St Paul Automotive

Founded 1982 • With Angi since October 2008

910 Randolph Ave

Saint Paul, MN 55102

Full Automotive repair facility for ALL Makes and Models(classics included). Complete diagnostics and repairs performed by ASE Certified Technicians....

06/11/2021

Bryan H.

If I could give less than 1 start, I would. They had the car for a week and when I finally told them I was going to pick it up and take it somewhere else, it was running worse than when I dropped it off. When I dropped it off, the ABS light was on and you did not experience any issues until you got over 45mph. When I picked it up, the ABS light was still on, you couldn't drive over about 25 mph which is a guess because now the speedometer is not working plus now the air bag light is on. They had no idea what they were doing; I knew more from looking online then they did and was able to tell them what to check. I had to continually call for updates and they never called back like they said. Terrible service. I have no idea how they got 5 stars to this point. Since the car ran worse when I picked it up then when I dropped it off, they at least didn't try to charge me for the "work" they had done.

Description of Work
ABS Light was on, needed a new ABS Control Module

Category auto repair, transmission repair

10/20/2020

CHRIS K.

The service was fast, speedy and reliable. They're very nice people.

Description of Work
Oil Change and maintenance

06/18/2020

Colleen K.

I use St. Paul Automotive to service three household cars (Toyota Corolla, Mazda CX9, and Suzuki SX4) and they do a great job. They are straightforward and tell you what needs to be done now and what can wait until later. They also stand behind their warranty and will fix things again as needed under warranty.

Description of Work
Auto Service

Category auto repair, car inspections

06/25/2018

DONNA H.

Very well! They fixed a problem another mechanic did not diagnose let alone repair. I am happy to have cold air in my car again!

Description of Work
I had work done on my air conditioner.

10/10/2017

Jocelyn M.

The staff were very friendly, even at 7 in the morning. Their waiting space is clean and inviting. I will be returning to St. Paul Automotive for future oil changes, and service recommendations. I did purchase an oil change package which was sold as more economical than paying individually each time. I also stopped in one morning without an appointment to get a blinker bulb replaced, and this took about 5 minutes, then on my way again. There is some larger work needed on my vehicle in the near future, so I will update my review as needed following that.

Description of Work
My first service appointment was for an oil change including normal inspection, etc.

01/20/2017

Jon W.

In all honesty, this place is a dream come true! I called around asking for quotes and thought I would check this place out. I talked to Scott Jr. on the phone and told him what I needed. Long story short, Scott took very good care of me! He is extremely knowledgeable! His rates are very good and his craftsmanship is amazing. I called them and mentioned that this is my new family place for car care. Don't think about going to this place--JUST GO!! Honestly, this place is a 10 out of 10!! Good honest people at great rates is a rare find!! A+

Description of Work
Replaced 2 oil pressure switches.

12/29/2016

Dean C.

It got done quickly and efficiently. I have no complaints about it. I was able to drop off my car in the evening. They have a drop box for the key. That made it easier for me to get the work done and fit in with my schedule.

Description of Work
I had them do some work on my truck.

04/09/2016

Jason S.

I brought the van in for a fairly typical tie-rod replacement, and to fix a leaking gasket. They fit me in the same day, which was great. A couple hours after I dropped it off, the technician advised that the rack and pinion was very close to bursting, and the whole unit would need to be replaced. This increased the cost of service by $1,000 but understandably needed to be done. They completed the job in one day for both the gasket and the rack and pinion. The replacement part was terrible, and broke within only 24 hours. The person I worked with (Scott) was very responsive and fit me in immediately for a replacement. Based on service and price, I would definitely go back to this company. I marked down one star on quality because of their part supplier. Also disappointed that Angie's list offered a discount with this company less than a week since my taking in my vehicle. Again, I cannot fault them for that, but it would have been a considerable savings.

Description of Work
Brought the van in for a inner tie-rod replacement as advised by my oil change company, but discovered it needed a full rack and pinion.

11/17/2014

JAMES O.

Get they call with an estimate they stayed within that estimate and finished before they said they would

Description of Work
Changed the wiring harness, all spark plugs and fixed window that wouldn't go up.

09/28/2014

Michael B.

They did a great job and I'm very happy with the result. I have a 97 buick lesabre that has a number of issues that I've been pushing off. The AC/Heater compartment didn't push any air into the cabin, the brakes needed work, and The rack and pinion broke this past winter. As a result of broken rack and pinion, just about everything else with the steering broke as well. Brackets, hoses, etc. I didn't drive it all summer but decided it was time to get the car back on the road. I dropped it off with a list of items that I wanted them to look at and make an estimate for. They gave me a price that was about where I thought it would be...actually, it was under what I thought it would be, which was a relief, so I had them go forward with the project. Now I can actually steer the vehicle, I have working AC and Heat, new front brakes and they even fixed the tensioner so it doesn't squeak anymore...it was very loud and obnoxious before. The estimate was right on and I saved a little because I had Triple A. Good experience all around.

Description of Work
Rebuilt the steering, replaced the front brakes, replaced the AC unit.

07/03/2014

Nichole A.

While I am only writing about our last visit to St. Paul Automotive, we used them for auto repair services for five years before we moved. They weren't as cheap as some other places, but they are worth the marginally higher cost for the quality and professionalism of their service. They have a very nice, clean waiting area, and for jobs that take a day or two, they will pick you up and drop you off! The repairs were always done well, and all costs were thoroughly explained upfront before the work began. Perhaps most importantly, they are honest about what repairs are critical and what can wait - they don't try to take you for everything you have just because you're there! One other thing to highlight just how good they are and why we wouldn't go anywhere else (I wish I still lived by them!): We had a service/repair contract on one of our vehicles, and they called the provider multiple times to argue, on our behalf, about the necessity of some repairs. When the insurance place was trying to cheat us out of our due, St. Paul Automotive fought for us. That's service you really can't put a price on! I highly recommend St. Paul Automotive, and wish they had a second location near our new house!

Description of Work
Oil change

06/11/2014

patricia N.

Very well. Courteous. Helpful. Respectful.

Description of Work
Fix leak in floor and other stuff I don't understand

04/27/2014

Kristine L.

It went extremely well! I envisioned a much bigger problem which is MUCH more expensive. They helped me understand and the price was so much better than I imagined!

Description of Work
Evaluated my car for check engine light, noises, and difficulty driving. Diagnosed the problems, explained them in detail, and fixed them in a timely manner.

Category auto repair, car inspections

03/07/2014

Drew M.

The oil changes were definitely higher than some of the rapid oil change type places, but I felt like that their services were good and I felt like that they are checking out other things as well. They were double checking on certain things so I felt like that I was getting good value.

Description of Work
I take my vehicle to St Paul Automotive for oil change and a battery change.

02/06/2014

Mark F.

I took my car in for brake maintenance but they told me the brakes were okay.

Description of Work
I took my car in for brake maintenance but they told me the brakes were okay.

10/07/2013

James M.

I called for an appointment. I delivered the car on the day of the appointment. I signed the work order and left for shopping. A couple hours later I returned and the job was done. So far the work seems as needed;. I have a very old car which I am trying to keep running for a few more years. I wanted a place that would get to the work promptly. This shop did that. It was convenient for my other shopping visits because it is on the bus line I take to west 7th.

Description of Work
Brake shoe replacement.

09/04/2013

Drew M.

Very impressed by their customer service. There was a follow-up call a few days later and a thank you note/survey in the mail a week later. We'll be back.

Description of Work
They did an oil change, replaced the battery, and transmission fluid.

05/09/2013

Annabel K.

St. Paul Automotive are very customer friendly, it is easy to get appointments and their diagnosis is always correct.

Description of Work
We use St. Paul Automotive for car repair. We do all of our service work through them.

12/26/2012

Scott M.

St. Paul Automotive went out of their way to reduce the cost of the transmission fluid (available only from the manufacturer) to their cost and way above and beyond by discounting the labor costs as well. As always, the customer comes first at SPA. I bring my vehicles to SPA for all my automotive service needs. They are friendly, caring, professional and, above all, I trust them.

Description of Work
I brought my 2007 Jeep Patriot in for scheduled service: oil and filter change, transmission fluid change, and a winter check-up.

02/17/2012

Kathleen B.

Great job. I have a 2007 Saturn Aura

Description of Work
It was just an oil change and estimate as to what else I needed. Like tires and battery. They did an excellent job and replaced a bolt that had fallen out from previous work at another automotive place when I had a brake job done. They were very thorough and I do plan on returning. I ended up getting tires elsewhere because it became a crisis, so had to do it in a hurry. Otherwise I would have gone back to St. Paul Auto. I had called for an estimate but didn't get a response. I was very satisfied with all that they did and will return.

10/20/2011

TOM Y.

WOW! You have to love a service company where the owner is one of the workers. Great service, nice people, fair price.

Description of Work
1957 Chevy pickup. Brakes, master cylinder, brake cylinders, shoes, wheel lugs, carburetor work, electrical work, oil change, adjustments, etc. Great job!

Category

04/16/2011

DAN F.

It went very well. I had been putting off work on my truck because the experience is at best annoying. Then I had the "bright" idea of checking Angie's List for an auto shop. St. Paul Automotive had great ratings and was located as convenient as any on my short list. Boy, am I glad I selected St Paul Automotive. I don't know if I've ever had an auto repair experience where I felt so well taken care of, appreciated, and completely communicated with. I think this is as good as it gets (other than buying a new car every year or less - and even then I don't think I'd feel so satisfied with the experience). I had checked on prices elsewhere over the last few months and I know this list of repairs could easily have run $3000 elsewhere. I've very pleased and highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Replaced ball joints and swing arms. Rebuilt front brakes. Replaced head gasket. Replaced belt tensioner.

03/21/2011

Shawn C.

Very well. My daughter stayed while the work was being done and it started on time and done within a reasonable amount of time.

Description of Work
Oil change and check-up

09/28/2010

Scott M.

We knew there was something wrong with the brakes on our 2000 Ford, but we weren't sure how significant it was. We got estimates from two other shops (a dealer and another independent shop)--both at $1000+. St. Paul Automotive estimated $600. Not only were they less expensive, they did more work than the other shops quoted for and they fixed a nagging electrical problem for less than the original estimate. St. Paul Automotive was friendly, professional and delivered their services on time and under their estimate. What more can you ask? They didn't just want to "do the job," they wanted us to be 100% satisfied--and we were. We definitely recommend them to our friends and family--and everybody else!

Description of Work
Replace front rotors and pads; resurface and clean rear brakes; replace rear pads; diagnose and repair a now-you-see-it, now-you-don't electrical problem with the turn signals.

04/27/2010

Sarah D.

Everyone I interacted with at St. Paul Automotive was friendly, professional, and made me feel like a valued customer they had known for years (this was my first time using them). They dropped me off at work and picked me up. The work they performed was done on time and came in almost $80 less than the estimate. I don't know enough about automobile parts to know if the prices were good, I gave them a B because the prices seemed reasonable, but I can't be sure. Their price for the 60,000-mile check-up alone was a little lower than the dealer's. When I was checking out, they did ask me if I had any coupons or a AAA membership. I greatly appreciated this because I am a AAA member, but had completely forgotten to ask. Overall, I was extremely comfortable with the people I interacted with at St. Paul Automotive, and I definitely intend to continue using them for my car maintenance and repair.

Description of Work
They performed a 60,000-mile check up and addressed several small issues resulting from deferred maintenance. These included replacing air filter and cabin air filter, battery maintenance, replacing windshield wiper blades, among other things.