and interior painting services – both residential and commercial – including drywall repair, carpentry work, ceiling texture removal as well as deck and fencing repair and staining. All estimates are free and we'll work around your schedule as much as possible. We service Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville, Durham and other areas throughout the Triangle. Give us a call today!

Offers Coupon

Bathroom Remodeling, Ceramic Tiling, Backsplashes, Green Renovations, Additions, Sunrooms, Decks, Kitchens, Siding Replacement, Plumbing