MAPLEWOOD PLUMBING

Founded 1985 • With Angi since March 2003

"Maplewood Plumbing has served St. Louis City and St. Louis County for 30+ years, helping residential and commercial customers with drain cleaning, plumbing, and pipe replacements, in addition to other plumbing services. Family-owned and operated since 1985, we have built a solid reputation in the

plumbers (311)drain cleaning (23)home remodeling (16)water heaters (12)concrete repair (10)drain pipe installation (3)water softeners (3)gas leak repair (2)sewer cleaning (1)flooring (3)firewood company (1)

08/02/2022

Stephanie S.

I couldn't have asked for a better company. Everyone I talked to was so nice and attentive. They answered all my questions in a timely manner and helped me understand the process. Will definitely be calling back for any further projects.

Description of Work
Water heater replacement

Category concrete repair, plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 08/02/2022

Thank [Member Name Removed] Glad we could help out and get this taken care of for you! It was a pleasure!

07/30/2022

Kenneth G.

Called to ask about having someone come by to look at a sewer line that was backing up. I was informed by the person on the phone there was a $65 charge to inspect the issue and give a quote, however, if I had Maplewood Plumbing do the work, the fee would be waived. I then asked if they do Hydro-Flushing, and the person responded yes, and then told me that, unlike some other companies that charge time and material, Maplewood charges a flat rate. So I asked what the rate was, and they couldn't tell me. They said they had no pricing info and they simply answer the phone and take appointments. I found this rather odd. They expect me to simply pay $65 without even a ballpark estimate on what the actual service may cost. I don't expect an exact amount, but it would be nice to understand what the rates are. And if they are supposed to be charging a "flat rate" for Hydro-Flushing, they must have SOME number they can tell me. When I asked if one of the actual plumbers could call and let me know some basic pricing, they said no one was available. Clearly they are simply using a call center rather than having an actual person in their office who knows what the heck is going on. I certainly won't be calling on them again.

Description of Work
Sewer inspection and clean out

Category concrete repair, sewer cleaning

Work Completed On 07/29/2022

We appreciate the time you took to offer this review. Maplewood Plumbing has adopted this pricing system so we can better communicate how much services will cost before we get started. By using flat rate pricing, as opposed to time and material charges, we can let clients know how much it will cost up front and we can do the work without cost anxiety hanging over the whole process. It also reduces the chance of us not being able to collect, which ultimately impacts everyone’s bills. With regards to the $65 diagnostic fee, this is to ensure that the service technician can take the time to properly assess the issue and any root causes to better ensure the service offered is the best option. We want to offer as accurate pricing as possible and every plumbing situation is different, so we always have someone look at the issue in person. Because of this, office staff does not have pricing to give over the phone. While we are actual people in the office, we are not plumbers so we leave the diagnosing and pricing to the experts.

01/07/2022

Sandra M.

Beautifully. The workman was prompt, courteous and thorough— checked in with me to see if I wanted to clean the space behind the face owl while things were disassembled! Reminded me that a tiny bit of pain repair would be required to completely restore my beautiful bath. Workman paid extraordinary attention to detail.

Description of Work
A leaky faucet replacement

Work Completed On 01/07/2022

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review, we appreciate you calling and allowing us to earn your business.

04/14/2021

DAVID L.

First plumber came out, diagnosed leak, and suggested replacing the bathtub drain assembly. We indicated a preference for a Cable Bath Drain; the plumber didn't seem to understand and recommended a Lift & Turn drain stopper. We compromised on a Trip-lever Assembly and got one from his truck. Upon completion and after plumber had departed premises, discovered a Lift & Turn drain stopper was installed. Called and scheduled a replacement. Second plumber came out over a week later and agreed work was not done to-spec. Replaced with a Trip-lever Assembly at no additional charge, but also tried to upsell $800 of additional work. That subtracted one more star from the rating. For the cost of this job, I would have expected higher-end materials. While we didn't end-up with the cheapest materials, the installed assembly was definitely a step-down from the Kohler materials originally installed in 1948 and updated in 2015.

Description of Work
Fix leaking bathtub drain

Work Completed On 04/14/2021

Thank you for your feedback, We are sorry to hear that your recent service visit was only two star worthy. We'd like to learn more about your appointment, would you please give us a call at 314-474-0582. We look forward to speaking with you and working towards earning back your business.

03/08/2021

Allyson D.

I just wanted to update my review from 6/2/20 but it looked like a huge hassle to try to contact Angie's list to figure out how to do that, so I'm just writing an update here. Someone from Maplewood Plumbing reached out to me and explained that their new system didn't allow for itemization of bills, but that they were aware of this need for customers and they would be working on finding a solution. She was very nice and I wanted to raise my rating for the customer service experience. I still think they do excellent work and I would definitely hire them again if I could have an itemized receipt.

Description of Work
This is an update to my review on 6/2/20

Work Completed On 06/02/2020

Thank you for taking the time to talk things over with us, we have taken the suggestion you provided and will be working on a solution! We appreciate the feedback and the updated review!

03/04/2021

Gidget D.

Replaced main kitchen stack and added sump well w/pump

Description of Work
The crew of 5 were very professional. They explained each step of what was going on with the job. The office staff was very friendly and helpful to me me while working with my insurance company. The Master Plumber, Yves, made me feel very comfortable that all work would be satisfactory.

Work Completed On 01/08/1970

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, we appreciate you giving us a call.

12/31/2020

Andrew B.

Very quick, high quality job, and clean up. Very professional.

Description of Work
Added a Dishwasher Shutoff Valve, remove old supply line.

Work Completed On 12/16/2020

We appreciate this review

12/29/2020

Carolyn R.

They responded in a timely manner. They answered all my questions. They were professional.

Description of Work
They replaced the water guts and tank.

Work Completed On 10/29/2020

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for taking the time to provide feedback!

10/01/2020

Ramona S.

The experience was fantastic the guy was nice helpful, He told me what he was doing extremely prompt polite and on time.

Description of Work
They came out and cleaned out my sewer line and made sure it was clear.

Work Completed On 09/30/2020

Thank you for the review!

06/08/2020

Allyson D.

I've hired Maplewood Plumbing multiple times. They are super friendly, easy to schedule and they do good work. However, this last time that they came to my house, I needed them to fix an outdoor garden faucet that was leaking backwards into my basement and to help me get a spoon out of my garbage disposal, which I was completely unable to remove myself (ugh). The technician was great, as usual, but he quoted me $155 to remove the spoon from my disposal. I questioned that, at which point he said that he could give me a total price of $386 for everything. I agreed and he fixed everything (the spoon took about 10 secs for him to remove) and he charged me and left. I started thinking about the cost later that night and it seemed awfully high, but not knowing what went into the pipe fix (one of the pipes was cracked and had to be replaced) I wasn't really informed enough to make that judgement. I wrote and asked for an itemized receipt so that I could weigh the cost of the parts against the cost of the services for future reference and decisions around who to hire for repairs. I was given a blanket receipt that did not itemize the work. I asked for another version, where they could list out the cost of items versus the cost of services and was told: "Because we charge a flat rate per service, not by time and materials, we do not provide itemized invoices. The $386 covers time, materials, and the 6 month warranty included in the service." (Just as a side note, I have always received an itemized bill from them in the past.) So I asked if they could tell me what their flat-rate service charge is - how they arrived at their numbers, because I was quoted two different prices for the garbage disposal and the pipe. I was given the original receipt that just lumped everything together under the one cost. I'm hesitant to hire them again due to the fact that I need more transparency with service providers that I hire. I like to know what I'm paying for parts and what I'm paying for labor. If that is important to you as well, then you might want to look elsewhere. If you don't care about that sort of thing, then I would recommend them because I believe they do quality work.

Description of Work
Fix for my leaking outdoor faucet and garbage disposal

Work Completed On 06/02/2020

We appreciate the time you took to offer this review. Maplewood Plumbing has adopted a pricing system so we can better communicate how much services will cost before we get started. By letting clients know how much it will cost up front, we can do the work without cost anxiety hanging over the whole process. It also reduces the chance of us not being able to collect, which ultimately impacts everyone’s bills. With regards to how much the actual prices are, we are very very conscious of our pricing. We are regularly trying to find the balance of attracting and keeping high quality people that do a good job and we all feel comfortable having in your home or business and the end cost to you the client. Sometimes that is a tough line to find. Generally speaking, the more we do the more value clients see. However, for short trips or small jobs, it can seem like a lot. And we get that. We do the best we can to be efficient and keep costs down while still providing a high quality service. Thank you for your time,.

06/06/2020

Chris K.

Not well. The tech arrived promptly and was completely professional and courteous. However, the quote he provided was astronomical for the work to be performed. As an experienced mechanical engineer, I estimated the time to do the job at 2-3 hours and $100 or so for materials. However, the tech quoted me a price of $1,100, which is far in excess of that. I consider this to be a "nuisance quote," i.e. an astronomically high quote because he didn't want to do the job. A quote for suckers. Granted, it involves getting on one's back on the ground under my deck, but that's not a reason to inflate the number of hours to do the job. This job should cost no more than $500. It irritates me now that I paid $65 for a quote (per Maplewood Plumbing's conditions for providing a quote) when the quote isn't a legitimate quote.

Description of Work
I asked for a quote for a job to replace iron pipe running from my basement, underneath my deck, replace the frost-prone section (at least) with PEX, and also replace an older valve in the basement connected to that pipe, and re-connect to a spigot.

Work Completed On 06/05/2020

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us on Friday. The price quoted to you is a standard rate for the work you requested, we do understand that without having any other quotes to compare our pricing to, it was difficult to know whether our price was truly high. We’re sorry you chose not to have us do the work but understand budget concerns, especially in our current climate, and hope that refunding you the $65 for the quote makes you feel a bit better about us. Thanks again for your time, we always appreciate the honest feedback!

06/03/2020

Michelle W.

David called to let me know he was on his way. After evaluating the situation, he discussed my options and showed me the pricing for each. After clearing the blockage, he showed me what he found. Since this is an old house with old pipes, he also had me check the basement room near the window well for any water - just in case. (Fortunately it was dry). I appreciated that he wore a mask and disinfected the tablet before handing it to me to sign. Overall a very positive experience.

Description of Work
Cabled a blocked drain in an exterior window well

Category drain cleaning

Work Completed On 06/03/2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, we appericate you allowing us to earn your business! We are very lucky to have David and all his years of knowledge! We look forward to helping you in the future if need be!

02/17/2020

Tracy B.

I received a detailed and reasonable quote promptly. However, I was under a time constraint and went with another company.

Description of Work
Installation of hot water heater

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Work Completed On 02/06/2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, we appreciate it!

02/03/2020

susan O.

Job was performed accurately and completely. The service man was knowledgeable and respectful. Will hire them again.

Description of Work
Tub not draining completely

Work Completed On 01/22/2020

Thank you [Member Name Removed]!

01/24/2020

JACK K.

It was beyond excellent in that our plumber, Robert, was literally a professor of plumbing providing detailed explanations of everything he would do offering each possible downside before proceeding. No worst-case event occurred and all work was completed with best possible outcomes leaving us both relieved but also confident that we better understand our plumbing system.

Description of Work
I had my tankless water heater flushed. I had slow water flow and lack of hot water in basements showers investigated and corrected. I had a sewer odor coming from my basement drain investigated and eliminated.

Category plumbing, water heater repair, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 01/23/2020

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for taking the time to leave this review, we appericate your business!

01/14/2020

Angela E.

It did not go as expected. Although the staff is very friendly, professional, and punctual, the actual job did not go well. My toilet was leaking onto the subfloor, so within 15 minutes the plumber determined I needed a new pipe and he would not be able to reinstall my toilet until I fix the subfloor. I fixed the subfloor and called the plumbers back two days later. The office staff that took my call was wonderful and accommodating, and got a plumber out right away to reinstall my toilet. Here’s where the problem is: the first plumber who took the toilet out laid it on its back causing all of the seals in the tank to break. The first plumber also replaced my shut off valve, but placed it about an inch further out of the wall then it previously was. So when the second plumber came to reinstall my toilet, not only could the toilet not be put back up against the wall, but the tank was loose and leaking now and all the seals in the tank had to be replaced. In the end, I paid $700 for this project, which shouldn’t have been more than $350 in my opinion. And since the toilet sticks out so far from the wall the tank is still leaking as it must have been jostled in use. And the base of the toilet no longer lines up with the hole that was cut in the linoleum. It just looks awful and to be honest, I should’ve just had them replace the pipe and left it at that, but the first plumber left the sewer pipe sticking 8 inches up out of the floor and I wasn’t sure how far down to cut it to reinstall the toilet. It was just a mess.

Description of Work
Leaking toilet

Work Completed On 01/06/2020

Review for MAPLEWOOD PLUMBING - 2725 Watson Rd, St. Louis, MO - 38330316

Thank you for the review and feedback, in each case we try our best to accommodate every situation. Unfortunately there are problems we run into that our completely out of our control. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and strive to always exceed expectations. Our customers thoughts and experience matter a great deal to us. Our Angie’s List Super Service Awards and A+ BBB rating are a testament to this, we do not want to leave a single homeowner disappointed. If there’s anything you think we might have done better, or something that would have made the process easier on you, please do let us know.

01/07/2020

David P.

The team were prompt, friendly, knowledgeable, and completed the task as quickly as possible.

Description of Work
We had clogged shower and sink drains in addition to a slow sewer drain.

Category drain cleaning

Work Completed On 01/03/2020

Thank you We appreciate the review!

11/15/2019

Richard B.

Estimate was requested and they did not respond.

Description of Work
estimate for new water heater & toilet

Work Completed On 11/15/2019

We have recently went through some staffing changes. This may help explain the, missed requested, to a certain extent as our staff is still training and I am sure is looking for guidance at times. However, I will also take some time to stress the importance of good communication. It doesn't matter how good we are, if we can't even make it out to your home or business to help. We are sorry any inconvenience this may have caused.

11/02/2019

Gary O.

Outstanding service, great communication and cost was as quoted.

Description of Work
Leaking shutoff valve under kitchen sink.

Work Completed On 11/02/2019

Thank you for leaving this review! We appericate you calling Maplewood Plumbing!

10/23/2019

Karen H.

Nikki, David, and Kendrick were the most professional, efficient, and friendly individuals. From the moment I made the phone call to Nikki until David and Kendrick pulled off my driveway one hour later, I felt confident and at ease that my problems would be taken care of.

Description of Work
Kitchen drains unclogged

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 10/23/2019

Thank you so much for leaving this review we are so lucky to have them as apart of our team!

09/30/2019

Josh C.

Maplewood Plumbing was the 2nd company I called to replace a garbage disposal after the first company was blatantly trying to rip me off. The plumber they sent was on time, friendly, honest (he didn't try to upsell me models) and was less than a third the price of the 1st company I had called. Thankful for a company I can trust, I will absolutely use them again in the future!

Description of Work
Garbage Disposal

Work Completed On 09/13/2019

Thank you, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback!

08/16/2019

CHARLOTTE H.

When we explained to Nicky that we had to turn off the water to the entire house, she was able to get a plumber out to the house that afternoon. Our serviceman was Aaron. He was on time, courteous, knowlegeable and quick. He replaced the two turn off valves under the kitchen sink and also installed the new faucet and sprayer we had purchased. We were very pleased with his work and the attention to our emergency by the office staff. Our kitchen water supply was returned to normal very promptly. Aaron left the worksite clean and neat. Thank you to everyone who responded to our need.

Description of Work
Water line under kitchen sink broke.

Cost $180.02