221 Construction LLC

Founded 2009 • With Angi since September 2011

One of the most important elements of success in any building project is spending the time to understand exactly what the customer's needs and wants are. Great communication through all phases of construction will make the difference between just completing the work and having something that the customer is truly thrilled about. At 221 Construction, the word value has two meanings. First, we value you as our customer and intend to do "whatever it takes" to make the completed project the way you want it. Second, we want you to be able to recognize value in the end product. It's our goal to make sure that all of our customers, if asked "would you do it again the same way & would be able to answer "Yes" absolutely" Both Don Fotheringhame and Owen Rogers have a long history in: Residential and Commercial Management, Construction, Remodeling, Insurance Fire and Water Restoration, Facilities Maintenance. No job is too small or too big. We consistently meet or beat our promise date for completion, we work within your budget.All work is guaranteed & we gladly provide references. Their wealth of knowledge and experience along with the skills of the other members of their team will be put to work for you to ensure that your dream becomes your reality. One of our clients stated: "We really lucked out when we found Don & Owen. They helped us stick to our budget and guided us through the biggest project we've ever done. You won't find a harder working, more respectful, conscientious and quality focused bunch of guys anywhere. We won't go to anyone else" Mark H., Kansas City, MO. Free inspections, Free estimates! Locally owned and operated. Licensed and insured, 20 yrs of references....

Kitchen Remodel 1

+2 more images

4.2

4.3

4.1

4.1

4.2

3.9

roofing (14)plumbers (6)siding companies (5)drywall (5)door installation (3)interior painting (2)home remodeling (2)handyman (2)electrician (2)countertop installation (2)basement remodeling (1)drain cleaning (1)

09/28/2022

james N.

It was perfect, communicate well, price is reasonable.

Description of Work
Remodeling General

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 04/12/2022

08/08/2019

Ronald D.

This company needs a lot of work on communication. I would be concerned about hiring them as their reliability is questionable as well. Requested estimate for basement remodel. Charged $600 for design work. I have the email trail to document the following. It took 5 weeks to get the design (drawing) no estimate. Had to call to ask for #’s. Took another week to get those. By this time there were details discussed that were not included in the quote. The estimate was inline with what we expected. Sent an email back to Don stating we were very interested but had some clarifications/questions. Waited 2 business days for an acknowledgement or a response then emailed to ensure they got our email. Office confirmed it was received but Don was working in the field. Waited another 2 weeks.... nothing. Requested money back, Don stated they don’t do that. So if you want design work only go ahead. Just don’t expect reasonable turn around delivery time or the expectation that they will or have the band width to do the job. Going elsewhere and pretty sure the next contractor will want to do their own “design work”.

Description of Work
Basement Remodel

Category countertops, drywall, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, home remodeling, doors, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 08/08/2019

10/18/2017

Amber N.

Great job by Don and his team! They were very professional and punctual. The line of communication was fabulous, and all of our needs were met! They showed up when they said they would and called us to ask our opinion on anything that occurred, as well as explained any costs that may occur. I would definitely hire them again for any home repairs or remodels!! We love our "new" kitchen!! Thanks Don and team!!

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel, including new cabinets, granite countertops, backsplash, new sink/faucet, patio door, lighting, and adding a peninsula.

Category countertops, drywall, electrician, remodeling, ceiling fans, home remodeling, doors

Work Completed On 08/15/2017

Thank you [Member Name Removed], The customer was organized and flexible about choices and additional work items that could not be foreseen. Quick to make critical decisions and very fast response time. We cant wait to work for you again! 221 Construction Team

04/12/2017

Barbara H.

Crazy expensive. They were double our other bids.

Description of Work
Came out for an estimate only.

Work Completed On 09/15/2016

09/28/2016

Jennifer R.

Warren was great. First appointment was to obtain measurements and determine the extent of the work to be done. Second appointment was to go over look and price. Warren was extremely flexible with me as I was late for the second appt. We rescheduled and he covered his plan. Wow what a plan. If you are looking for the company to take your home and turn it into a postcard or magazine article then loom no further. Their work is top notch and all inclusive. We chose another company as we plan to move in a few years and wouldnt get the return on investment. We will definately look up 221 again when we need improvements to our "forever" home.

Description of Work
Quote for new vinyl siding.

Category siding

Work Completed On 09/22/2016

07/17/2016

Julie K.

Description of Work
They installed a front door, another door and an attic fan for us in a timely way and with minimal corrections.

04/27/2016

Shelly T.

Description of Work
They finished our basement. The rough in work looked good, but the finish work was terrible! The sheetrock finish was the worse I have seen very little to no sanding done. We had to repaint all the walls. They leveled the concrete floor and installed lanoluim, the leveling compound they used is braking up and the flooring is coming up. We are going to have to redo the flooring. All in all the quality of work was very poor and the communication that was promised didn't happen. I would definitely not use them again or recommend them to anyone!

Category roofing, siding, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/04/2014

07/16/2015

Leigh M.

Because of rain day after day, the project started about 4 months later. Don did keep in touch during that period. Anyone who roofs knows you need 2 rain free days to even get started and during the 4 months timeframe, that didn't happen. But when the project did begin, the crew was here every day until finished. The original flat roof, became a pitched roof, a non essential window was covered up to allow for proper pitch, siding was applied to the two corner walls of the house. Price was a bit higher than quoted because of the change from a flat roof to pitched plus there was a lot of rotted wood that had to be replaced when they removed the existing shingles on the flat roof. We knew that might be the case going into the project. There was quite a bit of water damage on the framework under the window that was covered up. It was a non-opening small window anyways & not needed. Don Fotheringhame is very personable & professional. I also heard no nasty vocabulary from the crew & that's a big plus.

Description of Work
Replaced flat roof that was creating a waterfall onto the kitchen table whenever hard rains occurred.

Work Completed On 10/15/2014

10/30/2014

Terry M.

I had to pay in full when my insurance check originally was declined, so be it. After sending him my full personal check payment, owner Don Fotheringhame, took over two months to to set the appointment ! I believe a payed customer should come before any other customers. The work seems to be satisfactory. I would Not recommend this company ever.

Description of Work
Roof repair, front door repaired, back steps repaired.

Category decks, roofing, doors

Work Completed On 10/20/2014

Our experience was very poor with this customer as well. First the customer wrote a partial deposit payment in the form of a personal check that was returned for insufficient funds and it was then that we required her to pay in full up front. We let the check repost as most banks do and it was rejected a second time. We were charged for the incident at our bank which we did not pass on to the customer. Our bank informed us that to avoid a repeat occurrence we should allow 30 days to let the funds go through without a chance of chargeback. There were no active leaks in the roof so we were cautious not to uncover it while there was a chance of rain. We stayed in contact with the actual tenant on a frequent basis who was no the homeowner. We did a great job on the roof after several weeks of rain delays. We took pictures of the before and after work that was done including work at no charge and had nothing to do with the work scope from the insurance company.

08/30/2014

Angie T.

When I hired 221 construction to do my work, I paid half down. Which us what they asked for. It took weeks for them to set an appointment to start and then they kept putting it off or not showing up. They finally showed up 3 weeks after the start date, would work for one day and then not come back for 4 days. The whole job was only 4 days of work. I was told they would take pictures of my flower bed, remove all my plants and rocks so they would not be harmed while doing the work. The came to frame in and then pour the concrete, they took rocks from my flower bed and used them to make a retaining wall in another part of the yard. My plants have been destroyed and then they poured dirt all over them. Finally the important part...the steps and patio. They look terrible. They are not flat, it's almost wavy. The steps are crooked. He told me they would be sloped lightly to drain water and it rained today and they pool water. They told me they would bring in dirt to build up around the patio and they didn't bring enough. I was told he would take off my hand railing, sand blast and paint it but apparently he changed his mind and decided he didn't want do that. There is concrete splatter all over everything. They removed a portion of my gutter and just left it laying on the ground without even telling me they took it off. I feel the overall quality of the work was very poor. Don't agree to do something that I'm going to pay for and then just change your mind. I am almost embarrassed for people to see my steps and it's on the front of my house.

Description of Work
Tore out concrete steps, pour new steps and remove a door and cinder block it in.

Category concrete repair, hauling services, plumbing, roofing, pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 08/29/2014

08/19/2014

Lisa E.

Excellent! Don and his team at 221 did exactly what they were asked to do and did it in a quick and orderly fashion. I could not ask for better workmanship and professionalism. I would definitely use their services again!

Description of Work
Built a loft space in our home

Work Completed On 06/14/2014

08/14/2014

Jane B.

Excellent to work with and will continue to work with Don. Developing contract with him to provide full maintenance for 2 commercial buildings. Will be using him on personal remodeling as well.

Description of Work
Commercial door, new mechanism for other commercial door, punch list of items for commercial business.

Work Completed On 08/14/2014

07/02/2014

Michael H.

They were great. I picked them because it was actually word of mouth from local people. I'd had them previously. They did a good job. They were courteous, very professional, on time, had good communication skills and they connected with us. They also finished on time.

Description of Work
Yes, I used them. They did dry wall, they fixed some of the base boards of my finished basement and they out up new guttering.

Category drywall, handyman service

Work Completed On 10/23/2013

11/30/2013

Jennifer P.

They did a very good job for us. They made sure everthing tied into the existing structure nicely and they end results was exactly what we wanted.

Description of Work
221 did a large addition to our A frame lake house. They created the design which made the addition look like it was part of the orginal build. They drew up all the diagrams and plans required by the building committee of the lake and what was needed for the permits. They then built the addition which was over 1000sqt and two stories. They have also done plumbing, painting, AC installation for us on other occassions.

Category contractors, drywall, picture framing, handyman service, plumbing, roofing, siding, interior painters

Work Completed On 05/31/2013

05/28/2013

Sandra G.

Great!!!

Description of Work
We needed a roof on our 100+ year old home. It had several layers of shingles,including the original shake shingles! Plus it is a very high pitched roof and different angles. They attacked this job with enthusiasm and professionalism! Only took them 3 days to complete and worked in freezing weather a couple of days during our crazy weather!!! Roof looks awesome and they did a terrific job of cleaning up afterwards!!! Definitely an A+ business!!!

Work Completed On 02/01/2013

02/09/2013

Sandra G.

I found this company on Angies List. I called Don and he came out the next day to give us an estimate. I had gotten an estimate several days before from a guy who has not been in this business for very long and was pretty pricey to me. Don's company has so much more experience and he was cheaper, so we went with him. He sent out a contract and we accepted it and his crew was here in a few days. He said it would take them 2 days to remove three layers of old shingles and replace any sheeting that needed it. It took them 3 days, but mind you, his crew worked in 30* weather and did an awesome job! They cleaned up and hauled off all the debris and even swept my driveway! I was very impressed with their dedication. I would recommend this company in a heartbeat!

Description of Work
Had roof replaced.

Work Completed On 01/25/2013

12/22/2012

Jennifer P.

Overall they were pretty decent. They got done on time when they said they were going to have it done. Just a few little things went wrong but it was weather related. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
221 Construction did a two-bedroom addition to our lake house. They also did roofing and siding for us.

Category roofing, siding, home builders

Work Completed On 04/22/2012

11/12/2012

Dianne S.

The work was completed in less than 2 days. Clean up after was very thorough. We are very satisfied with the appearance of our home.

Description of Work
Vinyl siding installed on 3 sides of our home along with soffits and metal fascia wrap.

Category plumbing, siding

Work Completed On 03/10/2012

07/28/2011

Nancy D.

221 fixed rthe leak at a very reasonable price. Other roofers had told us we would have to tear off and replace the whole roof secton, but this company was able to do what the buyer requested at a much lower price. They were responsive to concerns about the paint color, cleaned up pretty well after themselves (just a few paint can lids left lying around, nothing really messy at all), were respectful and efficient. We would definitely hire them again. The do more than roofs, are a multiple-purpose contractor.

Description of Work
We are selling our house and the buyer's inspector found a leak in the roof. Our roof is metal and also needed to be repainted.

Category plumbing, roofing

Work Completed On 07/22/2011

06/14/2011

Dianne S.

See above

Description of Work
Our home was built in 1988.I had several plumbing leaks from a shower and toilet and a broken sump pump. Owen came to give me an estimate and ended up fixing everything the same day .He had to cut into drywall to work directly on the pipes in three different locations, replaced a toilet seal and valve, a drain cover in the shower, and fixed a clogged sink drain. He was polite and professional. I have used his company before and had a very positive experience 18 months ago when I had a complete plumbing blockage and a flooded garage. He and his partner, Don, came out in sub zero weather on a weekend to deal with my flooded garage and complete back up.They had to dig a hole in my garage floor to replace a clean out pipe and install a sump pump. Their prices are reasonable and they respond quickly.They also do remodeling, construction and general contracting.Nice guys,great company.

Category drywall, plumbing, remodeling, wells, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 06/13/2011