Deck Specialist & Outdoor Living

Founded 2001 • With Angi since July 2006

Quality craftsmanship combined with a personalized service customized to your individual needs!! Deck Specialist is a custom deck building company specializing in the construction of small to large projects to enhance your outdoor living lifestyle. Plain or fancy, we have something that fits your taste and budget. We are a family owned business that strives to acheive the highest rating while giving all of our customers the most pleasant experience possible. Deck Specialist's professional and respectful employees always put the customer first, and you can always expect a hands-on approach from the owner....

Patios

+63 more images

decks & porches (126)deck cleaning (19)Patios (15)woodworking (8)screen repair (7)outdoor kitchens (6)house painting (6)garage building (6)fence company (6)stamped concrete (5)hardscaping (5)roofing (4)

06/09/2022

Joel H.

Marlon and his guys did an excellent job building our new deck. The finished product is high-quality and the communication and customer service exceeded our expectations. I will most certainly be calling on them in the future and I will be recommending them to anyone looking for similar projects.

Description of Work
New Deck Construction

Work Completed On 06/07/2022

12/30/2020

Ben C.

Deck Specialist came in and did the job promptly/efficiently and did so in a timely manner. Tore down and disposed of old deck and constructed new Trex deck. Did a wonderful job. Had a Great Crew that was very respectful & mindful (not using bad language) always willing to discuss work. Thank you Deck Specialist for our beautiful deck, Top notch work!

Description of Work
Trex Deck, aluminum rails, rain escape, dry storage.

Category contractors, decks, garage builders, patios, outdoor kitchens

Work Completed On 12/30/2020

Thanks [Member Name Removed] and [Member Name Removed]. It was a pleasure working with you on this project!

08/19/2020

Cynthia K.

They came out right away. Told them what I wanted. They said they would send me an estimate. Never heard from them.

Description of Work
Build a porch

Work Completed On 08/19/2020

07/21/2020

Sandy U.

Workmanship is excellent. Crew is experienced, dedicated to doing it right. Worked long hours to complete job on time as we asked. Extremely honest! Responsive to all requests. Highly recommend for any construction/hardscaping.

Description of Work
Screen in existing open concrete deck, approx 16' X 12'. Required building roof to attach to existing house roof. Also, had 250 s/f brick patio built.

Category decks, garage builders, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 07/21/2020

04/27/2020

Jennifer M.

Guy came out to look at porch and we thought it went well. He said he would have a quote out to us in a few days. Never got an email or phone call back. My husband called twice to leave messages and no one has called back. I find this to be very rude. If you dont want the job, just say you are too busy right now.

Description of Work
Outdoor porch needed redoing

Category decks, garage builders

Work Completed On 04/14/2020

I'm sorry for not getting getting back to you promptly. I tried to make logical solutions to your project but was not considered.

04/19/2020

David B.

In January, 2020 we contracted Deck Specialist to do a number of home improvement projects: dormer siding replacement, front door threshold replacement, painting a 3 story chimney, and garage door trim replacement. While Deck Specialist's company name does not suggest they are capable of remodeling / general contracting work, their work is excellent...and I am difficult to satisfy. Marlon quoted the project as fixed priced and stood by that quote even though they ran into a height issue reaching some of the work locations given our house has a walk out basement making the dormers higher than most ladders can reach. Marlon had to rent (for several days) a "cherry picker" lift machine. Tyler and Jeff literally spent a few hours moving the machine around the house being cautious not to damage the lawn given its weight and size. The job was completed on schedule, the team arrived on time each day and there were no missed days. The entire team is very professional; if I had a question or concern, it was immediately addressed. Like all construction projects, I had 2-3 punch list items that I wanted addressed after the job completion - the items were addressed immediately without waiting weeks of having to make numerous telephone calls as some contractors do. I would recommend Deck Specialist, Marlon, Tyler and Jeff, to all my friends and neighbors. They made this project go smoothly and we are 100% satisfied with the workmanship and value of our investment.

Description of Work
Dormer siding repair, stucco chimney painted with caps, front door threshold replaced, garage door trim replaced.

Category siding, garage builders

Work Completed On 01/13/2020

Review for Deck Specialist & Outdoor Living - 8100 Buzz Aldren Ct, Browns Summit, NC - 38508540

03/25/2020

Chip P.

Darn near perfect. Marlon was very responsive to our needs and question. We went through three design iterations to develop a design that met our desires and budget. Marlon was helpful and accommodating each step of the way. Once we agreed on the final design, we scheduled, he and his crew showed up as promised and got right to work. It was nice to watch a professional at his craft delivering what was promised on time and on budget. We are very pleased with the deck itself. Well done.

Description of Work
Stone Patio

Work Completed On 03/25/2020

09/18/2019

Carl H.

Currently working towards settlement because he walked away from job.

Description of Work
Decks replaced

Work Completed On 04/28/2019

07/09/2019

Gregory L.

Very well in the beginning. They encountered several challenges with the existing deck and mastered all of them. However, after a year or so later, we encountered some warping in several of the locations, especially one of the two planters to the right of the deck, it took several weeks for the owner of the company, Marlon, to respond to our inquiries for estimates as to repair. After 2 months plus, he showed up, and provided an estimate within two weeks, as to the costs for repair, which were reasonable to us. When we tried for two months to set a date for the repairs, Marlon would not respond to text messages and his office offered only, what was felt to be, apologetic responses. After no responses from several text messages to Marlon, and being told that he and his crew were involved in a very large project elsewhere, and after pleading that he call us for a brief update, we decided to "pull the plug". We invested $40,000 + in this project and felt that service after the sale was expected, only to be sorely disappointed. While the quality of their installation and teamwork was superb, their after service/product after delivery leaves much to be desired. While they did promptly show up for some after delivery concerns/fixes, I would NEVER refer this company for future concerns (i.e., within a year or so of their installation). Why?...….not because the warranty wouldn't cover the concerns we had, but because the owner of the company would not return my text messages/phone messages & my issues of concern, while he was "so busy" (as told to me my his office) with a major project in a another project approximately 50 miles away). Customers small and large matter. How sad!!!

Description of Work
Complete replacement of existing deck

Work Completed On 07/08/2019

Review for Deck Specialist & Outdoor Living - 8100 Buzz Aldren Ct, Browns Summit, NC - 37972071

12/06/2018

Iris H.

They did beautiful work. However, lady in office does not answer phone or return calls. Deck was finished June 1, and I’ve been trying to schedule sealing the deck since September (this is December). Finally, finally got through and made appointment for December 3 for the estimate and have not heard from or seen anybody. Have finally hired somebody else. I do not recommend dealing with this company. The responsiveness issue was also a problem in the beginning trying to get the initial work scheduled. Dealing with them is extremely frustrating.

Description of Work
Rebuilt deck

Category decks, woodworking

08/29/2018

Mickey S.

The deck constuction quality was magnificent. Marlon was very professional and his crew (Mike, Adam, Timmy, Tyler and Randy) worked diligently each day to stay on schedule. Deck was completed on time and far more beautiful than we could ever imagined. The entire staff was very dedicated to ensure a quality job well done. Thanks to Marlon and the entire staff for their outstanding workmanship and professionalism. Mickey & Carolyn

Description of Work
Deck Construction

Work Completed On 08/29/2018

Thank you so much for the amazing review. We really enjoyed working with both of you. But most importantly we are so pleased that you love your new outdoor space. Thank you from the whole Deck Specialist Family. If you need anything please give us a call. Thank you for entrusting us with your project.

08/02/2018

Patti M.

We called several times and left several messages...no reply. I e-mailed the company....no reply. I called again one day, and someone answered the phone! She said that Marlon (the owner) would be able to come the next day to give us an estimate. We got off of work early, and Marlon never showed up. I called the office and the lady that answered said that he got stuck on a job and was unable to make the appointment. She rescheduled for the next day. Again he was a no-show!! We will not be using this company for our project. I understand that he has numerous good reviews, and his work may be excellent, but I think that it is incredibly rude to not show up for two appointments. To not respond at all to a potentially new client is a horrible way to do business. It left us with a bad first impression. It made us wonder how they would stand behind their work if we did hire them. We will never use them, so they lost our business. They also lost the business of someone else we know that has left several messages with them and for 8 weeks has tried to get them to call and they do not respond. I understand they may be busy but there is no excuse for not calling and not showing up when they scheduled an appointment.

Description of Work
We are needing to have our deck replaced and Screened in porch added

Work Completed On 08/01/2018

06/15/2018

Ellen B.

Took longer than expected with weather delays and problems with existing structure. The final result is beautiful. These guys are meticulous in their work. The took as long as needed to get everything perfect. I highly recommend for any outside spaces.

Description of Work
Rebuilt deck and rails including an extension.

Work Completed On 06/04/2018

Review for Deck Specialist & Outdoor Living - 8100 Buzz Aldren Ct, Browns Summit, NC - 37157648

06/08/2018

Neri H.

Could not be happier with all aspects of our screened porch and patio. The crew arrived as promised, on time and ready to work. The men were friendly, professional, polite, and communicated with us every step of the way. Any concerns we had were addressed immediately and to our satisfaction. We feel like we made some new friends. Marlon and his team are welcome at our house any time. Mike & Neri Hodges

Description of Work
Screened Porch & Patio

Category decks, patios

Work Completed On 06/08/2018

Review for Deck Specialist & Outdoor Living - 8100 Buzz Aldren Ct, Browns Summit, NC - 37137300

04/10/2018

Dan S.

left multiple messages to try and plan a date for the work and they never called me back. poor customer service. do not use

Description of Work
column replaced in front porch

Category decks, deck cleaning

01/27/2018

LuAnn T.

We could not be more pleased with the completed patio or the service. Marlon was easy to work with and very helpful in helping us come up with a patio design that would work well for our house. We will definitely use him for other projects.

Description of Work
Deck removed and patio put in.

Category patios

Work Completed On 12/04/2017

Thank you for your time and business. We are so pleased to hear you are happy with your new outdoor space. Please call our office if you need anything. Thank you again.

01/25/2018

Jasmen S.

Scheduled my appointment. I guess that was the easy part. The hard part for them was showing up. They never came to my residence. And when I called to ask questions my phone calls were not answered. Yet when I spoke to the lady a day before she said she always carries her phone with her even in the evenings and if I needed anything she’d more than likely be available (I called at 230; was scheduled for an estimate at 1:30)

Description of Work
I wanted a deck rebuild. Stained.

Category decks, deck cleaning

09/07/2017

Marsha G.

The work was finished on time, 4 weeks. We are very pleased with the quality of the work and how easy it was to contact the owner. We were especially impressed with how hard the crew members worked in the extremely hot weather. We would hire them again.

Description of Work
Deck Specialist built a screen porch and deck.

Work Completed On 08/28/2017

Thank you for leaving us a review. We have a great team that works really hard. Wonderful to work with you and we appreciate your business. Please call our office if you need anything in the future. Thank you again.

08/26/2017

j Z.

The entire team including Marlon. Jeff, Wes, Mike, Jason and Tim displayed a high level of expertise and craftsmanship that resulted in a finished project that exceeded our expectations.Additionally, the price was fair in light of the quality of the included materials and the high level of skill and professionalism of the deck specialists, electrician and painter.

Description of Work
Our project included restoration and enlargement of an existing deck and the addition of a screened porch that was completed in about four weeks.

Work Completed On 08/08/2017

07/14/2017

Kyle S.

Marlon and his crew did a great job on the deck and door. Communication is not the best with him at all times and the start date was delayed, but if you are patient with Marlon then you will be rewarded. His crew was great with the job, they cleaned up every night after they finished which was very nice since I have 2 dogs (I only found a single loose screw the whole time they worked). They worked very quickly and were always to work early in the morning and worked until 5-6 each night. Finished the whole job in just 4 work days. Again some times you have to be patient, but the work (and professionalism of his team) speaks for itself in the end.

Description of Work
Old deck removal, new deck (with 2 sets of stairs and railing), sliding back door install, and 8ftx8ft paver patio

Category decks, patios

Work Completed On 04/18/2017

Review for Deck Specialist & Outdoor Living - 8100 Buzz Aldren Ct, Browns Summit, NC - 35628082

05/30/2017

Melissa L.

THe deck specialist did a great job and was very professional.

Description of Work
finish deck

Work Completed On 05/06/2017

05/27/2017

Ben V.

They offer many different options and are extremely helpful in designing the deck that you want. Also, they are very competitive on their prices. We had over six different bids on the work and we chose to go with them because they actually met or exceeded all the criteria that we had wanted (cost, workmanship, warranty, licensing, insured and most of all professionalism). We would absolutely recommend them to anyone needing any work done on their home (they not only do decks but any external work/modifications that can be done to a home) . The work was done quickly and the deck is extremely well done and sturdy unlike the deck it replaced that the original builder had installed. Also, they cleaned up after themselves and you would hardly know that they had been there. I waited almost six months to write this review to make sure that the "newness" of the work wasn't "clouding" my review. I am very pleased with the work that they have done and once again I would have no regrets that we chose them to do this job and I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Replaced old deck, designed and built new larger deck.

Hire