Super Electric Inc

Founded 1993 • With Angi since June 2000

333 Colborne Street

Saint Paul, MN 55102

Jon Mortenson, Owner and Master Electrician, has over 30 years of experience and brings those hard-earned skills to every new project. His commitment to outstanding customer service and getting the job done right the first time has built a solid reputation among those who have asked Super Electric to handle their toughest work. Jon personally takes care of every job and guarantees excellence, cleanliness, and professionalism at every step along the way....

02/11/2021

Christine W.

John worked with me on prioritizing safety over "wish list". this 1906 house had been rewired very poorly. We broke it down into phases and 2 out 3 phases have been completed. Steve, who worked on my wiring and fixtures, replacing the old fuse box with breakers and setting the powerlines safely into the house was really great! All fixtures and routing in the basement 1,000 sq. feet, was done. Old useless stuff removed. Super clean, really great communication and lots of understanding. I would call John and his crew active listeners!

Description of Work
Old house upgrade

Category electrician, lighting

Thank you for your review. It was great working for you.

09/22/2020

Bruce O.

The project went smoothly from start to finish. Very responsive from the initial call to completion of the project. We are very happy with the quality of the work and the cost was competitive.

Description of Work
Grounding of electrical service and installation of new circuits

Category electrician, home security systems

06/17/2020

Rebecca U.

Everything went like clockwork from start to finish, we are so extremely pleased!! Very enjoyable experience. Jon called me back promptly and also immediately came to the house to give an estimate. He is so friendly, personable, and professional! You can tell that he takes pride in his company and in his work. Even though we didn't have a particularly 'big job' for them to do, they took care of the repairs right away. I will recommend Super Electric to all my friends and would never think of using a different electrician in the future. Highly, highly recommend!

Description of Work
Needed a new outlet for our dishwasher and a few other small things

01/23/2020

Patty J.

Excellent. Jon, the owner, was very professional. He was easy to schedule and communicate with. His employee,Steve, was also top-notch. He was professional and timely with his services. Both guys were great . The work was done quick and neatly. I was very, very pleased and satisfied with Super Electric and highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Upgrade electric from fuses to breakers.

01/20/2020

Lee L.

We needed to get our service upgraded to 200 amp, plus various other projects to make our newly purchased home up to code. Jon and his team did a great job-showed up on time, cleaned up each day, and did outstanding work. I’d highly recommend super electric.

Description of Work
Home Electrical Upgrade++

01/30/2019

Richard A.

We live in an old 1900-era home that was once a duplex. When we purchased the home our contractor (at the time) quoted us top dollar to add one fixture to our second floor hallway. We turned him down because we had other expenses to worry about. Almost a year to the date since we put our offer on this house, I contacted Jon to get an estimate for several jobs: we decided to add two new ceiling lights-one on the second floor, one in the front stairwell, a light in the foyer, a fan in the living room, swap out a lighting fixture in the main floor, and because we have two front doors we asked Jon to transfer the doorbell wiring so that we can use our second door as the main entrance. Not only did Jon give me prompt service and offered a reasonable bid, but because he had a late cancellation he offered me a deep discount for the job if I accepted right away. Steve came in the next day and did a masterful job. He worked diligently with great care and respect for our home, and he cleaned up after he finished. I can't see ever doing another electrical project without Super Electric.

Description of Work
Added two lights, moved fan to living room, rewire job, and redirected door bell

08/26/2018

Scott A.

Terrible. Work substandard and not as agreed upon. Condescending and gouging billing practice. Tried to resolve issues as I am the customer and Jon refused. Came to address concerns once and actually caused additional damage. Broke drywall, damaged an exterior light and interior light. Lights not spaced properly and uneven. Centerline of room is off 5”. Faulty outlet that shorts out when in uses. Billed for items not completed. don’t normally complete reviews but am obligated to alert you to this company. Please do yourself a favor and avoid doing business with this company. You will be glad you did and will have a timely drama-free job completed by another vendor more than likely at a fair price without the bait and switch and unwillingness to resolve concerns. He refused to correct the issues and moved straight to court. Should be noted he’s been paid for services and not standing behind them.

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel fuse panel relocate and upgrade exterior lighting added

Category electrician

I can't say how disappointment I am that this job ended up this way so far. I try to make sure all the people I work for are very happy when the job is finished as you can see by the reviews that I have received. The job started out just fine when I meet with the general contractor and for some reason that was the last time I saw him ( not sure what happened) Then I meet with the home owner and went over just what he was looking to do. He needed to move the electrical service circuit breaker [Member Information Removed] out of the bathroom and into the bedroom that presented some issues with the large portable sauna in the room. He was also doing a kitchen remodel. We went over exactly what he wanted in the kitchen and came out with a good lighting design. We moved the electrical service panel into the bedroom and wired the kitchen and at that point the home owner and I went over all that was done in the kitchen. I had the recessed can lighting working and he said it all looked good. We had the electrical inspector out and all passed inspection for the rough-in wiring. I called him a few times to see when we could come back and finish the job and he said it was not ready. Almost a year later he called and said it was ready. We came in and finished all the electrical work (minus no chime) and at that time all was good with him. I was waiting for the final payment to come in the mail and it just did not come. I called and left a few messages and finally he called me back and said I needed to come back and address a few things. I went out to the house to see what needed my attention and that is then everything changed. I meet his wife for the first time. She was very upset and crying and wailing the entire 2 1/2 hours I was there. She did not like the lighting fixture she purchased over the sink ( she bought it not me) The ceiling over the peninsula had two levels so the lighting fixtures she purchased were pendent fixtures with steel rods and she wanted them to be the same height. I told her she may need to buy fixtures with chains or cables so I could adjust them to be at the same height. Her husband tried to cut one rod to fix it but the rods are threaded at both ends so that will not work and he must have damaged the fixture in the process. she was upset that there were to very small hole in the wall that has not been painted yet so I said the one hole I can patch and the other hole was for the door bell chime. She said she did not want a door bell, so I patched that hole as well, a few days later she said I needed to come back and get the door bell working. He states I broke the drywall (this is that he is referring to, the two holes). They say the lighting fixture were off by 5" I do about one kitchen a week and I have been doing this for 37 years so I do know how to design kitchen lighting. The lighting fixtures needed to be exactly where they were placed so all the lighting fixtures ( recessed cans, peninsula lights and dinette light) would look symmetrically right and they do. He said they looked good after I installed them and they used them for almost a year with nothing said. The back exterior light was broken but I did not do it but I repaired it anyway but he wanted me to buy him a new one. Before I leave a job I check all lighting, switches and receptacles and all were work in good order. He was not billed for items not done, in fact I did not bill him for a few small jobs I did do. I like to do a little extra for clients because they sure appreciate it. They still own me over 1800.00 Sad to say but in this business you deal with so many people that about every 5 years or so you run into people that no matter what you do you cannot make them happy. I sure try to and it upsets me when I can't. Thanks for reading all this, Jon

05/14/2018

Melissa L.

We did a pretty big re-wire project on our knob-and-tube wired home. Rewired all of the knob-and-tube outlets, added lighting and some outlets, and added outdoor outlets and lighting. Jon was great to work with and Steve did almost all of the work while we were out of town, making the whole project nearly imperceptible to us. The price was fair and I've recommended them several times already. We have just a little more knob-and-tube to replace and we'll hire them to do it once we're ready.

Description of Work
Existing home rewiring

01/02/2018

Anthony V.

Excellent, very prompt and professional

Description of Work
Add outlets, LED shop lights and electric heater in attached garages

11/25/2017

MISHA L.

We have hired Super Electric many times and are never disappointed. Jon is always responsive and friendly and does a great job explaining what needs to be done. Whenever anyone asks about electrical work, I always recommend Super Electric.

Description of Work
Replace old electrical service panel, properly ground circuits, label all breakers, replace exterior outlets.

10/18/2017

Joan G.

Great. Jon gave me a few recommendations for my lighting needs. I'm glad that I listened to him. Even the electrical inspector told me that I made a good pick with Super Electric. He said he has never seen any problems with his work.

Description of Work
Need electrical work in my kitchen and bath. Jon identified an electrical hazard in my garage and fixed it too.

09/07/2017

Donald L.

The job took a little over one day to complete. The entire project was well done. Very professional and courteous. Jon was very aware of the codes of the city and what was necessary to pass inspection. The inspection went well. Would highly recommend Super Electric.

Description of Work
Overhead wires from the house to the garage had to be replaced due to their height. It was deemed dangerous by the city. A trench had to be dug from the garage to the house in which 20 amp service was run. The garage had to be rewired including the addition of two GFI outlets . The line was then run into the house and connected to the electrical panel. We were charged $2000.00. Another electrical company quoted $4500.00 for the same service.

Category electrician, remodeling

08/19/2017

Rebecca B.

Services were performed with very high quality and excellent workmanship. Jon was prompt, professional and efficient. I would definitely hire Super Electric again and would certainly recommend this company.

Description of Work
1) Upgraded my electrical service. 2) Added lighting

07/27/2017

richard W.

The upgrade was performed according to the plan agreed to, on the date scheduled, at the price agreed to, without incident. It passed municipal inspection. I found Jon Mortenson knowledgeable, professional, and easy to communicate with. He asked me all the right questions to make sure I got what I needed.

Description of Work
Upgrading a residential electrical service to current standards.

07/26/2017

Jack M.

They no quoted us and shamed us for not knowing exactly how our house that we just bought was wired. Also lost our number and address and didn't show up for the original appointment

Description of Work
Wanted a quote to rewire our third floor.

07/26/2017

ART P.

Jon and Steve arrived on time, laid out drop cloths on the floor and plastic sheets over the walls, resolved some unforeseen structural issues during the project, walked me through the finished project, contacted the city inspector, and cleaned up. We’re very happy with the whole process and would recommend Super Electric for any home electrical projects.

Description of Work
We met with Jon, owner and master electrician, to discuss what we needed to upgrade our kitchen lighting by installing 2 new pendants, 3 new under cupboard lights, 2 ceiling lights, and moving an existing light. He gave a presentation where he showed us documents for his license, insurance, a stack of Angie’s List reviews, discussed how he would approach our project, and a provide competitive estimate, including the permit. Very professional.

Category electrician, lighting, home remodeling

07/05/2017

JOhn M.

We did not get past the phone discussion stage.

Description of Work
We have a 3-condo garage whose wiring needs to be modified to make the lighting independent for each owner. Super Electric chose to not visit or bid as they do not do that kind of work. Disappointing.

06/07/2017

Anne B.

John arrived on time and provided an on the spot estimate. John and Steve arrived on the agreed upon work date and re-established the project goals and adjusted to some decision changes I had made between the accepting the estimate and the actual project. The work was completed on schedule and high quality as far as I could tell (and also passed inspection). I was especially impressed with Steve's ability to keep our house clean and up and running with electricity to all rooms over the evenings during this 3 day project.

Description of Work
Replaced large portion of overloaded Knob and Tube Circuit on to new circuits. Also added new outlets and lights to multiple rooms.

04/27/2017

Gerald D.

Jon is awesome. He is really meticulous and very detailed. I have him a rudimentary design which he took and made sure all fixtures were on the proper place. For example he used lasers to make sure the island was perfectly centered under the pendant lights. Jon is a pleasant guy to work with. You can't go wrong hiring Super Electric.

Description of Work
Electrical work for kitchen.

04/07/2017

Quoc N.

He declined to take small jobs when i called and says he only does larger jobs.

Description of Work
Fix broken light fixture, rewire light in house, fix light switch not working.

02/18/2017

Jerry L.

It couldn't have gone better. Jon came out right away for an estimate and the next day to hook up the bathroom heater. A short time later Steve came and changed out the panel. There wasn't a wasted motion the entire time. The job was done very professionally. He even upgraded some of the existing wiring. We couldn't be happier with the work. The inspector was thrilled with the quality of the work and commented that all of their jobs were of the same high quality.

Description of Work
We had our panel changed out and the electric heater in the bathroom wired.

Category electrician

Thank you for your review, We did a complete electrical service upgrade inside and outside with a new 100 amp panelboard and a new electrical meter socket and mast. Install a baseboard heater circuit and wired it in second floor bathroom. It was great working for you. You had everything out of the way in front of the old electrical panelboard which was nice. Jon

10/03/2016

Paul G.

Jon and his assistant showed up at the agreed upon time. In the timeframe he originally promised, he not only checked everything off the original work order list, they did a few extras that we asked them to do within the originally quoted time at a very fair cost. The job was done quickly and professionally to our complete satisfaction. They cleaned up and left our house as clean as they found it. The cost was reasonable for the amount and quality of work they did. I recommend them highly!

Description of Work
My insurance agent told me he could get me a much better deal on my homeowners insurance, but we had to get rid of our ancient knob and tube wiring. We had two electrical contractors come to our house. Neither one was interested. I got the impression that it was too much work, and they would rather take on an easier job. A search on Angie's list turned up Super Electric. The owner Jon came out to take a look. Where others had shown no interest, he told me "I like this kind of job. New construction is like factory work, where this is more of a challenge."

08/16/2016

Jeanne C.

Jon came out and took enough time to thoroughly look at what I wanted done, made suggestions and gave me a firm quote that day. Steve did all the actual work but Jon came out the first day of work to go over with Steve what needed to be done. Steve produced high quality work. He demonstrated that he is a skilled electrician, a problem solver, patient, professional yet friendly, confident, knowledgeable & has strong interpersonal skills. He also went above and beyond by doing a couple extras things for me. I complimented him on his skill but he said that Jon knows a lot more. Steve is highly skilled so I can't wrap my brain around how much more skilled Jon is! It has been over a week since the work was completed and I have found no issues. I will continue to go to Super Electric for future electrical needs.

Description of Work
Increased amps into home. Installed new junction box, additional outlets, upgraded outlets, replaced and installed new light fixtures, etc.

07/30/2016

Cory R.

Amazing! Jon is so professional and knowlegable and NO one can beat his rates. He has great prices and does high quality work. I can not emphais this enough... HIRE THIS COMPANY!!! You will get it done right and you'll get the best price. I will never call any other company for my electrical needs, Super Electric and the owner, Jon, are the best!!

Description of Work
Rewiring my garage, installed heaters in my garage, added baseboard heater to my porch with a new panel in the garage

06/14/2016

Linda K.

It is a small company. The fellow who did the re-wiring, he inadvertently or accidentally disconnected an outside switch. When I called, the owner sent him over to fix it. It didn't cost me anything. It was a very fast response time.

Description of Work
They rewired my house.