Metcalf Moving & Storage

Founded 1919 • With Angi since May 2010

4.2

1255 E Hwy 36

Saint Paul, MN 55109

We are a local, family owned and operated business, serving Minnesota since 1919. Metcalf Moving & Storage is headquartered not far from where Allen & Elna Metcalf started the business in 1919. Elna set up moves from the kitchen and Allen designed and built the first van body on an REO Speed Wagon.

11/16/2020

Murray M.

Actually the "Move" went very well. But "Consumer Beware" their initial Quote was a SHAM ! Their Estimator initially showed up at the house with his Clipboard and started listed items that had to be moved. Room by Room. After a short period, he just stopped listing items and just walked around. Also, paid no attention to items outside that also had to be moved. Here's the Deal :( The original Quote was for 1 Truck, 5 persons, 9-hours @ 256.00/HR a Total of $2,400.00 DO NOT rely on their Quotes. When all was said and done, the move ended up costing me over $7,500.00 It required 1-Truck, 2-days, 5 people each day. This was a local move. 6-miles from house to house. Everything was pre-packed by us, (no packing other than a few small loose items put into a used box), ready to go. Turns out that the Moving Crew (and Truck) were not Metcalf employees but Contracted help. No "Heads Up" from the estimator that this was going to be almost 3 times his original quote. Why I say, DO NOT rely on their QUOTE. Total Cost included Contractor charging 2 days of Port to Port from St Paul, MN to Minnetonka area.

Description of Work
House move from one location to another - local

07/22/2018

Barbara L.

I would never use Metcalf Moving & Storage again. The estimator underestimated the amount of packing required and the packing and loading team was upset about that. By the end of the day they were fighting amongst themselves and complaining that they wanted to get out of there for personal plans. They were also not careful in packing some delicate, high value items which broke even though I told them how they had to be packed. Antique light fixtures were forced into boxes that were too small damaging them and destroying their value and for some reason they removed the finials from my bed, never to be seen again. On the positive side, the driver and the crew that did the unloading were excellent. I was also disappointed in the insurance claim dept. Even though the adjuster approved the claim for the amounts requested, the company discounted certain items for no apparent reason. When I contacted them, they requested more documentation. After the documentation was submitted, they never responded to my emails.

Description of Work
packing and moving from MN to FL

12/08/2015

Valerie G.

Category moving companies

Thank you so much for your positive review! We're glad to have been able to assist you with your local move and wish you the best in your new home!

11/18/2015

Barbara D.

Description of Work
Opened call with big deal pitch, member gave 3 reviews.

Category moving companies

Thank you very much for this review! We are glad we were able to work with you this summer and fall. Please keep us in mind if we can help you or anyone you know in the future. We wish you the best in your new home!

11/02/2015

Jeff F.

Overall, they did a good job. They had a good team in Minnesota to load all our furniture on a truck, then had another local team in California to unload them into our new home. Both teams are very professional. We have a grand piano and I was a little concern that they may damage it or lost some pieces during the shipping, but they ended up did an excellent job on both ends and the piano was re-assembled smoothly and no damage and missing pieces at all. The only thing got damage during delivery is one of my boys' shelf. a corner was peeled off. But it was made using cheap synthetic wood. I feel they did a fine job considered this a 2000 mile shipment. My only complaint is that they delay the delivery for almost a week, so we had to live in a empty house for a while. Although they refunded us a few hundreds dollars based on the contract, honestly if we lived in a hotel, the amount of money would not even be able to pay for the hotel cost. The reason for the delay is because they cannot find a driver at Minnesota during the July 4th week to drive the truck all the way to California. To be fair, as there are too many uncertainties for the cross-state moving, I still feel they did a fine job overall.

Description of Work
They helped us moved from Minnesota to California.

Category moving companies

Thank you so much for your review! We are glad that you were pleased with your move. It is true that there are many more uncertainties with a long-distance move versus a local move (truck assignments, crew scheduling, DOT regulations, etc.). However, we strive to make every customer happy - that is our business. Enjoy your new home! Thanks again!

11/02/2015

DAVID W.

The initial estimate procedure was swift and the weight of my belongings matched two other bids. Communication was excellent due to a central person being my point of contact, before, during and after the move - when I asked when are things being delivered. The loading the truck procedure was efficient, courteous and professional. I have no complaints and it was a good experience for me. Nowadays I understand that one truck does not pick up your things and it drives to your new location - this all depends on other jobs they get along the way, in exactly the same timeframe. So initially, they presented this as the best option to me but that it could go commercial freight if no other people were moving at the same time, but in the end commercial freight was the only way to go - so I reset my expectations and everything turned out fine. No damage, and the other company who delivered the crates and unpacked them for me was also courteous and efficient and professional. Freight is so expensive and I really could not get a significantly lower bid from other movers, and in the end chose Metcalf for their efficiency of operations and personal touch - they wanted my business while other movers never even contacted me again.

Description of Work
Metcalf moved my household belongings from a 1-bedroom apartment in Saint Paul MN to Southern California. First they trucked my things to their warehouse, then they crated it all, and arranged for commercial shipping by commercial freight. Another company delivered everything to me a week later.

Category moving companies

Thank you very much for your great review! We're glad you were pleased and wish you the best in California!

07/28/2014

Sharon O.

UPDATE 10/06/2014: The furniture was finally delivered. They did a good job of bringing the furniture in. The only complaint I have is that we went way over our delivery date. We have called them everyday and they just have excuse after excuse for why they haven't delivered it yet. They always say they can't find a driver. We've talked to multiple people at the local shop and even people at corporate. As far as this experience has gone, I wouldn't use them in the future and I'd advise others to not use them as well.

Description of Work
They wrote up a contract and we all signed it. We agreed they’d deliver the furniture after the 21st of July when we were arrived in the new area. They contract states the very latest date is the 30th of July.

Category moving companies

[removed member name]- Thank you for your feedback. Your delivery was indeed five days late, which we truly regret. That is obviously not the service that we strive for. Our van line, Mayflower Transit, does provide a cash allowance in the event of a late delivery, which I believe you received, but if not please be sure to contact us. We at Metcalf have discussed your comments and also passed them on to Mayflower. Thank you again.

06/18/2014

ROLF B.

Just fine

Description of Work
Moved furniture and heirlooms from St. Louis Park to Seattle.

04/11/2014

Christopher C.

I contacted several movers with good or excellent ratings. Of those contacted, two performed on-site estimates. Metcalf was one of the two. The representative Ron contacted me immediately following my inquiry for services. He arranged for an in-home appointment and arrived on time as expected. He was professional and thorough in his estimate. I quickly received the full details of my estimate via email. Ron / Metcalf followed up in timely fashions without being too aggressive in their efforts to get me to select their services. Metcalf is a large company, and aligns with Mayflower moving. As such, my items would be moved with other households. As a result, Metcalf provided a bid about $800 less than the other mover I eventually selected. I chose the other option because they were able to load my belongings on a dedicated truck. Although this resulted in a higher cost, it was a personal decision. A major difference between a national and local mover is their ability to guarantee a load time. Because my move was tied to the closing of my home, timing was critical. In order to guarantee a time, Metcalf-Mayflower would have been required to charge an extra fee, which would have ended up bring the cost close to the other bid. If I were in the market for the same services, I would recommend Metcalf Moving & Storage for a long-distance move. I felt confident they would have provided a good moving experience, with a cost-effective price.

Description of Work
Metcalf Moving & Storage provided a quote and information regarding a pending cross-country move. They were efficient, prompt and professional in all my communications (phone and email). Cost for my move was very competitive!

Category moving companies

[name removed]- Thank you for your review and compliments to Ron and our company. You mentioned that you got two in-home estimates which is great, and we strongly advise customers to do that in order to avoid surprises. We're sorry we could not guarantee a load time for your long-distance move (we can typically guarantee a day for loading, just not always a time). And though we were not able to help you, we really appreciate your consideration!

04/02/2014

Susan H.

We love them. We've used them several times. A part of the cost was paid by the company. They were very personable. It may be a company I don't know but the woman on the phone is always the same and the people they sent were always wonderful. Nothing got mixed up and everything ended up where it belonged. They were very professional. We just use them often because we like them. We've already called them for a local move.

Description of Work
We used Metcalf Moving & Storage Co to move us from Cincinnati and store some stuff. They moved more stuff from Cincinnati part of it Minnesota and the other part to California.

Category moving companies

[Member name removed] - Thank you very much for your feedback - we appreciate our opportunities to have worked with you!

12/04/2013

DON L.

Ron Bowen wins 5 stars in our house. Metcalf moved us to two different locations and both went great. Ron helped us with both our local and national move giving us quotes before and after the packing was done. Metcalf supplied us with boxes for the local move and helped with packing on the national move. The movers were all great.

Description of Work
Split move, local and national.

08/21/2013

Kari A.

We contracted with this company 1 1/2 months prior to our move. Our sales person told us that although they have a 10 day delivery window, we should expect it far sooner. We were also told that the benefit of Metcalf/Mayflower was that the team that removes the items from our house will load directly into the moving van and they are the team that will drive it. 2 days before the scheduled move date, they told us they didn't have a driver assigned to our account. It was far too late for us to do anything about it - we were contracted with them and leaving in just a few days. They still came and boxed up our house and removed everything per the contract but moved it all into storage where it sat for 8 days. We were told they were storing it for us "for free" ... like we should be grateful when we just wanted our things delivered to us. Eventually they loaded everything into 3 containers. 2 containers left days before the last one did. All delivered 4 days past the worse-case delivery date. Quite a bit of damage. Son's bed completely destroyed (in pieces), dining room table wasn't covered yet layers of items stacked on top causing a gouge and scratches, water damage (from our "free storage") to couch, love seat, and dresser (also cuts on back of couch and love seat), family heirloom damaged (room screen that they laid sideways and had 3 layers of boxes stacked on top), and additional minor items damaged. Now we need to wait 2 weeks for an adjuster to even call to make the appointment to start our damage claim. Horrible service. Communication was consistent, I will give them that, but never a sense of accountability for any of it. They seemed to feel all of this should be expected in a move.

Description of Work
Contracted to box up our home and move us from MN to CA

05/20/2013

Jeffrey A.

The move was technically fine and on schedule. We did most of the packing, but some of what was done by Metcalf seemed a bit sloppy, though no damage has been noted so far. The problem was in cost. The major parts of the estimate were based on weight and time. Both were substantially underestimated, even though we were assured more than once that the estimate was very close. The weight ended up being 65% greater than estimated even though the items to be moved were thoughly discussed.

Description of Work
Household move with storage.

05/05/2013

Victoria R.

Metcalf/Mayflower packed the truck and moved my household items from Minnesota to Tennessee. They were very careful about preparing items for loading, especially the furniture, some of which were antiques. Everything was covered carefully and protected. The movers were professional and courteous. They arrived when they said they would. They called ahead before arriving at my new home. Those who unloaded were also careful and courteous. All my furniture arrived in good shape. All my items arrived. This was the best move experience I've had, and I've moved a number of times.

Description of Work
Packed all household items from my home onto van, moved them from Minnesota to Tennessee, unloaded items and put them into new house.

03/30/2012

Susan H.

I was very pleased with them. I have had none of my belongings broken, they were very responsible. The staff is so nice! The drivers are fabulous and the people on the phone are friendly and helpful. They are a bit pricy but I believe the quality of service is worth the cost. I would absolutely use them again.

Description of Work
I have used them several times as a moving service.

Legacy Moving Services

Legacy Moving Services is a fresh new face in the Moving Industry in MN! We are Owner-Operated with 12+ years experience as Professional Movers! Need packing? A specialty move such as a piano or heavy gun safe?? Or a full service move with all of the above?! We can help!

Award 2022
    Minutemen Haulers LLC

Minutemen Haulers offers both full and partial moving services in the greater Twin Cities area. We are a licensed and isured service with high-quality and experienced crews. We are a growing service that focuses on the customer experience during an often stressful moving period.

Award 2022
    Bester Brothers Transfer & Storage Company

Bester Brothers Transfer & Storage Company, based in South St Paul, MN, provides moving, transfer and storage services to the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul area. We serve residential and commercial customers, moving across town or across the country. We have been providing efficient, polite and economical services to our customers since 1917, and our company is still family owned and operated. Our name means top quality, top value service for your relocation and storage needs. We promise our personal attention for your upcoming move, including complete packing service. Bester Brothers' services include: • Local household moves • Long-distance household moves • Office, industrial and library moves • Mini storage units • Short and long term commercial storage • Piano and organ moving • Climate-controlled vaulted warehouse storage • Temporary container/trailer storage • Machinery rigging Our storage facility is ideal for storing furniture or boxes during your move. Our warehouse is temperature and humidity controlled and features a 24-hour alarm system. Indoor car and boat storage is available. Our company has steadily grown over our more than 95 years of existence. That experience in the moving and storage business enables our staff to concentrate on exceptional service, making the moving process a positive, stress-free experience for you. Call Bester Brothers today for a free estimate!

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check

Local, long-distance, international moves & storage.