Murphy's Lawn & Landscape

Founded 1984 • With Angi since August 2008

Murphy's Lawn Maintenance & Landscaping has been family owned & operated and serving our customers since 1986. Enhance the appearance of your yard with lawn maintenance and landscaping services. We are focused on your complete satisfaction and make sure you always receive commendable services at

Women Owned & OperatedWomen Owned & Operated
LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
24/7 Service Offered24/7 Service Offered
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

lawn care (35)lawn & landscaping (23)hardscaping (10)mulch delivering (6)snow removal (4)lawn treatment (4)Patios (2)fence company (4)driveway gate installation (3)tree service (2)stone & gravel (2)concrete repair (1)

02/01/2023

hayley L.

Everything went well, super responsive

Description of Work
Snow and ice removal at end of driveway and in front of the mailbox.

Category snow removal

Work Completed On 01/31/2023

08/22/2022

Amy S.

My husband and I are repeat customers of Murphy’s Lawn and Landscaping (PHM). We used Murphy twice for large landscaping projects. They not only transformed our yard, but gave us a yard that we never used to something we enjoy every day. The owner Pat has great recommendations on materials, style and what to do with challenging spaces. The cost estimate was on point, the staff were professional and respectful. I’d recommend (and have) to my neighbors and friends.

Description of Work
Retaining Walls and Landscaping

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 08/08/2022

Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate your Business and hope we can serve you again soon. Have a great day.

11/02/2021

Randy C.

Working with him was great. He and his crew were knowledgeable, helpful and professional. The workmanship is great and we are very happy with the product. We would definitely hire them again and recommend them. Update: Not only did Patrick and his crew do a great job, he sent me a refund check a few weeks later because he found a mistake in my billing. Wow.

Description of Work
Patrick build a dry stone retaining wall.

Category landscaping, pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 10/29/2021

Review for Murphy's Lawn & Landscape - 2036 English St, Saint Paul, MN - 39530114

Thank you! We really enjoyed doing your project and resolving the water issue with your downspout at the same time. We appreciate your business. Have a wonderful holiday season.

04/22/2020

David M.

Really well -- they did a great job and the yards looks spiffy.

Description of Work
Lawn care (spring clean-up, edging)

Category concrete repair, lawn service

Work Completed On 04/22/2020

Thank you for the opportunity to do work for you. Please feel free to call us for any outside work you need done. We very much appreciate your business and your Kind referral.

10/26/2019

Nancy V.

Pat Murphy’s crew did a great job. Our patio was made of granite pavers from old Saint Paul city streets, irregular in shape and heavy. This job required design work, landscaping, and a lot of heavy lifting. They were prompt, thorough, efficient, polite—we are so happy with the results.

Description of Work
Rebuilding of patio constructed of irregular granite pavers

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 07/22/2019

Thanks so much for your business and your kind words. Every job is unique in its own way but that is what makes our work so enjoyable for the last 33 years. We hope you enjoy your new living space for many years to come. Feel free to contact us in the future if you have any additional further landscaping needs.

03/20/2019

Gregory T.

This is an excellent company, and I would recommend them.

Description of Work
I have a contract with this company and they keep up my lawn.

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 03/15/2019

Thank you very much for your business and kind review of our service.

07/10/2018

Rick P.

Pat graciously acted on all of our changes throughput this project and executed the “final version” beautifully. They bent over backwards to accommodate our (changing) deadline and were able too complete the patio in time for an important July 4th event. They worked tirelessly BY HAND (no machines) to do this large patio (400 sq. ft) in our inaccessible back yard and were able to tie into existing hardscape beautifully. The crew was courteous, conscientious and professional in every way.

Description of Work
Pat and company created a brick patio in our Mac-Groveland backyard.

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 07/04/2018

Thank you for your project and your kind review. Please let us know if you need any other work to be done

07/09/2018

Chris B.

They got back to me immediately to let me know they couldn’t take my job because it’s outside their service area. Appreciated the prompt and professional reply!

Description of Work
I need a fence.

Category fencing

Work Completed On 07/09/2018

Thank you.

10/20/2017

Mary M.

First Class. I will definitely hire them again and recommend them to my neighbors.

Description of Work
My overgrown yard looked like a jungle. Small hitchhiking trees, vines, overgrown shrubs. The crew who cleared it were fast, efficient and followed my suggestions. They did more than I asked them to, making sure it was neat and tidy when they left. And they were nice to my dog.

Work Completed On 10/20/2017

Thank you very much for your business. Please feel free to call us anytime you need help.

05/03/2017

Kathleen and Peter O.

It went very well. They were timely, precise. They exceeded our expectations in terms of the contract. Fair price and they are very responsive.

Description of Work
They do weekly mowing and weed control.

Category lawn service, lawn treatment

Work Completed On 09/14/2016

Thank you for your patience. We hope we could be a help to you in the future.

11/23/2016

CHRISTINE B.

In the first year of working with PMH the relationship was good, but I experienced issues for the remaining years including: - Process: PHM operates on an assumptive renewal of services with the requirement that changes are mailed via USPS. He considers all contracts "evergreen" Furthermore, he asks for emails, but never acknowledges receipt which lead to the problems when he does not communicate with his teams. - The mowing was really short and often had missed spots. They would not make changes to the height. - I sent an email not to do fall clean up as I had a friend’s son work alongside me to do the job. We drove the leaves to the compost site. 2 days later, the PHM team buzzes though for 5 minutes and claims to have taken off an unrealistic volume of leaves. He then proceeded, with attempts to collect $380 a service I did not want, offering to only have me pay half. I declined. - In 2015 he plowed the neighbors, not my house. When I called to let him know, he argued with me for 20 minutes claiming at first that it was "drifting" and he was not coming back; then when it was acknowledged that it was the house next door, he proclaimed that he “can’t be expected to look at house numbers”. - In 2016, they did not bother to come out for 2 snowfalls over 1.5”. They were probably only out 3 times in 5 months for which I was charged $173 per month. - Cost: In four years my prices for snow went from $140-ish per month to $180 claiming every year that gas prices were going up. Seriously? $1.99 per gallon is up?? Do not take the option to let him charge your credit card for monthly service, the policies above make it very difficult to accept and acknowledge a cancellation.

Description of Work
PHM was hired initially to do summer moving, fall/spring clean up, and snow removal. Eventually the contract was limited to snow plowing over 4 years of service.

Category lawn service, snow removal

Work Completed On 11/23/2016

1). We provide service such as lawn cutting and landscape service for our customers based upon written request. When we receive a written request we write up a work order and we perform the service such as fall cleanups in a timely manner. It is not uncommon the customers clean up a yard partially or fully before we get there but they still want us to do a cleanup. We performed your cleanup October 30, 2014 during the day, but we received a written cancellation later that day in the US mail. When the invoice wasn't paid I sent a note along with another copy of the invoice. The note stated that we would be willing to compromise on the cleanup by 50% off due to the extenuating circumstances. I would have contacted by email or telephone but we never had in your file a contact phone number or email until just recently. The To this day we have not received payment for that invoice. With regard to billing, the previous fall cleanup 2013 was over 15% more than what we billed you for the 2014 fall cleanup. The disposal for the three cleanups that we had done for you, November 2013 through October 2014, were all around 2-3 yd.³ each. 2). We contact our snow removal customers at the beginning of March and again at the beginning of September letting them know what we will be charging for the next snow season. It clearly states in our renewal notice that you can send back the renewal to us in the write cancel on it and mail it back with the return envelope we provide. Otherwise as the letter states the service will begin November 1. We never heard back from you till after the beginning of the renewal. The renewal clearly states that we require customers to contacted 30 days prior to beginning services if they wish to cancel. We invoice the first of the month for that month worth of service. We bill all people who pay by credit card the first or the second of the month. All others customers are required to pay that months worth of service info by the 10th of the month. We had provided service for the entire month of November 2016 so that you were charge for it. 3). On rare occasions a account may by missed in the confusion of providing service in the middle of the night and not being able to identify houses correctly due to snow cover. This was a case with your house. Our policy is to provide service immediately as we did. On occasions some people feel that we should have taking care of their snow removal on the smaller snowfalls. Once we are contacted our policy is to immediately provide service then contact the customer to review their expectations and if need be to adjust Snow depth at which we begin service. We have some accounts that start off at 1/10 of an inch, and others not until 2 inches. We rely upon the customer to contact us if they feel they need more frequent service. Since we never heard from you on this we never address this matter. We determine snow depth by the report of the National Weather Service at the Minneapolis-[Member Information Removed]. Paul airport. Frequently we provide service for our accounts when what was reported from the National Weather Service does not seem to be reasonable for any particular neighborhood we provide service.

10/09/2016

Michelle K.

This is a rental property and we need to have reliable and timely mowing and show removal. We have found that PHM has done an excellent job maintaining this property. The yard is small and many other companies would not even quote the job for us. We appreciate that he offers a 10% Discount on selected services for Angie's List members.

Description of Work
Scheduled lawn and snow removal. Annual overseeding, fertilizing and aeration.

Cost $299.94

Work Completed On 09/30/2016

09/23/2016

barb E.

The crew that Pat sent did an excellent job and were polite and courteous. They came prepared with all the equipment and supplies needed to do their job as well as the clean up.

Description of Work
When I contacted Pat he suggested I write up a plan in regards to all the work I needed done around our office building and put it in priority order. Not only did this help with the bidding process but help us determine what really needed to be done. Services that needed to be done were garden cleanup, weed vanquishing, tree trimming and bushes trimmed.

Work Completed On 09/19/2016

Thank you for your review. We appreciate customers like you. I would have responded sooner but I only found these notifications today. Please feel free to call and ask for any additional services you may need.

09/19/2016

John V.

I cannot say enough good things about this crew. They arrived on time, worked hard, and left the place looking a lot better.

Description of Work
Lawn mowed, gardens weeded, mulch applied, general cleanup.

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch

Work Completed On 09/19/2016

Thank you for your review. I would have responded sooner but I only found your review today. Please feel free to call on us for any additional work you may need.

06/17/2016

Holly I.

They did a nice job, I think they talked about maybe being able to help me out with something else and I feel like they didn't contacted me back but that was okay they did the work, they did a nice job and I can always call them again if I need to. The worker said oh we be able to come back and do this like tomorrow and help fix your fence and getting it standing up right and then I told them that the people at the office and then I never heard back.

Description of Work
I used Murphy's Lawn & Landscape for lawn &yard work.

Work Completed On 06/17/2016

Thank you for your response. Although that this job was done last fall I do not recall talking to you about your fence but I do remember One of my workers mentioning to me that you may want some fence work. I apologize for not calling you back. Unfortunately we had some rather large job scheduled for the following weeks that took up all available time we had until November 24, 2015.

03/14/2016

Joseph S.

The experience is always positive! I have know Mr. Murphy for several years now. Also, a few years back, they laid pavers for my patio and driveway. That service was great as well.

Description of Work
They fertilize my lawn and also spray for weeds and grubs. ($160 per application)

Category lawn service, lawn treatment, patios

Work Completed On 03/14/2016

Thank you [Member Name Removed]. We very much appreciate your business.

11/09/2015

Robert A.

It was good and bad. The work they did was good. They came when they said they were going to come. But, it was clear from the beginning that for the guy who ran it, it was just sort of a come-on to add extra fees to it. Before they even showed up, he called me up to get my address so that he could send me the bills for the extras. They hadn't even been there yet. It clearly said in the write up that they would just bag the materials and leave it behind which we needed to take care of, which was easy to do. He hauled it away and charged me $100 to just haul a few bags. So it was $250. But he managed to figure out a way to add another $150 to it. Even though they did a good job, I wouldn't use them again and I wouldn't recommend them.

Description of Work
I purchased a big deal from them. It was $250 for four hours of lawn and landscape work. They did a fall cleanup.

Work Completed On 10/16/2015

I'm sorry I did not respond to your review sooner. I did not notice it when it was posted. I had quoted you that if we needed to haul any yard waste away it would cost $27.50 per cubic yard of debris hauled away. I'm more than happy to leave it at the property or we can spend time putting it into garbage bags for you. My workers and myself understood they were to haul the debris away. We would have been happy to leave the debris at your property and spend time to put it into garbage bags for you or we could have left it in a pile for you to put into bags. That is why I lead every customer know what we charge for disposal. I am sorry that you are disappointed in the overall project.

10/19/2015

Tami M.

We had a big shade tree washing out. We wanted to save that tree. Pat was great in helping us plan a way to do that. Mike worked very steady and hard with lots of hand digging. Installed the wall and drain field. It looks great!!

Description of Work
Extending a retaining wall. Installing a drain field from the patio. Adding soil and grass seed.

Category mulch, hardscaping

Work Completed On 09/10/2015

Thank you for your positive rating. Referrals are key to my company's success. Please let me know if you need any further assistance in the future. Again thank you for your business.

10/06/2015

MARK P.

They were on time, worked quickly, cleaned up and restored lawn. Wall is attractive.

Description of Work
Retaining wall behind pool, interlocking decorative blocks. Remove old railroad tie wall.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/01/2015

Thank you for your review. I hope to have you call on us for any landscape issues you have need of in the future. Pat Murphy.

09/10/2015

david E.

The crew was prompt and professional. They did a great job making an unruley hedge look great!

Description of Work
they came out and trimmed a large hedge along our house

Work Completed On 09/04/2015

Thank you for your positive review Please let me know if we can be assistance in the future.

08/24/2015

Kathleen B.

The crew showed up on time. They listened to what I needed done and were clear about what it would cost. The work was done to my satisfaction and they gathered the trimmings and disposed of them. Pat Murphy and his crew are professional and respectful of my time limitions. My yard looks great and I will definitely have them come again next year.

Description of Work
Murphy's Lawn and Landscaping trimmed all the shrubs around my home, cut a few branches off a tree, and removed 2 dead shrubs.

Category landscaping, lawn service

Work Completed On 08/14/2015

11/23/2014

David V.

They were effective, efficient and professional. The ash tree is still alive.

Description of Work
Trimmed trees and treated ash tree.

Category landscaping, lawn service, tree service