Rogers Masonry

Founded 1986 • With Angi since March 2002

I started in the Masonry business in 1976 and have been working ever since. I started my business in 1980 and incorporated in 1986. We are a small company with an experienced crew. They've all worked with me for the last 20 years. Experienced with working with condo associations and large building

masonry (28)chimney repair (18)chimney cap repair (7)fireplace services (5)foundation repair (3)basement remodeling (1)marble & granite (1)stone & gravel (1)concrete repair (1)

11/24/2019

GREG B.

In Aug./Sep. 2019, Rogers Masonry did a tear-down of our decrepit stuccoed chimney, followed by a beautiful brick re-build. The project posed some every unique challenges that Roger handled with a high level of professionalism and diligence. He is exceptionally knowledgeable in all chimney-related matters and provided almost-daily progress reports to document the work his crew was performing. His communication was exemplary, and he was responsive to our questions/concerns, all of which he promptly addressed. We were especially appreciative of the many pictures of the ongoing work that Roger provided throughout the project. We have already had the opportunity to make a referral for Roger and hope to work with him on another chimney project in 2020.

Description of Work
Chimney tear-down and re-build

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Work Completed On 08/19/2019

05/24/2019

DALE C.

Roger, the owner, is very knowledgeable and flexible. He was willing to extra spend time with me as we jointly decided what design would be best for the top of the chimney. As a bonus, he gave me the option (which I took) to use some high quality brick that he had left over from a previous project for a discount. Replacing all of the brick and the flue at the chimney base without having tons of brick above it collapse, destroying the house, is advanced masonry work. I had contacted other highly rated masons from Angie's List also. They all returned my calls and said that they would give me quotes, but didn't even though I contacted them multiple times. They didn't say why they wouldn't give me a quote, but my educated guess is that they hadn't replaced the entire base of an existing chimney. Curt, Chris and Pete were the masons that worked on our chimney. Their work was very well done and they were friendly. Our roof is moderately steep, so they set up scaffolding from the ground with a bridge then going to the chimney. Because masons are not allowed by St Paul city code to replace the chimney liner, I pulled a permit and replaced it myself. After I did this, Curt from Rogers Masonry, kindly came back and installed brick around the opening in the basement where the liner exits the chimney going to the boiler. I presumed that I would have to do this, so this was a pleasant surprise. Chris cleaned up the original clean out door, that was cast in St Paul, at the bottom of the chimney so that it could be reinstalled... a classy touch. Because most masons were unwilling to bid on this project, it is difficult to tell how competitive Rogers Masonry bid was. The bid that I received from Rogers was not inflated. However, the 'B' rating for cost represents the small number of masons willing to bid on the work... which isn't Rogers Masonry fault. For the quality and expertise of work done by Rogers Masonry, it would be mistake not obtain a bid from them on your masonry project. I'm very pleased with the company, the employees and the work performed. The work that Rogers performed looks much nicer than the quality of brick laying that was originally done over 100 years ago. I strongly recommend them without reservation. The included images are all of the base of chimney in the basement. Note that the mortar is all tooled (the originals were not) and the courses are neatly layed... even though it's in a basement where it doesn't matter. FYI: The mortar around the chimney liner in one of the images is a darker because those bricks were just installed... filling the opening that was left so that I could install the liner.

Description of Work
Seven courses from exterior chimney top were removed due to damage and redesigned/replaced. Approximately 8 feet of the original 100+ year old brick chimney base and flue from in an unfinished basement were also replaced due to deterioration.

Work Completed On 04/23/2019

Review for Rogers Masonry - 711 Maple Park Ct, Saint Paul, MN - 37895816

11/13/2018

R K K G.

We had three estimates and Roger was our clear choice because he noticed so many important things that needed fixing that the other two missed. His higher level of expertise was obvious. This work included many projects, involving a tremendous amount of labor. It took several weeks to totally complete. Roger offered suggestions for our front steps, which could have been left as concrete but we decided to splurge and use our favorite rock as an overlay. We special ordered Morton Gneiss (rock) from Coldspring for the step overlays and the buttress caps, in addition to the special order of two colors of brick for the buttresses. We personally researched and chose the rock and the brick. Roger has the experience and expertise to know what should be done and how best to do it. We enjoyed meeting and working with Roger and his crew. He has the most amazing crew of extremely experienced and expert workers. We can't say enough good things about Curtis, Chris, and Chaz. Their work was remarkably meticulous and skilled and showed the pride they take in it. In addition, they are very personable and courteous. They tidied up before leaving each day. If they came upon unforeseen problems, they discussed them with us and then fixed them, some at no extra charge. They even prepared a base and moved the two former heavy concrete buttress caps to our boulevard to use as a walkway at no charge. As a potential customer, if Roger doesn't get back to you right away, don't give up because he does return calls and he is most definitely worth the wait. He is extremely busy and we feel very fortunate that he was the contractor for our project.

Description of Work
Front steps rock overlay, Side brick buttresses rebuilt with foundation repaired, Replace rotted wood, Chimney repair and tuckpointing, Bricks surrounding bottom of house (including window boxes) repair and tuckpointing, Replaced concrete slab directly in front of steps.

Category concrete repair, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, marble & granite

Work Completed On 10/23/2018

Review for Rogers Masonry - 711 Maple Park Ct, Saint Paul, MN - 37559710

08/29/2017

Bruce G.

Extremely well, matched old bricks with new very well. Reused old bricks as much as possible. Cleaned up well. Curt and Chris communicated well and explained how some things are done that I hadn't realized.

Description of Work
Replace thirteen courses on the chimney, rebuild under a small bay window, rebuild two corners of a garage, rebuild two small sections of the garage wall, replace top stones on a retaining wall, repair front steps, tuckpointing and brick replacements.

Work Completed On 10/29/2016

06/03/2017

Susan D.

Great.! Very professional, did a great job, careful about my flower beds and cleaned everything up. Love the new steps.

Description of Work
New brick front steps

Work Completed On 06/03/2017

04/21/2017

David M.

Roger was especially knowledgeable about working with the old limestone foundation, as well as the more typical tuckpointing. It had been somewhat difficult to find someone with the limestone expertise, so this was much appreciated. Price seemed to be in the ballpark, given other estimates we had received. The team that did the work was excellent and respectful. Communication was timely and appropriate, including prompt and helpful response to a follow-up question after the work was completed.

Description of Work
We needed maintenance work on our limestone basement foundation, repairs to the firebox of our fireplace, and tuckpointing on the chimney.

Category masonry, chimney repair, fireplaces, foundation repair

Work Completed On 04/21/2017

12/19/2016

Mary S.

It went very well. Top-notch. The 2 men, Chris and Curt, arrived on time, were polite, pleasant, tidy and worked steadily. It was a pleasure having them and now it's a pleasure having clean, tight, dry basement walls with no spider and rodent holes. All my interactions with Rogers Masonry have been Top-notch.

Description of Work
Rogers'men removed and replaced the mortar from the lower half of the stone basement walls in my 115 years old St.Paul home. With grinders they pulverized the old mortar to 1 deep from all the joins and replaced it with Portland Cement. In addition, they re-cemented the sills and vertical spaces around the 3 basement windows; filled a gaping hole containing an old cut-off drain pipe and filled holes and cracks above the main work area.

Category masonry, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 11/08/2016

12/03/2016

David C.

It was great! They were a pleasant to work with. One of the things that I really appreciated was that it did cost a little bit more than the original estimate, because it was a little bit more work and they told us about it. One of the things I really like about them too, that he had some extra stone and sold it to us for a lot less than what we would originally have paid.

Description of Work
We had to have our front house redone. They put stone on the front of the house.

Work Completed On 08/31/2016

09/01/2015

Karen T.

Excellent. Roger spent time explaining his bid and telling us exactly what needed to be done. The workers were punctual and cleaned up every day. Roger called or stopped by in person to let us know how everything was going and asked before additional work was done.

Description of Work
Repaired two chimneys.

Category chimney repair

Work Completed On 07/20/2015

07/07/2015

LORANE & CAROLE A.

Roger is professional, courteous and available for consult throughout the job. His two workers were pleasant, accommodating, and everything looks great. All were a pleasure to work with, and we're very happy with the results.

Description of Work
Tuck point and stabilized garage; tuck point around the brick home; did a nice job with stone/brick cement repair on front entry and back entry.

04/13/2015

GLENN F.

We've had other showroom basement areas repaired. Roger's guys did such a superior job there is no comparison. They were quick, organized, neat and pleasant. The wall would provide a handsome setting for a fireplace in a cabin or home. Anyone is welcome to see the job during store hours at 409 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis.

Description of Work
Tuckpointed 8x21 ft limestone wall that had been badly eroded in the basement classroom area of retail yarn store.

Category masonry, pavers, gravel, fireplaces

Work Completed On 12/17/2014

11/26/2014

RYAN K.

Very impressive! Roger and his team are consummate professionals. We had Roger and several other masonry contractors out in the spring to give bids on the above described work, and were surprised by how high all the quotes were, so we decided to hold off doing the work until later in the year. While Rogers Masonry was not the lowest of the bids, it was competitive. But what really made Roger stand out over the several months between bidding and hiring was his clear knowledge about, and genuine passion for, the work that he does (he's been in the business since 1976 and his lead crew member has been with him for 20 years!). But even more impressive was Roger and team's vast experience working on grand homes throughout the historic Cathedral Hill neighborhood of Saint Paul, and the fact that they actually enjoy working on these older homes?a quality that's increasingly difficult to find in contractors anymore. As a proud owner of an 1894 home in a historic area of Saint Paul, it's no easy feat finding contractors who do excellent work; are true craftsman; are respectful, courteous, and a genuine pleasure to communicate with; and on top of it all actually share your passion for your home and historic architecture in general. Needless to say, I'm thrilled to have found that truly unique combination with Rogers Masonry. Thank you, Roger and team!

Description of Work
Tuckpointed 3 chimneys on large historic home (2 large and 1 small chimney), re-built portions of disintegrated wythe walls between flues on 2 of the chimneys, installed new clay liners on top several feet of all flues, installed new crowns on all chimneys, and installed new copper Chim-a-lator dampers and/or copper chimney caps on all 5 flues.

Work Completed On 10/31/2014

11/24/2014

Mike K.

The Crew was great, and very clean. Workmanship is excellent.

Description of Work
Removed chimney crown and top 7 coarse of brick chimney, replaced with similar brick and mortar, installed new cement crown, resealed flashing.

Work Completed On 06/07/2014

06/16/2014

Joe B.

Roger and his team showed up promptly as agreed set up scaffolding and fixed the wall. Important note. our house was built in the 1890s and the mortar joints are very thin and tinted red. The repair matches the original work! They came the next day cleaned up and took down the scaffolding. The yard was cleaner than when they started!

Description of Work
A storm damaged our built-in gutter and the water leaked behind and into the middle of our three course brick wall. The water froze over the winter and pushed out the first course brick and spring rains washed out the pointing. Roger, removed all of the loose bricks cleaned them up and put them back into place and secured them to the interior wall.

Work Completed On 06/11/2014

06/03/2014

Richelle J.

Excellent. Roger is very professional and a nice guy to work with.

Description of Work
Repaired tuck points and several areas in the fountain area.

Work Completed On 05/13/2014

05/21/2014

L K.

kept appointments as scheduled take down: area was sealed off and room was kept clean crew was efficient, courteous, and willing to explain process re-surface: we got ideas from the gas fireplace showroom and used a photo of our favorite there when working with Roger's masonry. Roger's met with my spouse and made a point of waiting until I got home to review mantle placement, advise re soldier brickwork above fireplace - modify given mantle, height of box. Finished product includes limestone mantle, modified keystone look above firebox, limestone ledge across top of hearth. Refaced with Chardonnay ledgestone product we had photographed. Stone Mason spent two and a half days on project and was meticulous about pattern variation, balance, stone placement, stone cuts, and tint of mortar- recommending shade different from that in picture. It is beautiful. Tear out and reface was about $7,000 This did not include purchase or installation of gas fireplace.

Description of Work
tore out old accuheater/ventilator type fireplace box and vents refaced surround and hearth after new gas fire place was installed added mantle

Category masonry, fireplaces

Work Completed On 04/21/2014

05/02/2014

Lori A.

The Crew was wonderful, accommodating and very clean. Workmanship is excellent.

Description of Work
Complete tuck pointing of our entire home, built in 1936. Also, lower level basement window replacement w/ glass & block.

Work Completed On 03/31/2014

02/19/2014

James S.

We were really happy with the work that the guy who came out did but I do not remember how much he charged for it. He was really competent. He understood everything that he needed to do and he did a great job. There were problems with the fireplace and he was able to get everything arranged, fixed and checked out even if he really did not have to do that. We have not had a lot of that kind of stuff done but his price was reasonable for me as I recall. He was very booked up but we set up an appointment and he came out.

Description of Work
We used Rogers Masonry in December for checking and fixing our gas fireplace.

Category fireplaces

Work Completed On 12/19/2013

11/02/2013

Mary K.

Absolutely fabulous job by roger and his team I was impressed by their efficient work, attentiveness to detail, cleaning up after themselves and rogers timely response to my 1st phone calls. I'm already working with Rodger on springtime stone projects for front steps and lower area of my house

Description of Work
Removed old, badly cracked concrete and old chain link fence and gate a redesigned flow of concrete (new) to this large area on north and west side of my house

Category foundation repair

Work Completed On 10/16/2013

10/07/2013

Joseph B.

Roger and his team showed up with and completed the job within one day. ITS BEEN A YEAR AND IT STILL LOOKS GREAT!

Description of Work
The outside corner and wall of my hundred year old Carriage housed was severely deteriorated and falling apart. All of the bricks were spalled and flaking away. The whole corner needed replacement.

Category masonry, chimney repair, foundation repair

Work Completed On 10/10/2012

07/08/2013

Nancy H.

Roger was wonderful to work with. We were selling my mom's house and the inspector found the chimney was in need of repair. The neighbor had used Roger's Masonry a year or two ago, so called him and he was able to get out to look at it, give me a quote over the phone, I authorized it and went on vacation. Roger promptly came out, did the work, and sent me the bill and I promptly paid it. He was very professional, told me just what needed to be repaired rather than advising tear down and rebuild which I was happy for. I would recommend him to anyone needing chimney work.

Description of Work
Replace 3 rows of chimney brick and top cap, removed old antenna.

Work Completed On 06/13/2013

10/15/2012

DIANE S.

They did an excellent job but the clean-up was marginal. I had to have them come back our and clean up the bricks that had residue of the mortar all over. They were also oblivious to plantings in the yard. I would like to call their attention to being more respective to people’s lawn and yard. However, they did come back and clean up. The price was high but worth it. I have no complaints about the service and the product besides the clean-up was shotty.

Description of Work
They tuck pointed the chimney. We have a very high chimney and we had to have the top 8 bricks of the chimney replaced completely at the top. Also, the faces of certain brick had to be removed and replaced completely. They matched the color excellently.

Work Completed On 10/01/2012