John Kivel Electric

Founded 1975 • With Angi since May 2007

3553 Bailey Ridge Dr

Woodbury, MN 55125

John Kivel Electric LLC is a family owned business that brings over 50 years of experience to your job. You can talk directly to John who will personally do your job as a MN Licensed Electrician. Angies List 7 time Super Service Award Winner. We specialize in troubleshooting, storm damage, panel installations or any electrical to increase your safety, save you money & time. No job's too big; no job's too small. Commercial or residential. We look forward to hearing from you thru Angies List OR *Email: johnkivel@msn.com Please let us know how we can help. Leave the job address & your telephone. *You can view our Website & contact us thru johnkivelelectric.com by clicking on "Visit Website" to your left. -Thank you!...

09/18/2022

PETER M.

John responded quickly to our email and agreed to come to our home a few days later. He communicated well, was knowledgeable and well-organized and completed the projects quickly. After John explained the extent of the damage to our post lamp, we decided to replace it with a solar unit at a later date, so he didn't repair that. But everything else on our list was taken care of. It all works well and looks great. We're very pleased. As a bonus, we found John to be a very nice guy.

Description of Work
We needed help with several problems around our home including a damaged outdoor post lamp, a broken exterior outlet, installation of an exterior wall light fixture, repair of an interior light switch, and installation of a bathroom vanity light fixture.

Category electrician, lighting, outdoor lighting

05/04/2022

James M.

I have had John for a number of large and small jobs over the years and highly recommend him. The latest involved a call to him in the late afternoon and completion of the project within the following 2 hours. Certainly exceptional. 5 stars from me.

Description of Work
Replacement of 3 outdoor electrical outlets

03/23/2020

Mua Y.

I called John and told him about my burnt wall outlet. After a quick breakdown, I was told to send my contact info and a photo of the outlet via email. I did just that, but John never got back to me regarding the appointment. No phone call, no email, not even a text. Everything went radio silence afterward. I email him again a week later to confirm that the appointment is still on, but I got no reply from him. I decided to phone him again, and managed to get a hold of him. I was told that he will be coming over on Monday at 10 am, and he will notify me by Sunday should anything comes up and he is unable to. Fast forward to today (Monday). He call to cancel me 45 min prior to the appointment. His reason was of course, the coronavirus. While I find his reason valid and understandable, I find it very UNPROFESSIONAL and laughable to borderline lazy of him to notify me at the last min when he have all Sunday to do so. As of this writing, Minnesota is not on lock down, but I agree take time off work to personally greet him only for him to half *** on his end. I will definitely not use his service again which is a real shame because John sounds like a nice guy. To John and Co, if you're reading this, and I know you do. know that professional electricians are a dime a dozen and at competitive rates. Your years of experience meant absolutely nothing if you have no professionalism to back it up, which seem like a recurring theme.....but hey you do you.

Description of Work
Outlet repair

Category electrician

Good Morning [Member Name Removed] We did professionally answer your call and follow-up on your email Mr. [Member Name Removed]. Thank you for sending. We're sorry that you refused to acknowledge the fluid situation in our society for your protection and the protection of others. We committed to work with you with that. In support of our nation's effort to contain COVID-19 we respect and wish to follow recent guidelines issued by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), we respect suggestions to recognize that one of the best ways to reduce the spread of this virus is social distancing and limiting the number of people assembled in close quarters. We've responded with a temporary change in our services to be on an emergency need basis to all of our clients as we requested you to acknowledge. We even asked what the outlet was for in another phone conversation learning it was for your tenants TV. We did offer temporary, safe alternatives. We hope you follow all suggestions given to you in any of your current situations for your safety and the safety and future of others. Please consider. Thank you!

02/17/2020

Karen L.

John was fantastic! Arrived promptly and started working immediately. He was efficient and neat. No time wasted in his approach to the job. Cleaned up after himself. Not even a piece of dust left behind. Pleasant personality to boot. I'd have John back to do any other electrical work that I need.

Description of Work
Needed new(replacement)ceiling fan installed in kitchen.

Category electrician, ceiling fans

12/18/2019

Tony D.

Called John and he agreed to follow up with me to schedule a service visit to our home in Eagan. Despite sending him 2 "reminder emails" at his request (which a customer should not be asked to do), I never heard from him. Business must be good to blow off prospective customers and not even provide a courtesy response that you are not interested. Called Randy's Electric and they responded immediately, they confirmed the meeting by email, not me.

Description of Work
General household electrical

Category electrician

Hi [Member Name Removed], We're glad you got that taken care of! We are a family business & email is a great way to follow up with customers & document your contact info. I had oral surgery that week. I was with John in the work truck when we reached out to you on on the phone Friday, 12/13. We were in Eagan & completed a job for a Pilot out there. A volume of calls in a work truck with recent "hands free" laws is not ideal for contractors these days. We pulled over. We've certainly never met & would be glad to answer any electrical concerns for you in the future. And yes, we would need an email. Thank you [Member Name Removed]! Connie Kivel

07/08/2019

Barbara E.

John was pleasant to deal with and very professional He was on time and did a great job. Had to install a ceiling fan where there was no electricity. He was neat and cleaned up after himself. I rated him down a little on the price part as it cost $600 and took him three hours to do the job. I'm inexperienced in what electricians charge so maybe that was a fair price.

Description of Work
Ceiling fan installed where there wasn't one

Category electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

06/08/2019

Geoff B.

Perfectly! John and Connie were efficient, pleasant, professional and did great work! Highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Electrical - replace a ceiling fan with 5 new pot lights

10/22/2018

James I.

Oh no, John....you've disappeared! Are you ok? Should I call the authorities? You seem to be somewhere without phone service or email abilities......

Description of Work
Knob and tube removal, electric update for bathroom remodel, basement circuit box update

Category electrician

Good morning [Member Name Removed], I have included & reviewed our communications with you below. You do sound stressed with the projects you have in your 1900's house. This is John's wife Connie. I attend to our phone daily while John is busy on ladders, etc. We are a great team & would've been happy to help you out how we advised when we came out. We bring our experience to our jobs & agree you could get easily overwhelmed with your farm house. At this time you will need to look for another contractor, as we have not heard from you regarding your electrical. Sorry your plumbing wasn't going as you expected! ___________________________________________________________________________ RE: Roseville farmhouse [Member Name Removed] Tue 10/9, 12:46 PM You Hi John, I know a fair amount of time has past; my apologies for the delay. Pretty big learning curve on my end; anything that could go wrong with the plumbing has and I now find myself rebuilding floor joists and more demo halfway through their work. With that said, we would like to get you on the calendar for the work you specified in the estimate... .the new electric pertaining to the bathroom and the basement box. Additionally, I have a wall torn down in the dining room. I know that would be another project, but it would be ideal if we could figure out a strategy and move forward while there is easy access. Thanks for all your help and we look forward to working with you. Regards, [Member Name Removed] On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 3:34 PM [Member Name Removed] wrote: Thanks so much for coming out the other day and getting me the reasonable estimate so promptly. I'll be in contact very soon to check your scheduling. At present, I have the plumbers here and making a huge mess. Again, thank you for all the time.

07/25/2018

Michelle D.

No problems. They changed out a very old fuse box for a 30 space panel.

Description of Work
Electrical panel changed out

07/23/2018

Steven E.

John and his wife were awesome. Provided excellent and fast service, even made a money saving suggestion for the garage lights (that I did). The price was very reasonable. We were selling the home and our realtor gave us a ball park figure that was right in line with their estimate. In fact, afterwards I gave his card to my realtor, since he did not have a go to guy for electrical work. He does both small and large jobs. In addition, I needed the work do sooner that later and he was able to fit me in between jobs.

Description of Work
replaced gfci outlet in bathroom and garage. additional outlet for lights, removed old florescent fixtures in garage, wired and outlet for the attic exhaust fan.

Category electrician, home inspection

07/06/2018

Judy S.

John was awesome. He was out the same day I called him. He was professional and thorough. He was able to get everything up and running.

Description of Work
Our house was struck by lightning and damaged some of our electrical

05/29/2018

Brian K.

John is very knowledgeable and passionate about the work that he does and it shows. From the timeliness of the estimate to the scheduling of the installation, John was very professional and punctual. Services were performed well and issues dealt with promptly. John did a great job! We will use him again.

Description of Work
LED can lights, electrical/dimmer 3-way switches and GFI outlets, install hardwired smoke detector/carbon monoxide detectors.

Category electrician, lighting, home security systems

05/13/2018

Ahmed A.

Everything went very well. John, an exceptionally nice person, came a few minutes ahead of time. Went with me over the problem & working needed. He then checked the light outage in the basement, determined the exact reason for outage and then fixed it. He also removed the kitchen ceiling light and replaced it with a new one.

Description of Work
Repair lighting in basement + replace kitchen ceiling light

02/19/2018

John K.

Went great, John actually brought the fire alarms required by code and had no problems installing quickly and efficiently. We also discussed some other future work. John was very personable. Very convenient to get work done on a Saturday.

Description of Work
Replaced all the fire alarms in our house

02/13/2018

David P.

Very well - John assessed the problem, explained the electrical setup and got the circuit working again.

Description of Work
Problem with old wiring after a DIY attempt to install a new light switch.

12/17/2017

Thomas M.

The work was done very well, he was punctual and pleasant, and we were very satisfied. He informed us of the approximate price before he arrived.

Description of Work
fixing an electrical connection and installing a chandelier

12/14/2017

Frank S.

Very well. Found that water had seeped into an electrical box. Also found a ground fault on another circuit.

Description of Work
Electricity in bathroom kept going out.

12/06/2017

JAMES N.

John and Connie were actually able to come a day earlier than planned which was fine with us. They arrived when they said they would and got right to work. They made some very good suggestions which we followed. They worked quickly and the work was very professionally done. We were very pleased with the results. We would also like to note that this was a relatively small job and a couple of the other companies that we contacted for bids would not even consider doing such a small job. Thankfully, John and Connie accepted the job and did it well. We highly recommend John Kivel Electric, LLC.

Description of Work
We had three pull-chain lights capped off and three new lights on switches installed.

11/30/2017

Jim H.

The Friday before Thanksgiving our power in the kitchen went out. Because we were hosting Thanksgiving needless to say panic set in. I called John late Friday afternoon and explained my predicament. He said he could come out tomorrow, Saturday, around 12:15. John showed up right on time and immediately assessed my problem. He replaced a faulty GFI and added others. Problem solved! John saved the day. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Solved electrical problems.

11/16/2017

VICTOR U.

John Kivel turned down easy money and increased my DIY confidence. So for me it went splendidly.

Description of Work
I hired John Kivel over ten years ago on a remodeling contractor's recommendation and he did very satisfactory work at a reasonable price. This week I was getting frustrated with a DIY wiring job, a simple one on the face of it, but my work kept ending up in a thrown breaker. I left John a voice message and he called me back. After I described the situation, he said I should think again about paying for a service call when with a little persistence I could find the source of the short circuit myself. Instead of calling another contractor, I gave it one more try and found a 1/8-inch section of missing wire insulation. In a metal junction box, that's enough to cause trouble!

10/26/2017

Jonnel G.

John was very knowledgeable, efficient and personable. He did a great job and the pricing was very reasonable. He gave me a quote over the phone and it was pretty close to what the bill was which was very valuable to me being on a fixed budget.

Description of Work
3 lights installed

10/23/2017

Linda R.

They were done in a couple of hours. I have other wall switch issues that will need replacement and I will call them.

Description of Work
I needed two ceiling fans replaced with ceiling lights that I purchased. They had to replace the wiring from both wall switches to the ceiling fixtures.

10/08/2017

Renee O.

John and his wife were outstanding. They were understanding, professional, punctual, and did an all around excellent job. There are probably many electricians who can do the basic work. The customer service and commitment to excellence from the Kivels was what stood out. A+++.

Description of Work
We needed a long fixture either repaired or replaced above the bathroom mirror. Long fluorescent tubes were used in the fixture. John and his wife came out and found that the ballast has gone. They were willing to get a new fixture with LED tubes (since fluorescent will not be used that much longer in fixtures). They did the install.

10/04/2017

Tom T.

Super. He was on-time, knowledgeable and very easy to deal with

Description of Work
installing new outlets and assessing general condition of house electrics.

09/27/2017

Michael L.

Perfect. He's my go to Electrician now.

Description of Work
Jon was able to help me work on an unfinished bedroom and bathroom in my new home. He was prompt in stopping by to give a quote and prompt in coming back to get the work done.

Creekside Electric LLC

We are a fully Licensed, Bonded and Insured family owned business with over 20 years experience. We believe that "Quality comes First" on all of our projects, no matter the size.

Randy's Electric

You deserve a safe and reliable home. Get the job done right the first time with outstanding customer service from the Twin Cities top rated electrician. Outlets, fans, lighting, smoke detectors, switches, and service panels. Your full service electrician.

Offers by Randy's Electric on Angi
    Harrison Electric Inc

14 Employees. No subs. Cost determined by the job. Travel charge applies. No extra charge for 24-hour emergency service (for existing customers only). Primary service area- Western & Northern suburbs of Minneapolis/St Paul including Hennepin, Anoka & Ramsey counties and parts of Sherburne county. All employees are background checked and drug tested.

Check, MasterCard, Visa

Residential & commercial electrical. Power outages, emergencies & storm damage. Upgrading of electrical service panel & meter. Smoke detectors, grounding & wiring to meet code. Truth & housing corrections & code compliance. Electrical for heat tape & in floor heat. Home additions & remodel projects, retrofit lighting to improve efficiency & energy use, specialty lighting, LED Cans, ceiling fans & bath fans, run dedicate circuits for appliance & garage feeds, car chargers, landscape & security.